Bigger is Better as GM Revives Hummer by GMC Electric Trucks

G. David Felt

image.png

Bloomberg reported back in June 2019 that GM was looking at bringing back Hummer to the portfolio. People questioned why bring back a Gas Guzzler and would it really help or hinder GM who was pushing Green and showing off their Bolt EV. President Mark Reuss is on record as saying he loves the Hummer!

GM at the time was touting the BEV3 electric platform that will support 20 EVs on the road globally by 2023. Reuss also at the time said that the GMC Denali line and AT4 off-road trucks could all be potentially offered with electric powertrains.

GM bought the Hummer brand in 1998, peaked sales in 2006 at 71,524 auto's and was down to 4,000 sold in 2010 as they killed off the brand.

Now here we are roughly 6 months later and GM insiders are saying that the electric Hummer has been green lighted to be GM's first electric pickup. A boxy style of yore, battery powered selling at the GMC dealerships. This is an interesting move as you have a generation of people growing up with GMC being associated as environmentally friendly and now you can have your EV too. From your 10MPG Hummers of yore to now being part of a $3 billion investment in the Detroit Hamtramck factory for building EVs with the UAW and the new Battery plant with LG, it would seem GM is betting on this new Hummer by GMC EVs to make a go of it. Full size SUVs are also planned.

Look for Hummer by GMC at the Super Bowl with a Commercial starring LeBron James selling Hummer by GMC.

Reuters Hummer Story January 2020

Bloomberg Hummer Story January 2020

Bloomberg Hummer Story June 2019

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Interesting...it's not April 1st.... would be interesting to see if they can revive a tainted brand name..

In all fairness, it was only tainted with a certain type of snowflake, tree huggin', pot smokin', hippie  millennial crowd that started the pious (Prius) movement not realizing, because they were and still are brain dead, to see that Toyoter had MORE gas guzzling SUVs and CUVs in their stable than General Motors had...even with the Hummer brand...

BMW, Mercedes, Porsche all whored themselves out with SUVs at this time too, but 'twas GM and Hummer that took the fall with these hypocritical, virtuous asshats...  

Hummer was actually loved by enthusiasts. Truck guys and gals along with sports car guys and gals. 

I think Hummer would do great today with gasoline engines!!!

I do not know how marketing will solve the electric issue with Hummer... Marketing better be good...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

In all fairness, it was only tainted with a certain type of snowflake, tree huggin', pot smokin', hippie  millennial crowd that started the pious (Prius) movement not realizing, because they were and still are brain dead, to see that Toyoter had MORE gas guzzling SUVs and CUVs in their stable than General Motors had...even with the Hummer brand...

Hummer was actually loved by enthusiasts. Truck guys and gals along with sports car guys and gals. 

Well, the H2 was hideous looking with a nasty $5 rubbermaid interior.... .so it's a brand known for garbage...the H3 was the same crap in a smaller form factor.   Not some of GM's better efforts, best forgotten.   Also the owners of them had kind of a douchey image. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Confused 1
  • Disagree 1

21 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Well, the H2 was hideous looking with a nasty $5 rubbermaid interior.... .so it's a brand known for garbage...the H3 was the same crap in a smaller form factor. 

Garbage interior yes.  I dont disagree.  I AGREE 100%

(Ill insert the edited part of my previous quote here)  (with an edited version of that as well to better discuss your post)

Toyoter had MORE gas guzzling SUVs and CUVs in their stable than General Motors had...even with the Hummer brand...

BMW, Mercedes, Porsche all whored themselves out with SUVs at this time too, but 'twas GM and Hummer that took the fall with these hypocritical, virtuous asshats...  

I do not think it bothered Hummer buyers and potential customers of Hummer that the interiors were garbage. The externals were great. The powertrains and the machismo looks is all that mattered.  

H2 Hideous?  I will not argue.   It was a very aggressive look.  It worked for some many. It was a baby H1. Actually, people kinda DEMANDED for a scaled down version of the H1. Hence the H2 being what it was.  And H3.  Hummer was on its way to being a Jeep Wrangler competitor and I think Jeep would have suffered for it had Hummer been kept alive.   Jeep would have taken it to the chin I think. 

When Hummer got nixed, that paved the way for the Wrangler to gain 2 more doors, eventually a bed and just become an immovable force in the automotive world. (As long as SUVs remain the go to for people haulers)  

I think Hummer would STILL do great today with gasoline engines if GM wanted to go the ICE path with Hummer.

I think Hummer as EV is an uphill climb.  Marketing better be good...  

Hummer still has that bad ass buzz about it. And something about electric motors (for me, for Hummer) diminishes that badassery...

Like I said...marketing, the off road badassery,  masculine toxicity looks BETTER be good with Hummer if GM wants the EV Hummer thing to succeed. 

Edited by oldshurst442

2 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

(Ill insert the edited part of my previous quote here)  (with an edited version of that as well to better discuss your post)

Toyoter had MORE gas guzzling SUVs and CUVs in their stable than General Motors had...even with the Hummer brand...

