Electric Dragster, Garlits...

9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Very cool, we Know a few here will down vote it and bash it for how quiet it is, but the speed and torque is amazing.

Indeed....

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Indeed....

This is also how technology will change and keep racing alive as complexity goes away as simplification takes over for a level playing field.

Hopefully we see more young people who can see the fun of racing with the lower cost of electric motors while still being safe enter into the sport.

Garlits? 

THE Don Garlits?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Garlits

an American race car driver and automotive engineer. He is considered the father of drag racing. He is known as "Big Daddy" to drag racing fans around the world. Always a pioneer in the field of drag racing, he perfected the rear-engine Top Fuel dragster, an innovation motivated by the loss of part of his foot in a dragster accident. This design was notably safer since it put most of the fuel processing and rotating parts of the dragster behind the driver. The driver was placed in front of nearly all the mechanical components, thus protecting the driver and allowing him to activate a variety of safety equipment in the event of catastrophic mechanical failure or a fire. Garlits was an early promoter of the full-body, fire-resistant Nomex driving suit, complete with socks, gloves, and balaclava.

He said in that video that we know the planet is going green.  He also said a fool would realize top fuel drag and funny car  in the present configuration cant go on.  50-60 thousand dollars to make one run.  It may be exciting to watch, but it aint sustainable. 

And THE Don Garlits is promoting electrics? In 2014?  

Wow! 

And I thought the the only way to do a drag race was with gasoline or rocket fuel...

But I just realized....even if I havent gone to a drag strip in like 25 years and only twice in my life at that...

I realized that although the sounds are great...the thrill aint about the sounds...

Its actually the thrill of the fight...er....race itself...to see who crossed the line first or fastest...

When we were young, we dragged raced with pods that had gravity as fuel. And the only sound we heard from our racing pods was squeeky wheels if we forgot to oil them up...

Bet the EV haterz forgot about that, huh?

Image result for Go kart downhill racing

Oh well...if electric drag racing is good enough for Don Garlits, then EV drag racing is good enough for me!!! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

• He looks pretty good for 83 (as of 2014).

the speed and torque is amazing.

This is NOT a bash, but look at the actual fact of what you said, dave. Garlits was a Top Fuel driver, the fastest of the fast. The best run here of an EV 'top fuel' dragster was 184. Funny cars & Top Fuel have gone 330+.

This vehicle -as is-, is neither amazing, fast, or exciting to watch. Top Fuel isn't exciting because it's nitro-powered, its exciting because it's going over 300.

I'm sure EV dragsters will get faster, but just like EV car sales- they have a LONG way to go.
And while I'm not particularly a fan of professional drag racing I've been to a Summernationals, and the noise was the highlight/takeaway of the event for me.

Edited by balthazar

Ive been to several Monster Truck events at our Big O. Ex-home of my beloved Expos, and sure, the sounds are intoxicating. 

Im sure top fuel and funny car drag racers make similar loud noises as I never saw top fuel or funny cars racing. 

I dont doubt anybody for their love for loud pistons firing all their cylinders. In fact, I remember visiting my dad's work several times as a young kid, Canadair, and I remember listening to those CL-215 water bombers start-up and I remember enjoying those sounds too. 

And the smells. I love the smell of gasoline. I used to remember the old muscles cars driving past me as a youngster and I used to love the smell of leaded gasoline passing me by.  

I do not know how fast an electric motor could turn (in a car). I do not know how much power an electric motor could achieve (in a car), but I do know that a funny car/top fuel racer  can produce easily 7000 horsepower and just as much ft/lbs of torque. 

I know I said rocket fuel in the post above, I was exaggerating, but what they use as fuel and how much power these things make...well...another exaggeration, well, with that type of combustion and those power numbers, we could go to the moon with funny cars and top fuel racers.

Not an exaggeration, but I heard somewhere that they do accelerate like a rocket leaving our airspace. THAT is awesome.

I agree, that EVs will get there someday. All the EVs need is the  time and the billions of dollars invested in perfecting the powertrains just like their petrol fueled cousins did for the last 50-60 years...100 years. 

Edited by oldshurst442

"They say" top fuel/funny cars develop 10,000 HP, but the actuality as I've heard it is that there's no dyno that can measure above that, so it's an estimate.
I've also been to a monster truck event, and believe me- there is no comparison. At the top NHRA events, you can feel your skeleton vibrating inside your flesh.

