A dose of reality...

Sixty8panther

So XP came along with me on a recent roadtrip for business.

There's a long story behind this but basically the pic speaks

for itself. I was doing about 110 when we passed a cleverly

hidden State Trooper.

(not really but I was staring at my speedo not the median)

Posted Image

For reasons which I care not discuss I got my car towed &

impounded for about 20 minutes... after the whole ordeal

was over (no serious trouble, mostly a waste of time) XP

looks over at a crunched 18-wheeler in the impound lot...

he casually says:

"Wow, that $hit jack-knifed huh?"

to which the flatbed driver responds:

Yeah... that truck killed a 12 year old girl yesterday. The

poor child was decapitated. The truck was cut off by some

moron who ran a stop sign and the driver of the truck who

was determined to be drunk, lost control of the 18-wheeler

and sliced off the roof off an SUV and the rest you can

probably fill in the blanks. :blink:

That conversation was followed by awkward silence, I felt

sick to my stomach thinking someday my daughter might

be riding in an SUV and drunk/stupid drivers seem to be

pretty abundant.

Suddenly I think to myself what if my speeding tonight had

caused an accident like that?... it's unlikely since it was at

12:30am and the road was pretty empty but still, I felt like

a prick for getting but a slap on the wrist for the speeding.

Depressing, I guess it happened a while ago, in Feb. of this year.

http://blogs.courant.com/nightbeat/2006/02...n_gir.html#more

So now putting all the pieces togeater between the 1st hand account

& the newspaper story: Honda Civic runs a stop sign, drunk truck

driver spares that stupid b!tches' life & accidentally kills a innocent

girl in the Trailblazer. :(

Southington Girl, 11, Dies In Crash

STURBRIDGE, Mass. — An 11-year-old Southington girl is dead and her mother in critical condition after a three-vehicle crash involving a tractor-trailer truck Monday, police said.

The crash happened on Route 49 at Putnam Road about 11 a.m., said Lt. Thomas Ford of the Sturbridge Police Department.

The truck driver was charged with operating under the influence, but Ford said that police do not know  what caused the crash.

Reminds me of my rather painful ticket. 161 km/h in a 100.

161 km/h = 101 mph

100 km/h = 62 mph.

Yeah, that one was bloody expensive. Had to hire a lawyer, since tickets for more than 50 km/h over go to court. They ended up knocking it down to 149 km/h so that I would only get 4 demerit points. About $400 for the lawyer and $350 for the ticket though.

Its horrible but Life goes on. Also Seeing what a Car can do is fun. Its really never Safe but You know when its Safer to do. In the Country i never do it at night tho. Sicne Deer and livestock other factors that you wont have enough time to react for.

Yes... that's always a risk if there's woods around,

this was kind of a 50/50 scenario, it's kind of in the

country in terms of population density but the

highway has wide medians, there's fences & guard

rails and no DEER CROSSING signs.

When he showed me the radar gun readout at 99MPH a part

of me subconsciously thought "damn.... so close to tripple

digits and I pu$$ied out." :P He said my reaction time was

quick and that I was deep in the 3 digits, I think I was

probably at like 110 before I stood on the brakes & slowed

her down. Usually I'm very good at spotting cops but this

time I completely missed him. XP called out "COP, COP!!!"

We even talked for a while how the car is registered to my

G/F but I picked it out with her and my first choice would

have been a B-body or whatever.

That Cop was like a Saint, by far the nicest guy I've met in

a uniform. He cut me some MAJOR slack. $90 for what I

did is a pretty small price to pay.

When he showed me the radar gun readout at 99MPH a part

of me subconsciously thought "damn.... so close to tripple

digits and I pu$$ied out." :P He said my reaction time was

quick and that I was deep in the 3 digits, I think I was

probably at like 110 before I stood on the brakes & slowed

her down. Usually I'm very good at spotting cops but this

time I completely missed him. XP called out "COP, COP!!!"

We even talked for a while how the car is registered to my

G/F but I picked it out with her and my first choice would

have been a B-body or whatever.

That Cop was like a Saint, by far the nicest guy I've met in

a uniform. He cut me some MAJOR slack. $90 for what I

did is a pretty small price to pay.

$90?????

No wonder so many people speed in the US.

20 km/h over the limit is about a $90 ticket here. Plus demerit points.

That's what I'm saying... the speeding alone should have

been like $350 or $400, nevermind the other B.S.

Um, here its $120 for 5 over.

Luckily I dont have a ticket to post for my worst offence (at least where I was caught). That one would have been 73 in a 25 zone in a car with no insurance. Just got a warning on that one, for a couple reasons. That was in 1990 or so.