Fake news.  In the oughts the only full size gas guzzler type SUVs Toyota had were the Sequoia, Land Cruiser and Lexus LX and GX.  4 models compared to GM’s 8...

Toyota’s midsize models, the FJ Cruiser and 4Runner probably got better mileage than the GM GMT-360s.  

23 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Also the owners of them had kind of a douchey image. 

Yes.

Mercedes owners have that. 

Camaro and Mustang owners have that.  

Cadillac owners had that image too once upon a time ago. 

And the mother of all douchey images belongs to?

Image result for bmw douchebag meme"

• Haha 1

Hummer drivers seemed to be a different type of douchey than European premium car drivers, though...it was faux macho, faux redneckery mixed with doucheyness... ?

It's funny, I have a few friends that are veterans of Desert Storm and the Gulf Wars that absolute hate the military HMMMWWWW (what ever it was that became H1)--said they were unreliable and junky in the field,  and hate the street Hummers--said they are posermobiles...

Edited by Robert Hall

Just now, Robert Hall said:

Fake news.  In the oughts the only full size gas guzzler type SUVs Toyota had were the Sequoia, Land Cruiser and Lexus LX and GX.  4 models compared to GM’s 8...

Toyota’s midsize models, the FJ Cruiser and 4Runner probably got better mileage than the GM GMT-360s.  

You are forgetting the Highlander, the RAV4, The RX...

You could conveniently ignore the CUVs, but those were still sold under the premise of being UTILITY Vehicles...

Semantics with the FJ Cruiser and 4Runner getting better gas mileage. 

The FJ and 4Runner were still gaz guzzling pigs.  

What is good for the goose, is good for the gander. 

GM ALWAYS had a BIG stable of LARGE SUVs in their line-up going back DECADES.  Toyota, I RECOGNIZE had a history of SUVs too.  The FJ original was the Land Cruiser...  was a reversed engineered Willys  from right after the war. Toyota always had small pick-up trucks. I recognize that too. The 4Runner was an original SUV at the same time the baby Blazer and baby Jimmy from the early to mid 1980s.  I get that.  But GM ALWAYS had Fullsized Blazer, Jimmy, both nameplates GMC and Chevy Suburban.  That would be 4. 

The full sized Land Cruiser made its debut in the 1980s....  

But...semantics or not...hyperbolic numbers that I said....

MY point STILL stands.

Like I said...'twas GM and Hummer that took the fall.

NOBODY lambasted Toyota for their part in producing SUVs...

Just now, oldshurst442 said:

You are forgetting the Highlander, the RAV4, The RX...

You could conveniently ignore the CUVs, but those were still sold under the premise of being UTILITY Vehicles...

The Highlander, Rav4 and RX were tiny in the 00s... mostly 4 cyls.

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Hummer drivers seemed to be a different type of douchey than European premium car divers, though...it was faux macho, faux redneckery mixed with doucheyness... 

Rolling coal asshats for me represent redneck doucheyness. 

Hummer machismo is the same with fullsized pick-up truck superiority to me when these guys drive like they own the road because they are heavier and bigger than the rest of us. Which is the same, in my eyes, as the fake, snootiness that some European luxury car owners exude. 

But in reality, none of that actually bothers me.

Expect BMWs....

I HATE BMWs!!!

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The Highlander, Rav4 and RX were tiny in the 00s... mostly 4 cyls.

Dont matter.

Same image. 

Just now, oldshurst442 said:

But in reality, none of that actually bothers me.

Expect BMWs....

I HATE BMWs!!!

I like old BMWs when they were still all about the driving...manuals, inline 6s, no BS...

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I like old BMWs when they were still all about the driving...manuals, inline 6s, no BS...

Those are OK.  I still dont like 'em. But they do represent and own a piece of automotive history.  So I respect that aspect.

I do like some of those Bimmers myself though.  And there are other Bimmers that I like that go against the grain of what is popular in the world of BMW.   Like the first generation 1M.

Image result for BMW 1m"

Many ironies with this.

Many BMW "enthusiasts" hated this because...I dont know why.  But these guys preferred the bloated M3 over this but THIS is the BMW that goes back to BMW's roots. And THAT is why I LOVE this BMW.  Because I understood what this car represents. 

Another irony is that I never understood this love affair of the BMW and their "ultimate driving machine slogan"  and I really never cared for it, but with the 1M, its like I got it, understood it and loved it and became an old school 2002 ti BMW freak because of it but all those Bimmer guys,  that say they love BMW because BMWs really are the ultimate driving machines, well, they now go crazy for BMWs that really are not all that, and ignore the one and only BMW that truly is a fantastic machine to drive...

The only current BMW I like is the M2... compact, manual, 6 cyl.   The last M3 I really liked was the E46 in the oughts... I loved my E36 I had back in the 90s-early 00s...on a winding Colorado mountain road, it was very satisfying..wouldn't mind finding a well-maintained E36 or E46 M3 if I had more garage space...

