Reality Garage: Daily Driver

ykX

So few latest discussions gave me an idea for the following Dream/Reality garage:

Pick the following cars that you would buy with YOUR own money if you were buying in the segment to be your daily driver:

1. compact car (sedan/hatch/wagon)

2. compact CUV/SUV

3. mid-size car

4. mid-size CUV/SUV

5. large car

6. large CUV/SUV

Well I wouldn't pay the $$ needed for a new large car/SUV that I would want to drive daily..
But these are my picks based on what I feel comfortable paying for given other financial obligations and goals/investments I have, I'm not one to spend more than 20% of family gross annual income on a car so I'm cheaping out on the more expensive classes to adhere to that.

1. VW Golf GTI
2. Honda CRV EX-L
3. Mazda 6 GT
4. Ford Edge SEL AWD w/Cold Weather Package and SYNC3
5. Chevy Impala 1LT 3.6 w/tech package
6. Nissan Pathfinder SV AWD V6.

• Agree 1

Hmmm...within my budget, I'd go for:

1 VW Golf Sportwagen

2. Jeep Compass Limited

3. Ford Fusion SE

4. Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited  

5. Chrysler 300C, Dodge Charger R/T or Dodge Challenger R/T

6. Chevy Tahoe LT

5 hours ago, ykX said:

So few latest discussions gave me an idea for the following Dream/Reality garage:

Pick the following cars that you would buy with YOUR own money if you were buying in the segment to be your daily driver:

2. compact CUV/SUV

3. mid-size car

4. mid-size CUV/SUV

5. large car

6. large CUV/SUV

Fun!!

Just a quick question- Will we have one of each of these, or will our selection for each respective class be our only DD??

In other words, will I have all my choices together, or each one on it's own??

11 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Fun!!

Just a quick question- Will we have one of each of these, or will our selection for each respective class be our only DD??

In other words, will I have all my choices together, or each one on it's own??

The way I understood it was to think of each category as your only DD...so you favorite choice in each category. 

• Thanks 1

Compact 

Mazda 3... Assuming you wanted a non sporty DD...for a sport DD GTI no questions asked.  Civic, Cruze, Imprezza would all be strong runners up.  Were it allowed to be a little pricey...Golf R or Golf Alltrack.

Compact SUV, Subaru Forester, HR V would be strong runner up. 

Midsize car, Chevy Malibu Premium with the 2.0 With Mazda 6 very strong runner up.

Large Car, Charger R/T... Impala 3.6 strong runner up.

Midsize SUV, Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Are there any other midsize SUV as runner up in my book...no, nothing close.

Large SUV

Going to cheat and go with the sister vehicle to the GC, Dodge Durango. Yes, it is cheating...do I care...no, I really don't care...

Only thing that could be a runner up IMHO would be a Jaguar F pace if I had a crap ton of money.

If I was gonna be trading in my 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD today, this is what Id be buying in these categories

2017 Cadillac ATS with either the 2.0T or the 3.6 V6. But realistically, I would NEVER consider this segment nor this car. Segment is too small for my tastes and the ATS is RWD and I wont be doing RWD in Quebec. Sure there is AWD but AWD defeats the purpose of buying a RWD biased car....I might as well just buy a FWD  car....yes I own a AWD  car....but I bought the Acura TL SH-AWD for the naturally aspirated 300 plus horse V6, not for the AWD. That 300 plus horse 3.7 liter V6 only came with the top dog SH-AWD trim level...plus the car is FWD anyway, I dont lose any sleep over having a heavy AWD system wreck that sweet RWD driving dynamics...

2017-Cadillac-ATS-20T-front-three-quarte

3. mid-size car

Ford Fusion Sport

maxresdefault.jpg

Or Buick Regal (especially if a GS is available)

2018-Buick-Regal-Sportback-front-three-q

2018 Audi A6 that is not out yet and only if I could get one for $50 000-52 000 CDN and not a dime more

2018-Audi-A6-exterior-grille.jpg

5. large car

maxresdefault.jpg

Buick Lacrosse

2018-buick-lacrosse_100608974_m.jpg

No CUVs or SUVs for me as I would never ever own one....

