Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

#MakeAmericaHateAgain

The election of Trump has validated all of the bigotry and xenophobia of his voter base.  Even if not all of them are "deplorables" and just wanted change, the ones who are deplorable now have their feelings validated.  I fully expect a rise in hate crimes.   I was planning on getting married next year in a large ceremony with family and friends.  Instead, I just finished the marriage license application and will likely be married by the end of next week with a couple friends at the courthouse so that I can make it legal before Herr Trumpter can revoke my rights.

Same deal.  me and my partner of nearly 11 years was planning to get married next year, now the plan is for it to happen before the end of the year at the courthouse. 

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Stew said:

Because I am gay and trump's VP is well known for being anti-lgbt.  I am terrified hard-fought ights will be lost.  i am terrified of an increase in hate crimes. 

You should be happy Hillary lost then. 

She was an appeaser and cheerleader for the most  anti gay, anti women, religious intolerant, bigoted, racist ideology on this planet.

• Disagree 3

As far as her policies for the US she was far better than Trump.  Trump's VP has actually tried to pass anti-lgbt laws in his home state In.  His VP has already stated that Trump would be an anti-lgbt president.  I have little doubt the country will regret this decision. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

You should be happy Hillary lost then. 

She was an appeaser and cheerleader for the most  anti gay, anti women, religious intolerant, bigoted, racist ideology on this planet.

You are categorically wrong.

1 minute ago, FordCosworth said:

Hence me asking you to prove your assertion that I am wrong.

You made an assertion without evidence. Back it the fuck up.  Trump is on record for saying he would reverse marriage rights. 

"I just don't feel good about it," Trump said. "I don't feel right about it. I'm against it, and I take a lot of heat because I come from New York. You know, for New York it's like, how can you be against gay marriage? But I'm opposed to gay marriage."

And, last year Trump said in an interview on CNN that he supported ‘traditional marriage.’

Trump also suggested in at least one interview that he would consider appointing Supreme Court justices who would support reversing the ruling.

That's called backing up your assertion. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

You made an assertion without evidence. Back it the fuck up.  Trump is on record for saying he would reverse marriage rights. 

"I just don't feel good about it," Trump said. "I don't feel right about it. I'm against it, and I take a lot of heat because I come from New York. You know, for New York it's like, how can you be against gay marriage? But I'm opposed to gay marriage."

And, last year Trump said in an interview on CNN that he supported ‘traditional marriage.’

Trump also suggested in at least one interview that he would consider appointing Supreme Court justices who would support reversing the ruling.

That's called backing up your assertion. 

Nice deflection.

I'm talking about Hillary and her support of a repressive ideology. 

Nice try though.

Nice deflection.

I'm talking about Hillary and her support of a repressive ideology. 

Nice try though.

You still haven't backed up your assertion against hillary.... that's why I continue to dismiss it. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Maybe a Honda Fit EX manual.  Certainly is a cavernous little beast.  Some ppl are saying the lumbar is too strong.  We have a '16 DX in the shop now, hit in the back and pushed into another car... surprisingly light damage.  Black with CVT though.

There are too many options that are much better IMHO.

2 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

There is an enormous difference between saying you accept Muslims and their right to free speech and their beliefs, and saying you endorse the absolutely bat shit insane aspects of their faith.

Just now, FordCosworth said:

So the cure is to elect a vice president like Pence who is bigoted?

24 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You are categorically wrong.

ohhh absolutely.

This is a video from the Alt right which is the kind of thinking behind a lot of people supporting the coming administration...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dont-be-surprised-this-is-the-america-you-have-always-lived-in_us_5822285de4b0aac624878b9c

The Huffington post writer gets it right....

3 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

That is one sect of Islam... it's like judging all of Christianity on the Westboro Baptist Church.  The vast majority of muslims are peaceful... and there are about 1.6 billion of them in the world... if they wanted us dead, we would be by now.   So... you fail.  Go drink your kool-aid Shelby. 

Just now, FordCosworth said:

Nope. The cure is the West needs to wake up to the perils of islam

Brexit was a start. Merkel and the CDU Party getting hammered in Germany, Marine Le Pen support growing in France....

The hateful rhetoric typical of a deplorable Trump supporter.  You are the weakest link.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Here is a parody from the left....this election is about xenophobia and the rejection of people "other" than ourselves....

