Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

Drove a nice little 2006 CTS-V we have yesterday (only 3x,xxx miles), and really enjoyed it. One thing I love about my job is all of the obscure and older cars I get to drive, and this is one instance. Sounded fantastic (aftermarket exhaust), great positive shifter, nice clutch feel, well-sorted chassis. Made me miss my old GTO, which it reminded me of in many ways. The steering, although precise, is really numb, and that plastic fantastic interior is dated, but damn if it wouldn't make a fun little sporty DD. I have to say, I like the earlier LS6 cars a bit better, though.

22 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Does anybody subscribe to Carfax?

Nope, I figure if a dealership is honorable and wants my money, then they will pay for Carfax on each and every one of the auto's on their lot. Price of doing business or to earn my business.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Nope, I figure if a dealership is honorable and wants my money, then they will pay for Carfax on each and every one of the auto's on their lot. Price of doing business or to earn my business.

Oh I've always gotten one with a purchase but I was hoping to not have to drive like and hour and a half to get to the dealer.

It's an hour and 41 minutes from my house via googlemaps. 109 miles.

I could always just tell them I kind of need to see it before driving that far or considering the car too.

Edited by ccap41

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Oh I've always gotten one with a purchase but I was hoping to not have to drive like and hour and a half to get to the dealer.

Most Dealers now offer the Carfax right on their own web site. Check and see if the auto you want is also covered with carfax on their web site.

28 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Most Dealers now offer the Carfax right on their own web site. Check and see if the auto you want is also covered with carfax on their web site.

Great call! They had the "auto check" that is essentially the same..I think.. for free.

This is what I currently have my eyes on..CAR

Edited by ccap41

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Great call! They had the "auto check" that is essentially the same..I think.. for free.

Yup, Auto check is carfax for free. They want to show they have integrity and sell the auto for quick turn over, this is a good thing for you and them.

I know the dealerships I have bought from all have had the auto check aka carfax always listed.

Glad I could help you find what you are looking for.

13 hours ago, ocnblu said:

LOL n00bs.  Carfax is FAR from perfect.  Basically a gimmick.

Yes, please explain a better way to get information on a vehicle that you did not own from the beginning?

It lets you know if the vehicle was in an accident or insurance claims against it along with maintenance. Personally, the maintenance side isn't an issue as I prefer doing my own work which wouldn't be on them anyway nor am I buying a car with 100k miles so under 40k miles There isn't a whole lot of required maintenance other than oil changes.

22 hours ago, ccap41 said:

This is what I currently have my eyes on..CAR

That is a sweet looking car, decent price for such low miles.

Carfax is only as good as the information it can gather about a vehicle.  Some insurance companies don't share crash data with Carfax.  If a person pays cash to have crash repairs done, there is no way Carfax can know that.  For a recent example, I had a young lady come in for an estimate on her Escape she bought from a local Carmax, minor damage to a fender... but I would have normally written to blend into the front door... except it had a terrible paint job on it, along with the rear door and the quarter panel.  There was also evidence of center post repair, which is definitely a structural part.  When I told her about it, she was shocked and dismayed... the vehicle was purchased with a clean Carfax.

I was involved in two accidents with my 2007 GMC Sierra, one involved pulling sway out of the front of the frame... neither of those accidents showed up on Carfax even though they were insurance claims.

Best way to ease your mind about a used vehicle purchase is have a good body tech go along with you to check it out.  There are all sorts of telltale signs that a layperson might not spot.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

Nice car. Wheels are terrible. Love white-ish interiors. Pain for upkeep, though.

On a side note, I finally got a chance to drive a 991 911 w/ PDK a few days ago. It was a base non-S coupe with light options. Only 991 PDK I'd driven prior was a Turbo S Cab. So I was very intrigued by how it would drive. And in truth, I was a bit let down. The 7MT is vastly more enjoyable to drive. The PDK's road manners are impeccable, and the shift time and response cannot be faulted, but it just didn't fit the character of the car. Also, rather than true paddles like a Fezza (or even my GTI for that matter), it had the stupid little wings on the steering wheel you push forward for upshifts, pull back for downshifts. Which is backwards, btw. The shifter is as well, mirroring the forward for upshifts, back for downshifts. You'd think Porsche of all people would get this right. Mazda does, after all.

