Air sickness (biologically gross things ahead)

ToniCipriani

Any tips to ease it out?

It gets pretty bad for me. The thing is, that's the only sickness I really get. I've been on a boat in a storm and I didn't get sick. when I get on an airplane, and when they bring the food, I throw right up, instantly. Very short trips like non-intercontinental is fine for me, just long international trips.

But now I'm worried because I'm leaving for Hong Kong in August...

Edited by ToniCipriani

I ued to get it a lot when I was younger, but not much anymore. The last time I almost threw up on a plane a couple of years ago, they gave me yogurt and OJ for breakfast. I would try bringing some of your own food, and make sure it's nothing that'll be too harsh on your stomach to begin with. Stick with breads and fruits and vegetables with low or no acid in them.

Get on a plane? Let's go!

Seriously, TC, I feel for you. Can't do the empty stomach thing if you so inclined. Need bland foods in there - like crackers and club soda, for instance. See your physician before you travel - people say Halcyon is good for the long trip, but I just stay awake for it all. Ask about meds ahead of time and bring 2 kinds in case 1 of them just doesn't do it for you.

I don't mind the bumps here and there but those 100 ft. air pocket drops, especially on a '47 when you hear a "sonic boom" type of sound and watch the wings flap, well, it can get a little disconcerting. Lufthansa from FRA to YYZ was that way last July about 1 to 2 hours after departure. It's always nice to glide over YYZ on approach.

Edited by trinacriabob

I've tried Gravol, and it works for a short while, then dies off. I've seen the doctor a few times already, same old advice, take the pills.

Problem is, whenever I smell the food. It's like the trigger for me to throw up. Worst case, I vomit everything out, and then I start vomiting some yellow stuff that tastes nasty (IIRC it's bile).

Dramamine (SP?) works well. I only took it the first time I flew and realized I do not get air sick. It's probably the crappy are travelers are forced to inhale mixed with the crappy food, cramped space and turbulence.

Dramamine (SP?) works well.  I only took it the first time I flew and realized I do not get air sick.  It's probably the crappy are travelers are forced to inhale mixed with the crappy food, cramped space and turbulence.

Yea that stuff is great. Make sure you get the drowsy kind so you get knocked out and then are well rested when you arrive.

You can't sleep if you're feeling like you need to puke.

I don't get air sick but one time this super-religious girl

sitting next to me from Clevland to Manchester was

praying the rosary like Mother Theresa the WHOLE time

between boarding & take off... by the time we got in

the air I was feeling like I should have taken the bus...

I was not airsick but she was making me nervous.

Just make sure you get on the plane that is taking off on the treadmill from hell.....then you don't have to worry about it.

Yeah well anyway....I feel for you, I get air sick, car sick, and sea sick (if it's high waters)....I take non-drowsy dramamine for in the car and the boat and i'm going on a long flight i just take the regular dramamine so that I can sleep, because I have trouble falling asleep in anything that is moving.

Mythbusters said that ginger works too.

I always keep candied ginger in the house for stomach upset. It tastes great and seems to do the trick. Not certain it will help with airsickness, but for landsickness, yeah. Edited by ocnblu

Ask about the Halcyon combined with one of the air sickness things.  Hong Kong is a long flight.  Are you doing the nonstop from T.O. on AC?

Nope.... UA, from YYZ Pearson International to ORD Chicago O'Hare, then ORD to HKG Hong Kong International.

Actually that is slightly better, because I get to stand a bit and recover between the flights.

Edited by ToniCipriani