The hateful rhetoric typical of a deplorable Trump supporter.  You are the weakest link.

Deplorable is a badge of honor with Trump supporters.

2 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

Nope. The cure is the West needs to wake up to the perils of islam

Brexit was a start. Merkel and the CDU Party getting hammered in Germany, Marine Le Pen support growing in France....

The world turning dark is not a good thing....I have a friend who just got back from France and visiting the battlefields of the Somme...do we really want to start dividing ourselves again ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme

19 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You still haven't backed up your assertion against hillary.... that's why I continue to dismiss it. 

The same assertion can be made against trump...by demonizing all Muslims, he increases the chances of a terror attack or other violence.

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That is one sect of Islam... it's like judging all of Christianity on the Westboro Baptist Church.  The vast majority of muslims are peaceful... and there are about 1.6 billion of them in the world... if they wanted us dead, we would be by now.   So... you fail.  Go drink your kool-aid Shelby. 

Shelby?

Tisk tisk Drew

1 hour ago, Stew said:

Because I am gay and trump's VP is well known for being anti-lgbt.  I am terrified hard-fought ights will be lost.  i am terrified of an increase in hate crimes. 

Me too.  I have a gay daughter and I would love for her to marry another woman some day.

Shelby?

Tisk tisk Drew

Not really a substantive reply, actually....

• Agree 2

At any rate, I am going to be headed into my woodworking shop for some quality quiet time...Astonishingly disappointed with the untied States right now....

• Agree 1

It is not my handle.

I thought he was paying you a compliment, as in Shelby Mustang. 

The guy from Ohio who posts under the Horse handle is a dumbass some times, you have to pardon him....

...at any rate, got to get back to work.  But the Untied states took an enormous step back with both candidates.  As far as I am concerned, both of them need to spend their lives in prison for a number of reasons. Clinton was in my view the more sane of the two by a long shot.

...and I kind of saw unpleasant things coming regardless of which one got elected. 

I bought a vintage mountain bike and I have been piling on the miles....1984 Raleigh Tamrack Mountain Tour....650b rims...love it....

As far as the future of our species, I am starting to root for the avian flu. given our lack of ability to rationally self govern, this might be the most humane ending for all of this.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I thought he was paying you a compliment, as in Shelby Mustang. 

The guy from Ohio who posts under the Horse handle is a dumbass some times, you have to pardon him....

...at any rate, got to get back to work.  But the Untied states took an enormous step back with both candidates.  As far as I am concerned, both of them need to spend their lives in prison for a number of reasons. Clinton was in my view the more sane of the two by a long shot.

...and I kind of saw unpleasant things coming regardless of which one got elected. 

I bought a vintage mountain bike and I have been piling on the miles....1984 Raleigh Tamrack Mountain Tour....650b rims...love it....

As far as the future of our species, I am starting to root for the avian flu. given our lack of ability to rationally self govern, this might be the most humane ending for all of this.

Or a zombie apocalypse...

I too am trying to immerse myself in my work, but honestly, it isn't helping......

23 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

...at any rate, got to get back to work.  But the Untied states took an enormous step back with both candidates.  As far as I am concerned, both of them need to spend their lives in prison for a number of reasons.

I agree with this.

24 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Aaaand this..

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Stew said:

That is horrifying  It is also sad I had to deactivate my Facebook because I couldn't take Trump rhetoric anymore.

I have not been on Facebook much in the past month and a half.

This one truly is on us as a country. Trump has called out for the Untied States to commit war crimes, and the population has bought into that notion. We have just validated the last fifteen years of atrocities we have committed. 

Just now, ccap41 said:

I agree with this.

Aaaand this..

The Untied States needs to be part of the international criminal court, to hold our dear leaders accountable.

• Agree 1

Obama in many ways is just as bad as Bush was, in that we are currently bombing how many Muslim countries without a declaration of war?

In terms of our leader, which one do we want, the one who as secretary of State was part of an administration that used drones to kill 13 year old girls...

Or the 70 year old misogynist who really probably should be on trial for the rape of a thirteen year old girl?

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It's horrible from both parties. Nobody shows respect for each other anymore. It is their way or no way.

