Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

44 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

That is how Montreal OFFICIALLY kicked off the holiday season today.

I am lucky for not getting myself into this kind of predicament. Knock on wood.

wow and cool.

On both accounts.

On you being a mover and a shaker buying and selling and getting yourself into all kinds of cars never keeping it stale.

And for the dude for going from a Flying Spur summer car to a VeeDub winter car.

I had a customer that drove, and still does, a late 1997 Turbo 911 for the winter.

Damn! I thought a Golf R was a helluva of a winter beater, but a 993 Turbo is taking it to another level!!

I met the man in December 1997 or January 1998 when he first walked into my restaurant and ordered a hot dog for the very first time. Just 1 hot dog. He had a craving for one.

I asked him, "wow....you drive your Porsche in the winter?"  (those exact same words)

He said, with a certain proud and assertive and confident voice, "YES! I just got it for the winter. You know, this car comes in AWD. Not because its winter in Quebec life has to stop!"

I just smiled at him and said....cool.

He comes in from time to time...orders just 1 hot dog. And goes on his merry way.

His Porsche, its surprisingly in good condition. I havent seen one rust spot. Probably because the car is aluminium? Its 11 years old already. We chit chat but I have never asked him recently how his car is doing, because he still drives it....in the winter...and is obviously in good working order...

He has a convertible 2006 Mustang GT with all kinds of Ford Racing shyte on it. Roll bars, wide tires. Enhanced engine upgrades.Shelby Cobra decals all over the place but it is not an official Cobra car. That is his baby that he drove in the summer when the sun is shining. Now his son drives that one most of the time.

He has a Mercedes S Class that he got a couple of years ago.

He had a 2010 CLS before that S Class. His wife drives an Audi Q whatever number it is. The big SUV form Audi.

EDIT:

I cant count for nothing.

I said 11 years. SHYTE...20 years...its 20 years old...

WOW!!!!

TIME PHOQUING FLIES!!!

Our restaurant is 20 years old this year.

We opened it up in November of 1996.
My partner and I both forgot...

This post just reminded me...

We have to throw a big Christmas Party for the staff this year. We always have one but its always a small humble thing. We have to throw a big bash this year!

Edited by oldshurst442

Almost had an incident with a carpenter we hired on campus for some remodeling work....I am a woodworker, and remarked...your wood looks like Ash....he heard...your wood looks like ass...we both had a good laugh after I cleared that up...

• Agree 1

Absolutely stunning....

Fantastic link to a guy building an Ash body frame for a vintage Morgan Sports car completely from scratch....neat project!

http://www.rustyheaps.com/

2016-10-06-22.28.57-676x361.jpg

48 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Absolutely stunning....

Fantastic link to a guy building an Ash body frame for a vintage Morgan Sports car completely from scratch....neat project!

http://www.rustyheaps.com/

2016-10-06-22.28.57-676x361.jpg

Very cool, but with today's technology, you really have to love wood working to want to take on that much effort.

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well I like that color blue on the Ford whatchamacallit.  GT or some shit.

I think that is actually a fiberglass kit car based on a 1973 air cooled VW Super Beetle, but whatever....

(Just poking some fun at 'blu with that comment...)

Looks like another out of the park home run for Ford!

Edited by A Horse With No Name

Just now, Stew said:

haha, we had 7 pluses for a penny so i figured I would give it a try.  Hoping they have a new note out next year.  Really wanted a Note 7, but that kinda blew up (ha!)

Exactly, I am still on the Note 3 and was going to go to a Note 7 but have to wait for the Note 8 out April 11th 2017 in the US.

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Exactly, I am still on the Note 3 and was going to go to a Note 7 but have to wait for the Note 8 out April 11th 2017 in the US.

Welp, hopefully we get it and I can renew my other contract next Dec when I should be able to get it for a penny.  haha

Seattle is calling for 2-4 inches of snow tomorrow, Local Paper posted pictures and videos of what happened last time.

Snow-ageddon and all forms of crazy will happen now with our hills.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/weather/snow-wimps-when-snow-falls-in-seattle-it-gets-ugly/

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Seattle is calling for 2-4 inches of snow tomorrow, Local Paper posted pictures and videos of what happened last time.

Snow-ageddon and all forms of crazy will happen now with our hills.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/weather/snow-wimps-when-snow-falls-in-seattle-it-gets-ugly/

Montreal higher ups were humbled by that little video that went viral. They said a fast and flukey occurance of black ice formed sooooo quickly that they did not have the time to react to that particular street.

The mayor said that the salt trucks were on the roads full force BEFORE the roosters were even awake.

Well. No Montrealer bought that load of BS...

