Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

4 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I have not sat in the new Slade but I have driven an '09. I felt like they leaned a little on the firm side but not in an uncomfortable way (if that makes any sense). That 6.2L was sure nice though. 

I also love the 6.2L engine. I have used it in both the V8/V4 mode and turned it off to be in just V8 mode. I have to say, I understand the V4 thing, but the engine and driving is way better in V8 all the time mode.

Seats are much firmer than in the past. I know many thought they were like a lazy boy, but for my 2006, they are awesome, firm enough to hold you in place and yet soft enough to make a long distance road trip very fun.

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I also love the 6.2L engine. I have used it in both the V8/V4 mode and turned it off to be in just V8 mode. I have to say, I understand the V4 thing, but the engine and driving is way better in V8 all the time mode.

Seats are much firmer than in the past. I know many thought they were like a lazy boy, but for my 2006, they are awesome, firm enough to hold you in place and yet soft enough to make a long distance road trip very fun.

They have definitely gotten thinner over the course of each generation. 

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

Actually I understand the dynamic just fine. Let me give you another example of the half ass approach of this ban. Why is Chechnya not on the list? We talk about banning rogue refugees but that is the home of the Boston marathon bombers. We have no real relationship with that cesspool country yet they are exempt from the list. That literally makes no sense and gives credence to the fact that this ban was just put in place to palace the feared masses (and to make it seem like he kept a campaign promise no matter whether it was actually the right thing to do). 

And again, we can get along just fine without Saudi Arabia's help, which has been like a lion helping a wounded gazelle to the nearest watering hole, right before he eats it. The oil excuse is just that, an excuse perpetrated by an industry scared of change in the name of profit. Oil is the reason for our insecurity, not terrorism. One led to the other. 

Actually we have a good line of info from this region. While we have had a strained relation with Russia they have been trading info with us on Islamic terror.

In fact the Russians warned us of the two Boston Bombers and they were missed due to a mis-spelling in the data base.

While we may not agree and we may not hold the same values the common issues are often traded between governments and countries. Another example of The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Sorry if you can not accept it but the world is not so black and while. While the Iranian Religious leaders would love to kill all of us most of the people of Iran love us and wish they could go back to what they used to have in western ways.

The lines no longer stop at boarders or governments.

This is more of a case where if an animal be it a lion or Gazelle is isolated from the water hole it will die as it can not isolate itself as it has a need to use the water.

He who controls oil prices controls the world. If the Saudis turn off the oil flow they will raise the price of oil in all markets no matter where it comes from. Just as we see now a conflict in the middle east raised the price of oil over the entire country and world. Even though only a few states in the east actually use middle east oil.

This is not a scare, you just need to do your home work on how the world really works.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, hyperv6 said:

Actually we have a good line of info from this region. While we have had a strained relation with Russia they have been trading info with us on Islamic terror.

In fact the Russians warned us of the two Boston Bombers and they were missed due to a mis-spelling in the data base.

While we may not agree and we may not hold the same values the common issues are often traded between governments and countries. Another example of The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Sorry if you can not accept it but the world is not so black and while. While the Iranian Religious leaders would love to kill all of us most of the people of Iran love us and wish they could go back to what they used to have in western ways.

The lines no longer stop at boarders or governments.

This is more of a case where if an animal be it a lion or Gazelle is isolated from the water hole it will die as it can not isolate itself as it has a need to use the water.

He who controls oil prices controls the world. If the Saudis turn off the oil flow they will raise the price of oil in all markets no matter where it comes from. Just as we see now a conflict in the middle east raised the price of oil over the entire country and world. Even though only a few states in the east actually use middle east oil.

This is not a scare, you just need to do your home work on how the world really works.

You are putting words in my mouth and I've done my homework. I never seen things in black and white but you seem to support the fact that our president does. This is why I don't generally discuss this online. You think just because my thoughts on this don't line up with yours that somehow I am ignorant and need to do my homework. I've done my homework on this for decades now so I don't need you making a passive stab at my intelligence on the matter. You don't want to agree? I'm perfectly okay with that but do not insult my intelligence just because we don't agree. That will get you nowhere. 

I will leave you with this last thought. Saudi cutting off to the world is also cutting off oil to themselves since they don't supply all of their own oil. The phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind here. That line of thinking is purely a scare tactic that would hurt them just as much, if not more, as it hurts others. 

Have a great weekend folks. 

