Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

32 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Time for some Meat, I want to experiance this unlimited eating called Brazillian Steakhouse!

Anyone ever been to one?

This looks awesome!

BrazilianSteakhouse.jpg

Meat-Eater's Mecca Story!

There's one in the STL area(Brazilian unlimited meat restaurant) but it's way out of my way. The gf and I want to try it some time. A guy I work with said it was great. I've just never been..

Verification: Olds started producing trucks for export only in '36. Identical to Chevys except for badges, they went to Australia, Holland & Great Britain. The above is correctly captioned; it's a '37 6-ton forward control Olds COE, with hydrovac brakes & a 2-speed axle. Once war broke out in Europe tho, Olds ceased truck production.

Prior to that, Olds produced limited truck models up thru 1924.

Yeah there's a warranty on the system... but it's kind of a pain to call them when you wake up in the middle of the night freezing yer butt off.  He's got two chuhdren now.  Also, he and his old lady recently factory ordered a 2017 Chevrolet Tahoe.  8)

Edited by ocnblu

So... I know a guy who works at a dealership group that sells Mazda, Hyundai, Dodge, Ram, Chrysler, Jeep, Buick and GMC.  He's hemming and hawing, putting together a list of vehicles to buy.  He's not at all averse to being a company man.  He's looking for something that gets good mileage for his commute, but also has personality and good looks, along with practicality and affordability.

Mazda CX-3

Mazda 3

Hyundai Tucson

Hyundai Accent Sport

Hyundai Elantra GT

Jeep Renegade

Buick Encore

These are the finalists on the "company man" list.  Which is best for the criteria mentioned?

Do we really need a 2nd presidential debate? Are we all not already damaged from the first one and the ignorance of one in particular?

Work calls I think or maybe a good movie, no need to watch TV, what a waste or time. :(

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Anyone ever deal with rats? My parents are elderly and I was cleaning their yard and garden and discovered a bunch of 1.5" holes in the ground.  I am going to get an exterminator, but have no idea what they cost. Anyone ever deal with this?  I fear baiting or poisoning their garden myself, so I am hoping the pros have better tools.

12 hours ago, Wings4Life said:

Anyone ever deal with rats? My parents are elderly and I was cleaning their yard and garden and discovered a bunch of 1.5" holes in the ground.  I am going to get an exterminator, but have no idea what they cost. Anyone ever deal with this?  I fear baiting or poisoning their garden myself, so I am hoping the pros have better tools.

Ya sure they are rats and not moles? Home Depot does have a smoke bomb that actually safely kills the rats / moles. You like the smoke stick, put it into the hole and cover up the opening. I got rid of my mole doing that.

Good luck, they are a pain in the ass to get rid of.

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

So... I know a guy who works at a dealership group that sells Mazda, Hyundai, Dodge, Ram, Chrysler, Jeep, Buick and GMC.  He's hemming and hawing, putting together a list of vehicles to buy.  He's not at all averse to being a company man.  He's looking for something that gets good mileage for his commute, but also has personality and good looks, along with practicality and affordability.

Mazda CX-3

Mazda 3

Hyundai Tucson

Hyundai Accent Sport

Hyundai Elantra GT

Jeep Renegade

Buick Encore

These are the finalists on the "company man" list.  Which is best for the criteria mentioned?

Depends what defines "practicality".  For some being practical just means great mileage and interior room isn't necessary. Some just need as much room as possible and still 35mpg highway. Some might need a capable AWD system because they deal with snow almost 6 months out of the year. Looks are completely up to you. Which ones do you think look the least good that you would probably get sick of looking at? That'd be an easy way to get rid of a couple off of the list.

12 hours ago, Wings4Life said:

I am cringing watching the debate at the moment.

I am embarrassed for our entire country.

I don't know how we allowed these two clowns to get this far.

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)
25 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Ya sure they are rates and not moles? Home Depot does have a smoke bomb that actually safely kills the rats / moles. You like the smoke stick, put it into the hole and cover up the opening. I got rid of my mole doing that.

Good luck, they are a pain in the ass to get rid of.

Moles. That makes more sense. There are endless holes in the lawn and in their garden.  Someone mentioned rats or mice, which did not make a lot of sense.  Thanks, I will look into that.

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I don't know how we allowed these two clowns to get this far.

+1 So true, how come we have gotten to the point of just having the lesser of two evils always as our voters choice.

Makes me solid in my belief that it is now time for the population to demand Term limits. House and Senate should be just like President. Two Terms Max, each term 4 years. No retirement funds, you pay into the same Social Security and Medicare we all do and not a golden parachute pension fund.

• Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

Moles. That makes more sense. There are endless holes in the lawn and in their garden.  Someone mentioned rats or mice, which did not make a lot of sense.  Thanks, I will look into that.

We get moles every year as well.. Almost never do anything about them unless they are really bad for some reason.

42 minutes ago, dfelt said:

+1 So true, how come we have gotten to the point of just having the lesser of two evils always as our voters choice.