Hoperfully in your neck of the woods, the people that run your town are not as um...complacent as our higher ups...

On top of that...barely 3 inches of snow fell on Monday in some parts, and by the next morning...it all melted away.

Sure...when it did fall...it fell...hard, but in no way at blizzard pace.

And Montreal gets blizzards...like often. .so its not as if we are not used to this.

We got caught with our pants down. We should own up to that....

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎06 at 0:06 AM, FordCosworth said:

Axl, Duff, Dizzy and my favourite, Slash...

Sept 1/17 in Vancouver...2 days later at The Gorge!!

They are coming to Montreal too.

Im surprised that Axl is attempting to show up...

I wonder if Metallica is opening up for them...

@oldshurst442

The video of the bus and cars sliding down did catch the political hags off guard, no one bought the BS they shoveled and they were out the next election, the current idiots only thing they did right is properly prep now for these storms and we have not had issues like 2010. I hope all goes smoothly this week and wishing you the best for the winter too.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

They are coming to Montreal too.

Im surprised that Axl is attempting to show up...

I wonder if Metallica is opening up for them...

If Vancouver and/or The Gorge wasn't mentioned as tour dates ( which was this week ) I said to my wife " I'm flying to Montreal to see these guys ". 

I saw the " Axl Rose Experience " a couple years ago here. They were good. But it took 2 guitarists to emulate Slash. And Axl showed up. Obviously his vocal range wasn't like it was when I saw them at the Tacoma Dome in '91. But damn it was so bloody awesome hearing those songs live again!

I have yet to hear who is touring with them. 

1 hour ago, FordCosworth said:

If Vancouver and/or The Gorge wasn't mentioned as tour dates ( which was this week ) I said to my wife " I'm flying to Montreal to see these guys ". 

I saw the " Axl Rose Experience " a couple years ago here. They were good. But it took 2 guitarists to emulate Slash. And Axl showed up. Obviously his vocal range wasn't like it was when I saw them at the Tacoma Dome in '91. But damn it was so bloody awesome hearing those songs live again!

I have yet to hear who is touring with them. 

I heard Axl sing replacing Brian Johnson of AC DC....not that great, but then again, he aint AC DC, he is GnR.

One of the best Rock voices ever this Axl guy had.

GnR, I HATE them, but strangely enough, I have BOUGHT and LISTENED to for HOURS EVERY SINGLE album they made before breaking up. Yes. Even the Spaghetti Incident.

Timeless rock songs some songs of theirs are.

I was referring to this Montreal incident when I made my post.

http://www.aux.tv/2013/08/21-years-ago-today-montreal-rioted-at-a-guns-n-roses-and-metallica-show/ 

Im one happy camper right now. Got my 12.9" iPad Pro last week and my backlit keyboard for it today! Now, I'm just waiting on the pencil to get here so that I can finally get back to my art. WOOHOO!

8 hours ago, Stew said:

Getting my first iPhone today after many years of strictly using Android (Galaxy S%/Note 5). 

My wife just got her 7 plus and loves it. The camera is just top notch and this is coming from a DSLR user!

• Agree 1

Remember when I once said on my march forward I had joints which felt lubed?

Well, today, I woke up, and I felt like my entire skin was covered in teflon (lol) or I am more aerodynamic. Cos movements are like so much easier. I feel like exert so little effort to walk, to move my arms around, to get up off a chair. I am becoming the F150 Plat/Denali GMC that I always wanted to be. Once I finish the work with the "grunt" department, a new wardrobe, and good times to be had. 

8 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

Remember when I once said on my march forward I had joints which felt lubed?

Well, today, I woke up, and I felt like my entire skin was covered in teflon (lol) or I am more aerodynamic. Cos movements are like so much easier. I feel like exert so little effort to walk, to move my arms around, to get up off a chair. I am becoming the F150 Plat/Denali GMC that I always wanted to be. Once I finish the work with the "grunt" department, a new wardrobe, and good times to be had. 

Awesome, doing rather well myself.

10 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

All of us buying early gifts for ourselves.  I just got my first new laptop in 7 years.   Really happy with it.

I just bought a nice set of router bits for making cabinet doors, going to buy a Festool router myself next....

http://www.shopfestool.com/festool-of-1010-eq-router-574339/?gclid=Cj0KEQiApqTCBRC-977Hi9Ov8pkBEiQA5B_ipVH5VFsXF5600pvG6V-iztdse4PgyT9Tr68v-lIoHGEaAm0Y8P8HAQ

It isn't cheap but damn does it perform....

8 hours ago, FordCosworth said:

And a very Merry Christmas to you!

