Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

@dfelt--Phase two (part one) complete. Replaced the old instrument gauge lights with much brighter leds ( one was out making it necessary to replace them all). Still need to replace the HVAC lights with the same leds (hence part one lol). Still trying to locate the proper trim bezel for the radio to cover up my cutting mistake but I am at least a few more steps closer to getting this turtle to my liking (which is now at 257k miles).

IMG_4541.JPG

Rockin Awesome, do it yourself projects that show what great upgrades can be. :metal: 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Stew said:

I am a fanatic for the Diet Dew, I am not even going into how much I drink a day.  And I usually drink 2 to 3 starbucks energy drinks a day, yeah i think I have a slight caffeine addiction.  So far today i did have 1 energy drink and drunk of a 20 once dew and downing some 75 oz of water haha

Hahaha I drink quite a bit of Diet Dew myself. That's easily the diet soda of choice. I probably drink around 32-48oz a day but I make sure every time I fill that "cup" up I finish and refill my water bottle as well. I'll usually drink 1-2 more bottles of water a day than my soda but that's still too much soda to be drinking. I just don't enjoy only drinking water all day every day. It sucks. lol It's terrible having free fountain soda at work.

$h!, it sounds like you're drinking $15 worth of caffeine a day!

21 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Hahaha I drink quite a bit of Diet Dew myself. That's easily the diet soda of choice. I probably drink around 32-48oz a day but I make sure every time I fill that "cup" up I finish and refill my water bottle as well. I'll usually drink 1-2 more bottles of water a day than my soda but that's still too much soda to be drinking. I just don't enjoy only drinking water all day every day. It sucks. lol It's terrible having free fountain soda at work.

$h!, it sounds like you're drinking $15 worth of caffeine a day!

Yes lol.  2 to 4 liters of soda and 2 to 3 energy drinks  BUT I haven't had a diet dew since yesterday and one energy drink yresterday and one this morning.  Had the worst freaking headache when I woke up haha.  I am trying to drink between 75 and 100 OZs of water per day and am actually enjoying my gym visits haha. 

I do dread trying to start the vaping to quit smoking, but my brother got me a nice one for Christmas so I can at least try it lol.  Also, doing the math, giving up the soda, energy drinks, and cigarettes alone should save me roughly $400 a month.  Sometimes realizing how big the small totals can add up to be is pretty staggering. 

17 minutes ago, Stew said:

Yes lol.  2 to 4 liters of soda and 2 to 3 energy drinks  BUT I haven't had a diet dew since yesterday and one energy drink yresterday and one this morning.  Had the worst freaking headache when I woke up haha.  I am trying to drink between 75 and 100 OZs of water per day and am actually enjoying my gym visits haha. 

I do dread trying to start the vaping to quit smoking, but my brother got me a nice one for Christmas so I can at least try it lol.  Also, doing the math, giving up the soda, energy drinks, and cigarettes alone should save me roughly $400 a month.  Sometimes realizing how big the small totals can add up to be is pretty staggering. 

Yeah I've heard caffeine headaches can be pretty brutal.. That's good you're enjoying your gym visits! I had a brutal leg workout yesterday... I've finally grown to not hate leg day and I kind of like it now. I think realizing the benefits has helped me out in that category.

Honestly, as douchy as vaping CAN be, they're pretty damn cool. You can get some kickass flavors aaaaand wean down the nicotine levels as well. A few friends of mine have them and I guarantee if I smoked I would want one of those to quit.

Damn, $400. It's easy to get there when $2-6 per purcase adds up pretty quick.

11 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

@dfelt--Phase two (part one) complete. Replaced the old instrument gauge lights with much brighter leds ( one was out making it necessary to replace them all). Still need to replace the HVAC lights with the same leds (hence part one lol). Still trying to locate the proper trim bezel for the radio to cover up my cutting mistake but I am at least a few more steps closer to getting this turtle to my liking (which is now at 257k miles).

IMG_4541.JPG

Damn, those lights look awesome! Are they still dimmable? And how big of a bitch was it to get back there? I can't imagine how rough that may have been.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah I've heard caffeine headaches can be pretty brutal.. That's good you're enjoying your gym visits! I had a brutal leg workout yesterday... I've finally grown to not hate leg day and I kind of like it now. I think realizing the benefits has helped me out in that category.