Edited by Robert Hall

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The only current BMW I like is the M2... compact, manual, 6 cyl.   The last M3 I really liked was the E46 in the oughts... I loved my E36 I had back in the 90s-early 00s...on a winding Colorado mountain road, it was very satisfying..wouldn't mind finding a well-maintained E36 or E46 M3 if I had more garage space...

I also like the M2 or the M235. The E36 I like.  Especially in M guise. I actually like the X6. 

My absolute favorite BMWs are the E39 5 Series. Especially in M guise. The Z8 of the same time period and the 1980s  M635 csi.

13 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I also like the M2 or the M235. The E36 I like.  Especially in M guise. I actually like the X6. 

My absolute favorite BMWs are the E39 5 Series. Especially in M guise. The Z8 of the same time period and the 1980s  M635 csi.

The E39 is about the perfect midsize BMW 4dr.  Love the M versions in the light and the dark blues.... the E38 7 series is great for a full size--looks trim and clean compared to today's bloated 7 series.... those 80s 6 series coupes were beautiful...I also love the original 8 series--- big 2dr hardtop w/ popup headlights...avaiable in a V12 w/ a 6spd...excess, yes, but a wonderful 80s-90s sort of excess...

Edited by Robert Hall

Those blues from the 1990s were  awesome colours.  

Image result for blue BMW E39 M5"

Image result for blue bmw e46 m3"

And the darker  blue for the M635csi.

Image result for blue bmw M635csi"

Something about the E46 that I hate. Probably my douchebag Greek friends more than anything else.  

I never liked the 7 Series. Always hated them. Iused to like the Bangle Butt one. For awhile.  Now I hate that one too. 

The 8 Series?  Im on the fence with that one.  I have always been on the fence with that one.  The V12 is something that I liked about it. The pop-up lights of course is always a winner in my books.  But...I guess its because its a BMW that I never really took to it.  The E39 and the E36 are hard NOT to like. Even for a hater like me.  LOL

The E39 is the perferct midsized car for the modern times.  The E39 M5 is just THE perfect car in modern times.  Hard not to like that.  I love that V8 engine in it.  But GM gave us a version that tops it in my books. The Chevy SS with a V8 that spoeaks to me.  The E39 M5 is not a muscle car, but a European sports sedan. The Chevy SS and the Pontiac G8 GXP is that muscle car that I wanted the E39 M5 to be. 

The Charger is nice and all...but its missing something.  Its missing what the Challenger has in spades. So we good with that. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Well, the H2 was hideous looking with a nasty $5 rubbermaid interior.... .so it's a brand known for garbage...the H3 was the same crap in a smaller form factor.   Not some of GM's better efforts, best forgotten.   Also the owners of them had kind of a douchey image. 

Hmmmmm ? Never considered myself Douchey! ? I loved the H2 and H3 Alpha they were great to own and handled off road really well. Yes interior left something to be considered and the 5 cylinder engine sucked, but the V8 versions were great.

21 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I do not think it bothered Hummer buyers and potential customers of Hummer that the interiors were garbage. The externals were great. The powertrains and the machismo looks is all that mattered.  

H2 Hideous?  I will not argue.   It was a very aggressive look.  It worked for some many. It was a baby H1. Actually, people kinda DEMANDED for a scaled down version of the H1. Hence the H2 being what it was.  And H3.  Hummer was on its way to being a Jeep Wrangler competitor and I think Jeep would have suffered for it had Hummer been kept alive.   Jeep would have taken it to the chin I think. 

When Hummer got nixed, that paved the way for the Wrangler to gain 2 more doors, eventually a bed and just become an immovable force in the automotive world. (As long as SUVs remain the go to for people haulers)  

I think Hummer would STILL do great today with gasoline engines if GM wanted to go the ICE path with Hummer.

I think Hummer as EV is an uphill climb.  Marketing better be good...  

Hummer still has that bad ass buzz about it. And something about electric motors (for me, for Hummer) diminishes that badassery...

Like I said...marketing, the off road badassery,  masculine toxicity looks BETTER be good with Hummer if GM wants the EV Hummer thing to succeed. 

Did ya ever drive a H3 Alpha, that was the V8 powered version and it went, was great off road and I loved them.

Very excited for the EV Hummers!

They will suck up all the excuses EV Haters Blow with! :P 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Hmmmmm ? Never considered myself Douchey! ? I loved the H2 and H3 Alpha they were great to own and handled off road really well. Yes interior left something to be considered and the 5 cylinder engine sucked, but the V8 versions were great.

I know I'm super-opinionated.. the Hummer just never remotely appealed to me, I'm a Jeep guy.   (but I do like GM full size SUVs).  It will be interesting to see how the EV revival goes..we live in interesting times...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

I know I'm super-opinionated.. the Hummer just never remotely appealed to me, I'm a Jeep guy.   It will be interesting to see how the EV revival goes..we live in interesting times...

That is so true, I agree that  Hummer did not appeal to everyone unlike Jeep has done.

Will be very interested to see how well Hummer by GMC does.