G5 IN SHOWROOMS SOON!!!!!!!

GEESIXER

It's already at some dealers as far as I know. I've seen a couple on Cardomain already.

...That is unless someone went to Canada, bought a Pursuit, took off the name badge, and somehow got a hold of an an advanced release replacemet G5 badge to retrofit onto the car... :scratchchin:

Edited by Turbojett

heh, in the motor trend "cars of 2007" they list the G5 as being two door only, but the picture is of a four door. brilliant.

172637[/snapback]

i saw that too. that was the first thing i noticed. it just goes to show you how much of an unprofessional hack job Motor Trend has become.

I too like the G5 more than the Cobalt.  I just wish that Pontiac offered the G5 in coupe AND sedan format for those of us needing to get into the back seat on a daily basis.

173319[/snapback]

Daily basis? Sounds like you picked the right girl.

Look what I saw today:

Posted Image

I hate how cheap that grille treatment looks, but the interior appears nice through tinted windows.

173672[/snapback]

Yeah....a truly awful badge job.

Look how the (split-port) grille itself is just part of a plastic piece that is pasted into the front of the car.

Can you get ANY cheesier?

Yeah....a truly awful badge job.

Look how the (split-port) grille itself is just part of a plastic piece that is pasted into the front of the car.

Can you get ANY cheesier?

173887[/snapback]

Exactly. I've been saying this ever since the Pursuit dubuted. This is what it looks like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks like we finally agree on something, eh?

cheer up !!!! take a step back for a second and just look at the car. dont look at it as if it is a chevy rebadged. look at it as if chevy never made it. it is still a sporty, goodlooking little ride for under 15k. that is exciting for the people just getting started on their own and need a dependable ride. pontiac tweaked it a little. they got rid of the tail lights anyway. just stop going on about the grave injustice that GM has done to you and just look at the damn car. it not bad.

Now that I have said that, I love it. Its finally here and ready to be stocked in and as it sits there i know it is a goodlooking car that will be hard to keep on the lot. :thumbsup:

cheer up !!!!  take a step back for a second and just look at the car. dont look at it as if it is a chevy rebadged.  look at it as if chevy never made it.  it is still a sporty, goodlooking little ride for under 15k.  that is exciting for the people just getting started on their own and need a dependable ride.  pontiac tweaked it a little.  they got rid of the tail lights anyway.  just stop going on about the grave injustice that GM has done to you and just look at the damn car.  it not bad.

Now that I have said that,  I love it.  Its finally here and ready to be stocked in and as it sits there i know it is a goodlooking car that will be hard to keep on the lot. :thumbsup:

174259[/snapback]

I agree that it looks good.

However it is just another reminder to everyone that Chevy and Pontiac are there to give them the illusion of choice.

If people thought they were truly separate companies and they had choice (like some people thought with Sunfire/Cavalier), that illusion has been shattered. Everybody, even non-car enthusiasts, can see that the Cobalt and G5 are the same.

Exactly. I've been saying this ever since the Pursuit dubuted. This is what it looks like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks like we finally agree on something, eh?

174080[/snapback]

And you know what.....taken in isolation, it's not a bad looking little car.

It's just the fact that GM is still resorting to such blatant badge-engineering such as the Cobalt/G5 and Equinox/Torrent.

It's just the fact that GM is still resorting to such blatant badge-engineering such as the Cobalt/G5 and Equinox/Torrent.

174489[/snapback]

I would argue that these both represent decent and acceptable levels of badge engineering. Cases like the CSVs are ones that shouldn't be repeated.

I would argue that these both represent decent and acceptable levels of badge engineering. Cases like the CSVs are ones that shouldn't be repeated.

174494[/snapback]

How can you even make that statement?

The CSVs are just about as identical as Cobalt/G5 and Equinox/Torrent. How are Cobalt/G5 considered "acceptable" levels of badge engineering? What's acceptable about them?

NOW....old they may be....but the W-cars/GM-10/midsize sedans from GM ARE what I consider doing badge engineering the "right" way.

Look at Impala.....Grand Prix.....LaCrosse. They are damn-near identical under the skin....but don't share any exterior panels or interior styling among themselves.

How can you even make that statement?

The CSVs are just about as identical as Cobalt/G5 and Equinox/Torrent.  How are Cobalt/G5 considered "acceptable" levels of badge engineering?  What's acceptable about them?

