Owners of Porsche Taycan EV unwillingly take 9 hrs to complete 2.5 hr trip

balthazar

Again the common thought that electrical devices are far more reliable gets a reality check.
I also note that it Tesla didn't keep their chargers proprietary, thusly 'helping the industry go electric', hours could've been sliced off their ordeal.

“We ran through the entire gamut of emotions in those nine hours – resignation, range anxiety, annoyance and disbelief that this was happening..."

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/nov/28/electric-cars-porsche-charging-network

A Kent couple love their new car – but their experience suggests there are problems with the charging network

they struggled to find a working charger capable of producing enough power to their electric car.

More of a network problem rather than an electric car problem.

Granted, a problem with the charging of a network BECOMES an electric car problem...  

We've all seen vacation problems go to shyte because of all sorts of things going bad with cars, boats, airplanes and somehow we dont blame the entire industry...  and say a reality check is needed. 

How many families over the last century have been driving long distances on the way to Wally World from Chicago and the radiator blew  somewhere between the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff.   :)

Yes. I understand what the narrative is said to be with electrical cars.   But the fact is that the Porsche Taycan was not the problem.  The charging network was a fault.  Maybe there needs to be a government intervention to force the operators to actually upkeep their system?

I guess we dont want more government intervention...

Its a business.  In a CAPITALISTIC WORLD.  NO GOVERNMENT INTERVENTION...SO...

If the owners of these charging networks suck in upkeeping their charging machines...

There is a business opportunity for a smart business man to make loads of money:

1.  for a repair man to start selling his services in repairing said defective chargers

2. and if these sucky owner/operators do NOT want to fork over money for repairs, then another smarter business owner/operator could start opening up charging stations that are in PERFECT operating order and KEPT that way...   HE will reap the reward...  

Honestly, I dont see that as an EV problem. 

• Agree 3

41 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Nonsense like this is why I will stick with a proper gas-guzzling SUV for the next decade or so.  I haven't had issues finding a working gas pump.

We all know that those that adopt new tech will experience the latest issues that have not been ironed out yet. Sadly, the UK unlike the US choose to disperse the Money from the VW settlement to local gov's to deal with building local charging stations. The US made sure VW was on the hook for a proper network, so the build out is very different there compared to here. I expect the US to leap frog the UK in supporting higher charging standards of working stations.

Getting built out better and better every day.

Locate a public EV charger | Electrify America

image.png

We have the Top 5 current Charging networks currently and I think this will change dramatically this decade in the US.

image.png

Much like the West coast has their electric highway covering Washington, Oregon, and California and now building out secondary highways / roads.

West Coast Green Highway: West Coast Electric Highway

Seems the South electrical providers have decided on building their own coalition for building a South / South East coast highway system.

New Electric Highway Coalition plans to connect US Gulf Coast, Midwest and Atlantic State destinations via fast chargers - POWERGRID International (power-grid.com)

image.png

Per this write up, 18 million EVs are expected to be on US roads by 2030 per the Edison Institute. With ICE having 150,000 gas stations with an average of 10 pumps per station, that is over 1 million pumps. EVs will finally be on par once the charging infrastructure for high speed recharging equal to ICE.

6 US Utility Companies Plan EV Charging Network In Southern States (cleantechnica.com)

Sure...

Air travel has the safest record of all travel and billions per year are poured for safety into aircraft maintenance and what not and each time there is an accident, reports are made to improve and prevent future accidents and yet, there is an enormous amount of room to improve still and air passenger travel has reached a century already. 

So yeah, the above statement is accurate. 

PS: despite sometimes there are aircraft that are unsafe and are grounded,  and are worked on to be flown again when the bugs are worked out, that dont seem to phase us, to travel by air, again, right? 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

The article mentions but pretty much sidesteps the fact that the owners were quite ignorant from start to finish here. It was not just about busted or non-working charging stations. Hell, the gas station nearest to my old place just outside of Greensboro has problem/non-functioning pumps every other week. These Taycan owners merely needed to charge their car overnight, before their 45 minute drive, and they would have covered that trip from start to finish with charge to spare.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2

I didnt bother reading all the details.  LOL

Im glad that you were able to sniff out that detail: 

These Taycan owners merely needed to charge their car overnight, before their 45 minute drive, and they would have covered that trip from start to finish with charge to spare.

