April 2023 Auto Spotting Thread

G. David Felt

Was unable to take a picture but saw at the local home here that offers detailing an immaculate 1969 Cadillac Eldorado.

Was painted brown, had all the original hub caps. Just Sexy as Hell.

Very much looked like this one I found for sale online.

7758256-1969-cadillac-eldorado-std.jpg

• Like 2

One house I toured last weekend had been built in the 50s and last remodeled in the 70s...had some great details (slate entryways, lots of original stone and wood) and had belonged to an older couple that were either deceased or in care homes...sadly, their furniture and kicknacks were still in the house, family photos on the walls, etc..and in the garage---a clean Cadillac Brougham from around 1990-92 (dark brown w/ dark brown leather interior) and a clean late 90s Eldorado in dark red w/ red interior.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

One house I toured last weekend had been built in the 50s and last remodeled in the 70s...had some great details (slate entryways, lots of original stone and wood) and had belonged to an older couple that were either deceased or in care homes...sadly, their furniture and kicknacks were still in the house, family photos on the walls, etc..and in the garage---a clean Cadillac Brougham from around 1990-92 (dark brown w/ dark brown leather interior) and a clean late 90s Eldorado in dark red w/ red interior.  

Wonder if the car and furnishing were available to buy? That would have been a great car to get.

1 hour ago, David said:

Wonder if the car and furnishing were available to buy? That would have been a great car to get.

Yeah, I wonder...it may have been the couple's adult children selling the property..it was another one that has the square footage listed wrong--basement might be 250 sq ft, house was only a little over 2000 sq ft (not the 3600 listed), beautiful wooded lot..

Linked below:

https://www.trulia.com/p/oh/chesterland/13063-woodcrest-ln-chesterland-oh-44026--2045350499

This house below we liked a lot, I put an offer on it about 3 weeks ago, but they took another offer they already had:

https://www.trulia.com/p/oh/chesterland/8635-carmichael-dr-chesterland-oh-44026--2045352075

I loved all the garage space, pole barn and pond with this one below, but the house was smaller than represented and needed a LOT of work...  (I've noticed a lot of sloppy listings where they have the basement listed as the same square footage as the upper floors (inaccurately).   And it was a split level, not any bigger than my current split...

https://www.trulia.com/p/oh/streetsboro/1913-frost-rd-streetsboro-oh-44241--2046037349

Edited by Robert Hall

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, I wonder...it may have been the couple's adult children selling the property..it was another one that has the square footage listed wrong--basement might be 250 sq ft, house was only a little over 2000 sq ft (not the 3600 listed), beautiful wooded lot..

Linked below:

https://www.trulia.com/p/oh/chesterland/13063-woodcrest-ln-chesterland-oh-44026--2045350499

This house below we liked a lot, I put an offer on it about 3 weeks ago, but they took another offer they already had:

https://www.trulia.com/p/oh/chesterland/8635-carmichael-dr-chesterland-oh-44026--2045352075

I loved all the garage space, pole barn and pond with this one below, but the house was smaller than represented and needed a LOT of work...  (I've noticed a lot of sloppy listings where they have the basement listed as the same square footage as the upper floors (inaccurately).   And it was a split level, not any bigger than my current split...

https://www.trulia.com/p/oh/streetsboro/1913-frost-rd-streetsboro-oh-44241--2046037349

All of them have potential, all need a modern update. Like you, I like the property with the lake, but needs much work and I see all the rooms have electric baseboards which I am not a fan of. Either natural gas furnace or forced electric hot air furnace for the whole house, the baseboard heaters just scream dated.

I like what you bought very much, though I did like the middle house with the huge brick fireplace and tv viewing area, that was nice. But you can always build things like that into any home as you remodel, update, etc.

Best of luck Robert with the packing and move. Excited to hear more once your moved in.

It's going to be an adventure.  Glad I didn't have to do a contingent sale.  I can take my time moving and do some improvements to my current house before I put it up for sale...it should go for $275k or so (over $100k more than I paid for it 6 years ago).  

• Oh Yeah! 1

9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

It's going to be an adventure.  Glad I didn't have to do a contingent sale.  I can take my time moving and do some improvements to my current house before I put it up for sale...it should go for $275k or so (over $100k more than I paid for it 6 years ago).  

