Your next car

ocnblu

If anyone is like me, your mind is always thinking about what's next.  So here it is:  when thinking about what you want in your NEXT vehicle, what are you looking to change v. what you drive now?

BIGGER?

Smaller?

Configuration/bodystyle change?  Color?  Powertrain?  Cost?  Brand?  SPECIES?

Post your current plans here.  Let's flesh out the features you want next, and why.

• Agree 1

Considering I previously went 17 years between buying daily drivers, I probably won't change soon...I plan to keep this current '14 Jeep to 100k..it's almost to 50k now.   So I'm probably 3-5 years from looking seriously at something new/er.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

I honestly do not know what I want to own next.

There is literally NOTHING out there that excites me.  Especially when my current car...*sigh*...I hate mentioning it...a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD is still a pretty good ride for me.  Nothing entices me in any brand to part ways with my car. 

I do not want a CUV.  I want a sedan. Sedans are leaving us. 

I HATE my car's successor from Acura, the TLX.  

I do like the Buick Regal sportsback or whatever its called. It too will die. But like I said, the Regal does not entice me enough to trade in my current car.  I LOVE being car payment free. 

A Tesla Model 3?  Nah...Ill wait out the EV trend until later.  When more choices are out there.  Although the Mach-E seems cool. But no thanx. 

A Cadillac CT5?   I like.  I like a  lot. But Id have to buy a CT5 that is fits my mental budget allowance for a car. I dont want to spend MORE that 50 000 CDN including taxes on a car.  I think a CT5 could fit that budget. But it also depends what powertrain that includes at that price...  But then again,  its a Cadillac. I do not see myself as a Cadillac type of a guy. But there is no more Oldsmobile, so Cadillac should do...but...I like being car payment free...   

Im keeping my car for another 5 years at least. And in 5 years, who knows what will be offered?  Unless of course my car suffers from catastrophic failure, and I hope that does NOT happen as Im not really excited by anything as of now. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/14/2019 at 1:44 PM, balthazar said:

My 2500HD turned 195,000 miles yesterday. ?

My 2010 G37S is at 192000 :)

I have now 2016 Mazda 6 as my daily, will  keep G for now as a "fun" car, it isn't worth much anyway but still runs great, and I really hope in 1-2 years I will be able to buy a used GT350

Edited by ykX
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

I am rarely looking at a new car as in terms of "right now."

But I am always looking at new cars in terms of "near to medium term" future.

I, too, hate car payments.  (I'd rather go to Europe more often.)  My current sled turns 12 fairly soon.  And, from when I came onto C&G when the redesign of my current car was a hot off the press topic, it took another 3 years for me to actually buy it.

What's on the market that I like right now?  NOTHING.  I also want a sedan.  I am waiting to see what the new Charger looks like.  It's currently the only vehicle I like ... and in purist form, as opposed to pimped out form.  Chrysler dealerships either know nothing or are hushed on any info on the next version, which they'll start producing in about a year at the Brampton, ON, Canada plant.

And, if and when the Charger hits the ground, I will have my fingers crossed that it won't be yet another vehicle with the "laptop left open" info/audio center on its dashboard and I will probably wait 3 years to see that the powertrain, if new or just revised, is debugged. 

So, as the saying goes, "just because I'm on a diet doesn't mean I can't read the menu."

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

Thinking of which 2020 Outback I want to order next...

Had a 2020 Outback Limited 2.5. Now in my GREEEN 2020 Onyx XT Turbo. Thinking Touring next time, either engine...hmm. Perfect size and fit for me, more than I expected, and more space and comfort with height than several crossovers. The turbo 2.4 is a beast on the highway, but those thigh extenders in the new Limited/Touring leather seats are...a must have.

Friend just crossed 130,000 in her 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited this week...title in the mail...and still not sure what she might want next time. I said keep going, it'll be fine...and in 5 years, not a lot of competition has checked as many boxes into as great of a package yet. Wants a bit bigger, but doesn't like the Durango. Bouncing around ideas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I plan on waiting a few years since I like my current car.  Then I'll get another used Mercedes.  I would like an SL, but I don't know if I really want to live with a low to the ground 2 seater when I am 6'2".  If not the SL, back to an another E-class.

Well, I would like to buy a RWD sedan, since I have had FWD sedans for just over 20 years now.  I could either get a lightly used CT6 or a newer Chrysler 300 or pick up a Genesis G80/KIA K900.  If I HAD TO GET a CUV, then a Cadillac XT5 will do nicely.

12 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Still daydreaming of a new / newer full-size truck. Coming up hard on 197,000.

You going to keep it going to 200k? 

My Jeep is now a few hundred miles away from the 50k mark.   Still running well..

^ I’m not actively shopping at the moment, and it’s not costing me repair money. Powertrain seems to be made out of bedrock. Have new bumpers to install this spring, plus new rear pads. I’ll do those jobs. It’ll probably be with me thru most of ‘20 at least.

I never imagined I’d be in the same truck for 14 years and 150K miles.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I never imagined I’d be in the same truck for 14 years and 150K miles.

That's how I felt about my old Jeep...kept it almost 17 years and 170k miles.   Never thought I'd go that long w/ one vehicle...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

Love my current rides, next one will be an EV for the wife. Rivian, Lordstown, depends on what the existing OEMs have to offer. Right now, probably 2023 at the earliest in buying an EV since battery production, parts production, etc. need to ramp up before we have variety out there. I could possibly see us getting a Mach e GT AWD.

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed. Crossed 11,500 miles on the 2020 Outback Onyx XT Turbo, since late October pick up. Going back to a soon to be built, non turbo 2.5L 2020 Outback Limited with more equipment--extendable thigh bolster, Harmon Kardon, etc. I have missed. 3000-3500 miles a month is a continued good R&D liveability test.

Power, either way, is fine. Waiting on an ETA.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Zane Wylder said:

Dropped my budget down to $7-8k max, so deciding between a Miata and TJ, as I already got a Truck and Sedan.

Which would you go for now

LOL, very different toys.  Off road or on road fun?  I guess it is your preference.  

I think for the money you can get "newer" or in better shape Miata.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ykX said:

LOL, very different toys.  Off road or on road fun?  I guess it is your preference.  

I think for the money you can get "newer" or in better shape Miata.

True, though like the 90s, as there's something about an older car you can't get in a modern one, and just more easier to do DIY stuff to, even something as inane as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITzHV1OPX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ve1bKckJt4

Of course, if I find a MR2 that's solid, thats also part gonna be considered as well. Gonna test drive around July, see which one suits me

• Agree 1

@Zane Wylder My dream car is GT350, I was hoping to be able to buy a used one this or beginning of next year.  However, with the huge cluster f@ck going on now, I might not be able to afford it.  If that will be the case I probably will try to go for a Miata, but I would like to get a used ND and maybe turbo charge it later.

Edited by ykX
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ykX said:

@Zane Wylder My dream car is GT350, I was hoping to be able to buy a used one this or beginning of next year.  However, with the huge cluster f@ck going on now, I might not be able to afford it.  If that will be the case I probably will try to go for a Miata, but I would like to get a used ND and maybe turbo charge it later.

Both cars are awesome, doubt you would regret either one

Funny, one of my dream cars is an 11-14 GT convertible, I'll get there someday, but like you, gonna do what I gotta do atm, no regrets