Honestly, as douchy as vaping CAN be, they're pretty damn cool. You can get some kickass flavors aaaaand wean down the nicotine levels as well. A few friends of mine have them and I guarantee if I smoked I would want one of those to quit.

I do my first leg day his evening after work.  eha.  i am hoping the vaping works.  It is literall the only thing I haven't tried.  i have done the gum, looseness, Patches, Nicotine inhalers, Chantix, and I even on Welbutrin right now and it doesn't make a dent in y cravings lol. 

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Damn, those lights look awesome! Are they still dimmable? And how big of a bitch was it to get back there? I can't imagine how rough that may have been.

Agree, habits can add up to be a lot of dough, great that he is working to improve and save.

Getting into the dash on the bulk of auto's is actually pretty easy as most dashes snap on and snap off. Then you have a few bolts holding the instrument cluster in place, unbolt them and you can usually get to all the lights very easily. I have found most dashes are covered by videos online now. No need to pay the dealer.

32 minutes ago, Stew said:

I am trying to drink between 75 and 100 OZs of water per day and am actually enjoying my gym visits haha. 

Cool, while water might seem bland, it actually as your body cleans out, ends up tasting better and better. Plus you have the benefit of being in a gym where one can pick up motivation from seeing others that have better bodies and drive yourself to want that too.

Plus so many nice butts to watch on cardio, legs etc. or stomaches, arms what ever drives your interest.

Been sick with the crud all week, miss not being in the gym, but damn I have been sleeping like crazy. coughing up a lung and blowing my raw nose, so rare for me.

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Agree, habits can add up to be a lot of dough, great that he is working to improve and save.

Getting into the dash on the bulk of auto's is actually pretty easy as most dashes snap on and snap off. Then you have a few bolts holding the instrument cluster in place, unbolt them and you can usually get to all the lights very easily. I have found most dashes are covered by videos online now. No need to pay the dealer.

Cool, while water might seem bland, it actually as your body cleans out, ends up tasting better and better. Plus you have the benefit of being in a gym where one can pick up motivation from seeing others that have better bodies and drive yourself to want that too.

Plus so many nice butts to watch on cardio, legs etc. or stomaches, arms what ever drives your interest.

Been sick with the crud all week, miss not being in the gym, but damn I have been sleeping like crazy. coughing up a lung and blowing my raw nose, so rare for me.

Yes there is some nice eye candy there hehe. 

Ugh, that crud has been going through everyone here  I have had it for a bit over 3 weeks and it still isn't completely gone.  Hope you get to feeling better!

20 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Did not test for dimming last night but they were actually pretty easy to get to. Only had to remove the plastic surround piece (held in by one screw) and then I just had the four screws on the cluster to deal with. The bulbs sit in easily removable sockets and it was a good thing I did this. Turned out the one bum light over my speedometer had a bad socket. I swapped that out and now I can actually see how slow I'm going on the turtle lol! I had to do this years ago in my old ES300 so I had reference for how his was going to go. 

• Agree 1

New Compass "Build&Price" is up!  2017 Compass Latitude 4X4 in Olive Green Pearl, 2.4L with six speed manual, 8 way power driver's seat and optional 17" wheel design.  $26,230!

iris.jpg

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

New Compass "Build&Price" is up!  2017 Compass Latitude 4X4 in Olive Green Pearl, 2.4L with six speed manual, 8 way power driver's seat and optional 17" wheel design.  $26,230!

iris.jpg

The new one is so much better than the outgoing, it's not even worth comparing. Love the baby GC look on it. The trail hawk is even sweeter. 

• Agree 1

On 2/25/2017 at 8:58 AM, ocnblu said:

iris.jpg

Nice Looking just wish the TRAILhawk has a power bump option or something other than just a looks package and few off road tweaks.

All TRAILhawks should have a more powerful powertrain than the rest of the lineup.

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I totally love the looks of the new Compass but only offering a n/a 4 banger sucks.

I am really hoping it gets the new FCA turbo 4, so far found only in the Guilla and Stelvio.  Ah hell, let's just put the Turbo 2.9 V6 in it haha. 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I totally love the looks of the new Compass but only offering a n/a 4 banger sucks.

1 hour ago, Stew said:

I am really hoping it gets the new FCA turbo 4, so far found only in the Guilla and Stelvio.  Ah hell, let's just put the Turbo 2.9 V6 in it haha. 

Sadly the web site for building them gives no other options for powertrain then the 4 banger with 9 speed auto tranny.

