Alternative Fuels & Propulsion RANDOM

‘Squeaked by’ = surpassed. At 3%, that seems a reasonable descriptor. And at 3%, I would also agree with ‘met’. 

I seriously doubt any market will outlaw IC; to my knowledve there are no retro-active automotive laws- if it was legal when produced, it’s grandfathered in permanently.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

It would be appreciated / beneficial to the news channel threads here if the hyperbole was brought more inline with reality. 184K actual on a 177K estimate is a mere 3% over that estimate. "Squeaked by" is far more appropriate than "blew past", IMO.

Food for thought; since there's MORE than enough misrepresentations in the Battery Electric narrative as it is.

In the stock market world, it seems 3% is a huge number and Bloomberg, CNN, Reuters all seem to be using terms like that today about Tesla Q1. Call it crazy or not, but 3% versus hit their numbers is a big deal. 

Course I see blew up as an appropriate term for Dell where the over all industry for 2020 was down 8% in hardware tech sales and Dell had a 15.6% gain for the year, so I would say they blew up their estimation guidance. :P 

Will have to get a write up on this later, but the Hummer EV SUV is released and Watts to Freedom is available for reserving now.

2024 GMC HUMMER EV SUV Debuts during March Madness

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

^ Well, it's exactly what anyone would've expected; the pickup with a roofed cargo area.

That said, I do like a lot of the design elements and it's look overall.

Totally agree, I think pretty much all of us figured a closed in bed area. I do very much like the looks of this better than the truck and I think it is the more finished look at the back due to being an SUV over the truck.

I will say that I like this interior color combo much better than the Nasa First Edition black and white color combo they did.

2024-GMC-HUMMER-EV-SUV-003.jpg

Over all, both the truck and SUV are so much better than the looks of Tesla.

2024-GMC-HUMMER-EV-SUV-002.jpg

Glad that the spare tire is on the rear of the SUV rather than under it or inside like they did on the 90's suburban.

2024-GMC-HUMMER-EV-SUV-001.jpg

Per the Press Release:

Expected best-in-class off-road proportions will help make the new SUV maneuverable, while also making the most of the HUMMER EV’s available signature features such as CrabWalk, Extract Mode and more. The SUV’s look remains rugged and includes a new rear design with mounted full-size spare tire. Inside, a similar five-passenger layout from the pickup remains and includes a large and useful rear cargo area.

Additional highlights:

• Master of maneuverability, with a 126.7-inch wheelbase giving it expected best-in-class off-road proportions with impressive departure and breakover angles, and a tighter turning circle of only 35.4 feet (10.8 meters) with 4 Wheel Steer standard on 2X, 3X and Edition 1
  • An immersive interior puts the driver at the center of every moment, including customizable, multisensory user features and an open driving experience with the standard Infinity Roof with removable Sky Panels, I-Bar and rear drop glass
  • GM’s Ultium Drive System offers up to 830 horsepower and up to 11,500 lb-ft of torque (GM estimated) — enough power for super-fast 0-60-mph sprints in approximately 3.5 seconds with Watts To Freedom3
  • New tactical technology via the redesigned myGMC app4 including Energy Assist
  • Great degree of customization via My Mode, auxiliary buttons and nearly 200 accessories available at launch
  • Next-gen electric, with a 20-module Ultium battery system offering up to a GM estimated 300-plus miles of range5 on Edition 1 (with standard equipment)

Additionally, all HUMMER EV SUV models feature the enhanced version of Super Cruise6, an available driver-assistance technology offering hands-free driving on more than 200,000 miles (approximately 322,000 km) of enabled roads, and a new automatic lane changing feature, where the system can determine when a lane change is optimal and initiate the maneuver, while following signaling protocols.

Pricing and Production

When production begins in early 2023, the HUMMER EV SUV Edition 1 will have a starting MSRP of $105,5957 (including DFC). When equipped with the available Extreme Off-Road Package, the starting price will be $110,5957 (including DFC).

image.png

Interesting that the 1st Edition SUV does not get the 1,000 HP like the Truck. Bet if you can get your hands on the code, you could flash the SUV to the same performance as the Truck.

Interesting ? More information and reservation details are available at www.gmc.com/HummerEV, and additional details on new HUMMER EV SUV features will be published on Monday, April 5.

We'll be interesting to see what additional information they release on Monday.

On 3/17/2021 at 1:19 AM, David said:

Breaking News

Back in November 2020 BMW released a detailed info about their first main stream EV the BMW iX CUV.

