Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

5 minutes ago, Stew said:

Thank you sir.  And yes, maybe a couple years those higher end tires will be joined by rims and nice coilover suspension :D

That rocks! :metal:

Remember, Dreams is what drives us to succeed. Always have stretch dreams that push you to go beyond everyone's expectation so you can then enjoy the best. :D 

24 minutes ago, dfelt said:

That rocks! :metal:

Remember, Dreams is what drives us to succeed. Always have stretch dreams that push you to go beyond everyone's expectation so you can then enjoy the best. :D 

Absolutely!

45 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Exactly, I love nice things and I save for the best, but some times life throws a curve ball and you have to deal with a short term solution. These tires have what it takes to give you a couple years of solid driving and when you are in a better cash flow situation, then you can trade them in on better tires.

Reality is that I find most tires at the 50% tread life left even Michelin still are not as solid as new. Just the way it is and yes with better components, you do get a better grip, ride, etc. 

Yet point made by you is things are tight and you need new tires. Better to get a solid performing tire like these for a couple years than going in deeper debt for the best. The best can come in 2 years or so when things will be better.

I believe you will see things better by then. Good luck with your tires.

See, I'm also of the mindset that if you can't afford a set of tires for your car... you probably shouldn't have bought that car.

2 minutes ago, Stew said:

I kinda didn't expect to have to buy tires already, just had a freak blowout. 

I hate cheap tires....I run Continental tires on both cars, and not the cheap ones either.

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

See, I'm also of the mindset that if you can't afford a set of tires for your car... you probably shouldn't have bought that car.

Except that you can't get anywhere in this country without a car unless you live in NYC or downtown Chicago.

7 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I hate cheap tires....I run Continental tires on both cars, and not the cheap ones either.

Except that you can't get anywhere in this country without a car unless you live in NYC or downtown Chicago.

Very true, I live 50 miles from work and spend over 2 hours on the road everyday. 

13 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

True, but then not everyone expects to have to replace things earlier in their life cycle. Life happens and in a country that really depends on an auto to get around, then you deal with the hand that is dealt to you.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, dfelt said:

True, but then not everyone expects to have to replace things earlier in their life cycle. Life happens and in a country that really depends on an auto to get around, then you deal with the hand that is dealt to you.

And it is just a 10,000 dollar car basically, I didn't exactly splurge, but had to have something lol. 

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

1: I hate cheap tires....I run Continental tires on both cars, and not the cheap ones either.

2:Except that you can't get anywhere in this country without a car unless you live in NYC or downtown Chicago.

1: Good for you, seriously. I loved my two sets of Continentals. I put DWS's on my C350 when I had it and loved them! Currently finishing up my ContiProContacts that are OEM on my Escape. They're a good tire. Not very good in snow, the car tends to push really bad at some pretty low speeds so I just have to be extra cautious.

2: Yes, I know this... But look at what was purchased. It wasn't a cheap beater car. If you expect to afford VW reliability you should also know that buying a car with 18 inch wheels will not be cheap. So don't do it if you cannot afford to. Blowouts happen. They're crappy and a part of life but they happen...

15 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yes Blow outs do happen, though I honestly have never had one happen to me. But then I am OCD about lots of things especially my auto's, tire pressure, etc.

Always Always ALWAYS keep up on tire pressures and please, for the love of god... don't use the maximum tire pressure on the sidewall of the tire.

Easy now, so far haven't had any real reliability issues and am aware of what could happen.  The tires on the car look to be practically brand new so i was not expecting anything like this so early.  The only extra expense as far as being a VW =is that the oil filter was more expensive.  I prefer using mobil 1 synthetic so the oil itself is no more for the synthetic European blend.   Same with windshield wipers, they don't make them for this particular application in the cheaper brands, but i didn't what cheap wipers anyway so technically no extra expense there.  The cooler months are usually a bit tougher too because electric bills soar, mine usually triples.  I also had just done a bit of holiday shopping which had kind of drained me. 

12 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Always Always ALWAYS keep up on tire pressures and please, for the love of god... don't use the maximum tire pressure on the sidewall of the tire.

Unless your in Alaska, There I learned the hardway on how low a tire can be in the morning. With their cold temps, go max at night before you go to bed if you need air, by morning it will be down about 10lbs. :P Darn cold below zero temps. :P 

1 minute ago, Stew said:

Easy now, so far haven't had any real reliability issues and am aware of what could happen.  The tires on the car look to be practically brand new so i was not expecting anything like this so early.  The only extra expense as far as being a VW =is that the oil filter was more expensive.  I prefer using mobil 1 synthetic so the oil itself is no more for the synthetic European blend.   Same with windshield wipers, they don't make them for this particular application in the cheaper brands, but i didn't what cheap wipers anyway so technically no extra expense there.  The cooler months are usually a bit tougher too because electric bills soar, mine usually triples.  I also had just done a bit of holiday shopping which had kind of drained me. 

Seems like you have a pretty good grip on things...

Just now, dfelt said:

Unless your in Alaska, There I learned the hardway on how low a tire can be in the morning. With their cold temps, go max at night before you go to bed if you need air, by morning it will be down about 10lbs. :P Darn cold below zero temps. :P 

I guess we all need to worry about going soft in the morning....

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I do auto crossing some times. But then I drop it back down for on road use.

36 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

2: Yes, I know this... But look at what was purchased. It wasn't a cheap beater car. If you expect to afford VW reliability you should also know that buying a car with 18 inch wheels will not be cheap. So don't do it if you cannot afford to. Blowouts happen. They're crappy and a part of life but they happen...

I see your point...but he could have bought a Mirage....or a large SUV....or an FCA product....

52 minutes ago, Stew said:

And it is just a 10,000 dollar car basically, I didn't exactly splurge, but had to have something lol. 