Yeah... I got bitched at and Sixty8 always gets a free pass... :P

Sly is so much more experienced than you that you shouldn't have even needed to ask that question. He knows he isn't invincible and isn't going to do something stupid like 115 on a curvy road in a car that he hasn't had very long and doesn't know what the limit is. Sorry BV but you dont get a free pass until you get to the point where you know you're mortal and drive accordingly.

If I had to choose between BV and Sly who to ride shotgun with across Montana, it would be Sly, no thought needed. Conversation may be a little awkward, but I'd feel better about my chances of showing up at the Montana-Idaho border in one piece.

If I had to choose between BV and Sly who to ride shotgun with across Montana, it would be Sly, no thought needed.  Conversation may be a little awkward, but I'd feel better about my chances of showing up at the Montana-Idaho border in one piece.

That...was...priceless.

And agreed - strange conversation > dying.

Sly is so much more experienced than you that you shouldn't have even needed to ask that question.  He knows he isn't invincible and isn't going to do something stupid like 115 on a curvy road in a car that he hasn't had very long and doesn't know what the limit is.  Sorry BV but you dont get a free pass until you get to the point where you know you're mortal and drive accordingly. 

If I had to choose between BV and Sly who to ride shotgun with across Montana, it would be Sly, no thought needed.  Conversation may be a little awkward, but I'd feel better about my chances of showing up at the Montana-Idaho border in one piece.

First off, I didn't ask anything. Second, I don't think I'm invincible. Third, it wasn't a curvy road, let alone a hilly one. Interstates in PA aren't like back roads in PA. Fourth, I've put over 1300 miles on my car already... tell me, when do I finally get to know it? Damn, that's already half as much as I put on my GA when I drove it. Fifth, I know what the limit is. You can't figure it out without finding out. What? A year of speed limit abiding, city driving is going to let me figure out the limits of it? Ha... such a contradiction. Sixth, I know I'm mortal and I drive accordingly. So what? I went 115 just one time and suddenly I do it all the time? And Seventh, the only time I drive anywhere near that is when there are not any passengers in the vehicle. My motto always has and will be... if I'm going to put anyone in danger, it's going to be myself. I'm not that f@#king retarded... and I'm getting sick of being underestimated and put down by you guys...

Agreed with Satty plus Cops dont like young punk kids.

I'm not a punk kid anymore. Read above.

Whippersnappers?? :P  And I also totally agree w/ Satty.

Read above.

That...was...priceless.

And agreed - strange conversation > dying.

Read above. The only possible way you die with me behind the wheel is if someone jackknifed my car... or I was intentionally trying to kill you. Really... come the f@#k on.

Aww, feel the love.

And Viper, slow that thing down! :)

Love? Heh... go to hell. For the last time, I'm sick of you guys putting me down like this. I know it's dangerous. I know what could happen. I don't do this on roads that I haven't driven on a thousand times. I don't do this the first time I drive a car. I don't do this with other people in the car. I don't do this every time I drive. I'm sorry, but I'm going to put up with being constantly put down like this just because I'm young and happen to love to have fun every once in a while...

Awsome! :lol:

Eh, there's always music, movies, video games & other

things to talk about, & even politics does not make me

as hot headed as cars... besides, you have a baby

coming so I would take that into consideration, all XP has

to live for is his white diamond Riviera, Serial Killer

Cutlass & a 1971 Coupe deVille plus he's addicted to

speed too so it was pedal to the metal.

For what it's worth the Q45 has a legit inspection sticker

and the tires, suspension & other critical components

were all in good shape.

Mr. Rogers? :angry: OMG, I'm going to have to heat it up a bit to live that one down. :( :AH-HA_wink:

Viper, the "love" I was referring to was from Satty to Sly, two guys who don't normally see eye-to-eye.

Viper, don't you think Sly is at least remorseful about what he did? When you tell us some of the things you do, would you rather we just laugh it off, or should we continue to show we care about you? You're like everyone's little brother here, of course you're going to get advice and you're going to get yelled at. Don't try to tell us you don't do the same thing with your own, real-life little bro.

Ya know... forget it. If you can't realize that I'm hurt from hearing all these things and can't see things from my perspective... just f@#k off then. You and the other guys are all those who I used to respect and have fun with... but I can't take being put down like this anymore. I'm sorry, Blu... I don't come here for this.