That is great, I know my house I am in I bought in 1999 and was $145K then, now the county has it valued at $770K Crazy price.

Yes, the best thing is being able to paint, make changes, etc. to the new place and then move in, then prep with a solid cleaning and any updates you feel the old house needs to maximize selling price. Making it move in ready always gets top dollar.

Good luck my friend.

• Thanks 1
  • Educational 1

1 hour ago, David said:

That is great, I know my house I am in I bought in 1999 and was $145K then, now the county has it valued at $770K Crazy price.

That's a house, though.  Apartment style condos in either Bothell or Woodinville are selling for at least $300 K, and they may not have 1,000 square feet and may not even have a 1-car garage.  People who locked in a residence that they like in what have become expensive areas at yesterday's dollars have a lot to rejoice about.

Edited by trinacriabob

As for car spotting, I saw one of these today - a 45 year old 1978 Olds Delta 88 Royale coupe.  That's a lot of sheet metal for a coupe.

It didn't look good and it didn't look bad.  The Rocket V8 exhaust note was still sort of there as it turned left in front of me.

It was like this model ...

17066060-1978-oldsmobile-delta-88-royale

It did have a landau top, but it did not have the rally wheels like the above (too bad)

17066097-1978-oldsmobile-delta-88-royale

I always get a kick out of the small windows they used to feature in large coupes.  Somehow, they made the proportions work ... most of the time.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2023 at 2:58 PM, trinacriabob said:

That's a house, though.  Apartment style condos in either Bothell or Woodinville are selling for at least $300 K, and they may not have 1,000 square feet and may not even have a 1-car garage.  People locked in a residence that they like in what have become expensive areas at yesterday's dollars have a lot to rejoice about.

Condo's in Bothell and Woodinville are crazy priced now too. It really is a crazy market here in Washington. My daughter bought in South Everett a 2 bedroom 1,000 sq foot condo. I totally repainted and did everything inside, still have a few things to finish but this was at the end of 2021 and her condo does come with a 1 car garage. Bought it for $300,000 and now the county has her condo assessed for $376,000 in only two years. Crazy prices and looking online your right small condos are now around 400-450K in the Bothell / Woodinville area. Totally nuts.

• Educational 1

Spotted this yesterday ... someone is either very fond of this old Pontiac or someone has a huge project on their hands

KIMG2920.thumb.JPG.9cf28291cb4082322dd1f4e6c0098727.JPG

What a sight on a trailer to be pulled by a newer Chevy truck - GM loyalist

KIMG2918.thumb.JPG.0510e9a075c1f76a25fb32ef5e1580d4.JPG

Look at that old school Pontiac front end - this thing has @balthazar written all over it

KIMG2922.thumb.JPG.0585e290f850f3d5b5b5a8b5a6b1cb10.JPG

Crank windows and beat up interior

KIMG2923.thumb.JPG.a6f93af18eb193706d17e8f235b9ed87.JPG

Catalina-Ventura - ha, both within 60 miles of L.A., as the crow flies

KIMG2924.thumb.JPG.7198856cf5a1331fce03ff454bcb6145.JPG

Rear view 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 6:10 PM, David said:

Condo's in Bothell and Woodinville are crazy priced now too. It really is a crazy market here in Washington. My daughter bought in South Everet a 2 bedroom 1,000 sq foot condo. I totally repainted and did everything inside, still have a few things to finish but this was at the end of 2021 and her condo does come with a 1 car garage. Bought it for $300,000 and now the country has her condo assessed for $376,000 in only two years. Crazy prices and looking online your right small condos are now around 400-450K in the bothell / woodinville area. Totally nuts.

I wonder if it will correct.  I know that Snohomish County sends out a slightly smaller tax bill than does King County.  I don't know much about South Everett.  I believe I would drive next to it and through it on the freeway.  The area I was a little partial to, since I saw it get built out to some extent with some of the newer subdivisions, was Mill Creek.  I understand it is now a traffic nightmare to get in and out of that suburb.