174496[/snapback]

Acceptable for their place in the market. Pontiac does need a kick in volume and the G5 and Torrent do just that. My main problems with both are not their sheetmetal or interiors, but their powertrains. Pontiac should get exclusive boost in power for the Torrent (3.9l) and G5 (turbo Ecotec) to seperate them from their Chevrolet sisters.

Acceptable for their place in the market. Pontiac does need a kick in volume and the G5 and Torrent do just that. My main problems with both are not their sheetmetal or interiors, but their powertrains. Pontiac should get exclusive boost in power for the Torrent (3.9l) and G5 (turbo Ecotec) to seperate them from their Chevrolet sisters.

174518[/snapback]

But.....

One could argue that CHEVY itself needs those powertrains JUST to be competitive themselves in the marketplace.

AND even a 3.9L pushrod V6 wouldn't make Equinox and/or Torrent competitive with a 265hp Ford Edge or a 270(?)hp RAV-4.....

But.....

One could argue that CHEVY itself needs those powertrains JUST to be competitive themselves in the marketplace.

AND even a 3.9L pushrod V6 wouldn't make Equinox and/or Torrent competitive with a 265hp Ford Edge or a 270(?)hp RAV-4.....

174885[/snapback]

That's a different subject. My point is powertrain differentiation can do wonders for cars that look similar.

:rolleyes:  :ohyeah:  :P

Hey, did you ever get my PM about how to uploade pictures?

174899[/snapback]

YES....thank you.

I've just been so busy it's all I can do to just be able to post a few things on here...much less get serious about getting some pics up....

But I will....I promise...

I know you are just dying to see a picture of my mug so that you can print out a copy and paste your bedroom walls with it....

:bowdown:

LOL

This is much ado about nothing. Both the Torrent and the G5 are placeholder offerings. Yes, they should have planned for something better 5years ago, but these are better vehicles than those they replace and are nothing more than transitional product. If this indicated where Pontiac and GM were heading in the future,I'd be worried - badly. But, look at the G5 for what it really is: a cheap pacifier for the dealers, an entry level car for BPG on the cheap, and a placeholder for future models.

In this light, the car's not so bad. It fills a gap and keeps a spot in the showroom warm for better things to come.

Look what I saw today:

Posted Image

I hate how cheap that grille treatment looks, but the interior appears nice through tinted windows.

173672[/snapback]

I think it's pretty...up untill my eyes move downward, and...OMG...WTF...ARE THOSE GRAND AM WHEELS?!?!?! :puke:

Who approved that wheel design? Honestly, GM.

Those look like something that would've appeared on the Aztek. The only attitude that could've allowed those is, "Who cares?"

It's not even fancy.  It's just a Chevy.

158277[/snapback]

Actually I would even argue the Cobalt is a better looking car.

GM should have done better. They could have introduced a nice pocket rocket with better design cues. The G5 needless to say is the least interesting of the new introductions.

The G6 and Solstice were both steps in the right direction, the G5 could have been a step in the right direction, but instead it is just a Cobalt with the pontiac grill.

With that being said, somebody said Pontiac's top market is Chicago. I will say that is the truth. Pontiac has done a great job with the G6 and it is selling pretty well in Chicago (though the generous incentives some dealers offer is part of this). But this is partially because it offers a cheaper alternative to the Altima, which is also an incredibly popular car in Chicago. That is part of the reason having the front wheel drive mid-size sedan with a v6 and i-4 with decent horsepower helps.

But I will say the G5 is not going to do well. I really do not see it selling well. People will go into the dealer and leave with a g6 or vibe.

Edited by lostletters

I like the G5 design more than the Cobalt coupe.  I think the lines flow better with the G5 grille and the rear is much cleaner-looking.

176916[/snapback]

...right up to the moment you see how the grille is snapped in. How they did it just looks cheap and cheesy. It would've been better if the grille was integrated into the bumper as one piece like the GP or G6.

I just hope that this is really just a stopgap.

Not in Canada though. Pursuits sell a lot faster than Cobalts, and I do see them more often.

176893[/snapback]

I've never seen numbers supporting the Pursuit sold as well as the Cobalt in Canada.. Everything I've ever read suggested it sold well but not nearly as well as the Chevy.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/060605-2.htm

Do you have a link to something suggesting the Pursuit sells better?