August 2024 - Recent on the lot impressions and test drives

Have had some test drives and lot pics recently I just haven't had time to write or post about.  It seems like car shopping is even harder than ever.  There should be demo test drive locations where you can simply sample the car and not have to waste so much time.  Reserve a few demos of the most popular configs of a car model and most reasonable people can get the first feel of if they like something or not from a self directed test drive at their leisure and not just a canned 4 minute route without a high speed road.  Post covid also, a seeming drop in attitudes of the collective sales force.  I say that, having done the car sales thing and knowing what sucks about the gig and the things your managers and bosses want you to do.  Customer service in general across sales has been eroding for awhile now.

that said, here's some capsule observations that I can summarize quicker than going to the topics and getting into each one.

Chevy Trax - test driven twice now.

Nice upbeat package and personality.  Good interior space for passengers and cargo.  Still a bit of a low rider but the seats are very sculpted.  Chevy's new dash layouts are almost all universally excellent with the twin flat screens.  Reasonably quiet inside!  Good solid and stable handling and ride.  When optioned lighter, the Trax is very high on the features per dollar scale.  Hatchback is quite versatile.

Where does the Trax falter?  After initial optimism of the powertrain actually performing quite well for what it is, it sets in that yes... more go juice and an extra cylinder would do wonders for the car.  Maybe many won't venture outside metro areas with it, and into higher speed limit roads.  In that context as an urban get about the Trax shines.  But due to the lack of deep lungs in the powertrain and the 'average' to below average mpg (at best) this car achieves.. at least on the testing..... I'd advise those who may put a lot of road miles on to check out other vehicles and ones particularly with more under the hood.  The six speed auto does well in this car and the 3 cylinder at lower throttle push does ok.  It's just raspy when you push it and really needs the 1.5 in this car to realize its whole potential.  A stronger motor would get better mpg as well.  I'm not touching on the all wheel drive topic for the Trax.

new 24 Chevy traverse

I tested an LS all wheel drive; sticker wasn't much more than 40 I think.  Amazing value for this vehicle at this trim and price.  Sure, no power seats and missing other things but the standard equipment at the LS level is insane.  Heated seats and steering wheel.  Standard HD surround vision.  The cloth is nice! and you get a full console.  I got used to the new shifter pretty quickly and it save a ton of storage room in the console.  The dash layout is insanely good.  I didn't get too intimate with all the displays but Chevy is making the most of digital flat screen to change ways how some things have been displayed for gauges.

Interior seating and cargo space is humungous and seems even more cavernous than before.  Just further proof on how seriously stupid of a mistake it was for GMC to downsize the last Acadia.  Sports weekend travelers will enjoy all the space in these right size three row vehicles.

I dig the new styling; its bold and it seems to be an eye catcher whereas the previous style blended in.

On the road, it's a really good truck / sedan cross as far as feel.  Those who like trucks will think it feels nice and wide and stable like a truck, yet the steering is well weighted and feels like a big stable sedan.  View over the road is very good....I think visibility has improved here.  This does feel exactly like the 'family chariot' vehicle that many are seeking and let's be honest.  The three row crossover today is what the large family sedan and station wagon was decades ago.

new 25 Chevy Equinox

I did not drive the new Equinox but I sat in them and wow what an amazing upgrade.  Wonderful increase in size and space and the interior dash and layout is so much more attractive and useful.  Including the column shifter which frees up several places for your phone on the console.  (PICS later)

Buick Encore GX preferred

More later on this.  I wanted to like it but it may already be dated and badly needs a four cylinder power plant, just like the Trax.

Dodge Hornet GT

Awesome powertrain in a horribly mispackaged offering but Stellantis.  More to come.

Edited by regfootball
  • Haha 1

Have had some test drives and lot pics recently I just haven't had time to write or post about.  It seems like car shopping is even harder than ever.  There should be demo test drive locations where you can simply sample the car and not have to waste so much time.  Reserve a few demos of the most popular configs of a car model and most reasonable people can get the first feel of if they like something or not from a self directed test drive at their leisure and not just a canned 4 minute route without a high speed road.  Post covid also, a seeming drop in attitudes of the collective sales force.  I say that, having done the car sales thing and knowing what sucks about the gig and the things your managers and bosses want you to do.  Customer service in general across sales has been eroding for awhile now.

that said, here's some capsule observations that I can summarize quicker than going to the topics and getting into each one.

Chevy Trax - test driven twice now.

