Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

17 hours ago, FordCosworth said:

You might want to look up the workings of democracy in islamic nations...

For instance, here's a lesson on the Republic of Iran.

The Supreme Leader picks who runs for presidency

All women and minority religious groups, including sunni muslims ( Iran is shia ) , are barred from being elected president. 

Your link to " islamic democracy " nations, is an opinion piece, just like my input, yours, Drew etc etc...

When one, like that author, states " I dismissed, I didn't include, I omitted " etc etc, he is basing his article on his opinion  

Truth, and the freedom to criticize religious and political authority, are the central pillars of democracy. Try criticizing islam in those " democratic " islamic nations and see what that gets you 

Again, refer to my statement whereas I said that this country isn't even a democracy. We are a representative republic so the argument was pure fallacy from the get go.

Shall I show you Christianity's own history of folks that criticized the church? It's a rather extensive list. Again, feel free to ask the Native American population about what happened to their ancestors when they didn't choose the Christian god. Democratic my ass.

BTW, regarding your statement about the author and his opinion, at least they go into actual details about their stance whereas you have provided nothing but Trump like hyperbole. You also failed to see the point of my example in the first place. He asked for proof of democracies and I provided it. Now, he also said show one with the freedoms we enjoy and that is the fallacy part of his statement and yours. LGBT don't enjoy the same freedoms here and have been killed for being who they are, in this country. Women are still not equal on many levels as men (wage gap is a prime example) and the religious right is still trying to tell everyone else what to do with their bodies and whom they do it with in their own bedroom. That is not freedom. That is not equality. That is not democracy. You simply cannot tell me otherwise given the actual facts. Democracy in this country is a front.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Day Time Driving Lights!

What is the problem with all Auto companies making this a standard?

Driving up to ski yesterday and back home both at Twilight, it was amazing how many auto's seem to NOT have Day Time Driving Lights and Auto On lights.

I say BS to the bulk of the nanny devices like auto braking, lane drift monitoring, but one thing I wish was required is Day Time driving lights and auto on head lights.

Seems Toyota is the worst offender, along with Subaru. I could be wrong and they might have this feature and the idiot owners just have it off but damn, it is hard to see some of these auto's at twilights especially when they are grey, black or any other dark color that can fad into that light spectrum. 

Just cause they think they can see good, does not mean others can or when in a hurry they must think they are hidding from the cops or some other dumb reason.

Really wish all auto's had Day time driving lights and autoon lights. Tired of Prius owners getting on the road with no lights at all on or just marker lights and driving cause they are too stupid to notice that the road is not lite up and then they cut you off and almost cause an accident.

:Toyota: :nono: :fryingpan:

I'm not a proponent of DSLs, and I appreciate I am able to turn my headlights off if I decide the lighting conditions don't warrant them. A pet peeve, if you will. When the headlights come on automatically in broad daylight, I am irked.

I have in conditions of dusk used running lamps before it was dark enough to use headlamps. 

- - - - -

Delayed road trip to check out a '66 Toronado for sale is on for tomm. Checklist checked, truck loaded, truck plugged in for the night… hopefully it turns out to be worth the trip.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 3

^ I've seen that also, but have never done it myself. My trucks' DSLs (when they worked) are not the headlights; you aren't going to think their illumination is headlights either… thats the only way DSLs should be, IMO- enough light so others can see you, but not enough to illuminate your path. Making them basically low beams was a stupid, cost-cutting move IMO.

I see plenty of cars driving in full on dark with ZERO lights on, and I have seen that their dashes are dark also. But it's like Reno in central Jersey; I guess it's possible for the oblivious. 

Edited by balthazar

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I see plenty of cars driving in full on dark with ZERO lights on, and I have seen that their dashes are dark also. But it's like Reno in central Jersey; I guess it's possible for the oblivious. 

I've seen plenty of that here in Phoenix also...the drivers usually are too focused on their phones or tablets to notice...(can see the glowing screens).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I've seen so many people with DRLs/DSLs forget to turn on their lights after dark...driving around w/ them on but no taillights on..

Same here. I think it's a common thing with Phoenix drivers especially. It just makes them lazy and I am not a fan of them at all.

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I've seen plenty of that here in Phoenix also...the drivers usually are too focused on their phones or tablets to notice...(can see the glowing screens).

And this^^

• Agree 1

The ID Buzz just made me think of something:  electric vehicles should have their charging receptacles in a standard spot on the body.  This is especially important since ppl will be plugging them in in their garages and it needs to be in proximity to the outlet they spent money to have installed.  So the Bolt and Volt have theirs on the left fender.  ID Buzz has his on the passenger rear side panel, and Leaf's is front end center, IIRC.  This standardization is even more important than gas tank filler location for obvious reasons.  I would rather have the receptacle on the left fender like GM is doing because it is convenient to getting in the vehicle for that trip to the mailbox.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Stew said:

Very true.  Of course here I don't feel like the few days i does snow is enough to justify the investment in winter tires. 

