Frisky's Back With a New 'What Would You Buy Instead?"

Frisky Dingo

Been a long time, so this one is overdue. And it's a fun one to jump back with.

C&D just posted up their First Drive Review of the new 991.2 Turbo. Here is the link- http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-porsche-911-turbo-first-drive-review Since there was no as-tested price, we're going to use the range from just below base price on a Turbo, to just above base price on a Turbo S. That's a nice ~50K bracket. 

So, you have to spend at least $150,000, but no more than $200,000. The only requirement is that the car be some sort of high-end sport coupe/sport-GT/etc. Have fun.

I just built a SVR with every single box I could check and it rung up to $149,925..lol

Oh wait, I forgot to add the spare wheel for $400! hahaha $150,325.

Not sure if that's what I would go with but I know I couldn't get sick of that Jag V8. Something about that just gets me goin'. The 911 would tear it up but it would sound the best getting beat.

54 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Does not meet price requirements, nor is is sport coupe or GT coupe.

Tesla S P100D is $158,200 before federal $7,500 reduction ending at $150,500 so price is there, but coupe can be 4 door or 2 door so how does this not meet what you have stated. You did not state traditional 2 door coupe only. Remember everyone seems to be on the stupid coupe design for every auto now, even CUV's like the butt ugly BMW X6.

25 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Tesla S P100D is $158,200 before federal $7,500 reduction ending at $150,500 so price is there, but coupe can be 4 door or 2 door so how does this not meet what you have stated. You did not state traditional 2 door coupe only. Remember everyone seems to be on the stupid coupe design for every auto now, even CUV's like the butt ugly BMW X6.

You're reaching so far that you're arguing with the OP about what he meant. The Tesla S isn't a sports car, it's a 4 door sedan. Just pick something else.

• Agree 1

OK...so...

A decade or so ago...I was an Oldsmobile kinda guy. If Oldsmobile still existed today, Id be buying myself Oldsmobiles...If I was alive in the 1950s and 1960s as a young professional, Id be buying myself Super 88s, Cutlass 442s and Toronadoes.   Gentleman's hot rods were made by Oldsmobile...

Seeing as this brand does not exist anymore, I tried to become an Acura guy. Well. Piss on me for that!

Be as it may...Acura does have one interesting car at this price range that Id buy. But, before I mention what that Acura  may be, I am also an Aston Martin kinda guy...I like to think myself as a gentleman. A classy debonair kinda guy and thank the lord Aston Martin still exists and I could play this game with pride!

Aston Martin DB11

2017-Aston-Martin-DB11-exterior.jpg

OK OK....I know...I know...MSRP starts at $215 000

Don't you worry don't you fear when the Aston Martn Vantage still exists for 2016...

V8 or V12...does it look like I give a phoque???!!  :spit: (not very gentlemanly choice of words there...Bite Me!)

7.jpg?last_change=1384430809

And then there is the Acura NSX that I wouldn't mind having.  Exotic Car for the discreet gentleman. Let us be it be clear with that...Aston Martin waaaaaay before the NSX Acura though. Dodge Challenger Hellcat plus Dodge Viper to attain the minimum requirement of 150 000 waaaaaay before Acura NSX....Got it? GOOD!

150000-acura-nsx-aimed-at-porsche-custom

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

Coupes Suck, they are so anti big guys. 

Since Cadillac no longer builds any 2 door coupes, my next choice would be to squeeze myself into the Aston Martin Vantage.

I do agree with Olds, no price max, then the DB11 :metal:

35 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Coupes Suck, they are so anti big guys. 

Since Cadillac no longer builds any 2 door coupes, my next choice would be to squeeze myself into the Aston Martin Vantage.

I do agree with Olds, no price max, then the DB11 :metal:

S Class coupe? That's a beast of a car.. Or a variation of a Contiental from Bentley.

Continental GT starts at $198,000 and the S Class Coupe starts at $121,000 and a S63 Coupe is $163,000. Those are cars built for larger people with sporty intentions/GT intentions.

Damn you both!! I got busy before I could hop on the configurator and price one out.

Technically, the 911 R fits within the rules, so it'd be my pick.

Barring that, and being more realistic, I'd have chosen a V12 Vantage Coupe w/ manual, of course. I ruled out the F Type because I don't like the SVR, and that's the only way to get the price high enough. The Benz I'm just not a huge fan of.

My list-

1) 911 R. Don't have exact MSRP because they took the build down.

2/realistic 1) Aston V12 Vantage Coupe

3)991 GT3 RS

4)Audi R8 V10 +

5)Loaded the f$*@ up C4S Targa 7MT

5 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

@ccap41 - An AMG GT starts way under $150k. I was looking at that one too!

Yeah I had to make sure I added all of the carbon bits(carbon fiber exterior package was $5,300), fancy leather, high end sterio system($4,500), carbon brakes( $8,900)and the AMG GT S started at $131,000 so it wasn't too difficult to surpass $150,000

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

S Class coupe? That's a beast of a car.. Or a variation of a Contiental from Bentley.

Continental GT starts at $198,000 and the S Class Coupe starts at $121,000 and a S63 Coupe is $163,000. Those are cars built for larger people with sporty intentions/GT intentions.

Appreciate the expanded options, but for me those auto's I just do not find attractive. The Aston Martin on the other hand is all kinds of sexy! :P

2009-Aston-Martin-Vantage-by-MW-Design-Technik-Model-Front-Angle-1280x960.jpg

2009-Aston-Martin-Vantage-by-MW-Design-Technik-Model-Front-1920x1440.jpg

23 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Appreciate the expanded options, but for me those auto's I just do not find attractive. The Aston Martin on the other hand is all kinds of sexy! :P

2009-Aston-Martin-Vantage-by-MW-Design-Technik-Model-Front-Angle-1280x960.jpg

2009-Aston-Martin-Vantage-by-MW-Design-Technik-Model-Front-1920x1440.jpg

Oh well.. I tried!

But the Astson is sexy as F. Of all colors I wouldn't get white.. and I would sure as hell take that tow hook out of the front bumper too but Aston has always made beautiful cars, that's for sure.