We did not have an actual sane election. it wasn't a choice between candidates, it was an epic battle between not terribly creative seventh graders about who could make the most yucky statements about genitals....and emails....

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It's horrible from both parties. Nobody shows respect for each other anymore. It is their way or no way.

If we want to be a first rate nation, we have to act like one.  Americans want to be a first rate nation and lead the world without putting in the hard work and effort that takes.

The end result will be dismal, methinks.

Obama was far more rational than Trump will ever be, but our policies in the middle east suck....

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This one truly is on us as a country. Trump has called out for the Untied States to commit war crimes, and the population has bought into that notion. We have just validated the last fifteen years of atrocities we have committed. 

The Untied States needs to be part of the international criminal court, to hold our dear leaders accountable.

We are now just as bad as the idiot they elected who is murdering anyone he does not like in the Philippines. With Republican total control, people need to brace for this country going backwards 40 years and thumping bibles on people thinking it will change them to their way of thinking.

I wonder if the west coast can succeed from the US and become it's own country? :scratchchin:

This year we became reality TV politics and failed at intelligent, common sense dialogue. The country has dropped to a 4th grade level of bulling to get its way.

Sad day for the educated working class of the USA.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have already listed my prized Oldsmobile for sale.

:o What is your long term plan? A new BOLT?

With all the political election talk going on, more and more are probably wondering "Why did I not take the Blue Pill?"

:roflmao: 

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

We are now just as bad as the idiot they elected who is murdering anyone he does not like in the Philippines. With Republican total control, people need to brace for this country going backwards 40 years and thumping bibles on people thinking it will change them to their way of thinking.

I wonder if the west coast can succeed from the US and become it's own country? :scratchchin:

If they do, i will be moving out there.

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have already listed my prized Oldsmobile for sale.

Good luck....!

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Whatever he can get in Germany, I assume.

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

This year we became reality TV politics and failed at intelligent, common sense dialogue. The country has dropped to a 4th grade level of bulling to get its way.

Sad day for the educated working class of the USA.

With all the political election talk going on, more and more are probably wondering "Why did I not take the Blue Pill?"

:roflmao: 

I plan on not being in this country anymore.  Over the next few weeks, I will be interviewing various property management companies to take over my rental business so I can still have an income from them. 

Drew, just as a heads-up. You mentioned Germany at one point and gay marriage is not legal there. I don't know how a marriage here transfers to a country like that.. but it's definitely worth looking into. They allow same-sex partnerships which grant most of the same legal benefits but it is not considered a marriage.

I plan on not being in this country anymore.  Over the next few weeks, I will be interviewing various property management companies to take over my rental business so I can still have an income from them. 

If I buy a car, and it's unlikely, I'd probably get an Alfa 159 wagon.  But where I'll be living (that part is already arranged) I can get by on public transit quite easily. 

I would be on a plane out and never fucking come back if i personally could.  More complicated in my case because I have adult children with jobs and significant others, and i cannot see abdicating my role as dad.

But if I could get the whole crew on a 777 or an Airbus A340, you would not see me in the states again.

Just now, ccap41 said:

Drew, just as a heads-up. You mentioned Germany at one point and gay marriage is not legal there. I don't know how a marriage here transfers to a country like that.. but it's definitely worth looking into. They allow same-sex partnerships which grant most of the same legal benefits but it is not considered a marriage.

The possible move to Germany has been in the cards for years.  The disaster of last night moved the timetable up substantially.   For immigration purposes, Germany recognizes foreign same sex marriages.  Albert is getting his Italian citizenship, so we'll both be able to legally live and work in Germany. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

They are also not clinically insane and electing leaders that believe in gay conversion therapy.

The possible move to Germany has been in the cards for years.  The disaster of last night moved the timetable up substantially.   For immigration purposes, Germany recognizes foreign same sex marriages.  Albert is getting his Italian citizenship, so we'll both be able to legally live and work in Germany. 

AWESOME! I know you're not some dumb dumb but when I saw that I didn't know if you had looked past it at some point.

Question, with it illegal there...how does that make you feel? Or Why would you choose a country which still does not allow a same sex marriage? I feel like that would be somewhat of a lateral move.

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

They are also not clinically insane and electing leaders that believe in gay conversion therapy.

Yeah that's just a f@#k'd theory.. No better way to word that.