Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

I don't have those edit buttons in the above pictured 'Unread content' block.

It only works in custom streams, not the built-in Unread Content. Are you looking under custom streams?  Mine just happens to be named Unread Content.  

On September 30, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

It only works in custom streams, not the built-in Unread Content. Are you looking under custom streams?  Mine just happens to be named Unread Content.  

Made new 'KUSTOM' stream and they are there. Forum is much tidier; I may start posting again. ;)

On 5/25/2015 at 11:41 PM, cp-the-nerd said:

This is my cat Calvin. I took out my phone to get a new picture of him to show my little niece, and he got real excited about my phone and grabbed it. Now my cat has a selfie. He also once stood up and gave me an unsolicited, completely deliberate slap-five for ripping on my girlfriend. She has been jealous of that moment ever since.

Calvin_Selfie.jpg

Cats methinks are often smarter than humans.

12 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Geometric overload:  saw my first new Civic hatch, a battleship gray EX, at the local dealer.

You have my deepest sympathy. Now go to a vintage truck show before that awful image burns itself into your brain and you are more damaged than you already are. Which is sort of saying something, actually.

• Agree 1

My daughter's school sent out calls and messages to parents for receiving threats from these damn clowns. While I believe it's a hoax in this case, how pathetic are we as a nation that dressing up as clowns and making threats to schools and children is a trend that takes hold and spread rather than any movement or cause that actually stands for something or serves a noble purpose.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

My daughter's school sent out calls and messages to parents for receiving threats from these damn clowns. While I believe it's a hoax in this case, how pathetic are we as a nation that dressing up as clowns and making threats to schools and children is a trend that takes hold and spread rather than any movement or cause that actually stands for something or serves a noble purpose.

I was told to blame it on the Bat Man movies with Joker and all the rest of the crazy clowns. ;) JK

@dfelt Hey I wasn't sure where to post this so I figured this will be a decent place for now at least..

I'm looking at houses and considering electricity prices/costs and my local city(town, really) for "residential service" charges 0.0744 per kwh. How is that..? And I mean like.. is that good, bad, average?

This is all of the information I see. I was hoping to find a breakdown by peak, off peak hours.

http://www.highlandil.gov/Public_Documents/HighlandIL_LightPower/Electric_Rates

I'll add @Drew Dowdell as well because..well.. you work in the industry! lol

Thanks, guys!

Ps. I can also start a thread if this becomes a "hot" topic.

Edited by ccap41

5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

@dfelt Hey I wasn't sure where to post this so I figured this will be a decent place for now at least..

I'm looking at houses and considering electricity prices/costs and my local city(town, really) for "residential service" charges 0.0744 per kwh. How is that..? And I mean like.. is that good, bad, average?

This is all of the information I see. I was hoping to find a breakdown by peak, off peak hours.

Thanks, guys!

@ccap41 That is a good rate, one of the lower rates in the nation. So that is very Good. Washington is .06 per KWh, yet with that you have some places that are crazy high. Also, remember that the rate you have you will need to check what the tax's and fees are as that does push it up.

This is a great starting place for rates by state in the US.

http://www.neo.ne.gov/statshtml/204.htm

Washington with all the tax's, etc. comes out as the lowest in the nation at 7.41 cents or .0741 per KWh.

This is an interesting site that is good if you state has options for who supplies your electricity.

https://www.electricchoice.com/electricity-prices-by-state/

Another good source of electric rate info.

http://www.eia.gov/electricity/state/

This is my favorite web site as it shows month by month the rates paid by residential, commercial, Industrial, and Transportation.

http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.cfm?t=epmt_5_6_a

I think this last one will help you best in finding the info you are asking for.

8 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Thanks, guys!

The energy price is only half the bill.  That is a pretty good energy rate. I pay about the same for 100% renewable, but I got a really good deal.. it's actually lower than the coal rate in my area. 

