2010 G6 Production

SAmadei

Looking through the old sales tickers, I was unable to determine a breakout of 2010 vs 2009 G6s... I heard the only Pontiac G6 made in actual 2010 was the Final Pontiac... also there was news back then of holdover fleet sales and a reported 100 2010 G6s needed for a fleet order which were built in the tail end of 2009.

After all the smoke has cleared, do we have any idea how many 2010 G6s were actually made?

Why?  I just bought one.  Its salvage, but I'm rebuilding it... pretty easy fix... probably a flip as its too damn small for me to drive.  I suspect it may have been a rental.  Just curious of its curiosity value.

Stephen

based on a google search of 2010 pontiac G6 and VIN and 2010 chevrolet Malibu and VIN, which tends to pick up lots of classified ads where the VIN is included in the ad, and looking at the range of sequence numbers on the various vehicles I would estimate a total of around 65,000 Pontiac G6 and Chevy Malibu were assembled with the 2010 model year designation at Orion. G6 and Malibu were assembled concurrently at Orion and I believe shared a common VIN sequence range. My understanding of the breakdown is about 40,000 were Malibu and 25,000 were G6. This also seems reasonable since typically the new model year starts getting assembled around July/August and since the final G6 was assembled in November 2009 it seems reasonable to have assembled about 65,000 vehicles in a 4-5 month time-frame.

The final G6, which was also the last Pontiac assembled in the US, was built on Nov 25, 2009. No further G6 or any other US built Pontiac for that matter, were assembled after that date. No G6 or any other US built Pontiac was assembled in calendar year 2010.  

Wiki and GM seem to mark the last G6 as produced in early 2010.  I suspect that the penultimate G6 was produced and was featured on the newswire... and then later it turned out that some G3s were built in Mexico in Dec 2009.  Since GM didn't want the final Pontiac being built in Mexico, they cranked up the assembly line for one more car in 2010. 

My G6 is made with parts dated Sep-Nov 2009.

Stephen

Edited by SAmadei

8 hours ago, SAmadei said:

Wiki and GM seem to mark the last G6 as produced in early 2010.  I suspect that the penultimate G6 was produced and was featured on the newswire... and then later it turned out that some G3s were built in Mexico in Dec 2009.  Since GM didn't want the final Pontiac being built in Mexico, they cranked up the assembly line for one more car in 2010. 

My G6 is made with parts dated Sep-Nov 2009.

Stephen

Interesting.

So, I've figured out why this car was totaled out.  No way to return it economically to original specs using GM parts because most of the parts changed during the 2009.5 refresh are fairly hard to find.  Even the headlights assemblies are slightly different, as GM changed the amber turn signal lenses into clear ones.

Really sucks since I had a line on a complete parts car in the right color... but it sold before I could get there with cash in hand.

I have a feeling I'm about to use older parts.

Stephen

15 hours ago, SAmadei said:

So, I've figured out why this car was totaled out.  No way to return it economically to original specs using GM parts because most of the parts changed during the 2009.5 refresh are fairly hard to find.  Even the headlights assemblies are slightly different, as GM changed the amber turn signal lenses into clear ones.

Really sucks since I had a line on a complete parts car in the right color... but it sold before I could get there with cash in hand.

I have a feeling I'm about to use older parts.

Stephen

Car makers drive me nuts when they do this.  I love the 1980'S SVO Mustangs, but they were low production cars and lots of bits, from the front headlights to the turn signals are unique to the cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_SVO

Good luck on your salvage rebuild, let me know what you want for it when it is done. I will be looking for an inexpensive car for my kids to learn to drive on.  I have a twenty year old daughter  who has never bothered to get her licensee and a fifteen year old who wants to learn.

G6 was kind of a sad casualty of the whole economic collapse, I really liked the convertible versions of the car especially.

I wasn't in love with the G6, as most of them are awkward looking sedans... but compared to a lot of newer cars, even the sedan looks better and better to me.  I actually like the coupe and convertible versions... I just missed picking up a convertible... and now I'm looking at one that is "rear ended" but in actuality, the convertible mechanism is screwed up... but its too far away to act on.

As for the salvage project, I hope to have it driving around the yard next week... maybe wait another week to see if the right parts pop up.  If not, I'm starting to consider putting a mild body kit on it... as its about the same price as the correct 2010 parts.  I'm just not sure how the body kit will enhance or detract from its resale value.

I figure that the car is going to cost me $1600 to get done... and I was hoping to net about $1500~2000... but that might be tough to get considering the mileage (125K) on a base level car.  Depending on your source, book value is a tick under $5K, but the salvage brand cuts into that quite a bit... I'm hoping that documenting the repair will help convince any potential buyer that the car wasn't seriously damaged.  Who knows.

Stephen

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Might go well as a winter beater....throw a good set of all seasons on it!:)

Heck, they make pretty solid family sedans...

Indeed, that would allow one to have a summer fun car!

• Agree 1