I have to say this is one area that they should have had an option at least for the Trailhawk edition.

41 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Sadly the web site for building them gives no other options for powertrain then the 4 banger with 9 speed auto tranny.

I have to say this is one area that they should have had an option at least for the Trailhawk edition.

I am thinking it ma make i as a future option.  The 2.4 is plenty fine for the average buyer, but there are those of us that want more and i hope eventually they offer something for us :)

LOL for dfelt...

skyhawk.jpg

With my employee discount, I can buy my above configured Compass for $24k.  I am thinking srsly about it.  I was all about the Trailhawk (not the Skyhawk) but really, I do not need all that.  The Latitude is fine, PLUS, SIX SPEED MANUAL!

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

LOL for dfelt...

skyhawk.jpg

With my employee discount, I can buy my above configured Compass for $24k.  I am thinking srsly about it.  I was all about the Trailhawk (not the Skyhawk) but really, I do not need all that.  The Latitude is fine, PLUS, SIX SPEED MANUAL!

So Right, Fixed now that I am not on crud drugs and half asleep. :P:roflmao: 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Just went to Jeep's configurator, and they've lost their damn minds on pricing. Throw on a few options, and you're near 35K on the Compass Trailhawk. Cool little vehicle, but HARD pass at that number. Hell, for just a few grand more, you can get a Cherokee Trailhawk with a V6!! :lol:

Yeah i just went to build one as well and Trailhawk or Lattitude you still have to add all of the same stuff. I would have thought the Trailhawk would have come with a few things other than wheels, tires, and tow hooks. I built a Latitude to nearly 33k. I guess that's still a $1500 less than my Escape MSRP'd for but that's also still a 180hp engine w/o a few things. 

• Agree 1

On 2/27/2017 at 5:37 PM, Frisky Dingo said:

Just went to Jeep's configurator, and they've lost their damn minds on pricing. Throw on a few options, and you're near 35K on the Compass Trailhawk. Cool little vehicle, but HARD pass at that number. Hell, for just a few grand more, you can get a Cherokee Trailhawk with a V6!! :lol:

Pretty much par for the course in that size category these days

On 2/28/2017 at 0:07 AM, ccap41 said:

Yeah i just went to build one as well and Trailhawk or Lattitude you still have to add all of the same stuff. I would have thought the Trailhawk would have come with a few things other than wheels, tires, and tow hooks. I built a Latitude to nearly 33k. I guess that's still a $1500 less than my Escape MSRP'd for but that's also still a 180hp engine w/o a few things. 

The escape has jumped in price since then I am sure.  Also, Trailhawk is much more than wheels, tires, and tow hooks.  it has unique front and rear fascias for increased approach and departure angles, increased ground clearance, and most importantly, the 4x4 with low range. 

Edited by Stew

1 hour ago, Stew said:

Pretty much par for the course in that size category these days

The escape has jumped in price since then I am sure.  Also, Trailhawk is much more than wheels, tires, and tow hooks.  it has unique front and rear fascias for increased approach and departure angles, increased ground clearance, and most importantly, the 4x4 with low range. 

I just built them both(Latitude not Trailhawk) and at just under 33k I think they are pretty much identical in their content other than the 2.0T. Put the 1.5T back in there and it's 31,640 for the Ford. The 1.5t is 179hp/177tq (2250rpm for the tq). Buuuut to get the auto tailgate is an additional $500 so they're about 2k apart. I didn't add either panoramic sun roof or trailer packages because they were both single add-ons. I did have to add the spare tire to the Compass though because..the Escape comes with one and, IMO, that's stupid to not have one. I didn't change either wheels as they're both 18's in Titanium and Limited form. I also added the Beats sound system as Sony's 10speaker system was w/ Sync3 & navigation.

After trying to match everything up it seems more like a $1000-1500 difference with the 1.5T or a wash w/ the 2.0T.

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well, it is ordered.  As shown.

I don't see anything pictured!

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I just built them both(Latitude not Trailhawk) and at just under 33k I think they are pretty much identical in their content other than the 2.0T. Put the 1.5T back in there and it's 31,640 for the Ford. The 1.5t is 179hp/177tq (2250rpm for the tq). Buuuut to get the auto tailgate is an additional $500 so they're about 2k apart. I didn't add either panoramic sun roof or trailer packages because they were both single add-ons. I did have to add the spare tire to the Compass though because..the Escape comes with one and, IMO, that's stupid to not have one. I didn't change either wheels as they're both 18's in Titanium and Limited form. I also added the Beats sound system as Sony's 10speaker system was w/ Sync3 & navigation.