The first ever BMW iX – Design World Premiere. (bmwgroup.com)

image.png

Green Car reports has stated that while BMW North America was not willing to release actual pricing, they did say that this EV will compete head to head with Tesla X and Audi E-Tron as well as the upcoming Mercedes-Benz EQS SUV. BMW North America said to expect this EV to start in the mid 80K. Pre-ordering is expected to start in June 2021 with first deliveries scheduled for early 2022.

This EV will start then at around $85,000 and go up from there with 500 HP, awd, 0-62mph in 5 seconds and top speed of 124 mphP90407462_highRes_the-first-ever-bmw-i.jpg

2022 BMW iX: 300-mile electric SUV will rival Model X and E-Tron, start around $85,000 (greencarreports.com)

And the case of the Uglies rolls on with EVs. Why does every EV have to be so god damn ugly!?!  I like the numbers from the power train, but the car could be powered by the risen Jesus pedaling hard and I still wouldn’t drive that thing.

So far, the only EVs I think look decent are the Audi, Porsche, and Volvo/Polestar. The Rivians look great. The BMW, MB, Hummer, and Bolt all look ugly or dorky. The Teslas and Jaguar are meh. If the Cadillacs stay close to concept they should look pretty good, but Cadillac has a habit or producing gorgeous concepts and then dumbing them down a lot for production.

• Agree 1

I like the Hummer EV pick-up truck and I adore the SUV version now that the sUV version has been revealed. 

I agree with @Drew Dowdell about some dorky and ugly EVs and why they are that way, which they do not have to be. 

My list varies a little from his, but not by much.

The Porsche and Audi sedans are sexy. Very sexy to me. Although Im starting to get over the Porsche's looks. The front end has got to go.  

Volvo/Polestar to me are meh. Nothing really wrong with them, but nothing too exciting. Like Volvo cars in general.  

BMWs all across the board are fugly, which makes that a non-EV issue, but rather a BMW issue in general.

Mercedes EVs are ugly.   Mercedes has a habit of producing really sexy cars, but really ugly ones too. Why didnt they go the route of sexy EVs?  

Rivians, like the Porsche Taycan, the front end has got to go. Too dorky lookin'. The rest of the Rivian SUV is...like any other SUV. But because this one is a boxy one, I kinda like it.  I would take the HUMMER SUV over the Rivian one for sure.  

Jaguar EVs are meh too me.  Jags usually are sexy. Their EVs are pedestrian. 

Tesla.  Their SUVs are frumpy and ugly. The Model 3 is meh, while the Model S was once a sexy ride, but now its long in the tooth.   

Both Chevrolets (Bolt and Bolt EUV) are just ugly, dorky things. 

Hopefully Cadillac will produce some nice looking EVs.  Stately and arrogant like they used to do in the '50s and '60s is what I hope they are shootin' for.  Like their concepts of the 2000s and on...

VW looks like they will have some great looking EVs down the line.   As with Hyundai.

The Faraday Future looks like it could be a sexy thing. If it ever gets to be sold... 

Edited by oldshurst442

4 hours ago, ykX said:

Looks great, but at $110k plus it is another toy for the rich.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Will be interesting to see how it compares to the Rivian. 

Different markets. The Rivian prioritizes range over ultimate power. Also there is a big difference in size.

Rivian R1S is about 202" long.
Hummer EV SUV length hasn't been released AFARK, but it's said to have a 9" shorter wheelbase than the Hummer EV pickup @ 217", plus have shorter overhangs. Maybe circa 205-206"?

However, Rivian is 79" wide, Hummer pickup is a staggering 86.7" wide.

Hell, that's wider than my 81" B-59! 

But I see them targeting the exact same market, DD.

13 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Hummer pickup is a staggering 86.7" wide.

That is freakin' wide.   I knew it was a monster of a thing, but I never thought it was that big. 

As per wiki the Hummer H1 has  a 130" wheelbase.  184.5" length and a 86.5 inch width. 

This EV Hummer is as wide as a HUMVEE and it looks to be at least the same length.  I guess they (gm) wanted to benchmark the HUMVEE.  

Edited by oldshurst442

5 hours ago, ykX said:

Looks great, but at $110k plus it is another toy for the rich.

I read...and FELT...the disdain in your post. LOL

So THAT inspired me to listen to: 

"Believe in all the good things
That money just can't buy
Then you won't get no bellyache
From eatin' humble pie
I believe in rags to riches
Your inheritance won't last
So take your gray poupon my friend
And shove it up your a$$"

Which then inspired me to view these scenes again.

youtube is great for these kinds of things!