The other half of the bill is the delivery charge.  You can't shop that around, it's the same for everyone in your service area and generally regulated by the states.  It's typically 5.5c kWh - 10c kWh. So when you get your bill the total amount per kWh will be closer to 12c. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The energy price is only half the bill.  That is a pretty good energy rate. I pay about the same for 100% renewable, but I got a really good deal.. it's actually lower than the coal rate in my area. 

The other half of the bill is the delivery charge.  You can't shop that around, it's the same for everyone in your service area and generally regulated by the states.  It's typically 5.5c kWh - 10c kWh. So when you get your bill the total amount per kWh will be closer to 12c. 

In this whole process the gf and I are looking at an old building that is way larger than what we need and I'm worried our gas/electric bills will make it more unaffordable than the building/house itself. We'd be buying it dirt cheap for the size and completely remodeling everything but it's freakin 5000sqft. Is there any way to estimate what that would cost to heat/cool that bastard?

Gutting a 5000 square foot house to insulate, frame for drywall, rewire etc will be very expensive I'm thinking, 

We have a 1700 square foot 100 year old house, and are balking at gutting as it is $200+ per square foot.  Still cheaper than buying one already gutted for 1.6.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

In this whole process the gf and I are looking at an old building that is way larger than what we need and I'm worried our gas/electric bills will make it more unaffordable than the building/house itself. We'd be buying it dirt cheap for the size and completely remodeling everything but it's freakin 5000sqft. Is there any way to estimate what that would cost to heat/cool that bastard?

You can pay to have an energy audit done. Usually done through your local gas or electric utility. That will give you an idea. 

For a building that large and a remodel that large, you may want to look into geothermal. Large upfront cost, but then low low low heating bills.  It also increases the value of the property significantly, usually by as much as you put into installing it. 

9 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You can pay to have an energy audit done. Usually done through your local gas or electric utility. That will give you an idea. 

For a building that large and a remodel that large, you may want to look into geothermal. Large upfront cost, but then low low low heating bills.  It also increases the value of the property significantly, usually by as much as you put into installing it. 

Great idea. Do I talk to the energy company(s) or is that a city thing..?

I want to look into solar panels for it because it has a flat roof and gobs and gobs of space for them. If we could even cover half of the roof and sell back electricity and not pay a dime for electricity and sell some back that would be MONEY.

Buuuuuut.. that all costs a lot.. Dumb question but can geothermal be done with the building already in place? I know almost nothing about it but I just assumed it was something that was done prior to the house/building being put in.

58 minutes ago, frogger said:

Gutting a 5000 square foot house to insulate, frame for drywall, rewire etc will be very expensive I'm thinking, 

We have a 1700 square foot 100 year old house, and are balking at gutting as it is $200+ per square foot.  Still cheaper than buying one already gutted for 1.6.

We don't want much drywall. The exterior walls will be brick. We were quoted 30k for roof/doors/windows/electricity and fixing the brickwork that needs done and any walls we want put up inside(to make rooms because the damn thing is so open). GF's parents know a lot of people from their business and that they've done work with before so we're getting pretty good prices on a lot of the work.

Personally, I'm still not 100% on it because its such a large task and I'm afraid things can easily slip out of out budget quickly.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Is this a house or a warehouse your wanting to turn into a living place?

One thought, which I did, was I brought in a 30 Yard dumper, gutted my house myself, then on the exterior walls after I replaced all plumbing and electrical, had it spray foamed, then came back in and used 1" sheet rock, which gives you a very warm place, dense sound deadening so it stays very quiet inside at night.

If you do go the remodel way, gutting it yourself saves you a ton of money as it is the manual labor that costs. If you want to go 1" sheetrock like I did, then you have to remember to adjust or when installing new electrical box's to adjust for the added wall thickness.

Consider a Barbeque gutting party. Invite friends that would enjoy ripping out the inside, have them come and help gut the place, then feed em. I did this and friends and family loved it. was a blast and took all of about 2-3hrs to gut the whole place.

