2017 Lincoln Navigator - Thoughts?

ccap41

Hey guys!

I kind of accidently came across this while just looking for something to fit our needs. I certainly don't need something quite this large, but it does seem pretty awesome.

So anyway, I came across a 2017 Lincoln Navigator Reserve priced at 18,7XX. It does have a lot of miles, but all full-size SUVs(regardless of brand) seem to last forever as long as you don't neglect them. It has 128k on the odometer already. It kind of worries me, but it isn't 1990 and vehicles last a heck of a lot longer than they used to. This price is what really made me look into it further because it's really good. Most anything else full size has either more miles or costs considerably more. This more or less "fell into my lap" while just looking for other vehicles to replace the MKC.

It's the last year of this generation of Navigator along with the final year of the gen1 EcoBoost and 6spd auto. I would have to imagine that combination should be pretty bulletproof at the last year of production, right? FWIW, this is a 380hp/460tq version of the gen1 EcoBoost. The previous owners seem to have maintained it pretty well with oil change intervals of 5-8k. I have read these EcoBoosts need frequent oil changes and not to exceed 5k with full syn. That part isn't an issue for me, but the previous owners weren't as strict as I would be. in addition to the oil change intervals, Per the Carfax, and what I saw in person, it has all new front brakes (pads and rotors) and wheel bearings. It also has a brand new set of tires on it (a brand I don't recognize and not what I'd choose, but still great to have). 

My wife and I went and looked at it in person Saturday, after hours, to just get an idea of how clean or not clean it was on the outside. It's surprisingly REALLY clean. I figured there would at least be a scuffed wheel or two, but there wasn't. 

Well guys, what do you think? 

Here are some pictures from their website, that I also linked below.

f2e4325ff5c6b451c7175ed6e9398fe9x.jpg

fb2e4bb5c44319372d7eec911d254c92x.jpgd1a6f18e1b8b991243dd30c024dd5514x.jpga9398df87ca989cabf033995a0f4d313x.jpg

https://www.stauntonchrysler.com/used/Lincoln/2017-Lincoln-Navigator-a7f35ee3ac18177fef5a1c1aa81e45c7.htm

She ain't purdy, but she'll do.

Keep in mind that while these might be able to run on regular, you will feel the difference both in refinement and fuel economy if you do. They much prefer premium. Other than that, they are fairly solid. Some of them have run into VVT actuator issues that make them sound like they have a valve tap, but at this mileage, if it hasn't already happened, you're probably good. 

My issue with it is the price for the miles. I think you can do a better price for that mileage or lower milage for that price.  

39 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

My issue with it is the price for the miles. I think you can do a better price for that mileage or lower milage for that price.  

Genuinely not trying to be a dick, but can you find something that fits that in your area? I've come across a '17 Expedition Limited for basically the same price w/ 110k miles on it...but it's 5 hours away. My wife and I used to be totally down to make a trip for a vehicle that fits our budget and vehicle criteria, but it's a little different with a little one now. I don't think I'd make a 10hr round trip purchase with a 9mo old. 

I pretty much find the opposite without going considerably older. I should also note that the 17's have CarPlay and anything older does not, at least at Ferd. I'm not tied to Ford/Lincoln, they just seem to be cheaper than the GM triplet. 

52 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

She ain't purdy, but she'll do.

Yeah, it's one of those ugly vehicles that I still think look kind of good. If that even makes sense, Hahaha. 

I'm trying to think of another ugly vehicle that I like, but nothing is popping into be head right now. 

22 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Genuinely not trying to be a dick, but can you find something that fits that in your area? I've come across a '17 Expedition Limited for basically the same price w/ 110k miles on it...but it's 5 hours away. My wife and I used to be totally down to make a trip for a vehicle that fits our budget and vehicle criteria, but it's a little different with a little one now. I don't think I'd make a 10hr round trip purchase with a 9mo old. 