Edited by surreal1272

29 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

You are putting words in my mouth and I've done my homework. I never seen things in black and white but you seem to support the fact that our president does. This is why I don't generally discuss this online. You think just because my thoughts on this don't line up with yours that somehow I am ignorant and need to do my homework. I've done my homework on this for decades now so I don't need you making a passive stab at my intelligence on the matter. You don't want to agree? I'm perfectly okay with that but do not insult my intelligence just because we don't agree. That will get you nowhere. 

I will leave you with this last thought. Saudi cutting off to the world is also cutting off oil to themselves since they don't supply all of their own oil. The phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind here. That line of thinking is purely a scare tactic that would hurt them just as much, if not more, as it hurts others. 

If only it really worked that way.

Have a good weekend.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

If anyone is interested in why Saudi is important to us here is a good story explaining why.

https://smaulgld.com/why-saudi-arabia-matters-in-helping-to-keep-the-u-s-dollar-as-the-worlds-reserve-currency/

So few people know or understand this. I don't believe even most schools teach this.

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Why  cant cars go back to this?

bf739ff492b57a0a0dce6ba98b8750d8.jpg

caddy-2.jpg

Love that for the cushy Float Auto's and back seats, but for the drivers, that is way too non-supportive.

I think we can get a nice mix of comfy and relaxing with support. My 2006 Escalade seat meets that.

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

Love that for the cushy Float Auto's and back seats, but for the drivers, that is way too non-supportive.

I think we can get a nice mix of comfy and relaxing with support. My 2006 Escalade seat meets that.

They will never go back to this because Grandma wanted her couch back. Then when she died we burned it so it would not hurt anyone else. 

I remember these in the day and how you had to hold yourself in place with a knee braced on the door and a death grip on the wheel. 

8 minutes ago, hyperv6 said:

They will never go back to this because Grandma wanted her couch back. Then when she died we burned it so it would not hurt anyone else. 

I remember these in the day and how you had to hold yourself in place with a knee braced on the door and a death grip on the wheel. 

well....with 55mph highway speed limits and cars like that Caddy with 305 cubic inch V8s producing at the best of times 180 horsies barely being able to achieve these speed limits anyhow...there was hardly a need to brace yourself that way...sure, the cars didnt take to curves all that well either...and floated on the concrete to make things worse for what you are talking about...but then again if in America most of the time we drive on straight roads...was there a need to really strap ourselves in like we are Gilles Villeneuve?

Ill be taking a page out of your book...like how you say about RWD cars in snow...

For ever American car seats were like living room sofas for the road..

I guess you are right...whatever you say goes...like...all the time...you know best...father.

It was a general rant, therefore accuracy was not the focal point and yes, those pics were from 1975 and 1976 Fleetwoods...but...I was referring to the 1986-1990 Fleetwood that indeed had a 305. Upon further inspection...I found out it was more of a 307. Oldsmobile Rocket 307 that I was referring to.

So as to make my rant more accurate...here goes. Not posting the D'Elegance interior either as to not get scolded again.

Related image

140 or 150HP in all its glory...

Image result for cadillac L02 V8

Now...the cars...even with 500 cubic inches..were not meant to corner...they were boulevard cruisers..I dont remember anybody clenching steering wheels and complaining about how the seats were not holding you in place back then...I do remember those drivers cruising nice and slow. Young or old. The dudes that wanted to go fast bought Trans Ams. Young or old.

I remember BMW yuppies praising bucket seats boasting about how sporty the cars were...

Funny, I drove a 1985 Olds Delta 88 with those plushy seats like the first pics I posted for a couple of years and I never once yearned for bucket seats...and I never once had to use my knee on the door. What makes it  funny is I do that with the bucket seat modern Fusion I drive on occasion...

I think the Olds was the last true bench seated car I owned and I miss those seats dearly.

18 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

If anyone is interested in why Saudi is important to us here is a good story explaining why.

https://smaulgld.com/why-saudi-arabia-matters-in-helping-to-keep-the-u-s-dollar-as-the-worlds-reserve-currency/

So few people know or understand this. I don't believe even most schools teach this.

Again with the passive insult. I understand just fine. I also understand this.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/saudi-arabia-iran-213504

(for the record, I am not supporting any stance for Iran either. This just illustrates the weakness of SA and one of many reasons why they are not really our friends.)

This,

https://warontherocks.com/2016/04/saudi-arabia-is-a-good-ally-get-real/

and most importantly this.