That's exactly how I feel as well. If I were further north and had true snowy winters like upstate NY, Wisconsin, Minn..etc. I would definitely invest in two sets of tires.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That's exactly how I feel as well. If I were further north and had true snowy winters like upstate NY, Wisconsin, Minn..etc. I would definitely invest in two sets of tires.

Very true.  And Olds or somebody from the north of our border, isn't it illegal to not run snow tires in the winter in parts of Canada?

2 minutes ago, Stew said:

Very true.  And Olds or somebody from the north of our border, isn't it illegal to not run snow tires in the winter in parts of Canada?

Definitely the law in Quebec.  Not in other provinces here AFAIK.  I've been running them for about a decade now. 

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

@Stew@frogger

Yup. Mandatory snow tires from Dec. 15 to March 15. in Quebec.

Hey frogger: I was under the impression that Ontario was tinkering with the idea of making it a law for mandatory snow tires in the winter. Its not happening?

Hasn't been mentioned in the news lately, though there was talk of it last winter.  I'm guessing Wynne thinks it will hurt her popularity due to people complaining about the expense, and she can ill afford that.

Posts online of first BOLT owners if very positive indeed! :D

http://insideevs.com/first-chevrolet-bolt-owner-videos-hit-youtube/

http://www.mychevybolt.com/

Cool Pictures of new bolt owners and comments.

• Agree 1

Drove 6.5 hrs round trip today to scope this baby out with a buddy of mine. Body & interior were very nice, nicer than you could expect on an unrestored 50 yr old car. 1 split in front seat, EXC door panels, headliner, uncracked dash, A/C, PW, PSeats, AM/FM, Pant, tilt & telescopic, factory Olds mats.
Unfortunately the cooling system was half full, and of ice, not a single electrical thing could be coaxed to flicker, PS pump was empty, brake booster was frozen. It might as well have been an artfully painted cardboard cut-out of a '66 Toronado. Came home empty. 

DSC04796.JPG

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Drove 6.5 hrs round trip today to scope this baby out with a buddy of mine. Body & interior were very nice, nicer than you could expect on an unrestored 50 yr old car. 1 split in front seat, EXC door panels, headliner, uncracked dash, A/C, PW, PSeats, AM/FM, Pant, tilt & telescopic, factory Olds mats.
Unfortunately the cooling system was half full, and of ice, not a single electrical thing could be coaxed to flicker, PS pump was empty, brake booster was frozen. It might as well have been an artfully painted cardboard cut-out of a '66 Toronado. Came home empty. 

DSC04796.JPG

Lovely looking car, must have run recently as it is parked with a fairly new BMW X5 behind it.

Nah- seller had a tow truck come out to pull it from where the bmw is, then snuck the bmw behind it. Didn't even bother to pump up the tire first. Seller claimed it was driving 3 years ago, but it has conventional plates on it from 2000 and a 1999 failed inspection sticker in the window. 

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Nah- seller had a tow truck come out to pull it from where the bmw is, then snuck the bmw behind it. Didn't even bother to pump up the tire first. Seller claimed it was driving 3 years ago, but it has conventional plates on it from 2000 and a 1999 failed inspection sticker in the window. 

How much where they asking? If tight and clean, not worth flushing everything out in the spring time and seeing it if would fire up?

Am I the only one a bit let down by the Detroit Auto Show? In fact, I'm more than a bit let down. Might as well have been called the Detroit CUV Show. I know it's the trend right now but all of these CUVs just bore me and as a result, the Detroit show bored me.

@balthazar

I guess there is a limit to one's passion. This car needs deep pockets to restore her back to life. Right?  (And lots of time and energy I bet...)

Just for the fact that you drove 6.5 hours...400-500 some odd miles just to check her out impresses me. In the winter no less...

She does look good though.

It would be a shame if the crusher got a hold of her.

Edited by oldshurst442

1 minute ago, Stew said:

Not a great day.  One of those times I wonder if life is even worth it any more.  1 step forward is always 30 steps back. 

It pains me when my brain damaged and partially physically disabled ( massive head trauma from snowboarding accident when he was a teen ) step brother has more optimism and a positive outlook than " regular " people.

Day in day out, his life is a challenge. Yet his chin is up.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

14 hours ago, balthazar said:

DSC04796.JPG

I love the low PSI Whitewall Drag Radial on the non drive wheel

;)

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Stew said:

Not a great day.  One of those times I wonder if life is even worth it any more.  1 step forward is always 30 steps back. 

Remember Stew, the Cup is always half full and life is full of options and opportunities. Today might suck, tomorrow might blow, but life with each and everyone unique individual is an awesome day filled with learning and seeing things from each others perspective.

Hang in there, life always gets better and something new and exciting is always happening! :metal: 

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Remember Stew, the Cup is always half full and life is full of options and opportunities. Today might suck, tomorrow might blow, but life with each and everyone unique individual is an awesome day filled with learning and seeing things from each others perspective.