And somehow, that HUMMER EV strangely makes me think that if Jay Gatsby was alive  in an EV world, he would be owning it...   

Edited by oldshurst442

2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

No way that number is correct.

I have no clue what 184.5" looks like.  I mean I do. I just cant visualize it without any other car reference and especially when I do NOT know by heart what other cars' lengths by heart. Wiki states it and  I monkey-ed it over here.  It looks like wiki's info is wrong. 

Ill try to look for another source. 

184, smaller mid size. Think Grand Cherokee from 15-20 years ago size (the WJ was 181 and the WK was 186ish. ). The Hummer H3 was 188. 

Or for a current GM reference, it sounds like it’s about the same length as the current Equinox but over a foot wider.   Though I wonder if that is body width or includes mirrors. 

Edited by Robert Hall

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I have no clue what 184.5" looks like. 

I saw a 1995 H1 test by Car & Driver- probably where the 184.5" number came from at Wiki.
Automobile magazine had a 2019 'Mil-Spec' re-freshed H1, and with basically no overhangs, they state 195.5".
There were a number of different military bodies, but the 'street' H1s had a bit more rear overhang- I'd guesstimate around 205".

'19 H1 : 

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 7.45.17 PM.png

'95 H1

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 7.47.03 PM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I read...and FELT...the disdain in your post. LOL

Personally, I would be actually interested in an efficient EV that I can use as a daily commuter and that will be capable to do at least light off-roading, and will be good in the snow.  I have a fun car for the summer and wouldn't mind something a little fun for the winter.  However, at this point of time there is no affordable EVs that can do that.  Doesn't look like anything like that will be on the market any time soon either. 

Edited by ykX

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

It's going to be really interesting to see what the EV and ICE market looks like in 5 - 10 years.  Not sure what I will be driving in 5 years, or 10 years.  

Personally, I don't expect huge changes in the next 5 years.  All the new EVs just coming out as 2021-2024 vehicles at this point.

Edited by ykX
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

It's going to be really interesting to see what the EV and ICE market looks like in 5 - 10 years.  Not sure what I will be driving in 5 years, or 10 years.  

I've made my peace with the idea that I've probably bought my last V8s ever, and the ones I own are going to have to stay with me. Any new ICE vehicles I get will probably be 6es boosted either with turbos or electric motors (or both if I shop at Volvo).

Albert will probably have one more vehicle with an ICE after the 300C but it will probably be a plug-in hybrid. He has said he will want to go back to an SUV next time, so it will probably be an Aviator plug-in or XC90 plug-in.  I'm going to keep the Avalanche forever, but it will eventually stop being a daily and I'll have an EV or Plug-in Hybrid for a daily. I like the Rivian the best right now for myself but that is years away (but I waited years for the Avalanche, 300C, and BMW Motorcycle... so once I have my heart set on something.....)

I'm making double payments on both, so the loans will be gone in under 3 years.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Personally, I don't expect huge changes in the next 5 years.

Agreed, the market share change is barely moving, plus a lot of the upcoming BE's are uber-expensive / super low volume. I think the picture won't be significantly different for at least 10 years (merely a slow creep).

• Agree 1

Some good info on the Hummer SUV.

https://www.motortrend.com/651d84cf-ac24-4c26-a0cf-fe8b6874e1e6

Wish GM had these on youtube, but this is a good detail on the SUV.

Some good Info GM is releasing on comparison.

image.png

image.png

Very Cool news, the Very FIRST Hummer EV Truck sold on March 27th at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction for $2.5 million. The auction house waved all fees, the full amount will go to the Tunnel to Towers Foundation that builds special need homes for first responders who were injured in 9/11.

Very cool indeed.

GMC HUMMER EV Edition 1 Raises $2.5 Million for Tunnel to Towers Foundation at Barrett-Jackson Auction

Additional info GM released today about the HUMMER EV SUV.