After trying to match everything up it seems more like a $1000-1500 difference with the 1.5T or a wash w/ the 2.0T.

I don't see anything pictured!

I priced a TItanium Escape and Limited Compass and the Escape with the 1.5 was roughl 1480 cheaper.  the escape design also dates back to physical year 13 and even with the refresh some parts are outdated.  i also don't see brake assist which is on the built Compass.  Close enough that it is no big deal though. 

15 minutes ago, Stew said:

I priced a TItanium Escape and Limited Compass and the Escape with the 1.5 was roughl 1480 cheaper.  the escape design also dates back to physical year 13 and even with the refresh some parts are outdated.  i also don't see brake assist which is on the built Compass.  Close enough that it is no big deal though. 

Brake assist? That $h!'s all over their commercials! It does have it.. Along with their parking assist. does the Compass have THAT?!?!?! lol

3 minutes ago, Stew said:

Priced out the way i would want it the Trailhawk is 33,965 which is everything but the navigation, power liftgate, and leather.  Worth it considering the truly class exclusive off-road equipment. 

34k and no leather? Does it come with lube for the raping?

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well, it is ordered.  As shown.

Congrats man!  If I was looking and didn't go for a trailhawk this is pretty well how i would order except in Deep Crystal Granite.  i loved my manual transmission Patriot. 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Brake assist? That $h!'s all over their commercials! It does have it.. Along with their parking assist. does the Compass have THAT?!?!?! lol

I believe it does, not sure and yes, give me the extra ground clearance, off-road tires, better approach and departure angles, and ESPECIALLY that LOW RANGE, things not even offered in an Escape no matter how you cut it, over leather anyday.  heck, even with cloth you get heated seats and that includes all the safety gizmos and even a heated steering wheel.  IMHO, if you have a cellphone navigation is useless.  Oh, Trailhawk comes with a fullsize spare, not a mini spare. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Stew said:

Congrats man!  If I was looking and didn't go for a trailhawk this is pretty well how i would order except in Deep Crystal Granite.  i loved my manual transmission Patriot. 

I believe it does, not sure and yes, give me the extra ground clearance, off-road tires, better approach and departure angles, and ESPECIALLY that LOW RANGE, things not even offered in an Escape no matter how you cut it, over leather anyday.  heck, even with cloth you get heated seats and that includes all the safety gizmos and even a heated steering wheel.  IMHO, if you have a cellphone navigation is useless.  Oh, Trailhawk comes with a fullsize spare, not a mini spare. 

If I had somewhere to take my vehicle off road I would absolutely want those goodies more. As it is, mine would be on pavement 99.9% of the time and the other 0.01% would be grass, lol.

I agree with the navigation thing. I wouldn't pay extra for it.

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

If I had somewhere to take my vehicle off road I would absolutely want those goodies more. As it is, mine would be on pavement 99.9% of the time and the other 0.01% would be grass, lol.

I agree with the navigation thing. I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Ah, that is where we are in different circumstances.  Also, having hated cloth seats in the bug, I love them.  i have had leather nefore, but the cloth is just much more toasty and no sticky legs in the summer.  Everyone has different possibilities.  i would have it off-road at least every weekend lol. 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah, that's crazy overpriced. Hmm, do I want to pay 34K for an underpowered little 4 banger crossover, or would I spend a few grand more and get a REAL SUV- Wrangler/4Runner- that will embarrass this thing off road, has more room, more power, and about 3,000x better resale value, lol.

What a joke. Swing and a miss.

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Yeah, that's crazy overpriced. Hmm, do I want to pay 34K for an underpowered little 4 banger crossover, or would I spend a few grand more and get a REAL SUV- Wrangler/4Runner- that will embarrass this thing off road, has more room, more power, and about 3,000x better resale value, lol.

Wow, I didn't even think of the off-road alternatives. 4Runner TRD starts at 37k and what seems like an adequate and more capable Wrangler is in the 30-40k range.. being honest I'm not sure what packages are needed on the Wrangler to make it worthy but it would be dogshet to drive daily in comparison to a Compass.

