SCOUT Returns with All New EV Truck and SUV

G. David Felt

2024-10-24_19-49-39.PNG

Two years in the making, President and CEO, Scout Motors, Scott Keogh made the following statement:

“Two years in the making, the day has finally come to share the next generation of Scout vehicles with the world. The original core idea — rugged, versatile vehicles capable of off-road adventure and family duty — is more relevant than ever. We couldn’t be prouder to revitalize this iconic American brand, create thousands of American jobs, and put American ingenuity back to work.”

In revealing the all-new electric Scout Traveler SUV and Scout Terra truck concepts, Scout ushers in a new era of EVs with the following bold statement:

• A bold, iconic design with multifunctional spaces built for gathering and connection; the Connection Machine™
  • Body-on-frame chassis, solid rear axle, and front and rear mechanical lockers deliver robust capability and off-road performance
  • Projected towing of over 7,000 pounds for the Scout Traveler and over 10,000 pounds for the Scout Terra, both with nearly 2,000 pounds of payload
  • Anticipated 0-60 miles per hour (mph) in as quick as 3.5 seconds is made possible by an estimated nearly 1,000 lb.-ft. of torque through the four-wheel-drive system
  • Scout vehicle software will be built upon a modern zonal architecture, enabling over-the-air updates, remote diagnostic, and enhanced customer lifetime value
  • Fully electric models are anticipated to offer up to 350 miles of range, extended range variants are projected to offer more than 500 miles of range through a built-in, gas-powered generator
  • An exclusive Scout Motors sales and service network will provide direct sales from Scout Motors to customers and embraces the same modern, seamless, customer-first philosophy that defines Scout vehicles
  • Traveler entry model starting as low as $50,000 with available incentives, with retail prices starting under $60,000.3 Terra entry model starting as low as $51,500 with available incentives, with retail prices starting under $60,000.3 Initial production targeted for 2027. 
  • Consumers can make a reservation to order their Scout Traveler or Scout Terra beginning at 6:30 p.m. EDT on October 24, 2024, at www.scoutmotors.com

Engineered for work and play, the Scout Traveler and Terra offer up to 35-inch tires, over 1 foot of ground clearance, nearly 3 feet of water fording capability, front sway bar disconnect, front and rear mechanical lockers, competitive approach and departure angles and robust competition suspension options.

Modern Auto tools for today can be ordered in two formats, 100 percent battery electric offering up to 350 miles of pure EV range or in range extended configuration allowing more than 500 miles of range with a built-in gas generator. Both systems will preserve the Scout off-road characteristics and packaging benefits of a pure electric powertrain. Both power train options will ensure Scout Motors can respond to an evolving market demand.

All Scout Motor vehicles will come standard with the NACS (North America Charging Standard) port, 800-volt architecture, 350 kilowatt charging that is also bi-directional. Scout will leverage over-the-air (OTA) software architecture updates, snappy touchscreen interface, high-resolution camera views and personalization for an ultimate user experience.

Scout vehicles will have gold club fitting front trunks (Frunks), multiple 120V outlets, USB-C power ports and for the Terra truck a 5 1/2ft bed that will have two 120V and a single 240V outlets in the bed for heavy duty tool usage on the job site or home appliance usage for power outages at home or whatever you desires might be for plugged in options.

Scout Motors has listened and been guided by the customer. The EREV (extended range electric vehicle) system is called Harvester.  The gas-powered generator delivers on a refuel anywhere you can find a pump or plug, while maintaining the packaging and performance benefits of an electric vehicle. The Harvester energy system delivers the benefits the customers have asked for in their lifestyle that works for them.

Scout Motors

View full article

Good looking truck and SUV...definitely some Rivian vibes in the shape.  Will be interesting to see how it does as a new brand w/ a retro name and a few small retro details....probably very few shoppers today remember the old International Scouts considering they have been gone over 40 years. 