2024 GMC HUMMER EV SUV Offers New Tactical Tech

Additional highlights:

• Interdependent body/battery structure that supports a unique, double-stacked battery pack
  • An available three-motor Ultium Drive system that delivers up to 830 horsepower and up to 11,500 lb-ft of torque — enough power for super-fast 0-60-mph sprints in approximately 3.5 seconds with available Watts To Freedom5 (based on GM estimates)
  • New satellite-rendered trail mapping power allows drivers to discover and navigate off-road trails, while monitoring their vehicle’s energy consumption in real time, with community-based energy forecast through their myGMC app1
  • New available Power Station generator2 that enables 19.2kW AC charging, generator functionality (120v/25A/3kW) and ability to charge other EVs (240v/25A/6kW)
  • Great degree of customization via buttons on the center stack, and nearly 200 accessories will be available for HUMMER EV
  • Master of maneuverability, with nearly 9-inch less wheelbase than HUMMER EV Pickup, giving it expected best-in-class off-road proportions, with greater departure and breakover angles and a tighter turning circle of only 35.4 feet (10.8 meters) with 4 Wheel Steer
  • An immersive experience that puts the driver at the center of every moment, including customizable user experience features and an open-air driving experience, with the standard Infinity Roof with removable Sky Panels and I-Bar

image.png

I have to say I can actually see the Crab Walk mode and the Tight Turning radius as big advantages especially in the city.

10 hours ago, ykX said:

Personally, I would be actually interested in an efficient EV that I can use as a daily commuter and that will be capable to do at least light off-roading, and will be good in the snow.  I have a fun car for the summer and wouldn't mind something a little fun for the winter.  However, at this point of time there is no affordable EVs that can do that.  Doesn't look like anything like that will be on the market any time soon either. 

10 years is a long time.  

So is 5.  

Chevrolet will give us more EVs after the EUV.  VW too will have something else after the id4.   The economies of scale will kick in.  

Since Honda is gonna use GM's EV platform, battery and powertrain, we will see what Honda will do with that and how they will price them.  

So far, toys for the rich that seem to be worth a try. I agree.   Only but a few affordable, but not really desirable or even usable(for me at least and Im assuming for your needs too) 

8 hours ago, ykX said:

Personally, I don't expect huge changes in the next 5 years.  All the new EVs just coming out as 2021-2024 vehicles at this point.

There are quite a few models that Chevrolet has not really told us about.

Corvette it seems, is going EV SUV and EV 4 door sedan on us. And THAT is NEW for April 2021 speculation. True that these are gonna be richboy toys...but its also true that Chevrolet really hasnt mentioned anything about the next gen EVs on Ultium that ARE gonna be affordable.  The EUV is last gen tech...     

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, David said:

Very Cool news, the Very FIRST Hummer EV Truck sold on March 27th at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction for $2.5 million. The auction house waved all fees, the full amount will go to the Tunnel to Towers Foundation that builds special need homes for first responders who were injured in 9/11.

Very cool indeed.

GMC HUMMER EV Edition 1 Raises $2.5 Million for Tunnel to Towers Foundation at Barrett-Jackson Auction

Additional info GM released today about the HUMMER EV SUV.

2024 GMC HUMMER EV SUV Offers New Tactical Tech

Additional highlights:

• Interdependent body/battery structure that supports a unique, double-stacked battery pack
  • An available three-motor Ultium Drive system that delivers up to 830 horsepower and up to 11,500 lb-ft of torque — enough power for super-fast 0-60-mph sprints in approximately 3.5 seconds with available Watts To Freedom5 (based on GM estimates)
  • New satellite-rendered trail mapping power allows drivers to discover and navigate off-road trails, while monitoring their vehicle’s energy consumption in real time, with community-based energy forecast through their myGMC app1
  • New available Power Station generator2 that enables 19.2kW AC charging, generator functionality (120v/25A/3kW) and ability to charge other EVs (240v/25A/6kW)
  • Great degree of customization via buttons on the center stack, and nearly 200 accessories will be available for HUMMER EV
  • Master of maneuverability, with nearly 9-inch less wheelbase than HUMMER EV Pickup, giving it expected best-in-class off-road proportions, with greater departure and breakover angles and a tighter turning circle of only 35.4 feet (10.8 meters) with 4 Wheel Steer
  • An immersive experience that puts the driver at the center of every moment, including customizable user experience features and an open-air driving experience, with the standard Infinity Roof with removable Sky Panels and I-Bar

image.png

I have to say I can actually see the Crab Walk mode and the Tight Turning radius as big advantages especially in the city.

Crab walk mode IS awesome. But the EV Hummer is wiiiiiiide. If it be less wide, it wouldnt NEED crab walk in an urban setting...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Crab walk mode IS awesome. But the EV Hummer is wiiiiiiide. If it be less wide, it wouldnt NEED crab walk in an urban setting...