Anywho, long story short, PDK killed the car for me, and would definitely be a deal breaker if I were shopping one. Manual or bust. Also, I although I love the newer styling and improved interior, I think I like the 997 cars a little better. I'd like to drive a 991.2 w/ PDK and all the Sport goodies to see if it can make a case for it.

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Nice car. Wheels are terrible. Love white-ish interiors. Pain for upkeep, though.

I actually dig the wheels. I've always liked that "style". While it's an OEM and nothing special I like this design over their "snowflake" designs. I actually don't like light interiors but because this is just the seats I think it looks awesome. And they're leather so they can't be that tough to keep clean, right? 

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

On a side note, I finally got a chance to drive a 991 911 w/ PDK a few days ago. It was a base non-S coupe with light options. Only 991 PDK I'd driven prior was a Turbo S Cab. So I was very intrigued by how it would drive. And in truth, I was a bit let down. The 7MT is vastly more enjoyable to drive. The PDK's road manners are impeccable, and the shift time and response cannot be faulted, but it just didn't fit the character of the car. Also, rather than true paddles like a Fezza (or even my GTI for that matter), it had the stupid little wings on the steering wheel you push forward for upshifts, pull back for downshifts. Which is backwards, btw. The shifter is as well, mirroring the forward for upshifts, back for downshifts. You'd think Porsche of all people would get this right. Mazda does, after all.

Anywho, long story short, PDK killed the car for me, and would definitely be a deal breaker if I were shopping one. Manual or bust. Also, I although I love the newer styling and improved interior, I think I like the 997 cars a little better. I'd like to drive a 991.2 w/ PDK and all the Sport goodies to see if it can make a case for it.

Bummer the PDK was a let down but I would think that car would be amazing with their 7spd manual. It just seems like the "right" thing for such a sporty car. 

Oh, did you get any ice that way yesterday?? Way over in IL it was just wet all night..

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I actually dig the wheels. I've always liked that "style". While it's an OEM and nothing special I like this design over their "snowflake" designs. I actually don't like light interiors but because this is just the seats I think it looks awesome. And they're leather so they can't be that tough to keep clean, right? 

Bummer the PDK was a let down but I would think that car would be amazing with their 7spd manual. It just seems like the "right" thing for such a sporty car. 

Oh, did you get any ice that way yesterday?? Way over in IL it was just wet all night..

We really only got ice on the trees, lines, parked cars, etc. The streets were salted so heavily they never iced over. My GTI has been in the garage all week, and I'm just dying to drive it. Much as I love my xB and 4Runner they don't provide that same release my VW does, haha. Hopefully this warmer rain coming next week will wash all the salt away, and then it will dry out. Plus, we got an F Type in that I need to take for a spin. :D

9 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

A dealer isn't going to care how much cash you are putting down with regards to their selling price. The less you finance, the less reason they have to deal. Idk why this misconception continues to linger.

I think this ideology comes from a time when people actually saved up their money and actually bought their cars cash. If they were missing a few bucks here and there (wink wink) they would get the car that much less off sticker...

Buyer: "Car is 5000. I got 4000, that is all I got. Take it or leave it."

Dealer: "Give me 4500 and the car is yours"

Buyer: "Ill invade my kids piggy bank, Im sure Ill only find 200...so 4200.

Dealer: "Deal!"

When financing a car started becoming more popular and back then, it wasn't easy to get a loan, I guess the more money you had, the more chances the dealer did not want to let go of you, so the buyer had an upper hand, but today, lending people money is the norm...

Lending people money is the ONLY way people buy cars today...

I guess, the opposite is true today, the more you are willing to put down, the less the dealer is willing to cut you a deal...LOL!!!

I mean, if you wanna buy a car, you cant cry poverty if you are buying it cash...say you really really wanna buy THIS car with no money down, he might feel sorry for you...

But then again....leases is what you will put you under...ask you how much per month you can afford and the sticker price at that point in time is irrelevant...or force you on a smaller less expensive car.

You want an Impala for Cruize prices...

If a lease wont get you into an Impala, then a Malibu lease definitely will!!!  Without haggling sticker prices on either car as the focus is how much per month can the buyer afford...

Edited by oldshurst442

12 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

A dealer isn't going to care how much cash you are putting down with regards to their selling price. The less you finance, the less reason they have to deal. Idk why this misconception continues to linger.