• Drew Dowdell changed the title to SCOUT Returns with All New EV Truck and SUV

:wub::wub::wub::wub:

Ready to cancel the EValanche and R2 reservations for one each of these.  These are suppose to have CarPlay.

Just need to find out what the tow hitch rating will be.

Edit: It looks like I'd be fine. I need a 600 lbs. tongue weight rating to put the motorcycle carrier on the back. So I'd just need one equipped for 6,000 lbs or more of towing. 

Yes. The pick-up does have Rivian vibes. But better looking vibes.  In my eyes, the Rivian signature front fascia is just weird lookin'.  I dont like all that lightbar across the whole front end with those weirdly stacked headlight look which aint even stacked headlights.  I didnt like that front end then when first introduced and I havent much endeared to it now. 

The Scout SUV is a cool shape. I like how it keeps the C-Pillar from its classic predecessor.  I also get Ford Bronco vibes from it.   All the Scout SUVs of the  1960s and 1970s had similar vibes to the Bronco of that period so its only fitting that the ressurected versions of both keep the vibes the same 50 years later.

I also think its fine for people that do not have access to a home charger or work charger or have access to any kind of charger that is convenient for them to charge their EV.  Hybrids or gas generator charger type of EVs like gm's former Voltec tech and in this Scout are great solutions.  But I feel its just masking the incredibly lazy attitude and/or reluctance of a subset of American (and Canadian) people to accept the fact that the world is going all EV.   What we should be doing of course IS erecting EV chargers...

The EV deniers are always complaining about EV range forcing EV makers in this stupid part of the world to offer htis kind of thing. Because us North Americans simply just cant get off the oil addiction we have. 

Its a tired argument we have had in this forum here and all of our resident EV deniers have all quit this website. BUT...there are plenty of these EV denying morons left in our society despite them not posting at this website...

*sigh* 

All over the world, solar powered EV stations are being erected and new business solutions and city planning to go along with it have been invented, produced and practiced but still in 2024 in North America, we still whine about range anxiety...

At least in California, yeah...liberal batshyte crazy California, they emulate what the rest of the world is doing.

Amenity packed EV charging stations... 

P1044374-e1727900082612.jpg?quality=82&strip=all&w=1600

Its not as if gasoline stations do that...in Quebec they do.  Costco also does. 

Besides, gasoline stations especially in North America already have gasoline stations strategically PERFECT for gas powered cars to fuel up. And they are EVERYWHERE.  All they have to do is just add EV chargers and BECAUSE they are EVERYWHERE, NOBODY shpuld be complaing that EV chargers cannot be found.  And BECAUSE its big oil PRIVATELY OWNED gasoline stations, MAINTENANCE on the chargers WOULD be done... and therefore range anxiety is done for in North America.   But we gots to be always be pushing for that anti-EV/pro gasoline tirade.  If DJT wins, he would be drilling baby....  Its not as if big oil in Europe hasnt done the transition and will be following through to what I have said...

Shell opens its first EV charging hub | EV Charge +

What I find extremely funny is that all this whining and we the people and our Automakers GM and Ford in Canada and in the US has forced our political leaders to put a 100% tax tariff on Chinese EVs so Chinese automakers cant sell their EVs here. 

So there IS a market for 100% EVs in North America WITHOUT hybrid or Votlec type technology is alls Im saying.  Its just that like everything else in North America concerning the dumb populace coupled with the grift political leaders we like to cling to, we like to dumb down everything for these idiots.  Hybrids is the way to go we say.  Yet the technology to let go of gasoline powered cars is right here right now. And the beauty of it is that our own auto manufacturers have the EV technology to rule the world. But our idiotic dumb populace hamper North American progress... 

• Oh Yeah! 1

@Drew Dowdell @oldshurst442 @Robert Hall @ccap41 @surreal1272 @A Horse With No Name

I know I missed some of the other regulars and hopefully they will stop by and chime in with their thoughts. 

I have to say that I totally agree with this story, I believe that while gas stations are not going to go away in the near future, being the next 2 to 3 decades, they will die if they DO NOT EVOLVE!!!