I pretty much find the opposite without going considerably older. I should also note that the 17's have CarPlay and anything older does not, at least at Ferd. I'm not tied to Ford/Lincoln, they just seem to be cheaper than the GM triplet. 

Well, what's more important to you? Budget or Mileage?

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Well, what's more important to you? Budget or Mileage?

Budget. If this weren't priced right, I wouldn't consider it. We don't NEED this vehicle or something this large. 

I just really despise most anything else in this year-range that's a smaller 3-row SUV, Traverses, Explorers, Highlanders, basic-Durangos, whatever-Kia/Hyundai-3-row-SUV-that's-boring-as-fck-too.

I've been keeping an eye out for the 03-05 Aviators. They're either all trashed or asking 10-12k for one with less than 100k miles. They just don't seem worth it, even though I think they're cool. 

I've also been keeping an eye out on the 06-10 Explorers with the 4.6, but almost everybody ordered theirs with the slow and inefficient 4.0 V6. 

43 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I don't think you guys realize how well all of these full-size SUVs hold their value. 

image.png.57bef01948f47f4534954576d02d6c2b.png

Those all seem really overpriced. If it's not an urgent need, I'd continue to wait and look. Keep in mind that in 2020, I bought a 7-year-old Avalanche with 12k miles for $32k. A 2017 Tahoe today is the same age as my Avalanche was then. 

What about an XC90? Used 2017 Volvo XC90 | Carvana

Or Ford Flex (people who have them, love them) Used 2018 Ford Flex | Carvana

Or you can stick with the ugly duckling theme - Used 2019 Lincoln MKT | Carvana

Even a Mercedes GL - https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/3244088

Finding a GL on CarMax and getting the Car Max warranty would be the nicest long term option.

20 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Those all seem really overpriced. If it's not an urgent need, I'd continue to wait and look. Keep in mind that in 2020, I bought a 7-year-old Avalanche with 12k miles for $32k. A 2017 Tahoe today is the same age as my Avalanche was then. 

What about an XC90? Used 2017 Volvo XC90 | Carvana

Or Ford Flex (people who have them, love them) Used 2018 Ford Flex | Carvana

Or you can stick with the ugly duckling theme - Used 2019 Lincoln MKT | Carvana

Even a Mercedes GL - https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/3244088

Finding a GL on CarMax and getting the Car Max warranty would be the nicest long term option.

Yes, those are all expensive but that's what most of the asking prices are on full size SUVs... That's why 18,700 really isn't that bad of a starting point, at least IMO. 

Considering budget is of the most important things here, none of those are even under 20k. 

Flexes aren't a bad idea. They're kind of along the lines of ugly and cool, actually. MKTs are just the worse looking vehicles made in the last 20 years. I hate those things so got damn much, Hahaha. 

19 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Now that you're in Dad-of-Two mode, a Honda Pilot is probably the most fiscally responsible, if not the most exciting, choice. 

What's exciting about a Pilot? Some n/a v6 with no torque? I'm sure it's a great overall vehicle.. It's just as boring as a Traverse or Explorer though. 

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yes, those are all expensive but that's what most of the asking prices are on full size SUVs... That's why 18,700 really isn't that bad of a starting point, at least IMO. 

Considering budget is of the most important things here, none of those are even under 20k. 

Flexes aren't a bad idea. They're kind of along the lines of ugly and cool, actually. MKTs are just the worse looking vehicles made in the last 20 years. I hate those things so got damn much, Hahaha. 

What's exciting about a Pilot? Some n/a v6 with no torque? I'm sure it's a great overall vehicle.. It's just as boring as a Traverse or Explorer though. 

What does the trade-in on the MKC look like? If I recall, it is completely paid off. The problem I foresee with something like a Navigator or Tahoe is that they can really trap you financially, especially at mileage that high. You're into a vehicle with those kind of miles, with poor fuel economy, for close to $20k out the door. If repairs don't get you, the fuel mileage will.  A Flex might only be rated for 23mpg highway, but it will actually hit it (and possibly beat it), the Navigator won't. Any out the door savings you might see getting that Navigator will get eaten up in the first 2 years at the gas pump even before you have to start putting money into repairs. 

image.png

Every 1,000 miles costs you $164 in fuel in a Pilot while costing $205 in the Navigator.