Makes me solid in my belief that it is now time for the population to demand Term limits. House and Senate should be just like President. Two Terms Max, each term 4 years. No retirement funds, you pay into the same Social Security and Medicare we all do and not a golden parachute pension fund.

I don't know how it is even possible to NOT have term limits. I mean the president has had term limits..for ever? Right? If the 'most sought after' position has a limit and I believe there are limits for a lot of other positions as well without looking up the terms.. I think some are 2,4 and 6 years...but don't quote me..

I also think there should be massive pay cuts from those positions. Not to try and save money or anything like that but because I want the politicians in office because they want to make the US a better place and not because it is a well paying job and all of the benefits.

I don't mind a retirement fund like we get from our jobs. I'm assuming theirs is MUCH MUCH easier than ours is though. What is theirs like?

26 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I don't mind a retirement fund like we get from our jobs. I'm assuming theirs is MUCH MUCH easier than ours is though. What is theirs like?

CRS, June 13: Members of Congress are eligible for a pension at the age of 62 if they have completed at least five years of service. Members are eligible for a pension at age 50 if they have completed 20 years of service, or at any age after completing 25 years of service. The amount of the pension depends on years of service and the average of the highest three years of salary. By law, the starting amount of a Member’s retirement annuity may not exceed 80% of his or her final salary.

That means that members of the House of Representatives — who are up for reelection every two years — would not be able to collect pensions of any amount if they only served one term. U.S. senators, on the other hand, serve six-year terms and would be able to collect pensions after one full term.

Federal Employees' Retirement System Act of 1986  - This is the new pension fund that congress created for all federal workers including themselves.

Rank-and-File Members:

The current salary (2016) for rank-and-file members of the House and Senate is $174,000 per year.

Congress: Leadership Members' Salary (2016)

Leaders of the House and Senate are paid a higher salary than rank-and-file members.

Senate Leadership

Majority Party Leader - $193,400
Minority Party Leader - $193,400

House Leadership

Speaker of the House - $223,500
Majority Leader - $193,400
Minority Leader - $193,400

Pay Increases 

Members of Congress are eligible to receive the same annual cost-of-living increase given to other federal employees, if any. The raise takes effect automatically on January 1 of each year unless Congress, through passage of a joint resolution, votes to decline it, as Congress has done since 2009.

Yeah, you can easily cut those and half and they are still very well paying jobs.

Pensions. Hate'm..because I don't have one. lol I have to contribute to my own 401k and my company matches but it's my own money put into it. Those listed above making near or above 200k don't even have to contribute 5-10% a year to be able to retire like the rest of us do so it's like a 5-10% raise on top of those numbers.

Ps. thanks for the information! :thumbsup:

On 10/9/2016 at 9:43 PM, Wings4Life said:

I am cringing watching the debate at the moment.

I am embarrassed for our entire country.

Could not finish watching it myself.

...not making any comments as I do not want to stir crap and get banned....

2 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

I'm so confused by that post. ^^^

What is so confusing? I was getting my normal service done and checking out the lot, a guy had just traded in his prancing pony for a CTS-V. :D

Old guy came in with his old Alante and decided he wanted a new cadillac, he loved the bright blue metallic ATS Coupe they had. So traded in his old coupe for a new one. Funny thing is he only drives about 1-2 times a year. Crazy when you have that much extra money I guess, but fun non the less.

14 hours ago, dfelt said:

20161011_145435.jpg

Italian HP traded in for American V power!

20161011_153521.jpg

Just traded in for a new ATS coupe, only 10,324 miles on the odometer.

Love the Allante.

On 10/11/2016 at 9:09 PM, dfelt said:

What is so confusing? I was getting my normal service done and checking out the lot, a guy had just traded in his prancing pony for a CTS-V. :D

Old guy came in with his old Alante and decided he wanted a new cadillac, he loved the bright blue metallic ATS Coupe they had. So traded in his old coupe for a new one. Funny thing is he only drives about 1-2 times a year. Crazy when you have that much extra money I guess, but fun non the less.

I follow now, the first time I looked it over, I thought it was some joke about seeing a Ferrari on the lot and someone buying a used Alante! Didn't see the line under the Alante pic, and I didn't see the shadowy CTS-V in the first pic.

This is the '56 XP-500, known as the 'Free Piston' concept car, heavily similar to the '56 Firebird II (which was turbine-powered, is white, and still owned by GM).

Don't know exact when this shot was taken, but that's the '87 Pontiac Pursuit concept in front of it. Wonder where this one was heading, and where it is now?

56 XP-500 04.JPG

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

$24,560 for a Cruze LT RS hatch with stick, convenience package, and 17" (painted silver?  cannot tell in the photo) wheels.

$27,210 for a Cruze Premiere RS hatch with optional black and machined finish wheels.

Both prices include $500 rebate.

On 10/14/2016 at 3:56 PM, balthazar said:

It just came to my attention that the last FIFTEEN Indy 500 pace cars have been Chevys.
What happened to mixing it up, like was done from 1911-2001 ??

