Beautiful Cars Appreciation Thread

oldshurst442

16 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

What is the advantage of a cabover tractor-trailer as opposed to a front-engine one?

Shorter length of the truck itself. No difference in hauling, but in America truckers do not seem to like tilting the cab forward to access the engine and work on it. This is why the Conventional is so popular here compared to the cab overs.

The TV show BJ and the Bear was a Cabover Kenworth.

image.png

2 hours ago, David said:

but in America truckers do not seem to like tilting the cab forward to access the engine and work on it. This is why the Conventional is so popular here compared to the cab overs.

No.

2 hours ago, David said:

Shorter length of the truck itself. No difference in hauling

No. But kinda. But no. But yes because reasons. But no.

2 hours ago, riviera74 said:

What is the advantage of a cabover tractor-trailer as opposed to a front-engine one?

And to answer your question.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/american-european-semi-trucks/

Each has a distinct shape and style that serve different driving purposes. And because of differences in regulations and roads, European trucks wouldn’t work in the states, and American trucks wouldn’t work in Europe. Let’s take a look at the details and differences of semi-trucks from different parts of the world.

American semi-trucks are large, and often livable

In America, size matters, especially when it comes to semi-trucks. The bigger they are, the more they can tow, and the faster they can tow it. Not only that, but American semi-trucks often have living spaces. That conventional cabin design, where the engine is in front of the driver, allows for more room inside for sleeping space and amenities.

There are two reasons many semi-trucks have living spaces. For starters, American semi trucks tend to drive longer distances, which means stopping overnight at rest stops. But the main reasoning for having sleeping quarters is that many truckers live out of their rig. They’re called owner-operators, and get jobs as they go along a route, charting their own course until, eventually, they’re back in their home state.

And much of an American truck’s life is spent on the interstate system, where the lanes are wide and the roads are straight. For that reason, the long wheelbase of the truck is acceptable and typically makes the ride much more bearable. Considering they are allowed to drive up to 12 hours every 24 hours, whereas European truckers can only drive 9 hours, that extra comfort is important.

European trucks are smaller, and more manuverable

As mentioned earlier, stricter regulations in Europe make for different trucks. For starters, a European semi-truck can only be 18.75 meters or about 61 feet. Meanwhile, American trucks can tow multiple trailers at a time. Because of these restrictions, European trucks have to be smaller, so they can tow more cargo. Considering American cabs can be 20 feet long, that only leaves 40 feet of room for cargo.

The cab over engine design of European trucks allows for the cab itself to be less than 10 feet long. And because owner-operators are rare, and the hours on the road are shorter, European trucks don’t require large sleeper cabins or living spaces. But the shorter cabin also creates a shorter wheelbase, which improves handling.

Europe has an interstate system, but the roads are windier and the lanes are more narrow. That’s why it’s crucial that the truck can navigate skinny city streets, and a cab over design makes that possible. They also don’t need massive engines, since semi-trucks in Europe are limited to 55 mph.

• Thanks 2

East Bound and Down Euro style!

Photo: Beers-01 | Scania Beers Dutch Truck Training 1980s album | Dutch  Model Truck Club | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

to smuggle 400 cases of Löwenbräu beer

Löwenbräu Original German Helles Lager 500ml Bottles - 5.2% ABV (12  Multipack)

From West Germany INTO East Germany. Munich to Potsdam. 

The speedy blocker Ban-One becomes the speedy Commie1 

1972 BMW 3.0 CSL RM Sotheby's Auction | Hypebeast

1972 BMW 3.0 CSL RM Sotheby's Auction | Hypebeast

Big Enos Burdette's  car is a red Bentley

Elton John's love affair with a 1956 Bentley Continental | British GQ

Anya Major – Movies, Bio and Lists on MUBI

image.jpeg.34c38a2c1b79ebafedadc324f9ef5a15.jpeg

Apple remember followers GIF - Find on GIFER

Burt Reynolds Sally Field GIF - Burt Reynolds Sally Field Wedding Dress -  Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

Just a good 'ole boy Russian style circa the late 1990s early 2000s.

I present you the comrade Lenin

Flag of the Soviet Union - Wikipedia

TVR Cerbera 4.5 British (Photos Framed, Prints, Puzzles, Posters, Canvas,  Fine...) #5815215

TVR Cerbera (1996 - 2005) used car review | Car review | RAC Drive

Uncle Yakov's truck

ZIL-130 - specifications, modifications, photos, videos, overview

Cousin Irina's  2 door coupe 

Vintage – 1997 BMW 323ti Compact | AutoGids

and 4x4

Vagabund Moto Russian Lada Niva 4x4 Release | Hypebeast

Korolenko's Tow Truck

Ural 6x6 | Vintage trucks, Tow truck, Big trucks

Nikolai P. Volkoff's police car

Исторический автомобиль ГАИ заступает на службу в Хабаровском крае -  PrimaMedia

and Kapitan Sergei's convertible

HD wallpaper: black and gray coupe convertible, bmw, z8, hamann, tuning,  cabrio | Wallpaper Flare

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

- Wait a minute. Wait a minute Doc!!! Ah...are you telling me you built a time machine...out of a DEE TOMAH-SSSO???!!! 

