What Would Buy Instead- GS350 F Sport Edition

Frisky Dingo

So our newest 'WWYBI' installment comes courtesy of C&D once again, with their test of the updated 2016 GS350 F Sport. Here is the review for those interested- http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-lexus-gs350-f-sport-test-review

As always, you have a 10% range on either side of the test car to spend on a fairly similar car. In this case, we'll call it a sport or luxury sedan of some sort. As always, your selection must be a new and current MY car on sale now.

Base price here is $55,700. As tested was $61,690. Therefore, you must spend no less than $50,130. You also cannot spend more than $67,680. That opens a lot of options up, and I look forward to seeing everyone's choices.

Again, for those among us challenged by reading- You have between $50,130-67,680 to spend on some sort of new sport or luxury sedan.

Pic for reference-

2016-Lexus-GS350-F-Sport-101-876x535.jpg

Hmmm. Lotsa ways you could go with this one. But given that Lexus doesn't have a ton of sporting cred I'll stick with the mellow end of the range and go with some variant of the CT6 with the TTV6. Hey, maybe even go for a 3.6 version with the fancy back seats (I don't think you can do both for under 67 large).

AHHHH I built a C63 for 67,695! I think I will sacrifice the awesome super dark blue for the LED headlights. I have a thing for really nice lighting. Okay that freed up just enough room for the illuminated TriStar in the grille. I wish I could have gotten rid of the fake leather.. but oh well.. Just fake black leather and luckily I already like the aluminum trim more than wood anyway. 

So I have a C63, black, with full LED headlights and LED TriStar logo in the grille. $67,525. 

1C12BD65-A1DF-40C9-AEE5-9BE5C742D82A_zps

C57C70E1-4916-4A0E-AC8D-B960493DB2F3_zps

• Agree 1

It is difficult to pick cars when the prices are given in US dollars for the US market and Im living in Canadian dollars in a Canadian market...in Quebec of all places...

OK...GS350 F Sport...in Quebec costs:

97 000 dollars...

OK...Mercedes-Benz CLS 63 starts in US dollars:

$66 900

OK....that is cutting it close...M-B nickel and dimes you so that base price really aint much to go with....so scratch that.

A Tesla Model S starts at 71 000 US dollars....DAMN YOU FRISKY!!! :cussing:
 with your 67 000 dollar cut off! :explode:

I cant even choose the Chevrolet SS as its not even offered in Canada... :hissyfit:

I think Im good with the pricing with a Cadillac CTS V-Sport.

3.6 TT...I think the Premium trim busts the budget but the regular trim should be fine...

2014-cadillac-cts-vsport-inline1-photo-6

EDIT:

HERE I WAS BUSTING MY CHOPS TO SEE IF I COULD FIT THE V-SPORT IN THIS THREAD AND TWO WISE GUYS SNEAK IN AND ANSWER MY MOTHER&$#@ QUESTION...I DID NOT HAVE TO BREAK MY BRAIN....ALL I HAD TO DO IS JUST BE PATIENT AND WAIT FOR CP and CCAP COME TO THE CONCLUSION FOR ME!!!!

AGGHHHHH!!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

Well first off, any sedan is better than a GS350 F, except for an Acrua RLX which you could run up over $60k.  I would take the 2017 E-class first, but since we don't know pricing on it, I can't configure it.   If I picked form 2016 cars, I would get a base model C63 at $65,250 and add the LED lighting package, electric trunk closer and air fragrance package for $1,400 more for a total of $66,650.  And that leaves $1,000 left over for gas in the V8.

After the two Mercs my third choice would be a Jaguar XF S with the 380 hp V6 and the comfort and convenience package since it has ventilated seats and soft close doors.  That would come in around $66k.

It is difficult to pick cars when the prices are given in US dollars for the US market and Im living in Canadian dollars in a Canadian market...in Quebec of all places...

97 000 dollars...

$66 900

OK....that is cutting it close...M-B nickel and dimes you so that base price really aint much to go with....so scratch that.

I cant even choose the Chevrolet SS as its not even offered in Canada... :hissyfit:

3.6 TT...I think the Premium trim busts the budget but the regular trim should be fine...

EDIT:

HERE I WAS BUSTING MY CHOPS TO SEE IF I COULD FIT THE V-SPORT IN THIS THREAD AND TWO WISE GUYS SNEAK IN AND ANSWER MY MOTHER&$#@ QUESTION...I DID NOT HAVE TO BREAK MY BRAIN....ALL I HAD TO DO IS JUST BE PATIENT AND WAIT FOR CP and CCAP COME TO THE CONCLUSION FOR ME!!!!

AGGHHHHH!!!!

You're more than welcome to use our pricing scheme, buddy. I know it'll make it a lot easier for you.

97 000 dollars...

$66 900

2014-cadillac-cts-vsport-inline1-photo-6

EDIT:

AGGHHHHH!!!!

Hahaha well when cp brought it up I had to visit their site to see how well I could or couldn't build one. It's really tough to decide if I'd prefer the twin turbo or the extra amenities.. 

^ Heck, you could get a VSport for 60k. Add a few small things and keep it under 67,xxx. I have to assume the VSport package alone adds a lot of options that you'd have to check in lower trims. 

Well the N/A V6 model in the mid $60k range is significantly more luxurious than the base V-Sport. I'm personally a sucker for the kona brown interior and the uplevel gauge cluster. I'm just pointing out that the regular 335 hp V6 already out-classes the GS350 "F-Sport."