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I want to look into solar panels for it because it has a flat roof and gobs and gobs of space for them. If we could even cover half of the roof and sell back electricity and not pay a dime for electricity and sell some back that would be MONEY.

Buuuuuut.. that all costs a lot.. Dumb question but can geothermal be done with the building already in place? I know almost nothing about it but I just assumed it was something that was done prior to the house/building being put in.

We don't want much drywall. The exterior walls will be brick. We were quoted 30k for roof/doors/windows/electricity and fixing the brickwork that needs done and any walls we want put up inside(to make rooms because the damn thing is so open). GF's parents know a lot of people from their business and that they've done work with before so we're getting pretty good prices on a lot of the work.

Personally, I'm still not 100% on it because its such a large task and I'm afraid things can easily slip out of out budget quickly.

Here, you just contact your local energy supplier such as PUD and they come and do the audit. I would think the same for you, just contact the local energy supplier in your area and they can come and do the audit.

See if they have a plan, here in Washington state, you can have the local power company come and do the audit, they then have a wide variety of companies they work with to do the installation work and then it is added to your monthly power bill so you pay your bill plus the payment on the work done with interest, but if you do not have allot of money, it is a great way to upgrade and get it done.

17 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

If you've got a yard and can get a driller in there, then you can do geothermal.  For a place that large, you'd probably have to punch three or four 55ft deep holes in the yard.   The nice thing about geothermal is that it does your heat, hot water, and A/C, so it's all one system.  It doesn't use any fuel, it only uses electricity to run the pump and fan blowers. 

One of the things most legitimate solar installers will tell you is that you want to make the building as energy efficient as possible first before you start down the solar route. No point installing solar just to waste it on an inefficient HVAC system.  Tackle the low hanging energy fruit first. 

Are these exposed brick walls on the interior?

51 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Is this a house or a warehouse your wanting to turn into a living place?

One thought, which I did, was I brought in a 30 Yard dumper, gutted my house myself, then on the exterior walls after I replaced all plumbing and electrical, had it spray foamed, then came back in and used 1" sheet rock, which gives you a very warm place, dense sound deadening so it stays very quiet inside at night.

If you do go the remodel way, gutting it yourself saves you a ton of money as it is the manual labor that costs. If you want to go 1" sheetrock like I did, then you have to remember to adjust or when installing new electrical box's to adjust for the added wall thickness.

Consider a Barbeque gutting party. Invite friends that would enjoy ripping out the inside, have them come and help gut the place, then feed em. I did this and friends and family loved it. was a blast and took all of about 2-3hrs to gut the whole place.

It's kind of in the middle.. I forgot what it was originally built for but it was a dance studio for awhile when I was younger and the guy repairs furniture out of it now and lives upstairs.

Oh a house gutting party would definitely be in order. no doubt about that! food, beer, hammers n sh!t. What could go wrong?!?! hahaha

42 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

If you've got a yard and can get a driller in there, then you can do geothermal.  For a place that large, you'd probably have to punch three or four 55ft deep holes in the yard.   The nice thing about geothermal is that it does your heat, hot water, and A/C, so it's all one system.  It doesn't use any fuel, it only uses electricity to run the pump and fan blowers. 

One of the things most legitimate solar installers will tell you is that you want to make the building as energy efficient as possible first before you start down the solar route. No point installing solar just to waste it on an inefficient HVAC system.  Tackle the low hanging energy fruit first. 

Are these exposed brick walls on the interior?

Yeah there is definitely yard to work with. That was also one of my concerns.. how old and inefficient is the HVAC system that will be used to heat/cool this large of a space.

Yes, there is exposed brick on the inside and I think most of it is two bricks thick.

Definately look into geothermal then.  Expose brick interior is virtually impossible to insulate.  Brick and cement are terrible at heat insulation, so no matter what HVAC system you put in, you'll be losing a lot of that energy to the outside world.  Geothermal would mean no fuel to burn to heat the place.   You could, in theory, also do rooftop solar hot water and then use that to do radiant floor heating, but it really depends on how the place is set up. My friends in Germany built their house brand new with solar hot water (and PV, but that's not the point here) and that system will burn you if you aren't careful in the shower. 

