Edmunds Drives the Compass

Variance

Edmunds Drives the Compass

Posted Image

It should be noted as a general rule, I try to find the best picture of a car to use when I post a news entry. This was quite a task with the Compass because it is in my opinion, the worst-looking SUV since the Aztek (yes, it has dethroned the X3). This is about the only image where the thing doesn't look completely pug-fugly. I could wax lyrical about the Compass' looks all day but of course, you clicked this thread to read Edmunds' take on it, not mine. So without further rambling, here you go:

Read "First Drive: 2007 Jeep Compass" @ Edmunds

Damn, what an ugly car...

You can get a manual transmission with AWD on the Compass... but not the much better-looking Patriot, which has a more trail-rated AWD system. This makes me pretty mad. Who the heck wants a CVT anyway?

They didn't say anything about the interior quality, which I would guess is as bad as the Caliber.

Just a little blurb, part of a photo caption:

Fit and finish on these preproduction models is solid.

The I4's developed with Mitsubishi and Hyundai (?) seem to be weak. Every review is complaining of lack of power no matter what the car is.

This is ugly. The Patriot has a much better, more traditional Jeep design.

Just a little blurb, part of a photo caption:

The I4's developed with Mitsubishi and Hyundai (?) seem to be weak.  Every review is complaining of lack of power no matter what the car is.

This is ugly.  The Patriot has a much better, more traditional Jeep design.

the hp ratings are good, which to me suggests maybe the same thing that occured with hyundais 4 cylinders from a few years ago.....underpowered/overrated

the compass is a vue competitor and a way for jeep to use the cache of their name to peddle cute utes as well.

i love the caliber, but hate the scrunched roof. it looks cool, but the windshield is a mailslot. i can see now with the raised roof on the compass how the interior would seem more spacious and less claustrophobic.

i'm not fond of the looks, but a stick and AWD has merit for me.

Still, I'd rather do the SRT Caliber. The Caliber is meant for the tuner/hot hatch crowd. The jeep makeover makes the same car more into an SUV. DCX can serve 2 markets then with essentially the same car. nice job.