What Are You Reading?

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

I'm bound to get a response like "Reading f@#king sucks, man, go watch television" here, but whatever. I'm willing to take that risk. :D

So, question is, what are you reading? I don't care if it's a novel the size of a $h!house brick, the Bible, "Car and Driver", or the side of a cereal carton, just post, up the old post count, and whistle some cheezy tune in the key of A.

What am I reading? "Futility" by Morgan Robertson and "The Sun Dog" by Stephen King.

Note: I feel like mentioning the novella "Futility" for one, if not a few, reasons. I'd like to point out that it was the novel that strangely foreshadowed the Titanic disaster of 1912. (The book was written about fourteen or fifteen years before that taken place, in 1898.) Also, it's author, Morgan Robertson, had an episode of deja vu some few years later with the book "Beyond The Spectrum". In that book, he managed to somehow foreshadow WW2...

Edited by YellowJacket894

Right now I'm in the middle of "All Corvettes are Red". I also try to read the Bible at least semi-regularly.

I enjoy books from the Oprah club.... (j/k)

Im a Mag guy like Maximum and Stuff. Car and Driver, Hot Rod, Chevy Performance. Penthouse, playboy, MAD magizine. And what ever else is stacked up on the toliet. I read this one book called "a walk in the woods" and it was good.

Also has anyone ever read "A Catcher in the Rye"? Is the Kid a child molester...

"The Corporation" by Joel Bakan.

It was made into a mini-series too.

It's about the history of the corporation in the US, and how it came to be what it is today, including what makes things like Enron happen. It's interesting to me - don't recommend it unless you tend to question society.

I'm reading this thread.

About 95% of my reading takes place on the Internet. I'm no big fan of novels whatsoever. I've read a few good ones in the past five years or so. I can almost name them all... "Ender's Game", "Left Behind", "Caravans"?. Not sure if that last one is correct. I find that books are too bulky and ultimately I prefer more interactive entertainment.

War Reporting for Cowards - Chris Ayres: A great book by a reluctant embedded British journalist in the current Iraqi war/occupation. It is non-political, just a book (in which the writer uses humor to help get the readers through the roughest parts) that describes the experience.

The Messiah of Morris Avenue - Tony Hendra: What if Jesus came back 20 years from now as a Latino from New York? This book looks at what might happen. It really makes you think. (I'm not a religious person and as long as you know the story of Jesus and aware of the way religion is "bought and sold" today, this book can speak to you. Tony Hendra was an editor of National Lampoon's and has worked with members of Monty Python. It is a serious book, but not a religious text and is not blaphemous.)

Lies My Teacher Told Me: Think by reading textbooks in High School you know a thing or two about history? You probably were given a pack of lies, or at least had "uncomfortable" subjects like the Native American extinction, racism, slavery and "infallable" American Heros white-washed until you only know the legend and not the facts.

It's about the history of Chicago.

"Make no small plans."

Me? The International Building Code. Not by choice. I am modifying plans and responding to the request for corrections made by various city plan checkers on two different projects. The part of my job I hate. That's why I didn't make a 6 or 7 am arrival today.

Guest YellowJacket894

Finished "The Sun Dog" and now I'm moving on to "The Posiedon Adventure" by Paul Gallico. (Yup. It's the basis for both "Poseidon" movies. And it's way better than the movies, anyway, and I'd bet it's better than the new one.)

Edited by YellowJacket894