The Tucker 48: The Greatest Car That Ever Could Have Been

GMTruckGuy74

That's a myth, dfelt, perpetuated by the movie. Ford donated unused Lincoln/Continental steering wheels to Preston due to the fact he couldn't get his own designed wheel produced in time, and GM donated clay for the sculptors even though clay was hard to come by. Lots of good books and sites dedicated to the true story of the 1948 Tucker.

As for me, I've seen 4 of the cars in person and the phantom convertible #52/57). I wanted to see Chick's NJ Tucker, #51, that was finished post 1950-auction using sourced parts from the auction and other collectors.

Have only seen one in person (would have to dig to determine the car number), plus the phantom convertible.

Can't remember if I've seen any in person at all.  I protype-ish one was shown at Volo Auto Museum either a year or 2 ago, but in my mind, that don't count.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"You know we'll have a good time then" __ Harry Chapin __ 'Cats In The Cradle'

So talking to my son about Tuckers today, he asked me about all the ones I've seen in person. So naturally this means I had to make a list:

#XXXX: Prototype "Tin Goose", Maroon, Swigart Museum collection, seen April, 2014 @ AACA Museum fundraiser

#1024: Waltz Blue, Gast Motorcars Museum, Strasburg (Lancaster), PA, seen numerous times 1989-1991 and once in 1997

#1022: Gray, AACA 1991 Fall Meet, Dave Cammack owned (also seen October 2014 @ AACA Museum)

#1039: Gray, Smithsonian American History Museum, November 1992

#1030: Black, Preston's personal Tucker, seen @ Petersens Museum, Los Angeles, June 1997

#XXXX: Phantom Convertible (presumably #1052/1057), AACA 2009 Fall Meet, Hershey

#1013: Gray, seen at America On Wheels Museum (March 2013) & 2014 Philadelphia Auto Show, Swigart Museum collection

#XXXX: Lower '48 Tucker, seen at AACA Museum fundraisier April 2014, Rob & Joe Ida owned

#1001: Maroon, AACA Tucker Museum exhibit, Dave Cammack donation, October 2014

#1026: Bronze, AACA Tucker Museum exhibit, Dave Cammack donation, October 2014

10 in total, 8 real Tuckers, one tribute car (Ida Automotive), and one rumored development car (convertible), unsubstantiated.

A lot of the Tuckers are on display in museums around the country though there are many in private owners collections. If in the state of Pennsylvania, visit the Swigart Museum to see #1013 and the Tin Goose. For the ultimate Tucker exhibit, make your way to Hershey, PA to the AACA Museum to view the Dave Cammack Collection of Tucker automobilia and three Tuckers in one spot (#1001, 1022, and 1026). You won't be disappointed with the wonderful arrangement and the vast collection of Tucker materials collected by one person since the end of Preston Tucker's dream.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74