Updated: 3:10 pm est with additional pictures

Honda released a teaser image today, ahead of the 2018 North American International Auto Show, of a prototype of the forthcoming Honda Insight. 

This will mark the third time Honda uses the Insight name.  The original Insight was the first hybrid offered in the US.  A small two-seater, the Insight never caught hold.  The second time around, Honda went for a Prius-shaped compact hatchback and the CR-Z sporty hatchback hybrid, still customers stayed away.

The new teaser image reveals little, beyond the new Insight's shape.  The prototype shares a profile now more closely related to the Civic sedan, though perhaps a bit more swoopy in the rear. 

The new Insight will be a five passenger sedan positioned above the Civic in the lineup.  We expect the Insight to be powered by the same hybrid system as the larger Accord Hybrid.

The Honda Insight Prototype will be revealed on January 15th.

Click here to follow all 2018 Detroit Auto Show News.

Click here to follow Honda News.

View full article

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Be interesting, I think this is more desirable than their past versions.

That is an amazingly low bar to set...

23 minutes ago, William Maley said:

OMG! IT HAS A VOLUME KNOB!

How the eff can you look at the photographs long enough to determine this...?

1 hour ago, frogger said:

Basically a high end Civic Hybrid.  Looks like they they polished some of the polarizing elements of the Civic.  What a next gen "Acura ILX" might have been...

2019-honda-insight-prototype_100637298_mimage.png.4e7ebbfcd61fddd9f76a8e17afdb4c51.png

Given Honda battery technology, quite literally a no go for me...Civic hybrid had horrible battery issues.

• Haha 1

Guest garnermike

I like the look. BTW, I own a 2010 Insight---ya know, the car that auto media has loved to hate since its introduction. Beyond it being a little cramped seating-wise for a six-footer like me (both front and back), it's been a great car. 100,000+ miles, no mechanical or battery issues ever, and consistently getting 45mpg in mixed driving. 

22 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Generic, forgettable styling.  Build an EV, and put this to rest.  The original Insight could hit 70 mpg, I bet this new one can't with 15 year newer battery tech. 

The original Insight could only hold 2 people and a small overnight bag.  That comparison is irrelevant. 

12 hours ago, FAPTurbo said:

it is funny that the first insight was so polarizing in appearance, and the first prius was relatively conservative, and now the roles have swapped 

Finally the Prius is a decent driving car but then they had to go style it while on crack.