We do care about you Cory. Im sorry for Making you think I was picking on you and yelling at you. But at least on my Part I was trying to say that you even though you think you are a "Expirenced" Driver your not. You have had what 3-4 years of driving. Yes You know alot but I have been driving for 20+ years and know more about it. If you had a Tire Blow out would you know what to do? Or If a Tierod broke or Driveshaft snaped would you honestly know what to do? I was trying to say that Even tho your circumstances were safe to to test you vehicle what if something happened that you werent prepared for? Or if the guy next to you has a tire blow out. Yes these things are Rare and Unlikely but they happen every day.

Even though You think we dont Care WE do care about you or at least I do.

You know... it's not about that.. it's about being continually put down, disrespected, and underestimated. The driving isn't what I'm hurt about. It's that you guys could do that to me in the way you did... What was said, has me pissed off, at most. Eh... you guys just don't understand so I don't know why I'm bothering...

Besides, where have I ever said I thought I was an experienced driver? I haven't and I don't. Again, I'm not f@#king retarded. And again, you have to experience things to become an experienced driver. I'd like to see someone who has never driven a car above the speed limit for 20 years suddenly take their car to the limit. What makes that any better?

So... just forget it, alright? Nothing you guys can further say will make me feel any better...

In nearby Floral Park, a car full of kids younger than me crashed into a tree. Four died, one is/was in critical condition.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/new...egion-apnewyork

Yesterday, in what I consider a "moonlighting" job, I helped prepare a double funeral service for Michael and Nyana at a nearby Methodist church.

Driving is serious business, folks. Speeding and otherwise reckless behavior could bury you or someone else.

Edit: Stories as written by other news outlets:

http://www.wnbc.com/traffic/9367092/detail.html

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_165092429.html

Edited by aaaantoine

I honestly don't believe I've ever put you down, disrespected, or underestimated you, Viper. In fact, I feel I've done the opposite plenty of times here. You are an enthusiastic, intelligent young man, and even when you f@#k up (as we all do from time to time), I've tried not to judge you too hard.

Wow... that brings a whole new meaning to the

title of this thread. I was just commenting on a

local tragedy, now Aaaantoine has a story that

really hits home.

Four kids killed like that with theior whole lives

ahead of them, that's messed up. Not to be a

prick but that video in the second link tells me

speed was a factor if nothing else. Those

skidmarks should have slowed the car to a

stop even if it was going like 55/60.

Not that it matters now but seatbelts were NOT

used IMHO. That Avalon was not exactly

broken in two and shattered. Most of the

damage seemed to be in the driver's side door

and A-pillar.

Either way buddy you have my condolances. -_-

~ Silvester AKA Chapman

Posted Image

The greatest automobile ever conceived by man: two shifters, FWD & small

enough to be driven into the back of a matching red Plymouth TrailDuster.

If, however, you are a religious person, you can direct your prayers to the families of these victims.

More "spiritual" than "religious" since religion tends to

be a dirty word in 2006, but in any case please do. I

can not even imagine a loss that severe... four kids

gone in the blink of an eye.

Last summer, there was this one week where there was at least one new accident every day. I think like 18 people ended up dead over the course of that week. My neigbor knew about 6 of them, so she was going to a funeral every day for a while. The biggest factors in the accidents were speed (which lead to loss of control) and not wearing seatbelts. They still have the memorials up on the side of the roads where the accidents happened, but now some "concerned citizen's group" is petitioning the Maryland General Assembly to have them removed.

The whole town of Laurel had a sad, but very nice vigil for them on Main Street a little while after the accidents. Needless to say, it was a sad summer for a lot of people.

They still have the memorials up on the side of the roads where the accidents happened, but now some "concerned citizen's group" is petitioning the Maryland General Assembly to have them removed.

That's wicked $hitty & disrespectful. Those memorials should be left there

as a reminder to others of how easy it is to end up dead on the side of

the road. There's a raod near Flagstaf, AZ where the number of crosses is

simply perplexing. It's really spooky (not complaining) when you're

driving along in the desert and there's about 4-10 crosses per mile on the

side of the road, and some of them, (this is messed up) arranged as if it

was a family that persished... two big crosses and two small ones in a row.

Unforunately, here in the Detroit area, there are cars on their roof on I696 what seems like every other day. Maybe thats an exaggeration, but in a metropolis this size, there are several accidents daily, and usually one severe. Last night an 80s Caprice with 24s or so got hit by a fire truck of all things. They had to vut the guy out, but he was at the hospital. I would post a link but strangely I couldnt find one, and at this time of the morning, I'm not looking too hard.

Thus the need for the traffic report here. For your amusment listen to XM 216 once in a while.