Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

3 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I've lived with insomnia for 25+ years...strong prescription drugs enable me to sleep... 

Can't mess with pills anymore. Worked graveyard for many years and was on Ambien for two of those years. I wouldn't recommend that to my worst enemy. Horrible stuff. Thank goodness I live in Arizona.8)

13 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Can't mess with pills anymore. Worked graveyard for many years and was on Ambien for two of those years. I wouldn't recommend that to my worst enemy. Horrible stuff. Thank goodness I live in Arizona.8)

I took Ambien some years ago, didn't have much luck with it.  Been on Trazodone the last 8/9 years and it's usually effective.  I can't function during the day with less than 6-7 hrs of good sleep.  

• Agree 1

Lucky for me at 48 old years, I still seem to function on 4-5hrs a sleep a night. Cannot seem to go to bed before 11-12am and then body wakes me up at 4-4:30am and I am wide awake, so just get up and go to work. I would not know what to do if I had to sleep more than that, I would feel like I wasted most of my day.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Lucky for me at 48 old years, I still seem to function on 4-5hrs a sleep a night. Cannot seem to go to bed before 11-12am and then body wakes me up at 4-4:30am and I am wide awake, so just get up and go to work. I would not know what to do if I had to sleep more than that, I would feel like I wasted most of my day.

I'm 43 and used to be that way but I try to get to bed at a more reasonable time these days to maximize my sleep, which has been sorely lacking since I was 15. I certainly wish I could get by with 4-5 hours sleep these days though.

At 46, I usually go to sleep between 10-10:30, sometimes earlier.  I usually am up between 5-5:30.  On the weekends I try and stay up an hour earlier and get up later, though the dogs usually wake me.   I try and take an afternoon nap on weekends.  I could always use more sleep, sleep is the ultimate luxury IMO.   

• Agree 1

I detest sleeping. I sleep about 5 hrs on average. Generally wake up @ 6:45 or 7AM (varies depending on what's scheduled). Wish I could narrow that period to more like 3 hrs.
No drugs/prescriptions of any sort, maybe have a beer once every 3 months. I do have heavy drinking penciled in on my Future Calendar, but haven't yet worked out that plan's interaction with my plan to work until I'm 80.

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

I detest sleeping. I sleep about 5 hrs on average. Generally wake up @ 6:45 or 7AM (varies depending on what's scheduled). Wish I could narrow that period to more like 3 hrs. 

That's not something to brag about...plenty of studies have shown negative side affects of a chronic lack of sleep.

1 hour ago, bigpoolog said:

RuFWuwm.gif

Color it brown and it would be reminiscent of an explosive diarrhea episode...

4 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

Actually, that gif is very accurate. It's almost like I get giardiasis when I am sleep deprived. Not a pretty picture, but who's counting?

Been there, done that... when I've been mega stressed and getting poor sleep I get sick, acne, and diarrhea..  when I've been in high stress I take a lot of Vitamin C.    6 weeks of 90 + work hours a week on a project death march back in summer 2011 was pretty rough..gained 10lbs (from catered breakfast/lunch/dinner at the client company).  At least I had a good bill rate... but I really don't remember much of that summer.  I took a week off after that and went to a resort and slept 10-12hrs a day.   One guy on my team experienced kidney failure, and the project lead got shingles and eventually a couple of heart attacks....  

On 9/8/2016 at 8:59 AM, ccap41 said:

From what I read the 2015 Mustang GT was slower than the V6 1LE though. I think the mustang last year ran a 3:05.02... That Alpha Camaro is one badass car no matter what engine it has.

VIR was repaved a couple months ago, so it's not really an apple to apple comparison for times from different years. 

On 9/12/2016 at 11:39 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

That's not something to brag about...plenty of studies have shown negative side affects of a chronic lack of sleep.

Color it brown and it would be reminiscent of an explosive diarrhea episode...

She's on her period.  I woke up at 3:10 this morning.

On September 12, 2016 at 11:39 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Not bragging, just stating my scenario. Everyone is different.
I naturally wake up after 5-6 hours, I'm not depriving myself.
Sometimes I will clock 7-8 hrs, but it's unusual.

EDIT: This Saturday morning; set my phone alarm for 6:56AM but woke before it at 6:48. No work, no where to go, just was done sleeping. Went to sleep around 12:30, so that was around 6.25 hrs.