IMG_0036.JPG

What is even more ironic is that you support this arrangement with SA because of this supposed economic importance, but are seemingly silent on us screwing up our economy with our fourth largest trading partner, Mexico, because of a pointless wall and accompanying tariff. Which is one is going to have a more direct impact? It sure as hell ins't our supposed allies in the Middle East.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, frogger said:

I'm getting motion sickness looking at them.

Please open window and barf outside of it. Thank you

:puke: 

:roflmao: 

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

What about a Kia Niro?

Far better at corners than a cushmobile! :P

41 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Again with the passive insult. I understand just fine. I also understand this.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/saudi-arabia-iran-213504

(for the record, I am not supporting any stance for Iran either. This just illustrates the weakness of SA and one of many reasons why they are not really our friends.)

This,

https://warontherocks.com/2016/04/saudi-arabia-is-a-good-ally-get-real/

and most importantly this.

IMG_0036.JPG

What is even more ironic is that you support this arrangement with SA because of this supposed economic importance, but are seemingly silent on us screwing up our economy with our fourth largest trading partner, Mexico, because of a pointless wall and accompanying tariff. Which is one is going to have a more direct impact? It sure as hell ins't our supposed allies in the Middle East.

No insult as you have your opinion I have mine. 

If I were to insult you I would just say it you should know me by now.  I don't play games when it comes to that. 

I just found the link and it explained my point I was making. You do realize others are reading and so many really don't know the fiscal connection. I thought adding the details just might be of interest.

The link I gave explained how our money system works and was an unbiased link. That is just how it operates and why we do as we do. Not my opinion not something I agree fully with just the way it is.

Trust me if I choose to insult it would no be slight.

I never said SA are our best buddies but they are the people that control our dollar and we have to work with them like it or not. Also we do share common enemies.

We have terrorist from here too. The home grown have been th e most active as they are the hardest to find. 

To be honest as the way people have moved a terror suspect can come from anywhere but the most difficult to I'd are from countries with little to no intel. 

Edited by hyperv6
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

21 minutes ago, hyperv6 said:

To be honest as the way people have moved a terror suspect can come from anywhere but the most difficult to I'd are from countries with little to no intel. 

Yup....

Thanx for repeating what Ive said waaaay before you did.

That would be 2-3 things so far...

So...about that ban...because, like you said...a terror suspect can come from anywhere, like I said waaaaaay before you just did just now...when I dismiss the ban, yet you accept it, at least that is how I interpreted it, how does the ban work effectively against terrorists?

A small price to pay to screw innocent people I suppose!

Ignore me...its all good. I get the satisfaction that I beat you to the punch each and every time. Its all good that we both say the same thing, its just that we both interpret the info opposite. It is your right to do so as its mine.

Its the condescending nature that Surreal and I take offense to...so yeah...it would be an insult.

But hey...you and I interpret your condescending ways differently too. You may not think its condescending and I think it is...

Oh well, its just the internet anyway...

Edited by oldshurst442

14 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

Take 2...

As cushy seats from the 1970s with huge cubic inched engines did not pass...

The irony of sears like these not coming back in vogue...

It seems the Chinese want these...that pillow reminds me of that Cadillac pillow pic I posted...on a new M-B SClass Mayback... Chinese grandmas must have demanded that...

Related image

Image result for chinese lincoln continental interior

Lincoln's new Continental for Chinese market...very 1970s Cadillac blue velour interior...like the pic I posted...hmmm.

Since the luxo market is dictated by Chinese standards, I think seats similar to those grandma cars will be in style again...

But obviously I was wrong...well...these modern versions have better side support for the semantics arguments...

(and you wonder why I get pissy sometimes???!!!)

Edited by oldshurst442

25 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

B8 S4 values fell through the floor! Hmmmm......

That is the one with the V8?

I see Frisky getting one of these shortly...

Ill remember this convo when in the next 2-3-4 months from now, you will be asking us to guess what car you just bought...

1 hour ago, hyperv6 said:

No insult as you have your opinion I have mine. 

If I were to insult you I would just say it you should know me by now.  I don't play games when it comes to that. 

I just found the link and it explained my point I was making. You do realize others are reading and so many really don't know the fiscal connection. I thought adding the details just might be of interest.

The link I gave explained how our money system works and was an unbiased link. That is just how it operates and why we do as we do. Not my opinion not something I agree fully with just the way it is.

Trust me if I choose to insult it would no be slight.

