What Would You Buy Instead: Mercedes C300 Coupe Edition

Frisky Dingo

C&D just got up their test on the new MB C Coupe- C&D MB C300 Test - and had a largely positive review. This is a rather small, but hotly contested segment.

So let's say you were spending between $40,000-55,000 on a new personal sport/lux coupe as a daily. What's your choice?

Rules-

1)Must be a 2016 or 2017 MY car on sale now.

2)Must be a 2+2 2 door coupe.

3)Must be at least $40,000 and no more than $55,000

Have fun.

I think the new C300 coupe really does look great. I love Mercedes coupes. The might be on the bland and boring side but I love their lines and curves. Mercedes knows how to make a coupe, IMO. With that said.. for 55k I want way more than 240hp/270tq. That doesn't cut it at this price.

For a toy because I couldn't really live with one daily where I live.. Enough snow that I WILL NOT drive it in the snow.. a GT350 that is. It also starts at 54,295 but that doesn't include destination which then brings it above 55k. But if this was a second vehicle, a SYNC-less GT350 would hands down be the car. It would be pretty cool to own a Porsche but with how they ala carte everything and a Cayman starting at 53k that really would be a stripped down car for the money. Plus... Who wants a Porsche that isn't a 911?

That kind of leaves me to the 4 Series, C Coupe, ATS Coupe, Audi 5's. My favorite non-coupe is the ATS out of those but I don't think Cadillac knows what they are doing when they go from sedan to coupe. C Coupe doesn't have enough balls, 4 and S5 would be pretty awesome.

1E5206F1-41C0-4A0C-A1CB-852AD6527FDD_zps

An M2 would be great but I'm afraid it might actually be a little too small for my liking.

77D48718-8FD0-4F20-8E71-0F45B0196E2D_zps

Buuuuuuut how do I say 'no' to a Mustang GT or Camaro SS all loaded up?!?! I would honestly have to drive the S5, 435i, M2, Camaro SS and Mustang GT to really be able to decide. When I think strictly performance the M2 and SS stick out. And I think after driving all of them the M2 would end up being the new ride. I know it would probably be a little crampy but hell, we're talking about coupes. None of them will be very large, none of them have big trunks. The larger ones just add passenger space behind the driver anyway.

I would need it in this color though.

D085DCD8-77B7-4A0B-83F8-8B02AAD920FD_zps

I'm pretty much thinking the same think Frisky is. M2 or S5. I'd really have to drive them to make an honest decision between the two but I sat in an M4 last weekend(current gen) and the sight lines and just feel of everything from the driver's seat felt so natural instantly that I would only think the M2 would do the same for me.

22 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I think the new C300 coupe really does look great. I love Mercedes coupes. The might be on the bland and boring side but I love their lines and curves. Mercedes knows how to make a coupe, IMO. With that said.. for 55k I want way more than 240hp/270tq. That doesn't cut it at this price.

For a toy because I couldn't really live with one daily where I live.. Enough snow that I WILL NOT drive it in the snow.. a GT350 that is. It also starts at 54,295 but that doesn't include destination which then brings it above 55k. But if this was a second vehicle, a SYNC-less GT350 would hands down be the car. It would be pretty cool to own a Porsche but with how they ala carte everything and a Cayman starting at 53k that really would be a stripped down car for the money. Plus... Who wants a Porsche that isn't a 911?

That kind of leaves me to the 4 Series, C Coupe, ATS Coupe, Audi 5's. My favorite non-coupe is the ATS out of those but I don't think Cadillac knows what they are doing when they go from sedan to coupe. C Coupe doesn't have enough balls, 4 and S5 would be pretty awesome.

An M2 would be great but I'm afraid it might actually be a little too small for my liking.

Buuuuuuut how do I say 'no' to a Mustang GT or Camaro SS all loaded up?!?! I would honestly have to drive the S5, 435i, M2, Camaro SS and Mustang GT to really be able to decide. When I think strictly performance the M2 and SS stick out. And I think after driving all of them the M2 would end up being the new ride. I know it would probably be a little crampy but hell, we're talking about coupes. None of them will be very large, none of them have big trunks. The larger ones just add passenger space behind the driver anyway.

I would need it in this color though.

I'm pretty much thinking the same think Frisky is. M2 or S5. I'd really have to drive them to make an honest decision between the two but I sat in an M4 last weekend(current gen) and the sight lines and just feel of everything from the driver's seat felt so natural instantly that I would only think the M2 would do the same for me.

The Mustang GT is too lacking in power and refinement for me to want to DD. The 435i is nice and comfy, but rather boring. I've never driven an S5 actually, but I like the A5 in 2.0T guise, and I've driven B8 S4's, and I like them. I have nothing against the Camaro SS, but it just doesn't really do it for me for some reason. I forgot about the GT350, though it breaks out of the price range. It'd be admittedly very hard to choose an M2 over one. I'd have to drive the 2 make that call. Cayman wouldn't have made the cut since it's a 2-seater. They need a new 928 stat.

33 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

The Mustang GT is too lacking in power and refinement for me to want to DD. The 435i is nice and comfy, but rather boring. I've never driven an S5 actually, but I like the A5 in 2.0T guise, and I've driven B8 S4's, and I like them. I have nothing against the Camaro SS, but it just doesn't really do it for me for some reason. I forgot about the GT350, though it breaks out of the price range. It'd be admittedly very hard to choose an M2 over one. I'd have to drive the 2 make that call. Cayman wouldn't have made the cut since it's a 2-seater. They need a new 928 stat.

For me I would probably be fine with the refinement of a Mustang GT but if I can have more for a DD, why wouldn't I? I think if I'm buying a sporty coupe it EASILY has to surpass the 300hp mark which the 435i, S5 both do with room for additional options.

I forgot about the lack of a back seat in the Porsche. Either way, too many better options and POWER in the price range. If the GT350 wasn't marked up almost everywhere I'd say I could make it happen under 55k(as it's only a fee hundred bucks over) but if I'm being honest a base GT350 would still be above 55k because there would be no way to get it down at all.

Second to the GT350, the M2 is probably the quickest as well here. It would probably be a freakin blast to drive at 365hp/343tq and only weighing like 3400-3500lbs. It might be a little tight for a daily but I think it would be worth it. Plus, there's always a good aftermarket following for the M cars, right? I bet just a tune on the turbo engine would turn the wick up plenty good.

4 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

@dfelt

I love that Kona interior. I'd have to pair with something lighter and with more contrast on the outside, though. Maybe Pearl White or Silver, or even Grey.

@Frisky Dingo

Remember this is Seattle, the Home of Starbucks. Mocha is the Home Town Color right behind Green the State color for Evergreens! :P

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, dfelt said:

The more I look at that blue c300 coupe, the more it is just an ugly Jelly Bean. WOW, I see nothing attractive about the design or the interior dash.  Not impressed.:nono:

Ugly as shit is my way of describing it. As for teh ATS U configured.. yeah.. I'd have to go with a different exterior for the contrast. White would be my choice to set it off. But alas.. it your choice no matter what we say

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would take the C300 over any other coupe in the segment, but if I was picking a different coupe then probably Infiniti Q60.  It looks decent, and even the 400 hp TT V6 is $52,000, so I could get that with no options or a loaded up 300 hp V6 model.  I don't care for Audis, buzzy motors and VW clone styling.  BMW styling inside and out does nothing for me, even though they make a great inline engine.