The future is that with EVs, folks that want to get their grocery shopping done, cloths shopping at a mall, watch a movie, etc. any place they go like a sporting event are going to want to plug in and let their EV charge up while they do other things and it will be no different than today with Cell Phones and Smart Watches where you plug them in before going to bed.

Good Read and spot on imho.

EV charging stations could become America’s next ‘third place’ as they partner with grocers and coffee shops

I do agree that 3rd place spaces are needed and are in decline, but I dont agree with this statement here (the bolded part):

Much has been said and written about the death of the third place—spaces where we meet people and socialize that are not work or home. While my work driving electrification forward means I’m all for tech advancements, the race to automation has indeed slashed the human aspect of what used to be more personal services. Third places to mingle outside of work and home have grown obsolete, sparking a startling loneliness epidemic amid a lack of in-person connection. Gen Zers, the top victims of this crisis wielding an ever-increasing buying power, are now calling out companies to turn back the clock and begin taking the third place’s demise seriously.

Its up to the Millennials and the Gen Zers to make a 3rd space place for themselves and NOT corporations or companies...

All they have to do is put down the damned smartphone or tablet and cease the utilization of social platforms and social medias and actually go out and meet REAL people.  They could decide what would be those 3rd place spaces and the corporate world or mom and pop shop businesses would GLADLY set up shop and do business...

For Boomers and Gen Xers, bars and dance clubs would be those 3rd place spaces. As would video movie rentals. Granted, Gen Xers would be responsible for the demise of the video movie rental place as such a space, but we did do the club scene quite well as the Boomers did.  Boomers had drive-in movie theatres and movie houses as did we. Boomers had milkshake diners with roller skating waitresses serving them and then went on cruising with their cars. As did we. We didnt really have the roller skating waitresses but we did have the roller skating rinks that the Boomers left us.  We actually left the house to do things is what Im getting at and NOT have fake friends on social media platforms tik toking away and ordering Uber Eats to deliver our food and streaming movies from the comfort of our homes...alone and even of we were with another loner friend or two, we actually had CONVERSATIONS with our MOUTHES and not texting away.    Like I said, Gen Xers killed the movie rentals, but we did socialize in ANY environment.  If Gen Xers and Millennials want to have 3rd place spaces, THEY need to create them and ditch the loner enabling lifestyle of what is the smartphone and tablet...   Their actual 3rd place space is the VIRTUAL one in EVERY aspect of their lives. Its up to them to ditch that lifestyle...

• Agree 1

Id like to add:

When batteries finally reach charging times equivalent to gasoline fueling times, EV charging stations as 3rd place spaces will cease to be a thing. And that is JUST around the corner. 2-3-4 years away? Possibly 5 or even 6?  (We have had this convdersation 8 years ago in these threads...in this website. Time flies...and technology improves just as fast...)  And then EV charging stations will just become the next gasoline pump station.  But again, gasoline pump stations already EXIST at strategically perfect locations in urban and in rural areas all over the industrialized world where cars roll.  A huge advantage though with EV charging stations is that electricity travels on its own with the help of long distance wires that only need to be installed once, but more effectively than that, is that solar panels attached to the roofs of the charging hubs could turn solar light into electrons and keep the electricity tank full...

And quite honestly, with 300 mile ranges and in 2024, we have reached 400 mile ranges with EXISTING battery tech in our EVs today, plus the quick charging times of 8-15 minutes netting you 80-120 miles of range, EV charging stations as 3rd place spaces is probably not going to happen.  All we need though is MORE strategically placed EV charging hubs...   Gasoline stations SHOULD be THAT destination RIGHT now.  The Rove concept is soooooo a decade ago. THAT business model SHOULD have been done a DECADE ago.   Quebec HAD that idea a decade ago give or take and we did install some EV charging stations at some participating Quebec based restaurant chains and grocery stores.  Never went full on but we did start it and we kinda continue on with that model.  