Chevy has an exclusive long-term license with Indy Car for the 500, I would assume.   Other Indy Car series races have used Honda Accords for their pace cars in recent years..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Chevy has an exclusive long-term license with Indy Car for the 500, I would assume.

Not that it's a racing series that interests me… frankly the pace cars are more interesting IMO than the race cars… but poo on the heads of the Indy guys who decided/alllowed this.

20 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

There has also only been two brands in the sport for awhile now. Chevy and Honda. 

Interesting that the two engine suppliers are also the only pace car suppliers..must be a correlation.. :)

I've been to a number of Indy Car series races over the last 7-8 years, in Fontana, Long Beach, Sonoma, Phoenix and Indianapolis..usually get to 1-3 races a year.. it's my favorite overall racing series, moreso than F1 which has become so boring in the last decade or so..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

On 10/15/2016 at 9:43 PM, balthazar said:

This is the '56 XP-500, known as the 'Free Piston' concept car, heavily similar to the '56 Firebird II (which was turbine-powered, is white, and still owned by GM).

Don't know exact when this shot was taken, but that's the '87 Pontiac Pursuit concept in front of it. Wonder where this one was heading, and where it is now?

56 XP-500 04.JPG

Hopefully the 87 Pursuit was not crushed by GM.

12 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

That moment when a bench-racer goes full retard and disagrees with someone's actual first-person experience with cherry picked internet specs.

c78acefc33fe91df44f8741c64ea5ae4.jpg

Happens all of the time!

18 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Arrived in the Catskills for a couple days of car, truck, and motorcycle testing.  Brought the Olds so I get preferred parking. 

1981 Oldsmobile Toronado IMPA FR 2016-1.jpg

Love this photograph!

• Agree 1

Was off-roading this weekend in the Dakota and went through and area that was so tight trees were literally 1 to 2 inches maximum from the mirrors.  Anyway, it got me thinking, why must manufacturers insist on making their off-road beasts as big and as wide as possible???? 

6 minutes ago, Stew said:

Was off-roading this weekend in the Dakota and went through and area that was so tight trees were literally 1 to 2 inches maximum from the mirrors.  Anyway, it got me thinking, why must manufacturers insist on making their off-road beasts as big and as wide as possible???? 

This was why many of the southern Ohio guys were running Suzuki Samurai trucks back in the day. My neighbor built one with a Corvette motor, 44 inch bogger tires, and narrowed F350 axles. It wasn't so small after that.

http://www2.izook.com/?page_id=591

Link has a really crappy pic of the truck on smaller tires.

Look for Tim Porter, hardcore 4 x 4, and a green Samurai.

7081045.jpg

8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This was why many of the southern Ohio guys were running Suzuki Samurai trucks back in the day. My neighbor built one with a Corvette motor, 44 inch bogger tires, and narrowed F350 axles. It wasn't so small after that.

http://www2.izook.com/?page_id=591

Link has a really crappy pic of the truck on smaller tires.

Look for Tim Porter, hardcore 4 x 4, and a green Samurai.

7081045.jpg

Ok, maybe not the one with the huge tires, but these are definitely some very nice and maneuverable off-roaders. 

On 10/16/2016 at 6:44 AM, ocnblu said:

$24,560 for a Cruze LT RS hatch with stick, convenience package, and 17" (painted silver?  cannot tell in the photo) wheels.

$27,210 for a Cruze Premiere RS hatch with optional black and machined finish wheels.

Both prices include $500 rebate.

That's WRX money, methinks I want a bit more of a performance car for that much coin.  Would also buy an Ecoboost Mustang.

2 minutes ago, Stew said:

Ok, maybe not the one with the huge tires, but these are definitely some very nice and maneuverable off-roaders. 

I really like the idea of smaller vehicles, and I love the Samurai's.  I wish they still made something similar.

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

That's WRX money, methinks I want a bit more of a performance car for that much coin.  Would also buy an Ecoboost Mustang.

I really like the idea of smaller vehicles, and I love the Samurai's.  I wish they still made something similar.

There is actually a huge following for Trackers too.  there is actually someone around here trying to sell and utterly and completely modified one with an LS1 swap.  haha.  Wants like 20k for it.  Honestly, if I was rich........

Just now, Stew said:

There is actually a huge following for Trackers too.  there is actually someone around here trying to sell and utterly and completely modified one with an LS1 swap.  haha.  Wants like 20k for it.  Honestly, if I was rich........

I also wish they still made the original 1966-1977 Ford Bronco. Neighbors had one when I was a kid, that thing would go anywhere for hunting or camping.

Tracker was a very good product. Also sad to see these out of production.

A couple years ago, dirt biking up in the Sooke Hills, I came across a Suzuki Samurai with an exoskeleton roll cage. Sure, I've seen this style of cage before, but this one was much different...

It was  a hemisphere cage from front to rear and side to side. i was told 2 guys could roll the thing back on its feet.