Audi News: Audi Gets Q2 and Q4 Trademarks From FCA

William Maley

Audi can now use Q2 and Q4 for future models thanks a new deal with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

Audi CEO Rupert Stadler tells Autoblog that the German automaker has done a trademark swap to get their hands on Q2 and Q4. It is unknown what FCA got out of the deal.

"We tried to get it years ago and they said 'No, never,' but there is never 'never' in business. ... This year I went back to them with a proposal and we talked and there were some negotiations and then we agreed to it," said Stadler.

Q2 was used by FCA to denote vehicles equipped with a limited-slip differential (mostly used on Alfa Romeo vehicles). Q4 denoted vehicles with all-wheel drive (used on Alfa Romeo and Maserati vehicles).

Audi plans to use Q2 and Q4 on upcoming crossovers. The Q2 will be used for a crossover based on the MQB platform and Q4 will be on a coupe-like version of the Q3.

Source: Autoblog

View full article

And the Confusion will continue and go from there for Audi CUV's and Cars. Their naming convention is so confusing that it is amazing anyone can figure it out. Q# for all the auto's and does not really help clarify car, CUV,SUV. I so hate this naming. Idiots in Marketing that cannot seem to come up with a proper way to differentiate between them.

Article seemed clear enough..the Q1 will be a subcompact CUV, Q2 will be a compact sized CUV, the Q4 will be an X4 competitor.. CUVs for every budget and size niche...following the same patterns of BMW and M-B, fill every niche and niches between niches and within niches...

I though Q# meant SUV/CUV and A/S/RS# meant cars? Does it not?

You are correct. Q = SUV/CUV for Audi

Okay, I thought so.

I guess I was confused by dfelt's post saying it's confusing. I actually think Audi has one of the clearer naming systems of Q# being all SUV/CUVs and A# being all cars(okay I guess the R8 is an exception).

Alright I just went to their site and the models that confuse things are the R8 and TT as they're kind of their own thing, not actually confusing if you ask me. Buuuuut the one lone bird is the A3 Sportback e-tron. That's listed under their SUVs/Crossovers/Wagons.