Wish Jeep Compare model would actually allow you to add other Jeep models to compare. Would be interesting to see the 4x4 compass compare to a 4x4 wrangler. Yes one is FWD biased and the other is RWD bias, but still be interesting to compare.

Will say that having owned a Wrangler in the past, blast to have for off road fun, but not a daily driver especially in heavy traffic.

2 hours ago, FordCosworth said:

Never understood why some thinks it is such a great feat or bold achievement when combined sales of different brands outsell a single brand...

Goofy fanboys 

If Lincoln had figured out how to sell a Luxury Pickup Truck rather than the Blackwood Failure, you would also be combining sales.

GMC is Fords Lincoln! Your Right Ford outsells Chevy, that is pretty much due to GMC being the Luxury brand of the Pickup Line.

If Ford had figured out how to sell at even higher ATP  trucks with Lincoln, you would be having Ford with combined truck sales too.

You know this is true!

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

GMC isn't luxury though. Denali is.

Denali has Made GMC a mid luxury brand. Many people I talk to when you ask them about GMC, they say yea Denali, it is the luxury brand of Chevy products. I hear this more and more.

Lincoln wants to be a luxury brand but right now pretty much just an overpriced rebadge job of Fords.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

If Lincoln had figured out how to sell a Luxury Pickup Truck rather than the Blackwood Failure, you would also be combining sales.

GMC is Fords Lincoln! Your Right Ford outsells Chevy, that is pretty much due to GMC being the Luxury brand of the Pickup Line.

If Ford had figured out how to sell at even higher ATP  trucks with Lincoln, you would be having Ford with combined truck sales too.

You know this is true!

It was an obvious troll to the sales thread where he likes to always emphasize the Mustangs sales and the F- Series when it's convenient.  On top of that, he made the very same comparison he is criticizing others for just last month. And I quote,

"Here is a Fun Fact...

F- Series - 57,995 ( +12.5% )

All four GM models ( Silverado, Sierra, Colorado, Canyonero ) - 57,757"

So I guess the only reason for him to critical of it this month is because Ford didn't outsell GM last month. It should be noted that I pointed out MANUFACTURERS numbers (GM and Ford) and not single brands (Chevrolet and Ford for example). On a final note, it should also occur to him that I also pointed out the ONE Tahoe model outselling BOTH of the Ford full size SUVs so it was applied in reverse as well.

Edited by surreal1272

20 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Totally different vehicles though.  the Compass will run circles around the Wrangler and 4Runner on the street while getting considerably better fuel mileage while still maintaining a pretty impressive off-road capability that few will ever actually surpass.  not to mention the 34k does include things such as all the safety gizmos (lane keep, brake assist, back-up sensors, etc, etc that for the most part aren't even available on a wrangler or 4Runner.  I love the Wrangler and I would love a Willy's wheeler, but even that with just a few options matches the Compass's price and lacks many features.  A Very apples and oranges comparison.  Give up the huge sunroof and some driving aids and you could have a trailhawk right at 30k. 

15 hours ago, dfelt said:

Denali has Made GMC a mid luxury brand. Many people I talk to when you ask them about GMC, they say yea Denali, it is the luxury brand of Chevy products. I hear this more and more.

Lincoln wants to be a luxury brand but right now pretty much just an overpriced rebadge job of Fords.

I guess I just don't see the brand as a whole as luxury or mid luxury because they still sell basic work trucks and their low tier Acadias and Terrains still get cloth seating. Now the Danalis are a whole 'nother story. Those are like the Platinum Fords and are very luxurious.

Depends what you value in a vehicle to say if they're overpriced. Size, space, quietness over speed and athleticism? I will be glad when they finally change over their switchgear to Lincoln only switchgear like they did in the Continental. I think that will make the brand stand a lone much better.

18 hours ago, dfelt said:

You know this is true!

Pure speculation. By your own admission, wouldn't I add Escape and MKC sales together? and Edge/MKX, and Fusion/MKZ?

And sorry, GMC is not Ford's Lincoln. While GMC has some premium/luxury trims, GMC is not a premium/luxury division.  

3 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

Pure speculation. By your own admission, wouldn't I add Escape and MKC sales together? and Edge/MKX, and Fusion/MKZ?

And sorry, GMC is not Ford's Lincoln. While GMC has some premium/luxury trims, GMC is not a premium/luxury division.  

It's not speculation when you used the combo argument just last month. He is spot on whether you agree with it or not.