I just read the sensationalist title: Why did it take 9 hours to go 130 miles?  (a slightly shorter trip that is Quebec City to Montreal, a trip that Ive done countless of times...a trip that should take 2.5-3 hours) and I laughed. So I sped read what could have been the problem and it was a charging issue.  I laughed even more.  So I just tackled the issue that way.  

But yeah...a Taycan, like the article states one paragragh in (that I just took the time to actually read it) has a range of 250 miles.  Half the distance required.  Technically, on a full charge, they should have had enough juice to go and come back...  I say technically because we all know there are range losses... 

But...  what is even MORE ridiculous about their "ordeal"  is that  going to Quebec City and back to Montreal should only be about 5 hours. Their trip is slighty shorty by about 40-50 miles.  They took 9 hours.  About 4 hours more. About 90-100% more time...

The thing is...like you said, if they charged at home...(dont give me no bullshyte that they dont have a charger at home...anywhere on the planet, you have money to buy a brand NEW PORSCHE, ANY brand NEW PORSCHE, and you gots money to own a house with a garage and buying a NEW ELECTRIC PORSCHE, then THAT means you got the money to have a charger installed at your house...you got no money or house and you got NO BUSINESS OWNING such a vehicle...) if they charged at home, then they get to go to their destination NO problem.  They WILL eat at their destination, they could find a restaurant with a charger or independent charger whilst driving around as they could actually do that as the Taycan has enough range to do such a thing... they could top off and have more than enough range to get back home no sweat...   

After typing this, Im starting to think the story is bupkis.  Rubbish.  A fairytale of King Arthur proportions. 

PS:  My other two posts before this one, I stand by them even more! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

The thing is...like you said, if they charged at home...(dont give me no bullshyte that they dont have a charger at home...anywhere on the planet, you have money to buy a brand NEW PORSCHE, ANY brand NEW PORSCHE, and you gots money to own a house with a garage and buying a NEW ELECTRIC PORSCHE, then THAT means you got the money to have a charger installed at your house...you got no money or house and you got NO BUSINESS OWNING such a vehicle...) 

It could be just a lease...a lot of Brits have tiny houses or apartments with very little space to park.

15 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

It could be just a lease...a lot of Brits have tiny houses or apartments with very little space to park.

I am not denying that.  Probably true.  And come to think of it, I kinda know this.  

What I should have said instead, is user error rather than go on a long, useless tirade.   But my opinion stays the same.

1. Not an electric car problem

2. A charging network problem because owner/operators are dumb. Because a non-working charger is not generating revenue...   The purpose of a business is to generate...revenue.  

3. A non-working charging system is but a small hiccup on the grand scale of things

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

And that illustrates the problem with the article in general as it doesn’t seem to bring that up at all if indeed that is the case. The whole thing is sensationalized as it stands so I’m just taking that with a grain of salt while wondering why certain facts were omitted from the article. 

• Agree 3

I just find it funny that the couples basic ignorance and refusal to do just a little research before acquiring a Taycan is not the bigger issue here. Yes, UKs infrastructure needs some work but to be fair, the country wasn’t exactly a bastion for liberal gas consumption (higher costs to fuel there than here for example). After searching through several articles regarding the couple and their car, it seems that they did buy it and understood that they could have charged it at home yet didn’t. Now their blatant ignoring of such a things leads to a nice fodder article for the non-convinced folks but it is pure fodder knowing these simple facts. The slant here is pretty obvious.

• Agree 3

Reality is complex, if the UK market is remotely like the US, the general public is deeply ignorant of anything technical about their consumer products....probably typical generic 'muppets' that buy a Porsche for the bling factor with no comprehension of it's usability.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 3

Reminds me of how people buy wireless charging pads for their phones and yet cannot seem to understand the basics of EV ownership. If your so lazy about plugging in, then buy one of the wireless charging pads for auto's for home use.