I never said SA are our best buddies but they are the people that control our dollar and we have to work with them like it or not. Also we do share common enemies.

We have terrorist from here too. The home grown have been th e most active as they are the hardest to find. 

Thing is that I get what you're saying but while you accused me of not doing my homework, you failed to see that your homework leaves a lot of wanting. You basically did insult my intelligence by saying that I haven't done my homework and that I don't know how the world works. I do know though and in this case it is worked by the crooked oil industry at home and abroad. That is our ONLY real reason for keeping any sort of relationship with our few allies in the Middle East and that is a crock. Btw, they do not control our dollar. China does. That is just another excuse given by folks to justify keeping a relationship with a country that supplied the people responsible for the worst attack on American soil. 

What I have found most interesting in all of this that you tiptoed around my other example, Chechnya. Hell, throw in Pakistan while we are at it. What kind of working relationship and intel is being provided by those two winners? 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

That is the one with the V8?

I see Frisky getting one of these shortly...

Ill remember this convo when in the next 2-3-4 months from now, you will be asking us to guess what car you just bought...

That gen uses the sweet 3.0 supercharged V6. My wife has wanted one for a few years now, but values have recently come down greatly.

15 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

That gen uses the sweet 3.0 supercharged V6. My wife has wanted one for a few years now, but values have recently come down greatly.

Oh yeah! Now I picture it! Not hard to picture it as its the out going model. I thought you was talking about the 2005 version.

Well, good luck to you in finding a nice one for your wifey!

Edited by oldshurst442

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Thing is that I get what you're saying but while you accused me of not doing my homework, you failed to see that your homework leaves a lot of wanting. You basically did insult my intelligence by saying that I haven't done my homework and that I don't know how the world works. I do know though and in this case it is worked by the crooked oil industry at home and abroad. That is our ONLY real reason for keeping any sort of relationship with our few allies in the Middle East and that is a crock. Btw, they do not control our dollar. China does. That is just another excuse given by folks to justify keeping a relationship with a country that supplied the people responsible for the worst attack on American soil. 

What I have found most interesting in all of this that you tiptoed around my other example, Chechnya. Hell, throw in Pakistan while we are at it. What kind of working relationship and intel is being provided by those two winners? 

I just do not agree and that is all. I can back up what I state on the reason that is based on the Dollar. You don't agree and that is fine.

As for why the other counties are not included I covered the before.

Chechnya is not a problem because even with our issues with Russia we and they share intell on the actors in the country we may have issues with Russia but both our countries have the same enemy so here again we share intel. They warned us on the Boston bombers but a miss spelling on their name left them missed when they came in. Home Land Security messed up.

Pakasistan also shares info and we have channel to sort out who is who. 

We can not do this in places like Syria that is caos right now as is the western part of Iraq. Same applies to Yemen and the others have no open channels for intel hence the 90 days till we open things up to all but Syria. 

If you were to believe the new they want to hold this as a ban on Islam counties but the truth it is only a delay on those we have little trade of info with.

Relations with counties like Russia and others can be cold but that does not mean we have no cooperation in other areas. Like here we may not agree here but we will agree or converse on another thread. That is just how diplomacy works with most contries. Now with the far out like Iran an ISSI they have little deplomecy as they are lead by blind radical religious beliefs that prevent this. 

Look we are both rehashing this but I respectfully disagree with you and hope you would do the same in kind. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

I just do not agree and that is all. I can back up what I state on the reason that is based on the Dollar. You don't agree and that is fine.

As for why the other counties are not included I covered the before.

Chechnya is not a problem because even with our issues with Russia we and they share intell on the actors in the country we may have issues with Russia but both our countries have the same enemy so here again we share intel. They warned us on the Boston bombers but a miss spelling on their name left them missed when they came in. Home Land Security messed up.

We can not do this in places like Syria that is caos right now as is the western part of Iraq. Same applies to Yemen and the others have no open channels for intel hence the 90 days till we open things up to all but Syria. 

If you were to believe the new they want to hold this as a ban on Islam counties but the truth it is only a delay on those we have little trade of info with.

Relations with counties like Russia and others can be cold but that does not mean we have no cooperation in other areas. Like here we may not agree here but we will agree or converse on another thread. That is just how diplomacy works with most contries. Now with the far out like Iran an ISSI they have little deplomecy as they are lead by blind radical religious beliefs that prevent this. 

Look we are both rehashing this but I respectfully disagree with you and hope you would do the same in kind. 

