Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

So little you know Grasshopper! :palm:

Clinging to the idea that the world is a certain way and always should remain that way precludes the possibility of positive growth and change.

50 minutes ago, balthazar said:

^ While the above is usually true, not all growth & change is for the better.
Yes- even in the world of automobiles.

I agree, but to have the positive changes one must risk the negative changes. Nature seems to abhor a static world...

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

When you answer "Had a friend for dinner." to the question, "What did you do for Thanksgiving?", tone and inflection are important lest someone get the wrong idea.Hannibal-Lecter-hannibal-lecter-24822525-320-244.jpg

Crispy deep fried is crunchy goodness! :P

Well, happy belated American thanksgiving eating binge, happy belated black friday spending binge, and happy saturday look at all the money wasted on food and crap you don't need day.

Also, that moment when you voice chat with a friend, and they are intoxicated, they repeatedly ask you the same question over and over and over agian, even when you provide an answer, like 300 times.

Ah, good days, all of them, always are. :)

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

Happy Sunday Birthday to a MR.DFELT.

Stuffed full of turkey, eh?

Thank you, yes it was a wonderful 49th b-day. 1 more and the big 50 hits me and yet I still have not hit middle age meltdown.

Spent the day bowling with the family, then they took me out to lunch and I got movies to add to my rather large 1400+ movie collection. :P

Over all a great day.

Everyone have a great week. Mine is starting out swell. :D

21 minutes ago, William Maley said:

Took a couple of days off from writing to try and recharge. Felt great.

Trying to get back in the flow of writing after said break is kind of hard.

Agree, after a long holiday break, really hard to get back into the flow of working. :blink:

9 minutes ago, Stew said:

It truly saddens me that Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are getting blasted by fires, Gatlinburg is apparently pretty well gone.Good news is that have been no fatalities so far, but it is such a beautiful area.  

Yes sad, but must be extra dry as this is fall and going into winter. Where is the rain and how did this so called wild fire get started? Me think there is human cause behind the fires.

15 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yes sad, but must be extra dry as this is fall and going into winter. Where is the rain and how did this so called wild fire get started? Me think there is human cause behind the fires.

It has been ridiculously dry from here to there straight to NC and wind gusts were up to 80 MPH yesterday evening which exasperated the issue.  They believe arson is involved and fallen power lines because of he wind helped spread and start new fires too.  They finally got some rain today, but unfortunately it is accompanied by more strong winds. 

33 minutes ago, dfelt said:

At least two of the fires in NC are suspected to be arson. People suck. They are getting some rain in area today though so hopefully that helps the firefighting effort.

16 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I haven't written a resume in many years.... any tips on where to start?  This new position I took back in May isn't working out.

Hey Drew,

The local job fair was pretty big here for the tech community and the following web sites were posted by the Seattle Times as a place to start for building a resume.

http://resume.monster.com/

http://www.resumebuilder.org/

https://www.resume.com/

https://www.myperfectresume.com/

https://resumegenius.com/

Course LinkedIn also has a resume builder and plenty of web sites talk about and show how to use your linked in profile to produce a PDF Resume.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/resume-builder

https://linkedinresumebuilder.com/

https://www.visualcv.com/linkedin-resume-builder/

https://www.resumonk.com/resume-builder/help/import-from-linkedin

Course some do require you pay a fee, but most can help get you going.

Remember one big thing is that most companies use resume scanning software which is to search for key words based on the job description. So one will want to write it to address those key words they put in that job description.

Good luck.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Happy 2 year anniversary to myself from when I bought my Escape...lol 11/29/2014 was the purchase date.

Awesome, way to go. solid auto's are always great to have. After all we all know they are the worst investments in the world. :P

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Awesome, way to go. solid auto's are always great to have. After all we all know they are the worst investments in the world. :P

As this is easily the lamest vehicle I've purchased it is the one that I've been the most content with and not looking to get rid of after only a year or so. Only downside.. as the 60k miles approach, so does a new set of tires. That'll set me back 900-1000 bucks.

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

As this is easily the lamest vehicle I've purchased it is the one that I've been the most content with and not looking to get rid of after only a year or so. Only downside.. as the 60k miles approach, so does a new set of tires. That'll set me back 900-1000 bucks.

True, but cheaper than a whole new auto with big payments. I am so happy to not have any auto payment. I would rather just pay for gas, maintenance and repairs.

25 minutes ago, dfelt said:

True, but cheaper than a whole new auto with big payments. I am so happy to not have any auto payment. I would rather just pay for gas, maintenance and repairs.

Oh absolutely cheaper! And.. because I have gone through enough cars and spaced apart properly this will only be my second set of tires bought in my 12 years of driving so I really can't complain too much.

I'm really hoping to continue to power pay down my loan and possibly have it paid off with next Christmas's bonus from work. Or a student loan.. either one really. Less loans the better.