Hang in there, life always gets better and something new and exciting is always happening! :metal: 

I hope so.  not totally down and out yet, but I honestly can't take another year like last year. 

And it pains me when people make blanket "feel bad for me and ask why" posts. Just say what's wrong. You're asking for somebody to say "what happened?".. Just say it.

It's like Facebook posts saying, "That feeling when you want to punch holes in the drywall"

That was a post of a good friend of mine the other day. I hate that crap. Say what you're pissed about.

I did not respond to his post, fyi.

• Agree 1

So, Should Suicide Doors come back into the Auto Market?

Seems more and more OEMs are having them on concepts, but then they never seem to make it into production. 

Should they come back into production?

Is the safety less on these types of doors?

Suicide versus Gullwing doors, which one makes more sense?

Sound Off Peeps! :deathwatch:

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

And it pains me when people make blanket "feel bad for me and ask why" posts. Just say what's wrong. You're asking for somebody to say "what happened?".. Just say it.

It's like Facebook posts saying, "That feeling when you want to punch holes in the drywall"

That was a post of a good friend of mine the other day. I hate that crap. Say what you're pissed about.

I did not respond to his post, fyi.

Again, that is trying to equate your situation with someone else's. I see what you're saying and it can drive me batty too but there is no solution in berating someone over it like some have just done here. It has never solved a damn thing and it just makes those same people look like giant A-holes. For the record, I am not referring to you because you approached this very sensibly while getting to the point, and without insulting the person. Again, a little empathy goes a long way for some folks, as opposed to berating and making passive aggressive comments about them. It says a lot about any person who would resort to those tactics and it is a shameful reflection of humanity. 

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, dfelt said:

So, Should Suicide Doors come back into the Auto Market?

Seems more and more OEMs are having them on concepts, but then they never seem to make it into production. 

Should they come back into production?

Is the safety less on these types of doors?

Suicide versus Gullwing doors, which one makes more sense?

Sound Off Peeps! :deathwatch:

IMO, only if they're purposeful because they aren't that cool to me. They aren't "uncool" but they don't do anything extra for me.

1 minute ago, Stew said:

Sorry all.  i was just venting.  Haven't really hid anything that happened in the last year and just a lot going on that tends to push down.  I am also a manic depressive with clinical anxiety so look over me haha. 

Just tell us what's wrong, bud. It helps to get things out and vent. Of all places, this is probably one of the easiest because... I don't know any of you!

Just start with the issue next time though... lol

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

IMO, only if they're purposeful because they aren't that cool to me. They aren't "uncool" but they don't do anything extra for me.

Just tell us what's wrong, bud. It helps to get things out and vent. Of all places, this is probably one of the easiest because... I don't know any of you!

Just start with the issue next time though... lol

Well, half the time I can't figure it out myself lol.  Just makes it hard to even wake up of a morning though.  I think it is a mixture of winter financial issues, vision issues I am having, nerve damage issues in my legs, and it is coming up on my birthday and then a few days after it makes one year since my best friend killed themselves.  I know silly stuff, but I am pretty sure I am not all there haha. 

15 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I see easier entry and exit with suicide doors as both doors can open a nice big space to get in and out of.

Toronado asking price was $9500.
If the radiator is frozen & half empty- something split open & it lost water. 
Without getting it up in the air & looking underneath it, checking freeze plugs & degreasing the block, how to know if the block is cracked or not?
IMO, it would be worth it around $4000 with the risk, but seller didn't know jack about cars and was therefore not going to be talked down. We didn't make a counter offer.

oldshurst- I think the trip was like 360 miles round trip, not 500. the 6.5 hrs drive time was round trip.

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Toronado asking price was $9500.
If the radiator is frozen & half empty- something split open & it lost water. 
Without getting it up in the air & looking underneath it, checking freeze plugs & degreasing the block, how to know if the block is cracked or not?
IMO, it would be worth it around $4000 with the risk, but seller didn't know jack about cars and was therefore not going to be talked down. We didn't make a counter offer.

oldshurst- I think the trip was like 360 miles round trip, not 500. the 6.5 hrs drive time was round trip.

Bummer, Yea, if a person is hard set on a price and yet knows nothing about auto's and with the freezing issues you state, then your right only worth about 3-4K at most since the powertrain could easily eat up major money.

Appreciate the info. Hopefully someone gets it and restores it, like stated before, waste if it ends up in the crusher.

So, i got my music, but my left front tire apparently has a low leak and from the looks of the right front I am going to need an axle here soon.  Wa planning on a new set of tires and new axles in the spring, along with a front brake pad upgrade since the brake based torque vectoring is kinda rough on the front pads.  Today is just a bad time for this.  i hate winter lol.  I am onna get that tire checked I figure it may just need a patch and I can get b for a while longer.