Edited by Drew Dowdell
spelling

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Definately look into geothermal then.  Expose brick interior is virtually impossible to insulate.  Brick and cement are terrible at heat insulation, so no matter what HVAC system you put in, you'll be losing a lot of that energy to the outside world.  Geothermal would mean no fuel to burn to heat the place.   You could, in theory, also do rooftop solar hot water and then use that to do radiant floor heating, but it really depends on how the place is set up. My friends in Germany built their house brand new with solar hot water (and PV, but that's not the point here) and that system will burn you if you aren't careful in the shower. 

Drew, I thought you had to be near or have access to underground steam. Can anyone put in geothermal in their house?

Very interested in learning more about the geothermal option.

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

See that's exactly what I told the gf and he response was completely different and I know she has absolutely no background in the topic/situation. And it drives me nuts when I bring it up and she just says that they have a family friend who did the same and their bill "isn't bad". "Isn't bad" is not a dollar amount I can relate to. She claims brick insulates...

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Drew, I thought you had to be near or have access to underground steam. Can anyone put in geothermal in their house?

Very interested in learning more about the geothermal option.

If you're looking to do geothermal electrical generation then yes, you need underground steam.  Geothermal for heating/cooling a house is based on the principle that at a certain depth underground, the earth stays a fairly constant temperature (I seem to recall it being 55 degrees F, but don't quote me).    The geothermal systems they install are basically heat pumps.  You can get an above ground heat pump, but they aren't very effective nor efficient below  about 20 degrees, and virtually useless below 15 degrees. There simply isn't enough heat in the outside air to pump into your house at those temperatures.   By having a constant temperature below ground, you can pump that 55 degrees up into the house, concentrate it, and warm your home.   The systems also work in reverse for air conditioning, you pump the heat out of your house and release it in the earth.  Since all you're doing is pumping heat from outside your house to the inside... or vice versa... all you have to pay for is the electricity to run the pump. There is no fuel to burn and thus no fuel to pay for. 

The downside is the very large up-front costs to install these systems, but if it is a place you think you'll be in for a while, the cost savings and increased property value could make it worth it.  The rough estimate for my 1,700 square foot place was about $25k, but my place is well insulated, so the cost savings over a standard high efficiency gas furnace would never make up the cost. 

Some more info on How GeoThermal Works

heat_transfer.jpg

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

See that's exactly what I told the gf and he response was completely different and I know she has absolutely no background in the topic/situation. And it drives me nuts when I bring it up and she just says that they have a family friend who did the same and their bill "isn't bad". "Isn't bad" is not a dollar amount I can relate to. She claims brick insulates...

Brick insulates, but not much, probably less than R1.  equivalent width in XPS, spray foam etc would likely be more than R10.

https://www.archtoolbox.com/materials-systems/thermal-moisture-protection/rvalues.html

Our double brick 1700 sq foot uninsulated house (aside from attic) costs about 50%+ more than an equivalent decently insulated place, using a 96% high efficiency boiler to heat each month, and we have the heat come on earlier in the year than most due to the leakiness.  I was paying ~$300 a month for gas two winters ago (coooold), $220 or so last winter (not so cold).

Edited by frogger
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, frogger said:

Brick insulates, but not much, probably less than R1.  equivalent width in XPS, spray foam etc would likely be more than R10.

https://www.archtoolbox.com/materials-systems/thermal-moisture-protection/rvalues.html

Our double brick 1700 sq foot uninsulated house (aside from attic) costs about 50%+ more than an equivalent decently insulated place, using a 96% high efficiency boiler to heat each month, and we have the heat come on earlier in the year than most due to the leakiness.  I was paying ~$300 a month for gas two winters ago (coooold), $220 or so last winter (not so cold).

Wow that is some great information and a great link! I was trying to find something with information like that link. You nailed it. Thank you!