Have ya seen Detroits roads? Everyone Needs Crab Walk mode to just avoid the Honda Size Pot Holes! :P 

• Haha 1

Just now, David said:

Have ya seen Detroits roads? Everyone Needs Crab Walk mode to just avoid the Honda Size Pot Holes! :P 

There is only ONE place on planet Earth that potholes are worse than Detroit's.  THAT would be Montreal...

Crabwalk wont help us.  The EV Hummer wont help us.  We dont need military level off-roading vehicles. We need religious efforts (miracles) to avoid potholes.  We need religious interventions to survive them. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

There is only ONE place on planet Earth that potholes are worse than Detroit's.  THAT would be Montreal...

Crabwalk wont help us.  The EV Hummer wont help us.  We dont need military level off-roading vehicles. We need religious efforts (miracles) to avoid potholes.  We need religious interventions to survive them. 

Cleveland is pretty bad in places also... 

3 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Maybe all those Snowbelt cities should use something else other than the current road salt to de-ice their roads and spend more on proper road maintenance.

Its not the salt that causes potholes.  The salt just corrodies the cars.

The potholes are caused by the natural freezing and thawing process of the changing of the seasons. 

The earth moves beneath us, naturally.  Little cracks form in the pavements. Roads or sidewalks. The trucks and cars rolling on the roads speed up the cracking process. Especially heavy transport trucks. Water gets in between these cracks. Water then freezes and breaks the concrete into potholes. Thawing occurs sometime during the winter and/or spring. Water builds up. Freezes up again and further damage is done.  

Proper road maintenance is expensive.  Sometimes the budget is not directed towards proper maintenance if any at all.  Half-assed repair work is mostly made only patching up the mess only to have a BIGGER pothole the next season where the patchwork was made. With additional other potholes near the one that was supposed to be fixed. 

Couple that with corrupt paving companies that charge the city (Montreal) huuuuge amounts of money to pave new roads or patch work or repaving, but NOT using the PROPER concrete mixture engineered for freezing and thawing cycles and you get the mess  Montreal is in. 

But it aint the salt.

Its the corrupt system that Quebec employs that enables corrupt contractors to phoque the citizens by using sub-quality materials in the first place. 

Its the lack of a proper maintenance routine. 

And sometimes its the lack of funding.  

• Agree 3

EDIT:

CORRECTION:

@riviera74

I re-read what you wanted to say. I misrepresented your words. You said that you wanted municipalities and state/provincial governments to spend LESS money on salt de-icing the roads for the monies spent on PROPER road maintenance.  As where I initially understood that you meant that salt causes the bad stuff to happen on the roads.  I finally understood what you meant...

However, REGARDLESS where the money (savings) comes from...  my statements dont change in that 

Its the corrupt system that Quebec employs that enables corrupt contractors to phoque the citizens by using sub-quality materials in the first place. 

Its the lack of a proper maintenance routine. 

And sometimes its the lack of funding because road work new or old is expensive and (Quebec) has other, projects in mind where monies were and are spent. Uselessly or out of more important issues.   Like separation from Canada(not anymore), COVID relief funds and the like.  

But Id like to say that proper roads are in the  NECESSARY category.   But what do I know...    

Worthy of our current discussion on pot holes.

Pothole Prevention - Preventing Potholes Before they Happen (pavementpreservation.org)

Seems many companies know how to fix and prevent the ugly pot holes, but when will the politicians pay for it.

What Causes POTHOLES during Winter & How to Prevent the “Hole” Thing? (maininfrastructure.com)

Interesting research by the swiss on roads that will not create pot holes.

Researchers Are Developing a New Asphalt That Can Repair Cracks Itself (businessinsider.com)

Pretty much use Heavy tar from Canada Tar sands and coat all the roads it would seem. :P 

Cost Of Preventing And Fixing Potholes In 2020 | Limitless Paving & Concrete (limitlesspavingandconcrete.com)

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2021 at 6:10 PM, Robert Hall said:

Don’t think I’ve ever seen ‘wheel torque’ as a spec or comparison point before.  

Me neither, but it sounds akin to 'wheel HP'. I say 'sounds' because it's obviously not... but I think the reason it's there is to give a comparison to BE numbers. IC has numerous TRQ- multiplying gears... and the chart above is eye-opening... and seems to dispel the lofty 'new' numbers (like the Hummer EV's 11,500).
What' REALLY surprising is that the chart (apparently) comes from GM and it really shows what appears to be a huge disadvantage in going BE (for those folk who groove on spec sheets). GM's own DuraMax has 37,000 TRQ vs. Hummer's paltry 11,500?

