BMW News: BMW Teases the 2-series Grand Coupe

Drew Dowdell

It will be a long wait till we see the final product,  but BMW has released a teaser picture of their upcoming 2-Series Gran Coupe 4-door sedan due to be released at the LA Auto Show later this year.  This car will compete with the Mercedes-Benz CLA and Audi A3 compact front wheel drive sedans.  The BMW  2-series Gran Coupe will be running with front wheel drive as well.  Under the hood expect a 2 liter turbo charged engine transversely mounted as in the BMW X2. In the X2, the motor produces 228 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque running through an 8-speed automatic. Don't expect a manual gearbox.  All-wheel drive is a possibility and may even be standard in U.S. bound models. 

Some performance variants will be available as well. The teaser picture reportedly shows the M Performance M235i which is rumored to have 300 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque. 

We will likely have a wait until November to see the full product. Sales are expected to start in Spring of 2020.

Related:

View full article

Well, I don't like their other "Gran Coupes". I can't imagine shorter proportions are going to make this look good, look at Escala -> CT5.

The only one of BMW's Gran Coupes or Gran Turismos I liked the looks of was the 6 series Gran Coupe..was a beautiful car, IMO. 

• Agree 1

It took me awhile to warm up to the 6 Series Grand Coupe, partly because I did not want to admit that I could like a BMW. But in the end, I put all that bias aside, and saw it for what it truly was...a beautiful car. 

The 4 Series Grand Coupe is also nice. Its sleek.  But one has to like that sorta thing in the first place (sloping, fastback, coupe styling on sedans) to truly enjoy the looks of it.

But, that style, has been over done by many brands over the years, I must admit.  That look has become generic. There was a time when it wasnt generic though.

I dont understand one thing though.

Why are designers afraid to go back to sleek designs, but with a trunk?

Why must a fast-back look to a sedan automatically mean that there is not trunk lid? ( I like that  modern fastback look, but cars in the 1990s did that sleek look better IMO)

Image result for 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix

Image result for 1997 Chrysler 300m side profile

Image result for olds aurora side profile

Image result for 2000 Pontiac grand am side profile

Or C pillar designs that are not copied from one another?

Related image

I understand high belt lines are the culprit and the reason for those maybe for safety regulations...beams inside the doors,  thicker A-Pillars for crumple zones to protect the cabin and the like...

But that still does not change the fact that sleekness does not always mean no trunk lid, and the complete lack individuality concerning the shape of the windows back and front...

All the cars I posted, (and there are many more), they all have a UNIQUE design to ALL the window area, front and back of the car that blends in beautifully with the roofline of the car, the doors and the side profile of the car...

If you analyze the Olds Aurora with the Chrysler 300M, you would realize that the greenhouse, the roofline, the slopes, the windows the way they flow, the design of the profiles, are very very similar between the two....yet very very very different...

I just dont get it with today's cars and CUVs/SUVs...

I wouldnt be THAT much against CUVs had they not all looked the same...

• Agree 1

I love it in black.  Matte Black being the favorite. Preferably in 'M" guise of course. But it looks good in any colour, to my eyes at least!   Me too, the 4dr over the 2dr 

Related image

Related image

But the 2dr is sexy too.

Related image

Related image

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

Oh good, because there aren’t enough 4 door coupes on the market.  What BMW should do next is make Grand Saloon versions of all their 2 door coupes .

Naw, a Shooting Brake 2 door Gran is what they should do. :P 

• Agree 1