• Agree 1

YES, YES, YES, Ski season is here. All the resorts are open and Washington state is back in ski mode. 27" base at Stevens.

https://www.stevenspass.com/site

Crazy that from Whistler to Mt. Hood  we have a ton of fresh powder.

Total since Nov 1st is 123 inches of snowfall.

Cascade Mountains from Seattle looking East

CascadeMountains.jpg

Snowboarding this past weekend at Baker.

Snow Boarder on Baker.jpg

Powder Play at Whistler this last weekend.

WhistlerPowderDeep.jpg

• Agree 1

The 2018 Ford Fiesta is one sweet little ride.  I love the mature looks of the Fiesta v. the Sonic and Spark, which the Fiesta seems to straddle in size.  Imagine that... they also have a "Fiesta Active" with an "e".

47 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

The 2018 Ford Fiesta is one sweet little ride.  I love the mature looks of the Fiesta v. the Sonic and Spark, which the Fiesta seems to straddle in size.  Imagine that... they also have a "Fiesta Active" with an "e".

I like it a lot, but like the Cruze even better.  Both amazingly sweet little cars.

Really nice dive footage from a dive on Brittanic, the sister ship to the Titanic which also sank. Violet Jessup was unlucky enough to be on both ships but lucky enough to survive both sin kings.

This is the largest passenger ship sitting on the seabed....

Bah, bug some damage from road debri in the winds the other night.  THink it popped the hose off the washer bottle causing all my washer fluid to leak around the foglight bulb on the passenger side blowing it.  There is no actual physical damage I can see and the actuall light casing isn't even scratched.  My luck though lol.

18 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Such classy ladies....wonder if they tried to submit an insurance claim on this....?

I am just shocked at the stupidity of messing up both rides and clearly pretty new ones at that. How stupid can you be to damage your own ride that they probably still owe on in a big way.

:omfg::palm: :nono:

13 minutes ago, Stew said:

THis is not my week.  Got a massive flat on the way home last night in the rain, not repairable.  Running the mini-spare until I can get a replacement. 

I feel your pain....pet cat has colitis and it is giving her massive diarrhea....giving pills to a cat is never fun,e specially one as feisty as this one.

41 minutes ago, Stew said:

THis is not my week.  Got a massive flat on the way home last night in the rain, not repairable.  Running the mini-spare until I can get a replacement. 

Bummer, that sucks, I feel your pain.

27 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I feel your pain....pet cat has colitis and it is giving her massive diarrhea....giving pills to a cat is never fun,e specially one as feisty as this one.

Trade up to a Dog, Dogs are way easier than cats IMHO. 

JK, I know folks love their cats like I love dogs. Sucks to have to medicate a family member, wishing you all the best.

Bummer, that sucks, I feel your pain.

Trade up to a Dog, Dogs are way easier than cats IMHO. 

JK, I know folks love their cats like I love dogs. Sucks to have to medicate a family member, wishing you all the best.

I want to get a dog when my life settles down. I really want a Shih Tzu.....its calm disposition would work well for me.

My friend had one....we used to take that dog for rides all of the time in my Miata...dog loved it...Rick was very well groomed....I have to wonder what people thought, two guys in a Miata with a a small dog....

All that aside, yes, a dog...I have had them before and loved them...both a  golden alb and a black alb....

1 minute ago, Stew said:

Haha, going to start replacing the tires 1 at a time and should have a full set by spring lol.

I hate to hear that about your cat.  We have both cats and dogs and love them both. 

Cool...I am almost to the point of needing tires for the Jetta....but do not want to put $ into a car I will be selling back in a  couple of months.

32 minutes ago, Stew said:

Haha, going to start replacing the tires 1 at a time and should have a full set by spring lol.

I hate to hear that about your cat.  We have both cats and dogs and love them both. 

OMG don't be "that guy" with 4 differently worn tires.. :fryingpan:

Replace the one you need to, have it put on the back, and when you can afford the other 3 put them all on and leave the "old" one on the back still until it comes time for a rotation.

34 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I want to get a dog when my life settles down. I really want a Shih Tzu.....its calm disposition would work well for me.

My friend had one....we used to take that dog for rides all of the time in my Miata...dog loved it...Rick was very well groomed....I have to wonder what people thought, two guys in a Miata with a a small dog....

All that aside, yes, a dog...I have had them before and loved them...both a  golden alb and a black alb....

Cool...I am almost to the point of needing tires for the Jetta....but do not want to put $ into a car I will be selling back in a  couple of months.

Used tires if you have to. There are places to find used decent tires that may have come off of a wrecked car or something.

I'm going to be buying a set within the next few thousand miles most likely. Bye bye $1000.

One cannot put a price on quality of life. Safety is the utmost when it comes to your car and tires are the most important in making sure you can drive safely your family and friends.

I agree, look for a solid good used set or just do the one tire, save up and then do the other 3.

One cannot put a price on quality of life. Safety is the utmost when it comes to your car and tires are the most important in making sure you can drive safely your family and friends.