That was my thought as well. Unless it was 100% paid in cash to the point they are getting their money NOW but either way they'd be getting a check from the finance company for the full price. 

Either way.. what is your opinion on what I should ask for and pay for that?

55 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That was my thought as well. Unless it was 100% paid in cash to the point they are getting their money NOW but either way they'd be getting a check from the finance company for the full price. 

Either way.. what is your opinion on what I should ask for and pay for that?

I'd be surprised if they have more than $1,500 of markup in that car. That's all I'll say. 

There is no heart-ache after this loss. Like in past losses since about a decade plus...

It stings. Its disappointing, but there is no bitterness.

Im pissed. Only at the 1st half, especially in the 1st quarter.

Im happy. Im sad. Im giddy. Im deflated.

There is no Jessica Simpson to blame it on, there are however shyty phoquing penalties to whine about.

But what a comeback.

But what a phoqing competitor Aaron is. He may be my favorite after Prescot (and Romo)

What a catch. (3 phoquing seconds left!!!:()

Good game.

See ya next year!

Oh...Ill be watching the Super Bowl, nothing will change that.

Edited by oldshurst442

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

November 19, 1957 stock prices ~

General Motors : $35.70
Ford Motor Co : $42.60
Chrysler : $68.20
International Harvestor : $29.10
Studebaker-Packard : $3.70

How many splits, acquisitions, or other corporate actions have happened since then for those companies?

OK, I am putting EVERYONE on notice that My 2017 officially SUCKS! If I am short or snippy it is because I spent last weekend at the Hospital after my mom had a heart issue and got two stints. Just got to work as my sisters took over after I spent the night at the hospital again as my mom had a stroke yesterday.

Fuck 2017! This year officially SUCKS! :angry:

Sorry to hear this.
Been there with my Dad in a nursing home for nearly 8 years and then several years with my Mom in a home and with cancer.

I am not sure how my dad did it, He was paralyzed from the waste down sports injuries from years before @ age 35. Still retired with 30 plus years at Goodyear and then had a stroke when they went to take one of his legs for poor circulation. He has a stroke and only could use his left hand.

His speech was messed up but his mind was clear. We could sit and talk and have some of the craziest conversations but we understood each other.

I am glad for this time as we were not always on the same program. We cleared a lot of issues out of our relationship. He also hung on long enough my son was able to remember him. I know now how proud he was of me and me of him. We would have missed that otherwise.

Some people dis religion but I saw it in my dad and it was true and honest faith not the kind smiling preachers from Texas sell. It gave him peace few would have with all he went through in his life and I saw the effect on others around him.

Good luck with all that is going on. Most strokes are not like they used to be and with thinners most people fully recover. My buddies dad had one and he fully recovered.  So did my grandmother.

9 hours ago, dfelt said:

OK, I am putting EVERYONE on notice that My 2017 officially SUCKS! If I am short or snippy it is because I spent last weekend at the Hospital after my mom had a heart issue and got two stints. Just got to work as my sisters took over after I spent the night at the hospital again as my mom had a stroke yesterday.

f@#k 2017! This year officially SUCKS! :angry:

My heart is with you Mr. DFELT

tumblr_ml0gbclVnO1rp3tbho1_500.gif

Thank you all for your wishes and my heart out to you all dealing with senior parents. Never easy. Just got home from the hospital. The MRI's have shown she had a total of 3 mini strokes. Doctors say she will fully recover with therapy and that it was caused by the stints they put in  which causes minor blood vessels to reopen breaking the calcification causing the strokes. They are monitoring her to make sure no more complications as they also start therapy.

Off to shower and back to work and plenty of caffeine. Crash this weekend when my sister stay with her. Sadly neither of my sisters can push through multiple days of staying awake with caffeine like me.

Have a great Day to those excited for the new Prez and my condolences to those that feel this is a Dumb and Dumber Inauguration. 

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:52 AM, dfelt said:

f@#k 2017! This year officially SUCKS! :angry:

Damn, I'm sorry bud.. That's a rough start to the year, that's for sure.

Good to hear she is doing better!

18 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Yeah not cool when we reach a certain age and we have to start worrying about our parents.

The change comes when you become your parents parent. It changed from you taking guidance from them to you giving them the guidance.

The worry get to where when ever the phone rang after 10 PM the first thing you think is what went wrong.