A ten thousand dollar car that may well IMHO hold better resale than the PT Cruiser or dismal Sentra you would have bought for eight....sometimes cheap is expensive.

Just now, dfelt said:

Right!, Worse thing that can happen is being too Rubbery in the morning! ;)

:P

My sidewalls are not the only thing that lacks stiffness....

11 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

My sidewalls are not the only thing that lacks stiffness....

Oh my haha.

I am in the process of digging myself out of a hole and rebuilding my credit after a bankruptcy roughly 4 years ago (very long story).  I have bounced my actual score back pretty good, but I hadn't had a single load, credit card, or anything except my student loan outstanding and despite the score and because of the bankruptcy and no credit for so many years I had no prayer of purchasing a home like I want to in the next few years.  I have a plan to make things better, but it is slow going and unexpected things don't help haha.  I can at least pretend to know what I am doing, whether I do or not is still to be seen. 

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, TaurusSHO said:

Good to be back, but things seem a bit slow here.

15 minutes ago, TaurusSHO said:

Yes they are...

1 hour ago, TaurusSHO said:

Yes and No, depends on which thread you are on. Plus the holidays are a diversion for so many, so normal slowness.

51 minutes ago, Stew said:

Go to pay my water bill and have a credit balance instead.  Me thinks the water company overcharged me sometime over he past year. 

Always a nice surprise.

Thinking a Golf Alltrack might be a nice car to look at to replace the Jetta with.

Just now, Stew said:

I have really grown to like the Alltrack myself.   It will be on my short list on a few years. 

Cool....we will see how many incentives VW can pile together when I am ready....

23 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Gotta love all the new EV announcements this week! Check out the Alternative Forum for EV auto's and Semi's! :D:metal: 

Will be checking it out!

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I saw a Volvo Polestar today! I didn't have time to snag a picture but it was black and I saw the sweet wheels and the blue Polestar square in the grille.

How rare are THESE?!?!

It looked just like this one.

55DD32DE-9D4D-490C-A454-2D73E28ED1AE_zps

VERY RARE! I have yet to see one in the greater Seattle area. Even on my trips lately to the greater LA area and Austin, I have not seen one of these. 

Kinda like looking for Waldo in the real world. :P 

Just now, dfelt said:

VERY RARE! I have yet to see one in the greater Seattle area. Even on my trips lately to the greater LA area and Austin, I have not seen one of these. 

Kinda like looking for Waldo in the real world. :P 

Haha I've seen them at the Auto Shows here in STL the last couple of years but I've never seen one in the wild. Plus, if they're driving all you'd have to go by was if it does or doesn't have a blue square in the grille..

I'd actually like to know the production numbers for the S60.. and kind of assume like a 5-10% take rate for the Polestar?

Reading on Volvo's website about the Polestar... I found this like hilarious. Taken directly from their website.

"The S60 Polestar has an air filter and stainless steel active exhaust system, which provides improved engine breathing and optimized airflow. The rear diffuser is designed to chann..."

Oh, really? It has an air filter? LOL

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Feeling accomplished.  Just brought gas and electric back online in the apartment building I'm renovating. Now to fix the furnace and get the water on.

Congrats...getting some things done myself....

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I saw a Volvo Polestar today! I didn't have time to snag a picture but it was black and I saw the sweet wheels and the blue Polestar square in the grille.

How rare are THESE?!?!

There was one station wagon at the last autox I went to.  Pretty cool car.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You do HVAC work, right?

I used to, I now work in the facilities department of a university repairing pretty much everything that breaks.  Technically I take care of on campus housing for upper classmen, but my job involves pretty much a little of everything....

Tuition benefit comes in real handy with kids.  My middle daughter is a senior at Otterbein and my younger son is at Pacific Lutheran.

41 minutes ago, ykX said:

There was one station wagon at the last autox I went to.  Pretty cool car.

Wagons are just the bomb....

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

We've been here 15 years through slow times and the fast.

8 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

And I have been here almost ten years, time flies!

I just checked and WOW, 11 years myself. Crazy. does not feel that long.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Stew said:

Noooo Snoooow.  So evil haha

Tire is here, much quicker than expected and one of the reasons I love discount tire direct. 

Took my son and his friend up yesterday, had to rescue him as we had a 3 foot powder dump Saturday night on top of a 2 foot dump the night before and so the pow was so deep my 5' 8" tall son got stuck in the off terrain tree line.

20161204_105955.jpg

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Took my son and his friend up yesterday, had to rescue him as we had a 3 foot powder dump Saturday night on top of a 2 foot dump the night before and so the pow was so deep my 5' 8" tall son got stuck in the off terrain tree line.

20161204_105955.jpg

Just makes me feel cold just seeing that haha. 

1 minute ago, Stew said:

Just makes me feel cold just seeing that haha. 

LOL, never cold, the all body workout you end up getting so toasty warm. Love skiing, He loves his snowboarding. Great bonding time.

• Agree 2

On 12/2/2016 at 9:13 AM, ccap41 said:

How rare are THESE?!?!

A buddy of mine has a Polestar V60 Wagon.

That is how Montreal OFFICIALLY kicked off the holiday season today.

I am lucky for not getting myself into this kind of predicament. Knock on wood.

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I just sold my realistic new dream car- Limestone Golf R DSG w/ DCC and Nav. :) Guy bought it as his daily so he can park his Flying Spur Speed for the winter. :o

wow and cool.

On both accounts.

On you being a mover and a shaker buying and selling and getting yourself into all kinds of cars never keeping it stale.

And for the dude for going from a Flying Spur summer car to a VeeDub winter car.

I had a customer that drove, and still does, a late 1997 Turbo 911 for the winter.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1