CHEVROLET and GMC INTRODUCE 2016 SILVERADO/SIERRA WITH EASSIST

Cmicasa the Great

1456367294305.jpg

DETROIT – Chevrolet announced today that a select number of 2016 Chevrolet Silverados will be offered with eAssist technology. The new mild-hybrid electrical system leverages many of the technologies and components from Chevrolet’s lineup of innovative electric vehicles – including battery cells from the Malibu Hybrid and software controls developed for the Volt. As a result, Chevrolet can deliver a low-volume, affordably priced hybrid pickup that delivers uncompromised capability and up to 13 percent better fuel economy in city driving. 

“Silverado already leads the full-size truck segment in V8 fuel economy,” said Sandor Piszar, marketing director for Chevrolet Trucks. “For customers and small-business owners who use their trucks for more urban driving, the addition of eAssist can further reduce their fuel costs without sacrificing the utility they expect in a full-size truck.”

The compact, lightweight system increases curb weight by approximately 100 pounds, and delivers an additional 13 hp and 44 lb-ft of torque from the electric motor.

The eAssist propulsion system, including the 8-speed automatic transmission, will be a $500 premium over a comparably equipped two-wheel drive Silverado 1500 crew cab in 1LT trim.

Initially, Chevrolet will offer approximately 500 Silverado eAssist trucks for the 2016 model year, exclusively through California dealers. Based on feedback from these initial customers, Chevrolet will adjust production for 2017 model year.

The eAssist Silverado adds another piece to Chevrolet’s growing electrification portfolio - from all-electrics like the Chevrolet Spark EV and Bolt EV (slated to begin production in late 2016), to extended-range electrics like the Chevrolet Volt, to full-hybrids like Malibu Hybrid, and mild-hybrids like Silverado eAssist. 

Technology developed from new Malibu Hybrid and Volt
The eAssist system pairs a compact lithium-ion battery pack with the Silverado’s 5.3L EcoTech V-8 and 8-speed automatic transmission to provide:  

Electric Power Boost: The on-board electric motor provides up to 13 hp and 44 lb-ft of supplemental power during acceleration and passing. The electric motor also enables the Active Fuel Management system on the 5.3L V-8 engine to operate in 4-cylinder mode for longer periods, resulting in additional fuel economy benefits.
Stop/Start capability: Added fuel savings are achieved by seamlessly turning the engine off when stopped at a traffic light or in congested traffic and turning the engine back on when the accelerator is pressed.
Regenerative Braking: By using the on-board electric motor as a generator, the energy recovered while braking is converted to electricity to recharge the onboard battery system.
These features deliver a 13 percent improvement in city fuel economy, based on EPA estimates. The 2016 Silverado eAssist will have an EPA estimated 18 mpg city, a 2 mpg improvement over the equivalent Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L V-8 and 8-speed automatic. EPA estimated highway fuel economy for the Silverado eAssist is 24 mpg, while the combined rating is 20 mpg.

Power for the eAssist system is supplied by a 24-cell, air-cooled 0.45 kWh lithium-ion battery pack located under the center console (or front bench seat) that uses the same battery cells as the Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid. It weighs nearly 15 percent less than the previous generation eAssist system, yet provides up to 15 kW of power to the electric motor.

More at Chevy Press Release  GMC Press Release

Very cool, glad to see a start rather than nothing and it is very affordable for many people. Doubt the $500 addition to the price would really affect the price of the auto on a month basis that would stop people from buying it.

However, it is only available in 2WD configuration...

I think if they allowed for 4WD and the mild-hybrid system, it might be worth it for everyone.

Sounds like a small pilot project - repurposing Malibu battery cells and taking some tech from other powertrains.

I imagine fitting all this stuff is easy, plenty of space under the hood of a Silverado.

It's only 700 combined models between Chevy and GMC for the 2016 model year, and only for California. 

I would get this though. 2 extra mpg city for $500 sounds pretty reasonable, but you're getting a huge increase in FE in terms of percentage increase in FE. I played around with some calculators. Your pay-off period is just about one year, given the price of fuel between $1.75 a gallon or $2.25 a gallon, and a combined driving distance of 12,000 miles/year, around 20 MPG combined. 60% HWY. 40% City

In that sense, it pays itself off kinda quick for a hybrid. But I'm more inclined to call it an eAssist, what GM calls it. And that reminds me of integrated motor assist that used to have...

For example, a new Prius barely manages even a 7% improvement in FE over the last model....

And this is what we expect. Ford has a hybrid F150 under wraps as well. Maybe it'll be a full hybrid. 

I'm just noticing that the 5.3L V8/8-speed combination is actually good for one less MPG highway and combined than the older 5.3L/6-speed. 16/22 mpg versus 16/23 mpg. That makes zero sense to me.

Are you sure you're not looking at figures for a 2WD/4WD though?

I'm just noticing that the 5.3L V8/8-speed combination is actually good for one less MPG highway and combined than the older 5.3L/6-speed. 16/22 mpg versus 16/23 mpg. That makes zero sense to me.

Fueleconomy.gov shows the 2WD version dropped 1mpg highway and the 4WD version dropped 1mpg city and highway from 2015 to 2016

2015 2WD: 16/23

2016 2WD: 16/22

2015 4WD: 16/22

2016 4WD: 15/21

However, it is only available in 2WD configuration...

I think if they allowed for 4WD and the mild-hybrid system, it might be worth it for everyone.

Sounds like a small pilot project - repurposing Malibu battery cells and taking some tech from other powertrains.

I imagine fitting all this stuff is easy, plenty of space under the hood of a Silverado.

It's only 700 combined models between Chevy and GMC for the 2016 model year, and only for California. 

I would get this though. 2 extra mpg city for $500 sounds pretty reasonable, but you're getting a huge increase in FE in terms of percentage increase in FE. I played around with some calculators. Your pay-off period is just about one year, given the price of fuel between $1.75 a gallon or $2.25 a gallon, and a combined driving distance of 12,000 miles/year, around 20 MPG combined. 60% HWY. 40% City

In that sense, it pays itself off kinda quick for a hybrid. But I'm more inclined to call it an eAssist, what GM calls it. And that reminds me of integrated motor assist that used to have...

For example, a new Prius barely manages even a 7% improvement in FE over the last model....

And this is what we expect. Ford has a hybrid F150 under wraps as well. Maybe it'll be a full hybrid. 

4WD adds more weight and would decrease the already small fuel gain it gets with the hybrid system. That is probably one reason why it's not available in 4WD.

On the EPA website, you have to select 2WD or 4WD before it shows any ratings. Go look for yourself before assuming I missed something obvious!

On the EPA website, you have to select 2WD or 4WD before it shows any ratings. Go look for yourself before assuming I missed something obvious!

OK thanks!