- The way I see it, if you are going to build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some STYLE!  Besides, the Ford 302 in it could actually propel it to the necessary 88 MPH to achieve time travel from the Flux Capacitor! Unlike the first attempt I tried it with that other piece of sh...(beep beep). Look out! 

Editor's Choice: 1971 De Tomaso Mangusta | Classic Driver Magazine 

1967→1971 De Tomaso Mangusta | | SuperCars.net

1969 De Tomaso Mangusta - Awesome | Classic sports cars, Classic cars,  Super cars

The De Tomaso Mangusta is a Proper Supercar • Petrolicious

Guide: De Tomaso Mangusta — Supercar Nostalgia

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 12:00 AM, oldshurst442 said:

Pontiac Service Center Cambridge, ON | Pontiac Repair Shop Near Me

The Firebird pic went away from this website, I found it again so I could re-post it.  Its a beautiful picture. Beautiful scene. Beautiful car. 

Pontiac

But just in case it goes away again, I will find another convertible Firebird to post to compensate and for us to enjoy another beautiful car that is the 1st gen Firebird.

Muscle Car Madness: 1967 Firebird 400 Convertible | Hotrod Hotline

1967 Pontiac Firebird For Sale - Carsforsale.com®

1967 PONTIAC FIREBIRD CONVERTIBLE - The Electric Garage

First Pontiac Firebird ever built heads to auction

1968 Pontiac Firebird Classic Cars for Sale - Classics on Autotrader

• Like 2

There was somebody's birthday...um 50th...on Wednseday  (*cough* mine  *cough*)...so to honour this awesome poster, I will post some 50th anniversary badged cars.  It so happens to be on this thread's 50th page so its befitting.  Its a divine sign for this divine poster...  (clears throat) 

Corvette 50th Anniversary Emblem Photograph by DB Hayes - Pixels

2003 Chevrolet Corvette 50th Anniversary | Supercars.net

1976 Pontiac Trans Am LE | T258 | Indy 2021

2017 Chevy Camaro 2SS Coupe 50th Anniversary Edition Celebrates A Legend

Get Excited for the Challenger's 50th Anniversary Model - Sheboygan  Chrysler Center Blog

50th Anniversary 2015 Mustang GT is here! - Mustang Specs

Montreal Canadiens 1972-73 Championship Team - 8x10 Color Photo | eBay

1973 Pontiac Trans Am 455 Red 3/4 Front View By Ocean | Kimballstock

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had this jingle in my head today.  

I like the late 60's bubble gum rock style guitar twang.   And the lyrics...  I dig the lyrics.  

I think my signature had something to do with it...

Anyway... if Im posting this jingle in the beautiful cars thread, I think you all know what Im gonna post...

1969 Plymouth Roadrunner Photograph by Dave Koontz - Pixels

1969 Plymouth Road Runner "Hostile" Pro-Tourer Goes For $250,000! -  MoparInsiders

1969 Plymouth Hemi Road Runner In Rare Omaha Orange Up For Grabs At Mecums'  Glendale Auction

Six Pack With a Twist: 1970 Plymouth Road Runner V-Code 4-Speed | Zero260

1970 Plymouth Road Runner - Worth The Wait

1970 Plymouth Road Runner | S124.1 | Kissimmee Summer Special 2020

Wile E Coyote Run GIF - Wile E Coyote Run Looney Tunes - Discover & Share  GIFs

2016 Ford Mustang to Offer Nostalgic Trim Packages – News – Car  and Driver

Wile E. Coyote Runs Into Wall GIF | Gfycat

Top 30 Mustang Crashes GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Who would like a donut?

This 1936 Packard 120B Convertible Coupe was simply stunning at the Packard Museum in Warren, Ohio over the weekend.

It has a 232 c.i. inline 8 cylinder that makes 120 hp @ 3800 rpm and 225 lb-ft at 2,000 rpm. In spite of its size, it only weighs in at 3,535 lbs, less than a base Ford Maverick (3,550)

DSC00323.JPEG

DSC00332.JPEG

IMG_8728.JPEG

• Like 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

30 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Who would like a donut?

This 1936 Packard 120B Convertible Coupe was simply stunning at the Packard Museum in Warren, Ohio over the weekend.

It has a 232 c.i. inline 8 cylinder that makes 120 hp @ 3800 rpm and 225 lb-ft at 2,000 rpm. In spite of its size, it only weighs in at 3,535 lbs, less than a base Ford Maverick (3,550)

DSC00323.JPEG

DSC00332.JPEG

IMG_8728.JPEG

Lovely auto, @balthazar would love that engine. 

Some Sexy Curves there for sure, a great sunny day cruising auto.