While all that was going on with my parents my Mother in law got pancreatic cancel. We had her and my father in the same hospital in ICU at the same time,.. All I could tell people was at least we are getting two for one parking.

She got over it and has thrived. She was lucky I noticed at dinner she looked yellow and they checked and a tumor was pressing her bile duct. If not for that she would have probably died.

Now we have a Cousin in law who is only in his 40's and was just given a 30% chance with Cancer.

Getting old is not for sissies.  

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Thank you all for your wishes and my heart out to you all dealing with senior parents. Never easy. Just got home from the hospital. The MRI's have shown she had a total of 3 mini strokes. Doctors say she will fully recover with therapy and that it was caused by the stints they put in  which causes minor blood vessels to reopen breaking the calcification causing the strokes. They are monitoring her to make sure no more complications as they also start therapy.

Off to shower and back to work and plenty of caffeine. Crash this weekend when my sister stay with her. Sadly neither of my sisters can push through multiple days of staying awake with caffeine like me.

Have a great Day to those excited for the new Prez and my condolences to those that feel this is a Dumb and Dumber Inauguration. 

Just make sure to take care of your self and your sister. Too often the stress can do damage to you. Make sure to eat and sleep as best you can as you getting sick or in an accident is not going to make things better.

I have seen so many family members decline in their own health due to the stress.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, hyperv6 said:

Just make sure to take care of your self and your sister. Too often the stress can do damage to you. Make sure to eat and sleep as best you can as you getting sick or in an accident is not going to make things better.

I have seen so many family members decline in their own health due to the stress.

Howdy all, So doctors are coming in a bit to tell us the game plan.

I totally agree about taking care of myself. I have already built a schedule for family and friends that have offered to stay with my mom in 8hr shifts.

I am sleeping tonight and since I did the bulk of the stay with mom, everyone told me to take tomorrow off. So Skiing I go to get a good burn and work out. To bed tonight for a decent night sleep, ski and then after I get back home check in with the family.

Wishing you all the best with your own family and Friends and hoping for a better flow as we move on with 2017. :)

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Howdy all, So doctors are coming in a bit to tell us the game plan.

I totally agree about taking care of myself. I have already built a schedule for family and friends that have offered to stay with my mom in 8hr shifts.

I am sleeping tonight and since I did the bulk of the stay with mom, everyone told me to take tomorrow off. So Skiing I go to get a good burn and work out. To bed tonight for a decent night sleep, ski and then after I get back home check in with the family.

Wishing you all the best with your own family and Friends and hoping for a better flow as we move on with 2017. :)

Thanks!

It is good you have lots of family. My wife and I are only children so you either do it or you don't. Well there is no choice there.

Note doctors are often hard to find and get info out of. Make a list of questions before they come so you don't forget anything.

The fact she had the mini stroke in the hospital was good as they could get the blood thinners in her. Now be aware they may keep her on them and that will be a whole new deal there. Just follow their guidelines and do not shrug off even minor things like if she falls and things go pretty well.

We went though so much I could almost diagnose many things anymore. LOL!

It was funny but late in the deal on our parents we could almost tell the doctor what the issues were before they even would check them out. You get to know things after a while and we did not have to stay in a Holiday INN express either.

• Agree 1

Sent my old '64 Catalina down the road today. Going to donate it's power train & frame in the restoration of a '64 GP.
She was a strong runner 20 years ago and I enjoyed the hell out of driving something that old then as a daily/only vehicle.
Would like to pick up a clean Cat coupe in the future...

642369.jpg

^^^

Is that a final pic? I mean, the flatbed tow truck in the background is there to take her away?

Both sad and happy moments!

Sad as you wont be having your Catalina.

Happy as a Grand Prix gets to live.

GREAT as you are donating the frame and power train for somebody else's dream  to come true!

From the 2 years Ive been here, Im 100% positive you will be acquiring a Catalina coupe sometime in the future. And I am happy as of now for you when you will get one back!

Yes- a 'final day' pic. A bunch have gone down this same driveway over the years.

I should temper the comment on getting a Cat coupe; I already own a '64 GP myself. My buddy & I have been talking about what it would need to get driving again (it's a 56K mile original and has been in the garage all the while the Cat was outside). 

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Just something about it being both green and small just throws me off somehow....

Needs to be out in the wild!

Just the fact that it is based on a Fiat should make people run like hell.

• Agree 3