And a Merry Christmas three weeks early to our friends in the great white north...!

11 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Im one happy camper right now. Got my 12.9" iPad Pro last week and my backlit keyboard for it today! Now, I'm just waiting on the pencil to get here so that I can finally get back to my art. WOOHOO!

My wife just got her 7 plus and loves it. The camera is just top notch and this is coming from a DSLR user!

Awesome.  the camera was a major selling point for me.  Didn't get it yesterday, should be today. 

These last 2 weeks have done everything they can to do me in.   Road debris takes out left fog light and wiper washer,  flat tire, fridge died tues, house heater died today, and now the driver's side window on my car is droopy and not sealing correctly.   Damn you 2016, enough is enough......

19 minutes ago, Stew said:

Awesome.  the camera was a major selling point for me.  Didn't get it yesterday, should be today. 

These last 2 weeks have done everything they can to do me in.   Road debris takes out left fog light and wiper washer,  flat tire, fridge died tues, house heater died today, and now the driver's side window on my car is droopy and not sealing correctly.   Damn you 2016, enough is enough......

That truly sucks Stew. I can definitely understand the need for 2016 to stop it's nonsense as well but it is getting better, for me anyway.

31 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

That truly sucks Stew. I can definitely understand the need for 2016 to stop it's nonsense as well but it is getting better, for me anyway.

This whole year has been terrible.  Lost my best friend t suicide in Feb, was getting sued, but that died out, and a million other things.  Hoping for a better 17. 

6 minutes ago, Stew said:

This whole year has been terrible.  Lost my best friend t suicide in Feb, was getting sued, but that died out, and a million other things.  Hoping for a better 17. 

So sorry to hear that. The losses have been heavy here too man. All we can do is move forward and carry on. 

And yes, here's hoping for a much better 17. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Stew said:

2016 was the painful year of stupid that would not end in so many ways...hope things start going better for you!

19 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

And yes, here's hoping for a much better 17. 

indeed!

Gotta Love old Iron, found this story on a restored 1961 GMC Suburban that now has a Duramax Diesel in and it is totally a sweet ride.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/1961-gmc-suburban-combines-the-best-of-both-worlds/ar-AAlgpDg?li=BBnb7Kz#image=AAlgzv7|1

Love restored old iron with new tech powertrains that make them way better than they used to be.

12 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Gotta Love old Iron, found this story on a restored 1961 GMC Suburban that now has a Duramax Diesel in and it is totally a sweet ride.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/1961-gmc-suburban-combines-the-best-of-both-worlds/ar-AAlgpDg?li=BBnb7Kz#image=AAlgzv7|1

Love restored old iron with new tech powertrains that make them way better than they used to be.

Thanks for the link...

On 11/29/2016 at 10:42 AM, dfelt said:

Hey Drew,

The local job fair was pretty big here for the tech community and the following web sites were posted by the Seattle Times as a place to start for building a resume.

http://resume.monster.com/

http://www.resumebuilder.org/

https://www.resume.com/

https://www.myperfectresume.com/

https://resumegenius.com/

Course LinkedIn also has a resume builder and plenty of web sites talk about and show how to use your linked in profile to produce a PDF Resume.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/resume-builder

https://linkedinresumebuilder.com/

https://www.visualcv.com/linkedin-resume-builder/

https://www.resumonk.com/resume-builder/help/import-from-linkedin

Course some do require you pay a fee, but most can help get you going.

Remember one big thing is that most companies use resume scanning software which is to search for key words based on the job description. So one will want to write it to address those key words they put in that job description.

Good luck.

After today...I need this more than ever.   What's the point of trying to make sure someone doesn't fail when they have no interest in succeeding. 

13 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Bull Dog or Diesel Engine? We report, you decide.

That totally rocks! :metal: 

13 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

After today...I need this more than ever.   What's the point of trying to make sure someone doesn't fail when they have no interest in succeeding. 

Easy, Per our own HR department, if you write your resume to match up to the job description or industry job roll, you will get calls no matter what via email or phone. Crazy software focuses on the key words and not on much else.

9 hours ago, bigpoolog said:

IF YOU'RE DRIVING IN A CHEVY AND YOUR PANTS ARE FEELING HEAVY, DIHARREA!

Are you sure that is not your socks with the warm runny feeling down your legs? :huh:

Some who are friends with me know that for the past few months, I have been churning out content for a personal blog. I haven't been consistent with it as much as I wanted to because of life and not feeling like writing after doing a bunch here and some other places. Yesterday, I published my latest piece and will hopefully try to get back on this horse.

You can check it out here - http://contradictoryenigmas.tumblr.com/