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

I wonder if it will correct.  I know that Snohomish County sends out a slightly smaller tax bill than does King County.  I don't know much about South Everett.  I believe I would drive next to it and through it on the freeway.  The area I was a little partial to, since I saw it get built out to some extent with some of the newer subdivisions, was Mill Creek.  I understand it is now a traffic nightmare to get in and out of that suburb.

Snohomish county is on a tax hike focus the last couple of years and I think it is really focused on dense living areas as all the cities here are focused on building retail/office space with apartments all around the lite rail stop points.

King County is crazy, my neighbor who he is like me a computer engineer and his wife is a dentist was wanting to move further out but due to where his wife works in downtown Seattle, they bought a house in Issaquah, an old 4 level house built on the side of the hill in 1978 and in need of a massive remodel. He figured would not be hard to do, after 2 years of owning it, but not living in it as he worked through the process to remodel, his property tax bill went from 21K in 2020 to 37K in 2023 and the process to remodel by the city was so crazy and extensive as he supposedly lived in a special drainage area due to being on the side of a hill that they went and made the yard look nice, painted the inside and unloaded it at a loss to an Indian single guy that will probably bring his parents over.

King County now has some of the highest property taxes in the nation right up there with New Jersey. It is crazy and folks are leaving King County cause of it.

• Educational 1

6 minutes ago, David said:

Snohomish county is on a tax hike focus the last couple of years and I think it is really focused on dense living areas as all the cities here are focused on building retail/office space with apartments all around the lite rail stop points.

King County now has some of the highest property taxes in the nation right up there with New Jersey. It is crazy and folks are leaving King County cause of it.

I believe King County levied property taxes at 1.0 to 1.5% of assessed value.  That's reasonable, if they kept it at that.  What may not be reasonable is the assessments and the rate at which they can climb.  Isn't there any stopgap in place to index how fast assessments can rise to protect long-time homeowners?  Like California passed years ago?  WA has high sales taxes and business tax on gross receipts to make up for no income taxes.  It's too bad if King County raised the tax levy rate on property.  NJ has that problem because communities levy at 2 to 3% of assessed value.

I didn't think light rail would go too far into Snohomish County.  I will get out that way and visit when it crosses the lake.  That ought to be something to see.  They put it into place after I leave.  That helps.

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I believe King County levied property taxes at 1.0 to 1.5% of assessed value.  That's reasonable, if they kept it at that.  What may not be reasonable is the assessments and the rate at which they can climb.  Isn't there any stopgap in place to index how fast assessments can rise to protect long-time homeowners?  Like California passed years ago?  WA has high sales taxes and business tax on gross receipts to make up for no income taxes.  It's too bad if King County raised the tax levy rate on property.  NJ has that problem because communities levy at 2 to 3% of assessed value.

I didn't think light rail would go too far into Snohomish County.  I will get out that way and visit when it crosses the lake.  That ought to be something to see.  They put it into place after I leave.  That helps.

Latest Light rail Map, Service to Lynnwood begins Feb 2024 as they are still building north and south as well as across the lake. Currently light rail is running from Northgate to Angle Lake south of the airport. Service begins later this year from Seattle, across the lake to Redmond.

2022 Progress Report | Sound Transit

image.png

In regards to the King County property tax, it has run amuck as they have the state tax, county tax, city tax as the base of it and then they add on surface water management charge, City of Seattle drainage charge, fire protection fee, King Conservation District (KCD) fee, and the noxious weed fee. I know they have additional Other Charges too. It is crazy the taxation in that county. I am watching Snohomish closely as they are considering additional taxes, but the County rules require voters approval, so there is far more ability to keep things in check rather than political run away spending and taxing.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, David said:

Latest Light rail Map, Service to Lynnwood begins Feb 2024 as they are still building north and south as well as across the lake. Currently light rail is running from Northgate to Angle Lake south of the airport. Service begins later this year from Seattle, across the lake to Redmond.

2022 Progress Report | Sound Transit

image.png

Thanks.  That's a great map.  I like the interactive part that shows expected progress over future years.

Yes, I have ridden the new train from the airport to downtown.  I did notice that it goes one stop south of the airport.  I think that's because Alaska Airlines has their HQ at the Angle Lake station.  I was stunned - downtown to Capitol Hill to Univ. of Wash. are all about 3 or 4 minutes apart.