• Agree 1

10 000 plus horsepower.  WOW! 

Unfortunately, NHRA does not sponsor anything in and around Montreal anymore.  

We do have the Formula One race.

We did have the E-Formule One race. 1 year and done.  But the Monster Trucks come each and every year!!!  Sometimes twice a year. 

I wish our new mayor did not cancel the E-Formula Race. But the race was on our streets as the race sponsors wanted it that way and many people wanting to live...and breathe on our summer streets, just plainly got annoyed at the whole thing. Plus it was expensive so the old mayor lost his election because of that race.  At least our new mayor, she is a she, quite cute too, at least she wants to extend our subway system AND she also wants our Expos back, like the previous mayor, so its all up to the Tampa Bay Rays to decide if they are going to build a new stadium or not. Because if not, the Expos are back in Montreal within 2-3 years. Yes..Rays will be moving to Montreal. 2 weeks ago, the future owners of the Expos just secured land to build a stadium in the dowtown core. 

If not the Tampa Bay Rays, then when MLB will expand. That will be in the next 5-10 years. 

Anyway...back to EV drag racing. 

Edited by oldshurst442

Based on statistics we have the following:

Top Fuel run record of 339.87 MPH

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/motor-sports/nhra-racer-robert-hight-sets-speed-mark-with-339-mph-run/

Top Fuel goes 0 to 100 mph in .8 seconds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Fuel

Which is faster, top fuel or funny cars? Winner is Top Fuel.

https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2006/DavisChen.shtml

Torque versus Horsepower? Top Fuel has broken the barrier with the top car that hit 339.87 mph had 10,000 plus HP and over 7,400 lb-ft of torque.

http://sip-trunking.tmcnet.com/news/2014/08/02/7952726.htm

How much fuel does a Top Fuel dragster burn in a run? Warmup, burnout, staging and the quarter-mile run, on average 22.75 US gallons or 86.1 liters of fuel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Fuel

Current manufacture built fastest 1/4 mile run? Dodge Challenger SRT Demon, 2018 9.65 @ 140mph

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_cars_by_acceleration

Fastest rocket car was a 3.58 sec 1/4 mile run @ 386 mph by Vanishing Point Funny Car 1984.

Fastest electric car to date? Nov 2017 Tesla Roadster Concept with 200 kWh battery pack, 0-60 in 1.9 sec at over 250 mph, scheduled for on sale in 2020 at $200,000.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-roadster-goes-0-60-mph-less-than-2-seconds-base-version-2017-11

Tesla P100D 0-60 in 2.5 seconds verified at a drag strip in 2016. 0 to 100 in 6.52 seconds and 1/4 mile in 10.78 seconds @ 124.5 mph.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1106320_how-fast-is-a-tesla-model-s-p100d-how-about-0-to-60-in-2-5-seconds

Fastest Electric Dragster, verified on August 3rd 2017 has 5,000HP and 17,000 lb-ft of Torque from ZERO. They plan to have dragsters by 2020 at 380 MPH and have acknowledged that they can hit the limits of rubber tires which is 497 mph or 800 km/h.

https://newatlas.com/top-ev-electric-drag-racing-top-fuel/50741/

Interesting is that world wide, dragracing has a limit of top speed of 328.8 MPH according to the NDRA, only place left with no limit top speed is Australia where they are pushing to hit 400 mph in a 1/4 mile with the 10,000 HP motors.

The goal of the Australia National Electric Drag Racing Association is to beat every record set by ICE within the next couple years. Electric drag racing is just as dangerous as ICE drag racing.

To Quote the NEDRA:  Its 1,000-volt, 5,000-odd horsepower motor might fall short of the peak power figures of the Top Fuel cars, but it'll generate more than 17,000 pound-feet (23,049 Nm) of torque from zero RPM, has more "power strokes" per revolution, and should use its muscle in a far more controllable way than the combustion cars.

We're talking about enough potential power, mounted within a foot behind my head, to run a whole suburb of houses with lights and appliances switched on. The electro-chemical energy density of the battery pack is equivalent to more than 18 kilos of TNT. If that's to short circuit and dissipate all the energy in the power pack, you're dealing with 18 kilos of TNT essentially, plus high speed and stability at those high speed you're pressing the boundary of.

Top EV Racing's Arc'd Up dragster, featuring bright information readouts down the side