Seems to be exciting times! ;)

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Me neither, but it sounds akin to 'wheel HP'. I say 'sounds' because it's obviously not... but I think the reason it's there is to give a comparison to BE numbers. IC has numerous TRQ- multiplying gears... and the chart above is eye-opening... and seems to dispel the lofty 'new' numbers (like the Hummer EV's 11,500).
What' REALLY surprising is that the chart (apparently) comes from GM and it really shows what appears to be a huge disadvantage in going BE (for those folk who groove on spec sheets). GM's own DuraMax has 37,000 TRQ vs. Hummer's paltry 11,500?

Seems to be exciting times! ;)

Gotta start somewhere considering how paltry ICE torque was in the early 1900's. :P 

Seems the Ford Mach-E is moving off the lots showing sales are on pace with early estimates. Q1 Ford reported 6,614 Mach-E sold keeping them on track for 25,000 to 30,000 sales in 2021. Ford reported the Mach-E is currently averaging only 7 days on the dealer lots. 70% is conquest sales from competitors. 

Ford Mustang Mach-E moving quickly off dealer lots, sales on pace with early estimates (greencarreports.com)

Mercedes-Benz has rolled out their platform for the new electric Sprinter line of vans, trucks, Ambulances, eGrocery transporter. Consistent implementation of the electric strategy of Mercedes-Benz Vans: Next generation eSprinter to be built at three plants (mbusa.com)

image.png

This new generation of Sprinter is being focused on three specific markets at first, Europe, USA and Canada.

In additional news leading up to the April 15 reveal of the New EQS EV for the Global market, Mercedes-Benz has shown off the interior of the new luxury EQS sedan.  The EQS: Design for All the Senses (mbusa.com)

Full Details, additional photo's and videos at the link above. They also released details of the power train options in RWD or AWD with the power train developing up to 516 hp / 611 lb-ft of torque, 0-62 of 4.3 seconds and top speed of 130 mph with a 107.8 kWH battery pack.

image.png

• Agree 1

Seems Panasonic is betting on being able to produce the new Beer Can size Battery cell for Tesla and other auto companies as the 4680 cell would only require about 500 cells in a battery pack compared to the current 4,000 to 8,000 cells in existing battery packs. This would reduce the complexity of the battery pack, and in essence help to usher in the $25,000 EV and below according to Panasonic.

Panasonic Bets on Tesla ‘Beer Can’ Battery to Unlock $25,000 EVs (msn.com)

Seems South Korea Battery Giant Samsung is the official battery supplier to Rivian with their Li-Ion SDI battery cells.

image.png

At the start the R1T will ship with the standard 135 kWH battery pack good for 300 plus miles. Early 2022 the Max pack 180 kWH battery pack for 400 miles as well as the lite pack of 105 kWH battery pack will join the options. Currently Rivian is beating all rivals with the best battery warranty of 8yrs or 175,000 miles which ever comes first. To quote Rivian on their Warranty for their auto's:

What is the warranty coverage on a new Rivian?

New Vehicle Limited Warranty is included on all new R1S and R1T vehicles purchased from Rivian.

New Vehicle Limited Warranties include:

• Comprehensive: The cost of all parts and labor necessary for any defective materials are covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first

• Battery Pack: Coverage includes all components inside the high-voltage battery and 70% or more of the battery capacity for 8 years or 175,000 miles, whichever comes first

• Drivetrain: Coverage includes the drivetrain and components for 8 years or 175,000 miles, whichever comes first

• Corrosion (Perforation): Body panels that are perforated by corrosion will be covered for 8 years with unlimited miles

A full list of warranty coverage will be located in the Warranty Guide prior to production vehicles being available for purchase.

What is the warranty coverage on a new Rivian? - Support Center - Rivian

Charged EVs | Samsung SDI to be Rivian’s battery cell supplier - Charged EVs

I have to say that the OEMs in Detroit as well as Tesla need to pay attention as Rivian is offering a far superior auto warranty over any of them.

According to CHARGED EV Mag web site, Taiga Motors is building a new assembly plant in Quebec for all it's off-road EVs from Snow mobiles to Personal Watercraft.

image.png

Charged EVs | Taiga Motors to build new assembly facility for its off-road EVs in Québec - Charged EVs

Taiga - Electric Snowmobiles and PWCs (taigamotors.ca)

Seems Hyundai is paying attention to Toyota Hybrid line as the 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid seems to hit all the right notes.

First drive review: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid superiority extends beyond gas mileage (greencarreports.com)