Tires

GMTruckGuy74

Thanks to Satty's thread about W-bodies, it's allowed me to start a thread on what kind of tires people prefer. I've never really figured out the right way to decide on and purchase new tires. I used Consumer Reports back in '97 and didn't like the tires they recommended!! The Malibu is in need of new rubber, and I'm thinking of going with Goodyear Assurance ComforTred (current tires are factory-installed Bridgestone Insignia SE P215/60R16 94S M+S <--- not great tires IMO). Whenever I've had Goodyear tires on a car, I've always liked the way they've performed.

Now I'm actually holding off buying them because I was waiting to see if there would be any good summer incentives that might convince me to trade-in the 'bu. The 0%-72 mos doesn't interest me enough because I'm not too thrilled to pay for a car over a six year period. New tires will be needed soon if a new ride isn't purchased!

Please post what brand of tires you like and why.

If I was buying new tires for the GTO, it'd either be Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3s (I think that's what they're called), Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s, or Pirreli P Zero Nero M+S.

There are plenty of good tires out there though. I'd search on tire rack and see what people have to say about tires that will fit the Malibu.

WMJ, who makes Duralon tires and where can you buy them at? Do you really recommend them? The wife drives a 64-mile roundtrip commute, so I need to make sure that the tires are reliable and dependable.

AAS, I too am partial to Goodyear. Our '00 GP GT sedan had them from the factory as does my '07 SKY; I've also had them on a '92 Cavalier Z24, '78 Camaro LT, and my dad's '88 Ranger 2wd. The Bridgestone tires on the 'bu now from the factory suck (I noticed at 33k they were starting to wear out; now at almost 36k and driving back from Carlisle in the rain Saturday I wasn't too confident at speeds higher than 40 MPH), and I forget what tires came on our '03 Rendezvous, but they needed to be replaced before they hit 40k too (they weren't Goodyears!).

Anyone else have their experiences to add?

Thanks Northie for that suggestion; I'll go check out that site now. :)

If I was buying new tires for the GTO, it'd either be Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3s (I think that's what they're called), Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s, or Pirreli P Zero Nero M+S.

There are plenty of good tires out there though. I'd search on tire rack and see what people have to say about tires that will fit the Malibu.

I've never been a big fan of Goodyear.

I have had cars with Goodyear, Michelin, BFG, and now Bridgestone Potenzas on the GXP.

A lot of it depends on how much you spend. I think Goodyears are overpriced for what you get.

Disclaimer: I at one time worked for a tire company, so maybe I am a bit biased (no pun intended).

Michelins for me. They have always been very reliable and long-lasting.

If the car is toward the end of its life cycle, like now, and I am getting tires which I am doing after the 4th of July, then I go for the entry level price at Costco. For my sled, those will be BF Goodrich.

Wider is better!

Posted Image

Seriously, Duralon makes a very good tire at a fair price.

You know the only reason that guy has an extra set of tires is so that he doesn't flip over. :lol:

If that thing did flip, it'd never get back on its feet.

Edited by aaaantoine

I had Bridgestone Potenza S-03's previously...They were a decent tire...Great performance...ride quality wasn't amazing and road noise could get bad...I now have Michelin Pilot Sport PS/2's and they are an excellent tire...a bit more expensive than my S-03's were, but they are fantastic...

Very good expirence with Kelly Chargers (i think thats what there called). Also My Toyo's where very very very good Tires. Have had good luck with Yokahama too. DONT BY RUPLICS though since 35,000 and i need new tires. Bald and cant take corners for &#036;h&#33;. but they were $17 installed each lol.

My family swears by Michelin and BFGs now. We have had goodyears but they wear really bad......

If I were you, I would buy my tires from Costco (if there is one in your area) They have the best tires at the best prices and they have great warranties and tire service.

I heart Costco

I'm sure a lot of you might know this, but some may not so here goes...

Goodyear (US): Goodyear, Dunlop, Kelly, Fulda, Sava

Continental (Germany): Continental, Uniroyal (in Europe), Semperit, Barum, General Tire, Euzkadi, Viking, Gislaved and Mabor

Bridgestone (Japan): Bridgestone, Firestone, Dayton, Duralon, Lemans

Cooper (US): Cooper, Avon, Dean, Kenda, Mastercraft, Oliver, Starfire

Pirelli (Italy): Pirelli

Michelin (France): Michelin, Uniroyal (US), BF Goodrich

Sumitomo (Japan): Sumitomo

Edited by Olds Guy

Like most of the ones I didnt include, Yokohama is their own company.

This list also leaves out all of the tiny brand names that are actually made by larger companies. Those are much harder to keep track of.

Interesting, Olds Guy, I didn't know Michelin made BFG.

Do you know who makes Yokohamas?

Thanks for the reply WMJ. I don't know about adding a Costco membership - I already have a personal membership & a business membership to BJ's and a business membership to Sam's Club. I don't know if I can afford one more membership - and there is a Costco not too far from me! :P

I took AAS's suggestion and spent some time at TireRack.com doing some tire research. It looks like Goodyear's Assurance ComforTred and Michelin's Harmony tires are highly recommended (more the Goodyear than Michelin tires though; many Aerostar owners have bought the Harmony tires while more Malibu owners bought the ComforTred tires). The qualities of the Goodyear tires (comfortable ride, good handling, good dry & wet handling) are drawing me more to these tires over the Michelins.

Sometime between tomorrow and next week I'll start calling around for price quotes. Unless I follow a few of the other C&Ger's and go buy a new GM vehicle during the 0% for 72 months sale!!! :P:lol:^_^

I put a set of bridgestone turanzas on the impala after I got it. They are a real nice tire IMO, quiet, smooth, and with over 35000 on them they are wearing nicely and still have quite a bit of tread left even with mostly city driving. The guy who owned my suburban before me had put a set of cheapie's on not long before he traded it in, so I worked out a deal with the salesman and they ended up throughin in a new set. I put on Goodyear Wranglers RT/S. I am in fields a lot and do a lot of winter driving with the suburban. They are great off-road tires, while still being relatively quiet on the road. I hear some tire hum on certain surtane surfaces, but that comes with added off-road capability. I am told that they are good winter tires as well.

As for the goodyear assurance they are a good tire, a little overprices IMO, but regardless they are a great tire. A freind of mine has them on his Grand Prix and he won't quit raving about them. The do excellently in both rain and snow, and are a very nice riding, quiet tire. good luck

To me, the tire seems to affect the car, so the tire would depend upon the car I'm driving.

That said, I've never been a fan of the Goodyear RS/A that continues to be used on GM's sedans. I've had mostly crappy experiences with them on my Monte Carlo, and other cars wearing them.

Cordovan is another small brand that I've used about 5 times on different vehicles. Good tire, very good longevity, great price. On the East Coast, RS Strauss sells them; not sure where else they're available. Last time I checked, they were made in the U.S..

I do like Goodyears, tho they are a bit more in price than many others. I put a set of Michelins on my truck the last time and I don't like them- too squishy and they scrub in sharp turns. They are standard load when I should have extra loads, but the truck isn't that heavy and they should not be this awful. I suppose with the way they traditionally wear, they'll be on there forever.

I have to buy a new set of 245/75-16s for the Silverado... not sure what to get yet. Has Hankooks on it now- seem good tho I've been told they are very pricey.

To me the tire companies all have good tires and tires that are long due for improvement.. Take Goodyear, who make a very good allseason tire with the Triple Tred, but you buy a car with OEM Goodyears on it and they are likely crappy Goodyear Eagle LS or RSA's.