I didn't say the Pilot was exciting, but of all the 3-row crossovers, it's the least boring and has probably the best engine.  It will also start and run every day for the next 100 years or until the salt kills the body.  I'm just suggesting it is the most sensible vehicle while being the least worst of the crossovers. 

Here's a Pilot for just a grand more than the Navigator with a leather interior (easier to wipe up spills), with approximately two average driving years fewer miles. Used 2016 Honda Pilot | Carvana. You'd start saving the extra money after the first ~10 months of ownership.

I know it's not what you want to hear as a car enthusiast, but something like this is the most responsible option for a new dad of two, while the Honda V6 is probably the nicest you'll get in a crossover other than a Highlander. 

12 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

What does the trade-in on the MKC look like? If I recall, it is completely paid off. The problem I foresee with something like a Navigator or Tahoe is that they can really trap you financially, especially at mileage that high. You're into a vehicle with those kind of miles, with poor fuel economy, for close to $20k out the door. If repairs don't get you, the fuel mileage will.  A Flex might only be rated for 23mpg highway, but it will actually hit it (and possibly beat it), the Navigator won't. Any out the door savings you might see getting that Navigator will get eaten up in the first 2 years at the gas pump even before you have to start putting money into repairs. 

Yeah, I own my MKC. Trade is is something like 11-12k. It's also rated the same as the Pilot's 18/26 mpg. 

See, I don't think there are many major repairs unless the cam phasers or timing chain goes bad. I could be very wrong, but don't F150's run forever as long as they aren't neglected? 

I'm just suggesting it is the most sensible vehicle while being the least worst of the crossovers. 

"Least worst" is terms I can understand with crossovers. That makes the most sense then. I just don't want something that I don't like at all and I feel like that's just most every crossover from "mainstream" brands. I've also been keeping an eye on Q7's with either the s/c V6 or turbo v6. 

Here's a Pilot for just a grand more than the Navigator with a leather interior (easier to wipe up spills), with approximately two average driving years fewer miles. Used 2016 Honda Pilot | Carvana. You'd start saving the extra money after the first ~10 months of ownership.

Somebody is already buying it, hahaha

image.png.b3ed2b42e4018d51ea81c3e3eaedac95.png

13 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I know it's not what you want to hear as a car enthusiast, but something like this is the most responsible option for a new dad of two, while the Honda V6 is probably the nicest you'll get in a crossover other than a Highlander. 

Yeah, I get it. I just know that if I'm not buying this, I am likely just not buying anything. I just don't want anything that...sucks... I'd rather wait and save and buy a Lightning. 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah, I own my MKC. Trade is is something like 11-12k. It's also rated the same as the Pilot's 18/26 mpg. 

See, I don't think there are many major repairs unless the cam phasers or timing chain goes bad. I could be very wrong, but don't F150's run forever as long as they aren't neglected? 

Well, my mom is on her second or third transmission, but it's a few years older and probably triple the miles.

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

"Least worst" is terms I can understand with crossovers. That makes the most sense then. I just don't want something that I don't like at all and I feel like that's just most every crossover from "mainstream" brands.

Although it's outside your current budget range, the prior-generation Explorer ST might be worth considering. A 17+ Durango RT (hemi-powered) too.

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I've also been keeping an eye on Q7's with either the s/c V6 or turbo v6. 

You are a mechanic's wet dream.  Only do that if you can get the CarMax full warranty. They are notorious for nickel and diming their owners.

Somebody is already buying it, hahaha

See? It was a good buy!

Yeah, I get it. I just know that if I'm not buying this, I am likely just not buying anything. I just don't want anything that...sucks... I'd rather wait and save and buy a Lightning. 

It's really the best option right now. Plus, loan rates will probably drop again at least one more time this year. You still have the RR to haul things around in.