Chevrolet News:Chevrolet Plans A Two-Seat Bolt

NHTSA document filings are always interesting as they give us a possible look into the future into an automaker's lineup. Case in point, Jalopnik reports recent filings by GM list a model called the Chevrolet Bolt Incomplete. This is listed alongside commercial models like the Cadillac XTS. A GM representative confirms this will be going into production and said, "This is a new way for fleet customers to leverage the Bolt EV’s incredible range.” No other details were given by the representative.

But the folks at ChevyBolt.org were able to uncover a fleet order guide listing a few more details on the Bolt Incomplete.

• The rear seats will be removed along with the floor mats and air bags to make for a small cargo area
  • Will not be available with either the Comfort and Convenience or Driver Confidence Packages to help with pricing
  • 16-inch steel wheels wrapped in all-season rubber will be standard
  • Production will take place at Orion Assembly before being shipped off to Knapheide Truck Equipment in Flint for the build out. It will then return to Orion to be sent out.

This could be the perfect vehicle for those doing local deliveries such as auto part stores.

Source: Jalopnik, ChevyBolt.org, GM Fleet Order Guide

View full article

They should be pitching some version of this to the Post Office for the new delivery vehicle.  I was thinking a Transit Connect would be good since it comes in right hand drive and has the cargo space.  But the Bolt could be even better because I doubt any postal route is over 100 miles, let alone 200, and the vehicles can charge at night.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I think the Bolt is too small cargo-wise for postal service or package courier duty.

Maybe, but the current postal truck is only 175 inches long, it is taller than a Bolt though.  Perhaps GM could rebody the Bolt, or if had been a crossover in the first place, they could have had a vehicle that worked.  But I know the post office is already pretty deep in the process to replace the current Iron Duke 4-cylinder powered truck.

...6 inches wider & 21-inches taller.

But the USPS has released specs a few years ago of what they're looking for in a replacement, and it's much LARGER than what they have now; 85-in wide, 230-in long and 106-in in height. Current mail trucks were based on the S-10 chassis, but those specs are too great for that tier of truck, nevermind a Bolt-esque vehicle.

Frankly, I don't see such a hulking postal vehicle being necc, as more & more mailing goes electronic... tho I'm also surprised the package overflow has shippers contracting with USPS trucks for Sunday deliveries.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, balthazar said:

...6 inches wider & 21-inches taller.

But the USPS has released specs a few years ago of what they're looking for in a replacement, and it's much LARGER than what they have now; 85-in wide, 230-in long and 106-in in height. Current mail trucks were based on the S-10 chassis, but those specs are too great for that tier of truck, nevermind a Bolt-esque vehicle.

Frankly, I don't see such a hulking postal vehicle being necc, as more & more mailing goes electronic... tho I'm also surprised the package overflow has shippers contracting with USPS trucks for Sunday deliveries.

Amazon has a huge long term contract for delivery of Amazon Prime packages. The postal service needs the bigger auto's as while mail delivery has reduced greatly, their package delivery service has jumped to where the current auto's are no longer sufficient. 

• Agree 2

dfelt, maybe you can get yourself a Bolt Incomplete and put the front seat where the rear seat would normally go.  Voila, problem solved... except for that pesky white dash trim.  Oh yeah, I forgot that was a total dealbreaker.  Nvrmnd.

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

dfelt, maybe you can get yourself a Bolt Incomplete and put the front seat where the rear seat would normally go.  Voila, problem solved... except for that pesky white dash trim.  Oh yeah, I forgot that was a total dealbreaker.  Nvrmnd.

Proving how closed minded you are, the interior space was never an issue for me, plenty in the front and back. The wife could not accept the white accent V in the dash. As such we wait for other EV options. 

Nice try but then you knew that and your comment fails.

There's gotta be a lot of demand for a 2-seat EV right now.. :palm:

On 3/8/2018 at 10:30 PM, balthazar said:

Frankly, I don't see such a hulking postal vehicle being necc, as more & more mailing goes electronic...

Probably because there is more and more internet ordering instead of people going to stores. So while small mail is probably down(because what you said) larger packages is probably up a lot over the past 10-15 years. Probably way more than they were prepared for.

On 3/11/2018 at 5:58 PM, ocnblu said:

It was never an issue for him because it is an EV but if it had a Mercedes logo on the front it would have immediately shrunk in size and he never would have fit a single leg in it. 

• Haha 1