Imagine what infrastucture we could have had a DECADE ago when Elon was sort of normal and business savvy people where more focused and moronic and agenda driven conmen were NOT filling up the world with miss and diss information...    The transition from ICE to EV might have been done ALREADY here in North America. The tech on effeciancy of solar panels exploded in the last ten years. So has the EV cars and especially the battery tech.  Ford and gm might not have needed to ask Biden and Trudeau to tariff Chinese EVs at 100%...

The Equinox EV would have reached production 2 years ago and gm might have had that elusive 30 000 doallr EV RIGHT now... Elon too, might have ditched his Cybertruck and would have had the INCENTIVE to actually PRODUCE his version of a REAL 30 000 dollar Tesla...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Like I said, Gen Xers killed the movie rentals, but we did socialize in ANY environment.  If Gen Xers and Millennials want to have 3rd place spaces, THEY need to create them and ditch the loner enabling lifestyle of what is the smartphone and tablet...   Their actual 3rd place space is the VIRTUAL one in EVERY aspect of their lives. Its up to them to ditch that lifestyle...

3rd space..even 2nd space feels like an alien space at this point in time.  Working out of my house I find myself going out far less than I did in my 30s 20 years ago...when I had an office (2nd space) and the bars (3rd space) where I'd hang out w/ my work team for happy hour or w/ friends... much more insular now than when I was young.   As I lurch towards retirement within a decade, I see the 2nd space and 3rd space being an RV or maybe a vacation lake house here in Ohio and/or a winter condo somewhere warmer...

• Like 1

@oldshurst442 @Robert Hall @Drew Dowdell @trinacriabob @A Horse With No Name @ccap41 @surreal1272

So I have seen a ton of writeups this week and it seems this old school feature is having a revival as so many folks have posted about it online that they are excited by this.

Front Bench Seat as an option in both Truck and SUV.

The Scout EVs Have One Incredible Throwback Feature

Thoughts on this guys? Yea / Neah ???????

Find this comparison an interesting read, seems they are more alike in various ways and yet very different in others such as the solid axles compared to the modern independent axles of Rivian.

Thoughts on this?

Scout Traveler Vs. Rivian R1S: How Do They Compare?

1 minute ago, G. David Felt said:

@oldshurst442 @Robert Hall @Drew Dowdell @trinacriabob @A Horse With No Name @ccap41 @surreal1272

So I have seen a ton of writeups this week and it seems this old school feature is have a revival as so many folks have posted about it online that they are excited by this.

Front Bench Seat as an option in both Truck and SUV.

The Scout EVs Have One Incredible Throwback Feature

Thoughts on this guys? Yea / Neah ???????

It's a novelty...I suppose some would like it,  I'd prefer have buckets and a center console with storage space. 

• Thanks 1

Totally agree with why Scout Motors has stated they will NOT have a dealership network, but their own stores.
Dealers will not die in my life time, but I can see in 50 years dealerships not being much around.
https://insideevs.com/news/738792/scout-motors-dealer-challenge-sales/

45 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

3rd space..even 2nd space feels like an alien space at this point in time.  Working out of my house I find myself going out far less than I did in my 30s 20 years ago...when I had an office (2nd space) and the bars (3rd space) where I'd hang out w/ my work team for happy hour or w/ friends... much more insular now than when I was young.   As I lurch towards retirement within a decade, I see the 2nd space and 3rd space being an RV or maybe a vacation lake house here in Ohio and/or a winter condo somewhere warmer...

Yes!!!

But you have reached that point of time in your life where "get off my lawn" is in your lexicon. Which is the next step in your life. You earned that. Some other folk our age, you are slightly older than I but still, prefer to do world cruises and be surrounded by other same minded folk.  Others like to do bingo nights. Maybe that is/was a Boomer thing. Cruises were a Boomer thing but Gen Xers do it too.  

Millennials and to a certain degree Gen Zers, have isolated themselves on their own at very young ages. We socialized when we were young. They do the old geezer thing at their prime of their young lives.  