Edited by balthazar

When I look at pricing on the Encore and Trax and compare them to other small crossovers, the GM fraternals seem pricey.  $28k for a '17 Trax Premiere AWD?  Encore Sport Touring AWD with the new engine is $29k.

One could buy a top of the line Forester or Outback at those prices (but then suffer with a CVT).

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

When I look at pricing on the Encore and Trax and compare them to other small crossovers, the GM fraternals seem pricey.  $28k for a '17 Trax Premiere AWD?  Encore Sport Touring AWD with the new engine is $29k.

One could buy a top of the line Forester or Outback at those prices (but then suffer with a CVT).

Yeah, our alternate for the Encore was the CX5 which when loaded up has everything the Buick has except quiet tuning and (at the time) the better AWD system. Same price for a larger vehicle.  Mazda has made big improvements to their AWD in the meantime, so I would count them about equal now. Back then, the only non-luxury brand that had AWD that was better than the Encore's was Subi.

I am all over the map here.  I've seen the videos where Mazda's Predictive AWD outperforms Subaru in snow.  I've said the CX-3 is too tiny to be an effective CUV... yet I have a Spark on my list.  CX-3 without Bose has 12.4 cu ft of space for groceries which is fine, and 44.5 max cargo space for camping gear.  Both of course larger than a Spark, and max space is only 3 cu ft less than a Sonic or Cruze hatch (the Sonic has a larger max cargo hold than Cruze!)

The CX-5 is a very decent vehicle but it is looking a bit old (like the Sonic, even in '17 guise).  I really want to see the facelifted CX-5... but the CX-3 is gaining ground with me right now. 

Although... Mazdas have an urban look and feel, and I am more a country boy.  Encore is like old money on a country estate, and Trax is not slick like the Mazda, it is more modest and universal, which has its own appeal.  Features for the price though, the Mazda is looking good to me.

• Agree 1

On 9/18/2016 at 5:09 AM, ocnblu said:

I am all over the map here.  I've seen the videos where Mazda's Predictive AWD outperforms Subaru in snow.  I've said the CX-3 is too tiny to be an effective CUV... yet I have a Spark on my list.  CX-3 without Bose has 12.4 cu ft of space for groceries which is fine, and 44.5 max cargo space for camping gear.  Both of course larger than a Spark, and max space is only 3 cu ft less than a Sonic or Cruze hatch (the Sonic has a larger max cargo hold than Cruze!)

The CX-5 is a very decent vehicle but it is looking a bit old (like the Sonic, even in '17 guise).  I really want to see the facelifted CX-5... but the CX-3 is gaining ground with me right now. 

Although... Mazdas have an urban look and feel, and I am more a country boy.  Encore is like old money on a country estate, and Trax is not slick like the Mazda, it is more modest and universal, which has its own appeal.  Features for the price though, the Mazda is looking good to me.

I do not think you will regret the Mazda, and it should be decent on fuel also. Crosstek manual?

On 9/12/2016 at 3:17 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

When you're sorting through 7 years of articles...  M Coupe starts to look a lot like Mini Cooper

Mini is better looking, but I am biased!

1 hour ago, FordCosworth said:

" Ladies and gentlemen, meet your new Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R sales rep. Buy one. You will not go wrong. I am in love with this car. It just works: the level of control, the balance, the stability without understeer. "

I would love one, but I am kind of tired of the Retro Muscle car thing.  I still love them, but want something else for my personal car.

1 hour ago, Stew said:

So, I bought a German and a Japanese this weekend.  I want to get a week out in these before i write reviews though, but here is a pic.

20160917_185835_zps8xxdtkyu.jpg

Not bad choices either one.  VW looks good in grey.

8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I would love one, but I am kind of tired of the Retro Muscle car thing.  I still love them, but want something else for my personal car.

Not bad choices either one.  VW looks good in grey.

Thank you sir.  They will serve their purposes well I think.  Gotta sell the Silverado and the 2WD Dakota, which I am ok with  that since my 4WD Dakota is staying with me.  I have a multi-cultural driveway now haha. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, FordCosworth said:

" Ladies and gentlemen, meet your new Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R sales rep. Buy one. You will not go wrong. I am in love with this car. It just works: the level of control, the balance, the stability without understeer. "

Glad you love your new car. You have your work cut out for you as over the weekend on my road trip I just got back from, it was amazing to hear so many millennials talk about Mustang and Camaro as old people cars reliving their youth.