It looks like I'm going to be test riding it to the other side of the lake sooner than I thought!  It would have been nice to have as a commuting and airport option when I was there.

Is the Univ. of Wash. to Northgate extension underground?

Always been a fan of light rail, used it often when I lived in Denver..they have a pretty extensive service around the metro area that keeps growing.   Alas, Phoenix and Cleveland's light rail is more limited and never been useful for me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Robert Hall This thread has taken on a life of its own.

Yes to Denver RTD.  It's a vast area and it covers a lot of it.  The coolest thing about it is the "Pythagorean theorem" hypotenuse effect of having a line right down to the Tech Center from the airport so you don't have to go downtown, and then down south.

Phoenix's one line does a lot.  I parked the car in Mesa and used it.  They need more of it.  Some poorer people ride it to stay air conditioned when it's boiling outside.  As long as they don't bother the paying passengers.

I prefer heavy rail to light rail ... like BART and MARTA.  Cities like L.A. and Houston should not have light rail so they can do it on the cheap.

6 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

@Robert Hall This thread has taken on a life of its own.

Yes to Denver RTD.  It's a vast area and it covers a lot of it.  The coolest thing about it is the "Pythagorean theorem" hypotenuse effect of having a line right down to the Tech Center from the airport so you don't have to go downtown, and then down south.

When I lived and worked in the DTC in the 00s, I used to get on at the Bellview station and go to out to County Line to meet friends that lived out there, or to University area and downtown..very convenient.  They were planning the airport line then...  

• Agree 1

Thanks.  That's a great map.  I like the interactive part that shows expected progress over future years.

Yes, I have ridden the new train from the airport to downtown.  I did notice that it goes one stop south of the airport.  I think that's because Alaska Airlines has their HQ at the Angle Lake station.  I was stunned - downtown to Capitol Hill to Univ. of Wash. are all about 3 or 4 minutes apart.

It looks like I'm going to be test riding it to the other side of the lake sooner than I thought!  It would have been nice to have as a commuting and airport option when I was there.

Is the Univ. of Wash. to Northgate extension underground?

Yes the Downtown Seattle to UW to Northgate is all underground. Very clean, quiet and nice to get around.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, David said:

Weird, saw two of these CTS Stationwagons this month. First one was a black V edition, this is the awd version or CTS4 station wagon.

20230415_062807.jpg

The more I think on it, with Electric, I would hope that the station wagon could be revived with much room inside.

Was driving and unable to snap a picture, but I saw my first Lucid in the wild and have to say that is a nice looking electric car.

I also saw again on my way home from PT, an older woman driving a cherry silver base model Magnum station wagon.

2 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Seems like we've almost forgotten about this stretch of Charger model years once the latest front clip arrived.

KIMG2949.thumb.JPG.c5bbff6ba2593e73692d2d1874e20fcd.JPG

Yeah, that front only lasted 4 years, while the facelift of it lasted 9 years...

• Educational 2

I liked the Ram looking grille and, while it took me a while to adjust to the new one, I now prefer it, as in "less is more."

- - - - -

Saying goodbye to LaCrosse as a whole has been difficult.  The 2nd-gen sold well.  I never liked it.  It was too chunky.

I liked the 1st-gen, which has been a pleasure to own, and the 3rd-gen version, seen below.

KIMG2970-inked.thumb.jpg.1c2b4d6eb033e1067444791835266eb1.jpg

Good-bye, last big(ger) Buick sedan.

• Like 1

I liked the Ram looking grille and, while it took me a while to adjust to the new one, I now prefer it, as in "less is more."

- - - - -

Saying goodbye to LaCrosse as a whole has been difficult.  The 2nd-gen sold well.  I never liked it.  It was too chunky.

I liked the 1st-gen, which has been a pleasure to own, and the 3rd-gen version, seen below.

KIMG2970-inked.thumb.jpg.1c2b4d6eb033e1067444791835266eb1.jpg

Good-bye, last big(ger) Buick sedan.

Hopefully the EV platforms will allow OEMs to build a car for those that want it.