Gen Xers also have isolated themselves in that very same way, waaaaay before our old timer ages, but at least we HAD a social youth to begin with.  

I have ranted a lot about dumb populaces and greedy conmen and politicians lately and i also have blamed all that on us because we have aloud the degradation of our social lives to these types.  But still, the whole bunch of us STILL like to blame others for OUR poor choices.  Zuckerberg introduced Facebook to us and the Twitter dude for us to Tweet which he became 44 billion dollars richer when Elon bought it from him yet he is STILL involved with Twitter now X, but the USERS of these platforms are ULTIMATELY to BLAME because we STILL choose to use these shytty things... We KNOW its detrimental, yet we dont let go. And we as a society allow journalism to not only acknowledge the but to normalize the problem and blame the problem unto someother scapegoat but we never seem to actually FIX the problem which is to STOP with the social media platforms.  

Its the same with the economy. We KNOW inflation exists and we know that it will FOREVER exist and we KNOW that we cant afford things and all of that jazz, but we lay blame to this guy and that guy and this politician and that politician and that political party and that political party and we blame high interest rates and greedy bankers and all of that yet the one solution to NOT spend money and NOBODY acknowledges that or does that. We all do the opposite of that...

19 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

It's a novelty...I suppose some would like it,  I'd prefer have buckets and a center console with storage space. 

I second that.  Although I LOVE bech seats, I have come accustomed to a center console myself.  And Im not so sure modern folk would like bench seats.   In a techy world filled with many selfish gadgets are abound like a smartphone or a Yeti and Stanley cup for our liquid quenching needs as we drive, modern folk would find a bench seat very annoying.  Ironically, not realizing how cozy it is to have a lover sit close to you while we drive.  Ironically, I have seen some porn where love making is posted on the interwebs while the self driving car is engaging is self driving but the love making is soooo ackward because of said center console.  And tbhis is the irony, how much easier it is to love make when there is NO center console and its just a bench seat rendering "socializing" easier...

But then again, I am of age that love making in a car would be too uncomfortable as my wife and I are no longer as flexible. BUT...like my previous rant above, been there done that when I was younger. There is no need for me to explore that kind of thing anymore... 

Again...its up to the Millennials and the Gen Zers to explore and discover those joys. Boomers and Gen Xers already experimented with that. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I second that.  Although I LOVE bech seats, I have come accustomed to a center console myself.  And Im not so sure modern folk would like bench seats.    

Yeah, this is what I'm used to...cupholders, room for my cell phone, nav screen and Apple Car Play.. all the usual modern conveniences.

But sometimes I'd like an '80s interior w/ bench seat and column shift and those comfy sofa seats...

2019_cadillac_ct6_dashboard.jpg

1984_cadillac_fleetwood_brougham_interior_by_creativet01_dfd1zso-fullview.jpg

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, this is what I'm used to...cupholders, room for my cell phone, nav screen and Apple Car Play.. all the usual modern conveniences.

But sometimes I'd like an '80s interior w/ bench seat and column shift and those comfy sofa seats...

2019_cadillac_ct6_dashboard.jpg

1984_cadillac_fleetwood_brougham_interior_by_creativet01_dfd1zso-fullview.jpg

I have nothing against the captain chairs in the front as the support and comfort especially on road trips is very comfy over a bench seat. 

My problem with today's autos is the center console eats up so much damn leg room that for a big guy, the center console you show above by Cadillac is terrible for those with large thighs/legs on how it cuts into the leg space and why I have come to really love the leg space in my EV9 while still giving the storage and utility that we all like with our Yeti Mugs, cell phones etc.

20240429_091909.jpg.b0cbf183bf13acbb5f5a

I can totally see in a Pickup Truck a bench seat over an SUV as trucks tend to not do road trips as much as SUVs or cars and as such, the utility of a bench seat in a truck especially for dump runs where you need a few extra sets of hands to unload, or other projects totally makes sense to me.