Toyota hates me

haypops

Scion also is creating a stripped-down "tC Spec" edition at a cut-rate price, going on sale this summer. Templin's message to dealers: Only sell this car to tuner kids who were going to rip out the seats, change the wheels and put in scissor doors anyway.

Says Templin, "I don't want to see any tCs with steel wheels driving around."Maturing buyers

full article here

Scion is bringing out a new "tuner model" for the tc. It will cost $1400 less than the normal model. It will feature steel wheels, the sunroof won't open, exterior colors will be limited to 4, cheap steering wheel and interior, etc. It is supposed to appeal to kids who seriously want to coustomize them. Obviously it will also appeal to cheap skates like me. Scion doesn't want that to happen. Perhaps I should buy one, get some plaid bermuda shorts, black support socks, and sandals. At 60 years old, 300 pounds and no hair, I will single handidly kill their coolness. :lol2:

A total stripper model for only fourteen hundreds bucks less??? Now it's confirmed that Toyota knows we're stupid. There's no way someone would buy that if they didn't plan on changing it all anyway.......and even then, $1400 is a drop in the bucket of the cost of redoing everything.

A total stripper model for only fourteen hundreds bucks less???  Now it's confirmed that Toyota knows we're stupid.  There's no way someone would buy that if they didn't plan on changing it all anyway.......and even then, $1400 is a drop in the bucket of the cost of redoing everything.

It's still a good way of competing with the Civic though - If I'm not mistaken, the tC is already cheaper than a Civic, and this will widen the price gap for those interested in mods.

Wasn't Dodge talking about doing something like this with the Razor when they were considering production?

A total stripper model for only fourteen hundreds bucks less???  Now it's confirmed that Toyota knows we're stupid.  There's no way someone would buy that if they didn't plan on changing it all anyway.......and even then, $1400 is a drop in the bucket of the cost of redoing everything.

IMO, the people who spend all that money to mod their cars are just as stupid.

.  Maybe Scion can do some co-branding with Ensure or Depends.

I somewhat resent that last comment. Those unpleasant ravages of time will come soon enough with out my online acquaintainces rushing me. My first automotive experinece was a new '49 Pontiac fastback with manual transmission and 8 cylinder engine and that's pretty cool. :CG_all:

I somewhat resent that last comment. Those unpleasant ravages of time will come soon enough with out my online acquaintainces rushing me.  My first automotive experinece was a new '49 Pontiac fastback with manual transmission and 8 cylinder engine and that's pretty cool. :CG_all:

Sorry, I didn't intend that comment to be directed at you personally. The article mentioned Red Bull, which seems a bit off the mark based upon observing the people I see driving Scions. Most appear to be the same buyers who loved their Tercels and Echos. Now the Toyota Yaris clouds the entry-level message.

To me, this whole "youth brand" thing is crap. Mini seems to be a more successful attempt, yet they don't appear so focused on age.

Guest YellowJacket894

Haypops, if you manage to kick Scion down a notch, you'll be the coolest senor citizen period. No questions asked. :D

I hate Toyota but this is a brilliant move... I wish

DOdge did this with the CHarger can called it a

Road Runner.

Haypops:

Get a "Presidential {@}" Carige Top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Sorry, I didn't intend that comment to be directed at you personally.  The article mentioned Red Bull, which seems a bit off the mark based upon observing the people I see driving Scions.  Most appear to be the same buyers who loved their Tercels and Echos.  Now the Toyota Yaris clouds the entry-level message.

Day by day we're seeing more people going to four cylinders," said Criscuolo. "There's a 60-day wait for the new Yaris small car. I never thought the Yaris would be taking off like this. I thought it would be incremental business, not a core car."

scroll to the bottom for the actual reference

My point was that Scion is Toyota's entry-level brand. Previously, only the Corolla might overlap with the Scion models. Now, the Yaris undercuts the Scions.

Toyotas:

- Yaris $11 - $13k

- Corolla $14k

Scions:

- xA $13k

- xB $15k

- tC $16k

So, why spend the money to launch a whole new brand that is still sharing floorspace with other Toyotas? And while the tC is a nice appliance, it's no Celica. Given it appears Toyota's core buyers are now buying Scions these cars could just as easily have carried the Toyota badge and sold just fine.

Mini vs. BMW is very different than Toyota vs. Scion.

Edited by BigPontiac