Frisky Bought ANOTHER One.....

Frisky Dingo

Got it. A new GTI. 2016 DSG SE w/ Performance Package to be exact.

216.jpg

Congrats!

One of my best friends drives a '12 Autobahn GTI(4dr, DSG, and black like yours) and he loves everything about it. The only thing he wishes it had more of was power. But that's getting a little greedy as there's a ridiculous aftermarket for them and the base to build upon is fantastic! 

Is the Performance Package like a 10hp bump on top of the '15 bump as well? 

Edited by ccap41

Very classy. Simple wheels - easy cleaning.

So, did... dieselgate cause a deflategate in the price?  :XD: 

No, incentives on it actually weren't that great. I leased it. $500 rebate and a crappy money factor, honestly. But I did get a killer price.

So a little back story on all of this.

As many of you know, I've been on the hunt for a car for a while now. Everything from the FR-S, to the new Camaro, to the 4dr Cooper S has been on my radar. It wasn't so much outright performance, or price, or practicality, or styling that was the determining factor. Just driving enjoyment primarily, with each of those aforementioned aspects having varying degrees of significance.

The funny thing is, I actually drove a new GTI at one point earlier in my search. It was a DSG SE car w/ no Perf Pkg. I only had a brief drive in town and came away unimpressed. Fast forward 5 months, and I start working at a VW dealership after relocating to St Louis. The plan was to find another 335i to buy, because I still miss my old E90 terribly. But I'm driving the different VW models to get acquainted with them, and I drive a CPO '13 GTI. I immediately liked it. Small, nimble, quick, playful, brimming with personality. Wow, I'm thinking, this could be a new candidate. But is the older car really that much better than the new one I read rave reviews about everywhere? 

Another drive in the new car, and I mean a REAL drive erased any doubt. When I was done driving it, I knew my search was over. It did everything the Mk6 did and more. Interior was nicer, more features, quicker. With my decision made, it now came time to pick a specific model. I wanted a 4DR SE w/ 6MT, Lighting Pkg, and Perform Pkg. There weren't any. Like, in the entire country. I'm smitten with the plaid seats and the Lighting and Perf Pkg, so I compromise and say I'm open to a DSG car. Still none. Dammit. Ok, I guess I can live w/out Light Pkg. Still none in 800 miles, and I just wasn't willing to jump on it. So I did some more soul searching. How bad do i want a manual? How bad do I want the plaid seats? The SE gets heated leather(ette) which I really don't like, but it adds Fender audio and passive-entry/push-to-start which I like a LOT. Ok, so maybe I'll look at an SE.

The only 6MT SE's w/ Light and Perf Pkg were 200+ miles away, and would have taken a few days to wrap up the dealer trade. That would have pushed the deal into March, and I wouldn't have lost some rebate. So I had a choice- take a local DSG SE w/ both packages, or leave off a package. DSG cars w/ both options were more than I wanted to spend. That left DSG-only cars. Really wanted a stick, but I know I'll want something else before the lease is up, so getting auto will let me hand it down to the wife (she can drive stick, but doesn't prefer it as a DD). Now we're getting somewhere. Now I just have to choose between Lighting Pkg and Perf Pkg. The Light Pkg really makes the looks of the car, and it's hard to turn it down. It opens up more colors, as well. Can I really pass on Perf Pkg's E-diff, brakes, etc to get fancy lights? So I drive a Perf Pkg car again, and I know I must have it. You can readily tell a difference in the two cars. 

So I end up buying a Carbon Steel DSG SE w/ Perf Pkg that was in stock. Got a good deal, so I'm happy. Plus, I can always add the upgraded headlights down the road, where I couldn't realistically do the LSD, brakes, and what not. Stay tuned for a driving impressions post.

Aren't those lights like 1500 a piece though? That's about as unrealistic as adding the e-diff...imo...

That's awesome you work at a VW dealer! I actually have two friends who are obsessed with VW(the one with the '12 GTI and another who drives a '12 or '13 Jetta TDI 6spd). The one with the Jetta will never own anything that isn't VAG, he's just like that. When he's in the market for a new car I'll definitely pass him your way. You'll just have to let me know what dealership you're at. He lives in IL but works at Boeing so he's in STL daily. 

Oh well that isn't near as bad then. I do LOVE the VW HID's. Something about the color, shape, LEDs, just a good looking head light. My friend was actually pondering upgrading to a '16 but the one that he came across was only like 25k but had the standard lights, cloth interior and he just couldn't step out of his loaded Autobahn. He also digs the HIDs on VWs and really didn't want to just get a newer car but most everything else was a slight downgrade as car as interior bits and such. 

Pics for reference-

Golf R

GOlf_R_2_large.jpg?v=1445878242

Golf_R_3_large.jpg?v=1445878242

Yeah, those are good lookin' for sure. Especially if they are half the price! Are they 700 a piece or 700 for the pair? I thought HIDs on the GTI were like 1500 EACH, or somewhere in that ball park. 

Don't know what was being downgraded inside, because the new car is easily nicer than the Mk6. Virtually everything is soft touch, and fit and finish is superb. Not to mention switch gear and the infotainment system. It's a much nicer more complete package as a whole. And the power increase is very noticeable.

GTI w/ Lighting Pkg

IMG_6137-Medium-550x366.jpg

JMlXesCl.jpg

The GTI w/ the Lighting Package just has too much red for my tastes. Especially when you add the red badging of the Perf Pkg cars.

Thanks for posting these pics, your right that red is a bit much.

Haven't had the chance to drive the Mk7 GTI yet, but if stability control still kicks in too early like it did in the Mk6, then I'm still not sure if I'd love it like everyone else does.

The Miata has ruined me, everything else feels vague and imprecise.

Very classy. Simple wheels - easy cleaning.

So, did... dieselgate cause a deflategate in the price?  :XD: 

No, incentives on it actually weren't that great. I leased it. $500 rebate and a crappy money factor, honestly. But I did get a killer price.

Good car, plus good deal, equals good times. Congrats, man.