Nice upbeat package and personality.  Good interior space for passengers and cargo.  Still a bit of a low rider but the seats are very sculpted.  Chevy's new dash layouts are almost all universally excellent with the twin flat screens.  Reasonably quiet inside!  Good solid and stable handling and ride.  When optioned lighter, the Trax is very high on the features per dollar scale.  Hatchback is quite versatile.

Where does the Trax falter?  After initial optimism of the powertrain actually performing quite well for what it is, it sets in that yes... more go juice and an extra cylinder would do wonders for the car.  Maybe many won't venture outside metro areas with it, and into higher speed limit roads.  In that context as an urban get about the Trax shines.  But due to the lack of deep lungs in the powertrain and the 'average' to below average mpg (at best) this car achieves.. at least on the testing..... I'd advise those who may put a lot of road miles on to check out other vehicles and ones particularly with more under the hood.  The six speed auto does well in this car and the 3 cylinder at lower throttle push does ok.  It's just raspy when you push it and really needs the 1.5 in this car to realize its whole potential.  A stronger motor would get better mpg as well.  I'm not touching on the all wheel drive topic for the Trax.

Overall though, for a low priced car it does a really good job returning value for the money...if you don't option it up too much.  Chevy could AT LEAST make keyless start standard on this car.

new 24 Chevy traverse

I tested an LS all wheel drive; sticker wasn't much more than 40 I think.  Amazing value for this vehicle at this trim and price.  Sure, no power seats and missing other things but the standard equipment at the LS level is insane.  Heated seats and steering wheel.  Standard HD surround vision.  The cloth is nice! and you get a full console.  I got used to the new shifter pretty quickly and it save a ton of storage room in the console.  The dash layout is insanely good.  I didn't get too intimate with all the displays but Chevy is making the most of digital flat screen to change ways how some things have been displayed for gauges.

Interior seating and cargo space is humungous and seems even more cavernous than before.  Just further proof on how seriously stupid of a mistake it was for GMC to downsize the last Acadia.  Sports weekend travelers will enjoy all the space in these right size three row vehicles.

I dig the new styling; its bold and it seems to be an eye catcher whereas the previous style blended in.

On the road, it's a really good truck / sedan cross as far as feel.  Those who like trucks will think it feels nice and wide and stable like a truck, yet the steering is well weighted and feels like a big stable sedan.  View over the road is very good....I think visibility has improved here.  This does feel exactly like the 'family chariot' vehicle that many are seeking and let's be honest.  The three row crossover today is what the large family sedan and station wagon was decades ago.

new 25 Chevy Equinox

I did not drive the new Equinox but I sat in them and wow what an amazing upgrade.  Wonderful increase in size and space and the interior dash and layout is so much more attractive and useful.  Including the column shifter which frees up several places for your phone on the console.  (PICS later). Really wish the 2.0 and a hybrid option were available for this....as it is for 2025 this will sell huge.

Buick Encore GX preferred

More later on this.  I wanted to like it but it may already be dated and badly needs a four cylinder power plant, just like the Trax.

2024 Buick Envision

Envision has been criticized for being slow to roll out the new model year and front end and interior changes.  However, the new grille and redone interior are big positive upgrades and it feels like an all new vehicle from the showroom impression.  It's one of GM's best interiors, honestly and feels way sportier inside.  The new front end transforms the look into something that make the whole feel look longer and more low slung than before.  And, they have completely redone the trim packages and they all make sense now.  Even the preferred trim is well equipped and a much better value for the money than before.  The Sport Touring trim really does put off a sporty vibe.  Keep in mind you can't get the 2.0 that the Envision has, in the Equinox.  More later.

2025 Buick Enclave

Wow, what an amazing makeover!  In the flesh it looks fantastic.  And the interior looks great; especially in the black sport touring trim.  I have not sat in it yet though.

Dodge Hornet GT

Awesome powertrain in a horribly mispackaged offering but Stellantis.  More to come.

On 8/11/2024 at 7:34 PM, regfootball said:

It seems like car shopping is even harder than ever. 

Customer service in general across sales has been eroding for awhile now.

It's pretty damn bad.  Personally, I see a lot of overlap and closeness in the model tiers - and the powertrains that come with them - that it confuses me to some extent and turns me off.  I haven't looked at vehicles too intently since right before COVID, probably because there were more sedans around then to choose from.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

My lot observation of the 24 Envision turned into a test drive also, last weekend. Nice rig, but like many vehicles, when price creep crowds some other vehicles that are larger and more features etc you have to understand that incentives may be needed to move the metal at some point. 

also got to sit in the new Enclave and Acadia both. 

Edited by regfootball
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...