Like I said earlier, I can agree to disagree but don't insult my intelligence with silly things like me not doing my homework because honestly I am just seeing excuses in regards to now three countries that are not on the ban list that should be. For example, you claim we share intel with Chechnya but they have vocally criticized western intel. Sorry but that is not the sign of a willing ally. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rt.com/document/100000000000001000229871/amp?client=safari

My point the whole time is this is a PR related half measure meant to placate the folks who voted him in. After what happened in Canada last week, I think we should ban white Canadians from traveling to this country. 

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

WRONG!!!

Remember this iconic moment?

Image result for obama and hillary when osama bin laden died

Well...Pakistan knew about Ben Laden's whereabouts...since the runt was hiding there,  yet Pakistan did not divulge anything nor did they know about this raid for fear of Pakistan warning him...

And the US had to ditch a new technology heli in haste...

Image result for downed Blackhawk during bin laden raid

because Pakistan aint exctly on the up and up about shyte...and many terrorists have Pakistan as their ally even if they arent necessarily Pakistani themselves...

Its good that you have your opinion...keep it...it serves you well...

Edited by oldshurst442

4 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Enjoyed going to the beach today...though it was 30 degrees and sunny w/ snow on the ground.  Edgewater Park, Cleveland on the Lake Erie shore...

If you think that was fun I think the Portage Lakes are having a Polar Bear Plunge Sunday. The ice is not that thick. Lol!

Edited by hyperv6
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

We also shared (and continue to share) a ton of intel with three of those countries on the list but we will just ignore that simple little fact. 

Dude I am done since you can not let go of being so called disrespected. That was not my intent as if I was going to call you stupid I would have no issue using the word stupid.

It gets difficult to debate if one of two parties take too personal. 

I have said and made my case. Sorry if you took my comment not in the context that I intended. 

Done. 

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Are we any closer to spring yet???:o

Nope Mr. Ground Hog saw his shadow and predicts 6 more weeks of winter past the end. :P

Bring on the powder and skiing! :D

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Duh I can't figure out how to get into the sales ticker section to comment.  I wanted to defend F.I.A.T. - they must be doing something right, they've been around making automobiles since 1899, FFS.

https://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/topic/88095-january-2017-fca-us-llc/

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Duh I can't figure out how to get into the sales ticker section to comment.  I wanted to defend F.I.A.T. - they must be doing something right, they've been around making automobiles since 1899, FFS.

Nope, no defending Sergio! ;):P

49 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Thanks for the link, Moltie, but when I go there I see no comment window.  It is the same for all the threads in the sales ticker section.

That's weird..I see multiple comments on that one, and if I scroll to the bottom, I see 'Reply to this topic' like on any other thread.  There is also the blue-green 'Reply to this topic' button in the upper right at the top. Maybe you are blocked from commenting? ;)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

On 2/4/2017 at 7:30 PM, hyperv6 said:

Dude I am done since you can not let go of being so called disrespected. That was not my intent as if I was going to call you stupid I would have no issue using the word stupid.

It gets difficult to debate if one of two parties take too personal. 

I have said and made my case. Sorry if you took my comment not in the context that I intended. 

Done. 

Don't put words in my mouth. I did not accuse you of calling me stupid. When you tell someone they haven't done their homework because their view doesn't align with yours, you are most certainly insulting ones intelligence. You further that by sidestepping the fact that we share intel with a at least a few of those countries, including the one WE invaded like Iraq. You have hung your hat on the lists exclusions based on the fact that they share intel with us (like Chechnya). Well so does Iraq, even more so in fact since they have spent the last 13 years fighting along side our troops and sharing vast amounts of intel. The fact that this is ignored is very telling and shows that maybe it was you who did not do your homework. Again, my stand is that this ban is nothing more than a glorified PR stunt and his tactics the first two weeks of office have shown his complete disregard for the checks and balances of the three branches of the US government (one of which he has spent a considerable amount or Twitter time insulting). 

Oh and thanks again coward (and no I'm not talking about you Hyper).

Edited by surreal1272
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Oh and thanks again coward (and no I'm not talking about you Hyper).

So if he had sent an actual message via the internet that would make him a man?  Or calling somebody names on the internet makes somebody a man? Just trying to figure out this internet "coward"-ness.

I'd love to see you two meet in person. Guarantee with your love for each other you'd end up kissing in the back seat of an Uber on your way to one of each other's hotel rooms, if it wasn't the same room to begin with.

• Agree 3