Rented something Professional Grade to day to start my move…hustled 250 boxes from the old house to the new (from the garage to the garage).  A relatively new GMC with only 50k miles…old school inside with manual locks, column shift, a physical key but with power windows and power mirrors.  I think these have an LS V8, put my foot into it and it moved out pretty well. Though at 65-70 on the freeway it is deafeningly loud with all the squeaks, rattles and crashing over bumps.  Did the the job well. 

Top pic is at my old house, bottom pic at the new place. 

IMG_9411.jpeg

IMG_9395.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Rented something Professional Grade to day to start my move…hustled 250 boxes from the old house to the new (from the garage to the garage).  A relatively new GMC with only 50k miles…old school inside with manual locks, column shift, a physical key but with power windows and power mirrors.  I think these have an LS V8, put my foot into it and it moved out pretty well. Though at 65-70 on the freeway it is deafeningly loud with all the squeaks, rattles and crashing over bumps.  Did the the job well. 

Top pic is at my old house, bottom pic at the new place. 

IMG_9411.jpeg

IMG_9395.jpeg

How is the painting going?

1 hour ago, David said:

How is the painting going?

Should be starting Monday. They did some prep work today and put materials (ladders, paint, etc) in that house.   I got the modem and router set up Friday and tested (Spectrum 1gb service).   Spectrum had to string a line across the road to a pole and will have to bury the line to the house  ( house previously had AT&T, but they don’t have very fast offerings there)   

• Oh Yeah! 1

14 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Should be starting Monday. They did some prep work today and put materials (ladders, paint, etc) in that house.   I got the modem and router set up Friday and tested (Spectrum 1gb service).   Spectrum had to string a line across the road to a pole and will have to bury the line to the house  ( house previously had AT&T, but they don’t have very fast offerings there)   

Great to hear the painting is starting and that you got service for Internet so working from home is good. 1GB Service from Spectrum I have never heard of them. If you do not mind me asking how much is 1GB service there? Here I have Ziply, formerly Frontier, formerly Verizon Fiber service, so 1GB fiber service is $69.99 a month, plus taxes makes it $89 and change a month.

Will never go back to Comcast aka ComBLASTIC and I love my choices of streaming services. I use Netflix, Vudu and then via my Verizon cell service I get Disney +, Hulu and ESPN. Never use the ESPN service but happy with the rest.

7 minutes ago, David said:

Great to hear the painting is starting and that you got service for Internet so working from home is good. 1GB Service from Spectrum I have never heard of them. If you do not mind me asking how much is 1GB service there? Here I have Ziply, formerly Frontier, formerly Verizon Fiber service, so 1GB fiber service is $69.99 a month, plus taxes makes it $89 and change a month.

Will never go back to Comcast aka ComBLASTIC and I love my choices of streaming services. I use Netflix, Vudu and then via my Verizon cell service I get Disney +, Hulu and ESPN. Never use the ESPN service but happy with the rest.

Spectrum used to be called Charter...one of the old Midwest/East Coast cable companies, IIRC.   1GB service from them is $79.99 a month, better than Cox which I'm paying $135 a month now for.

AT&T has fiber in my new zip code, but not on my street yet.   The irony of it all is AT&T is installing fiber on my old street---been digging and installing it in the last couple of weeks. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Spectrum used to be called Charter...one of the old Midwest/East Coast cable companies, IIRC.   1GB service from them is $79.99 a month, better than Cox which I'm paying $135 a month now for.

AT&T has fiber in my new zip code, but not on my street yet.   The irony of it all is AT&T is installing fiber on my old street---been digging and installing it in the last couple of weeks. 

Thank you Robert for sharing, that is too funny that the Fiber is now going in as you are leaving.

Selling point to future owner.

$79.99 is not bad, good price and way better than your old service cost. Good to see that in the future AT&T will have fiber in then you can hopefully have them battle for your service at a lower price.

Interesting to compare rates across the country on pretty much the exact same service. Makes one wonder why the price difference when it is the same service pretty much.

Running errands and clearly the Polestar road show this weekend that is here at the Bellevue Polestar dealership is busy as there seems to be plenty of them on the road driving around.

20230428_154955.jpg

• Agree 1