I agree, look for a solid good used set or just do the one tire, save up and then do the other 3.

Still legal and safe at the minute, but will drive the other car if we get a big snow storm. Hoping to be out of the Jetta by the end of February.

49 minutes ago, Stew said:

haha.  Found a set of cheaper tires with a 40k warranty on discount tires. 

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?pc=12893&ar=45&rd=18&cs=225

Thinking about these.  Cheaper brand, but the reviews are surprisingly positive and they do have a 40k warranty.  Thoughts?

I am not a fan of cheap-o tires at all but if you're selling it back as soon as possible there is no point in overspending either.

While I would never really want cheap tires like that on my vehicles there is a cost:value ratio you need to find to get you to your selling point. If you're just looking for safety to get you by, they will probably be wonderful. If you want performance, be it rain, snow, hot, cold, evasive maneuvers, stopping abruptly, you will want a different tire. Cheap tires aren't known to blow or anything like that but they sacrifice performance metrics for the money saved.

OOPS I thought Horse posted this.. Well you're planning to keep your VW for awhile.. I would definitely not cheap out on tires. They effect too much on a car to go cheap on. I'm not saying splurge and get Michelin Pilot (enter letter/number/word here). But You could get a good set of Continentals, Pirellis, GoodYears without breaking the bank.

47 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Still legal and safe at the minute, but will drive the other car if we get a big snow storm. Hoping to be out of the Jetta by the end of February.

If you're really only trying to get 3 months out of tires I would look for used one. There are some used tires with a very good amount of tread on them that you might only pay 100 for all 4(plus mount and balance...).

You're in Ohio, right? Give this place a call and see if they have anything available in you're size.

http://www.sandysusedtirescolumbus.com/

Edited by ccap41

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I am not a fan of cheap-o tires at all but if you're selling it back as soon as possible there is no point in overspending either.

While I would never really want cheap tires like that on my vehicles there is a cost:value ratio you need to find to get you to your selling point. If you're just looking for safety to get you by, they will probably be wonderful. If you want performance, be it rain, snow, hot, cold, evasive maneuvers, stopping abruptly, you will want a different tire. Cheap tires aren't known to blow or anything like that but they sacrifice performance metrics for the money saved.

If you're really only trying to get 3 months out of tires I would look for used one. There are some used tires with a very good amount of tread on them that you might only pay 100 for all 4(plus mount and balance...).

You're in Ohio, right? Give this place a call and see if they have anything available in you're size.

Can do....stopping by the vW dealer after work to get a better feel for how the buy back is going...

1 hour ago, Stew said:

haha.  Found a set of cheaper tires with a 40k warranty on discount tires. 

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?pc=12893&ar=45&rd=18&cs=225

Thinking about these.  Cheaper brand, but the reviews are surprisingly positive and they do have a 40k warranty.  Thoughts?

Good generic tire, much better than mix n match used tires or low tread tires. I would go for this to have a safe driving winter.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

OOPS I thought Horse posted this.. Well you're planning to keep your VW for awhile.. I would definitely not cheap out on tires. They effect too much on a car to go cheap on. I'm not saying splurge and get Michelin Pilot (enter letter/number/word here). But You could get a good set of Continentals, Pirellis, GoodYears without breaking the bank.

17 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Good generic tire, much better than mix n match used tires or low tread tires. I would go for this to have a safe driving winter.

Yeah, I think they would be decent for a daily driver.  Would be nice to get some high end tires, but things are a bit tight right now. 

6 minutes ago, Stew said:

Yeah, I think they would be decent for a daily driver.  Would be nice to get some high end tires, but things are a bit tight right now. 

Exactly, I love nice things and I save for the best, but some times life throws a curve ball and you have to deal with a short term solution. These tires have what it takes to give you a couple years of solid driving and when you are in a better cash flow situation, then you can trade them in on better tires.

Reality is that I find most tires at the 50% tread life left even Michelin still are not as solid as new. Just the way it is and yes with better components, you do get a better grip, ride, etc. 

Yet point made by you is things are tight and you need new tires. Better to get a solid performing tire like these for a couple years than going in deeper debt for the best. The best can come in 2 years or so when things will be better.

I believe you will see things better by then. Good luck with your tires.

12 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Exactly, I love nice things and I save for the best, but some times life throws a curve ball and you have to deal with a short term solution. These tires have what it takes to give you a couple years of solid driving and when you are in a better cash flow situation, then you can trade them in on better tires.

Reality is that I find most tires at the 50% tread life left even Michelin still are not as solid as new. Just the way it is and yes with better components, you do get a better grip, ride, etc. 

Yet point made by you is things are tight and you need new tires. Better to get a solid performing tire like these for a couple years than going in deeper debt for the best. The best can come in 2 years or so when things will be better.

I believe you will see things better by then. Good luck with your tires.

Thank you sir.  And yes, maybe a couple years those higher end tires will be joined by rims and nice coilover suspension :D