I just got back from the greater LA area from the burial of my 96 1/2 year old grandma and it was very interesting to listen to my nieces and nephews and other california youth talk about how dated and out of touch these cars are. 

One thing that was clear was the styling was still acceptable, but the powertrain thing was just dated. I did hear a very strong debate that GM or Ford could kill it if they took the Tesla S AWD Ludicrous mode power train and put it in one of these pony cars.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Stew said:

Thank you sir.  They will serve their purposes well I think.  Gotta sell the Silverado and the 2WD Dakota, which I am ok with  that since my 4WD Dakota is staying with me.  I have a multi-cultural driveway now haha. 

I love having owned American, Asian, and European cars.  You only live once, you might as well enjoy a  few different things!

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Glad you love your new car. You have your work cut out for you as over the weekend on my road trip I just got back from, it was amazing to hear so many millennials talk about Mustang and Camaro as old people cars reliving their youth.

I just got back from the greater LA area from the burial of my 96 1/2 year old grandma and it was very interesting to listen to my nieces and nephews and other california youth talk about how dated and out of touch these cars are. 

One thing that was clear was the styling was still acceptable, but the powertrain thing was just dated. I did hear a very strong debate that GM or Ford could kill it if they took the Tesla S AWD Ludicrous mode power train and put it in one of these pony cars.

I so wish it was my new car. That quote is of Randy Probst and his feelings on the GT350R. 

12 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

I so wish it was my new car. That quote is of Randy Probst and his feelings on the GT350R. 

What are your thoughts if it was a pure RWD / AWD EV Pony car?

315 mile battery pack with 420HP and 560lbs of torque from Zero all the way to 10,000 RPM!

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=8&products_id=300&osCsid=lp4a56n4mkff5ujfs17hap8805

This would be awesome to have in either a Mustang or Camaro pony car.

• Disagree 1

56 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I would rather have the Tesla drive train in a newer, modern looking car.  Give me a modern GM sport compact with a GM version of that, and a Tesla 3 with the hot rod electric drivetrain, that would be awesome!

One problem with the Tesla drive train is that it overheats quickly on a road course though.  So give me a vintage Alfa Romeo or something to go vintage racing in, and we are all good.

40 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

59 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Also, yes on the dated thing. I work at a University and have a daughter in high school, I cannot think of a single millennial that gets excited about these cars.

Congratulations to McLaren on winning this year's BDC with the 570S. 

As a GM guy I'm pleased to see that the 1LE was able to provide better numbers than the Z/28 that was a previous BDC winner, while cutting thirty grand off that car's sticker price and using tires that will last longer than a month. The things that kept it from winning were details that were easily fixable (outward visibility, interestingly, was not one of them).  GM realized that relying on yesterday's recipe for success doesn't necessarily work today. 

4 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

productsGalleryHome_papelHigienicoBIG.jpHAH!

Just another reason to think of me when you ascend to the porcelain throne.

So how goes that workout routine, toning up the body for a better life style? Shitting out the bad and in with the good or have we slacked off the slippery slope? ;)

I don't know man, I was looking at domestic compacts today and I think the 6 year old Focus hatch (came out in 2011!) looks better than the brand new Cruze hatch.  The Ford looks rakish, sporty and grown up, with a European flair... where the Chevy looks juvenile, bloated, delicate and under-tired.  I do prefer the Chevy's interior, however.  It seem more airy than the Ford's bunker.

4 hours ago, ccap41 said:

All of last week I was waking up with a core throat, cough, sneezy, and a runny nose..

Bummer, totally sucky when it comes to us adapting to the weather change. O'h how it would have been nice to still be young but with the knowledge we know have. :P

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Bummer, totally sucky when it comes to us adapting to the weather change. O'h how it would have been nice to still be young but with the knowledge we know have. :P

lol I turn 28 this week.. I never used to have allergies but apparently as you age it's common to adapt them.. major bummer.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

lol I turn 28 this week.. I never used to have allergies but apparently as you age it's common to adapt them.. major bummer.

No allergies for me, but creepy crud. Was going around the office last week. I thought I had avoided it, but hit me sunday morning. Everyone better take their vitamins! :P

• Agree 1