Clear slant by a bias ICE person and ignorance about the fact that they should have charged up to full before doing their road trip.

• Agree 2

I don't think people who laid down six figures / "love" their battery electric car are 'clearly ICE / biased". ?

While they certainly should have charged at home overnight, their experience on the road attempting to charge is neither incompetence or a lack of research.

@Robert Hall @surreal1272 @oldshurst442 Seems Porsche has gotten the message as with a new battery design for all EV's going forward, they have also taken a page from Book of Tesla and have committed the money to build out their own high speed 800V charging network on all major roads across Europe. Oddly it seems UK is not on that list which makes me wonder if Brexit took it's toll here.

High-performance batteries with silicon anodes and Porsche fast-charging stations

Seems even more in support of this is that VW has committed to 18,000 800V high speed chargers across Europe by 2025 on top of new batteries for VW and Audi and expanded new VW gigafactories.

Here are the biggest announcements from Volkswagen’s battery event - The Verge

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

I don't think people who laid down six figures / "love" their battery electric car are 'clearly ICE / biased". ?

While they certainly should have charged at home overnight, their experience on the road attempting to charge is neither incompetence or a lack of research.

Not the couple, I am talking about the person who wrote the story.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Umm, it is exactly incompetence and lack of research. 

• Agree 3

So... before setting out on their trip, they should've plotted their route and gone online to done as much of a 'real-time' analysis of charger outlets along the way being inoperable and the wait times projected at the time they would be there, then continually altered their route to all other possible ones that allowed operable chargers with reasonable wait times, then recorded/taken said optimum route, with the hope that in the interim; said charger scenarios don't change.

You're right; they were incompetent.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, David said:

@Robert Hall @surreal1272 @oldshurst442 Seems Porsche has gotten the message as with a new battery design for all EV's going forward, they have also taken a page from Book of Tesla and have committed the money to build out their own high speed 800V charging network on all major roads across Europe. Oddly it seems UK is not on that list which makes me wonder if Brexit took it's toll here.

High-performance batteries with silicon anodes and Porsche fast-charging stations

Seems even more in support of this is that VW has committed to 18,000 800V high speed chargers across Europe by 2025 on top of new batteries for VW and Audi and expanded new VW gigafactories.

Here are the biggest announcements from Volkswagen’s battery event - The Verge

Not the couple, I am talking about the person who wrote the story.

Analysts are saying that VW group will be the top EV seller in about 5-10 years from now.  Im glad they see a need for them to replicate what Tesla is doing.  Its gonna help their image and VW EV ownership that much better for their customers.  A way to build brand identity and hence brand loyalty?  

• Agree 1

We shouldnt take away what that couple had to deal with. Which is the CORE problem.

A charger network that seems to be wonky.  

IF the charger network had been decent, then there is NO news to talk about REGARDLESS if the couple charged at home or not.   IF the charger system had worked, then the ONLY thing that is stupid here is the stupidness of the couple NOT using the ONE perk of owing an EV properly. Which is the CONVENIENCE of charging an EV vehicle AT home and leaving for your destination with a FULL CHARGE making a destination that much easier without the need to charge up and wait longish times to do so.   They didnt. But...it SHOULDNT have MATTERED...

HOWEVER...

We SHOUDLNT also forget that we SHOULD know what the phoque it is we are BUYING and getting ourselves into when we are buying techno and/or mechanical shyte.

We SHOULD know how an automobile works. Even more so an electrical one since its new technology that has been introduced to us.  

• Agree 2

Part of the problem for consumers is the factually-challenged hyperbole lacing most of the narrative on BE’s. ‘IC bans in 9 years’, ‘new gas stations banned’, ‘100% BE’s by 2030’, ‘BE sales “soaring!!!!!’ is a disconnect from reality, and I think, isn’t so different than high pressure loan tactics some banks have done.