• Agree 1

With my new furnace, which is only 93%, but has infinitely variable speed blower and humidity control (important in super cold climates, you can be comfortable at a lower temperature), my well insulated house is only about $100 a month now in the winter. 

My brother spent untold thousands on a geothermal climate system for his house and he's had multiple issues with it.

The more I observe the minimalist, Euro/Sporty box that is the 2017 Kia Rio from video and photographic evidence, the more I like it.

10 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

There are many makes/models of geothermal. Like all major purchases, reliability should be researched.

So because he's my brother, he did not do research before spending all that money?  If he didn't have a wood burning fireplace, he and his family would have been damn cold last winter.

On 10/5/2016 at 3:41 PM, Frisky Dingo said:

Went go kart racing Sunday and took a pretty nasty hit. Pretty sure at this point that I have some bruised/cracked ribs. Hurts like a bitch.

I do not do Karting whatsoever.  I used to flag races at Mid Ohio, Nelson ledges, and other tracks with the SCCA,.  Watching a guy go head first into a concrete wall out of a Kart at well over a hundred miles per hour pretty much convinced me of that. I want a case around me when I race.  Thankfully, I have two daughters who should be graduating from college next year, and my sons employer is picking up his college classes, so i should be able to start racing again next year.

12 hours ago, ocnblu said:

My brother spent untold thousands on a geothermal climate system for his house and he's had multiple issues with it.

The more I observe the minimalist, Euro/Sporty box that is the 2017 Kia Rio from video and photographic evidence, the more I like it.

See, i am just the opposite.  I find the only small cars I really like to be the Abarth 500, Miata, Fiesta ST, BRZ/86 twins.  And even then I have things I really dislike about all of them. Not sure at all of what to do when VW buys my TDI back.

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

So because he's my brother, he did not do research before spending all that money?  If he didn't have a wood burning fireplace, he and his family would have been damn cold last winter.

No, the only thing being your brother means is that he obviously got the brains and the looks in the family (ducks from flying wrench flung towards Ohio.).

We cannot rely on fossil fuels forever, but I am not sure why we are polarized as much as we are in energy discussions-there will still be lots of fossil fueled vehicles thirty years from now, and fossil fuels will still be widely used thirty years from now.

Developing new technology before we run out or have other issues is the rational policy of adults in the room, something both political parties sadly lack.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I thought systems like that and solar have really long warranties that should cover whatever happened.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I thought systems like that and solar have really long warranties that should cover whatever happened.

That was Geothermal.  FWIW Ball State University invested heavily in Geothermal and it is saving them a boatload of money heating and powering a campus in the snow belt.

One bad experience does not invalidate a technology any more than a rusty 73 Vega means that all GM vehicles will disintegrate in six months....

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Even with the best research, someone can get a terrible Honda or a great Fiat. 

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Even with the best research, someone can get a terrible Honda or a great Fiat. 

In any case, lots of very successful Geo thermal installations exist.  Perhaps his brothers could be made to work well.

Just now, ccap41 said:

See now I know you're lying. A great Fiat????? :fryingpan:

Sure... one manufactured by Mazda.

3 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

In any case, lots of very successful Geo thermal installations exist.  Perhaps his brothers could be made to work well.

The thing is... if the holes have already be punched in the back yard, the expensive and complicated part is done. 

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Sure... one manufactured by Mazda.

The thing is... if the holes have already be punched in the back yard, the expensive and complicated part is done. 

A lot of times things can be made to work very well with minimal input.  I have worked in the field as an Electrical and refrigeration service tech, and also as a foreman. the installation seems like it needs some teething and troubleshooting, not abandonment.

12 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Time for some Meat, I want to experiance this unlimited eating called Brazillian Steakhouse!

Anyone ever been to one?

This looks awesome!

BrazilianSteakhouse.jpg

Meat-Eater's Mecca Story!

I've been a couple times.  It was less impressive than I was expecting, but still good. They get pricey for someone like me who only eats smaller portions.