Edited by oldshurst442

For a dairyer driver with my own money, I'd just need the mid-size sedan category, and I would look for another E550 or an E63 with the 5.5 liter turbo V8 as it gets 1 mpg better than my current 5.5 liter V8 and adds all wheel drive.   So it would actually be more practical than what I drive now.  

I don't like SUVs, and I live about 15 minutes outside of downtown Pittsburgh so I don't have a place to go off road.  Otherwise a used G-wagen could be interesting.  Or I always liked the 90s Discovery's with the little glass windows up in the roof, those are probably like $2,500 now, assuming you can find one that runs, and would be fun to take off road and beat on.

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

1- My GTI

large.IMG_20170707_204541067.jpg

2. New E Pace

2018-Jaguar-E-Pace-front-three-quarter-i

3. Malibu Premier

dsc_0426.jpg

4. Touareg Wolfsburg

volkswagen-touareg-wolfsburg-edition-car

5. Avalon Limited

maxresdefault.jpg

6. Tough, either a Durango Hemi or Atlas SLE Premium

A lot to like on your list...!

• 4 weeks later...

For the moment, I'm just going to post one vehicle as my current dream car as a daily driver. (Honda is broken down again)

received_1308427375952976.jpeg

2018 Sierra SLT with the 5.3 and 8 speed. I'd have the vinyl wrap thing done to put the stripe down the side.  I've been having a hard time being away from family so much lately and struggling with other things in my life. I've wanted a truck for years now and I thought "why not get one that looks like my dad's?"

Beyond the Ford v. GMC difference. I think it's a nice homage and a handsome look in its own right. He's had this paint scheme on this trucks since 1983.

received_10155363712586413.jpeg

You can see it behind the model-a.

Much thanks to dodgefan for the Photoshop job

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

For the moment, I'm just going to post one vehicle as my current dream car as a daily driver. (Honda is broken down again)

2018 Sierra SLT with the 5.3 and 8 speed. I'd have the vinyl wrap thing done to put the stripe down the side.  I've been having a hard time being away from family so much lately and struggling with other things in my life. I've wanted a truck for years now and I thought "why not get one that looks like my dad's?"

Beyond the Ford v. GMC difference. I think it's a nice homage and a handsome look in its own right. He's had this paint scheme on this trucks since 1983.

I tried to convince the Mgr of the Chevy store I worked at so hard to let me take an LT or LTZ with chrome bumpers and do a contrasting middle section color like the ones back in the 80's and 90's. I think it looks great!! But only with chrome bumpers, like a proper truck.

On a side note, your dad's truck is a Ford, you can't go buying a GM.  :P

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Very cool Model A and his Ford Truck, Love your GMC version! that just Rocks! :metal:

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I tried to convince the Mgr of the Chevy store I worked at so hard to let me take an LT or LTZ with chrome bumpers and do a contrasting middle section color like the ones back in the 80's and 90's. I think it looks great!! But only with chrome bumpers, like a proper truck.

On a side note, your dad's truck is a Ford, you can't go buying a GM.  :P

The Ford v. GM dispute has been going on between us since I was 3 years old. We've agreed to disagree on that.

I fairness, I did price out an F150, but I refuse to go Ecoboost, so getting into a 5.0 4x4 is pricey, roughly equal to a 6.3 in the GMC.

I've asked dodgefan to made me a red w/black stripes 2018 F150 for comparison.

10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The Ford v. GM dispute has been going on between us since I was 3 years old. We've agreed to disagree on that.

I fairness, I did price out an F150, but I refuse to go Ecoboost, so getting into a 5.0 4x4 is pricey, roughly equal to a 6.3 in the GMC.

I've asked dodgefan to made me a red w/black stripes 2018 F150 for comparison.

GMC Wins! :P The look of the Ford is just not good IMHO. That GMC Rocks :metal: 

I also agree with you, not a fan of the Ecoboost V6.