PARENTS are stupid sometimes

trinacriabob

How did your parent(s)' fare at parenting?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How did your parent(s)' fare at parenting?

• Great (A)
    • Good (B)
    • Average (C)
    • Dubious (D)
    • Horrendous (F)
    • Other - need to explain

Selective perception: I thought another post said "Parents are stupid sometimes" and then it turned out to be "Pants are stupid sometimes." So, I'll run a poll.

So how do you rate the job your parents did? (I actually would have made a decent psychologist since I analyze everything, think about cause and effect and offer advice to my friends (when asked...except for Paulie, in which case I volunteer it).

Mine. Honestly: a C- . Extreme inconsistency. We'd take a road trip to Yosemite or Hearst Castle and one day would be great and another day something would set them off. The biggest problem is that they imported what they both came from: a patriarchal set up where the woman stands in the shadow of a man, where kids are inferior to parents (even when they are smarter and become adults) and where control/emotions rule out over logic and the weighing of options when making a decision or taking a course of action. My dad (now deceased) was a piece of work, a 5'4" immigrant with a case of the Napoleonic syndrome, and my mother couldn't make a decision if her life depended on it. Initially, I listened to my Dad and never to my Mom. By the time I finished college, I listened to neither as I had developed better reasoning abilities.

Rate your parents. Flesh out as needed.

Edited by trinacriabob

I'd give them a C, at best. I mean... but not really average. It's just that it's a love/hate relationship and I never agreed with how they parented me. I mean... I should as punishment and chores are almost nonexistant, but I feel that they turned me into the lazy, stubborn guy I am... :D

I'd give them an A-

My parents are great. There was a long time where my dad and I didn't see eye to eye on just about everything, and he'd try to mold me into his shadow. I almost told him that I hated him, but he stopped that and everything's all good now.

Other.

They raised me well enough so that I am a good person, but their (especially my mother's) complete irrationality is so viciously enraging that it's surprising I'm not some kind of serial killer.

Example: I asked my mom to buy me some new vegetable oil for cooking, since they had saved some and it smelled like chicken, and I didn't want chicken flavoured pancakes. I got my new oil. So, one night I'm actually frying chicken in a generous amount of oil, and my mom gets home. "Why are you using so mcuh oil? I just bouight it!" Me: "It's not the new oil." Mother: "Yes it is." -and this went around a few rounds until I finally- Steven said, "It's not the new oil, it's the old oil from down in the cupboard." Mother retorted, "Well, whey aren't you using the new oil? It's what I bought it for."

Can you believe this bull?

Sometimes I want to put her deep into a swamp.

:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono: