Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

16 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

The GT350R is killer!

But more shocking is the Focus RS is .4sec slower than the mighty Charger Hellcat

From what I read the 2015 Mustang GT was slower than the V6 1LE though. I think the mustang last year ran a 3:05.02... That Alpha Camaro is one badass car no matter what engine it has.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

A V6 Camaro is 0.5 seconds behind a Charger Hellcat?! :omfg:

A V8 Camaro is 8.7 seconds ahead of a Charger Hellcat?! :omfg::omfg:

Freakin Crazy for a Hellcat that on paper out powers and torques those two. Wonder why it is so slow?

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Freakin Crazy for a Hellcat that on paper out powers and torques those two. Wonder why it is so slow?

Handling.  Trying to get that thing around a corner without wiping out is a challenge, so they probably had to slow it down. 

• Agree 2

Just now, ccap41 said:

The Hellcats are freakin' boats compared to almost anything left on the road today.. let alone compared to anything even remotely sporty.

It's not just that.  They didn't put the work into the suspension that is really needed for something with that amount of power.  I don't see the CTS-V on that list, but I bet it would wipe the floor with a Hellcat because of all the work Cadillac put into the suspension.  There's only 200lbs difference between the two in curb weight. 

16 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It's not just that.  They didn't put the work into the suspension that is really needed for something with that amount of power.  I don't see the CTS-V on that list, but I bet it would wipe the floor with a Hellcat because of all the work Cadillac put into the suspension.  There's only 200lbs difference between the two in curb weight. 

Somebody told me it ran a 2:56 last year.

I didn't just mean boat in weight. Handling characteristics are more what I meant. You can make a big girl dance if the work was put into the right places. They didn't. They just went balls to the wall in horsepower on an unrefined chassis.

• Agree 3

I thought we were getting stupid drivers in the US, but I think Europe has us beat. It is amazing that they are letting morons drive that clearly should not be driving and talk about messed up road system. As bad as what I found on the east coast of the US.

• Agree 1

You'd probably get to try it out before us " regular " folk do :( as that setup won't be on dealer lots until mid November...

From what I've read it's a night and day difference between the old and new.

Would have been really interesting to see a demo of the new trans coupled to the last gen 3.5L EB just to gauge the trans improvment in itself  

Edited by FordCosworth

14 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

You'd probably get to try it out before us " regular " folk do :( as that setup won't be on dealer lots until mid November...

From what I've read it's a night and day difference between the old and new.

Would have been really interesting to see a demo of the new trans coupled to the last gen 3.5L EB just to gage the trans improvment in itself  

I have a media demo drive in September and one in late October.  These are events where most/all of the manufacturers show up with their newest stuff... so I'm hoping the F-150 attends at least one of them. I'll try to get video of the drive on that one.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have a media demo drive in September and one in late October.  These are events where most/all of the manufacturers show up with their newest stuff... so I'm hoping the F-150 attends at least one of them. I'll try to get video of the drive on that one.

Can we also get a comparison if the more geared transmission truck is faster or slower than the older truck with less gears.

Interesting observation is that I am seeing auto's with less gears outperform those with much more. So is the 10 spd faster than the 8 or 6 sp transmission equipped auto?

8 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Can we also get a comparison if the more geared transmission truck is faster or slower than the older truck with less gears.

Interesting observation is that I am seeing auto's with less gears outperform those with much more. So is the 10 spd faster than the 8 or 6 sp transmission equipped auto?

Virtually impossible unless someone brings a 2015 along and also lets me drive it.  If Ford is bringing the 10-speed out for us to try, I find it highly unlikely that they'd bring a 6-speed model along with them. 

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Virtually impossible unless someone brings a 2015 along and also lets me drive it.  If Ford is bringing the 10-speed out for us to try, I find it highly unlikely that they'd bring a 6-speed model along with them. 

Hopefully there is enough data out there that you will be able to compare an older 2016 with 6 sp near identical in equipment to the new 2017 with 10sp. Would love to see the compare and contrast of the specs in whatever write up you end up doing. :) 

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Hopefully there is enough data out there that you will be able to compare an older 2016 with 6 sp near identical in equipment to the new 2017 with 10sp. Would love to see the compare and contrast of the specs in whatever write up you end up doing. :) 

Well, it's not really going to be a 1 to 1 comparison anyway.  In addition to the new 10-speed, Ford has changed the 3.5 Ecoboost for more power and more torque. Even if they had left the 6-speed in there, I would expect better performance from the engine alone anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Good reminder to leave MT drama at MT... but we're still free to talk about the F-150 review at MT. 

True but you did "like" his post. ...

That is all I'm going to say about it. 

Back to the random part of this,

The NFL has already proven to be a joke after that Carolina/Denver game. "We care about the concussion problem". Yeah. Tell that to Cam Newton. 

Edited by Drew Dowdell

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Sure, because it is a good discussion about the F-150 10-speed. 

@Drew Dowdell You have plenty of great experiance with the auto's, where do you think this transmission will spend the bulk of it's time in regards to the 10 gears it has. Will is skip a few here and there, go 1,3,5,7,10 as it shifts if no load and under heavy load then go through them all?

I am also excited by the change and additional fuel economy I think proper programming can get out of these additional geared transmissions, but I do wonder about the shifting.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

@Drew Dowdell You have plenty of great experiance with the auto's, where do you think this transmission will spend the bulk of it's time in regards to the 10 gears it has. Will is skip a few here and there, go 1,3,5,7,10 as it shifts if no load and under heavy load then go through them all?

I am also excited by the change and additional fuel economy I think proper programming can get out of these additional geared transmissions, but I do wonder about the shifting.

I honestly couldn't render more than a guess until I experience it. That said, the Benz 7-speed starts off in 2nd when not in sport mode. The Chrysler 9-speed will too in varying situations.  The new Benz 9-speed will skip gears I believe while the GM 8-speed RWD will walk you through all of them, even 1st. 

Interestingly, even though it has more gears, the gear ratio spread between 1st and 10th is actually smaller than the 9-speed unit from ZF that Chrysler, Acura, and Land Rover use, it is also smaller than the 8-speed in Porsche's PDK (this is important from a Camaro and Mustang perspective as both will be using the 10-speed).  Reading up on it, it appears that GM has made the claim that the 10-speed in the Camaro ZL-1 can do large jump downshifts... (10th - 5th for example), so I would expect the same unit in an F-150 would be capable of the same, though it depends on how Ford programs their version, for example, you probably wouldn't want to do a 9-4 down shift while towing something, that's a good way to snap something in the powertrain...

I'm not reading anything talking about skip-shift going up a gear, which the new Benz 9-speed can do, however, from the way the design is described, I don't see a physical reason it couldn't perform that move, it may be that Ford and GM don't want to do it for feel and refinement issues. 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Getting old sucks...I'm such a lightweight now with alcohol...had two Four Peaks Kiltlifters with lunch at Lou Malnati's (tasty Chicago style deep dish pizza) and now I feel wasted... :(

You're telling me!  recently I've noticed my tolerance for alcohol dropping, 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Getting old sucks...I'm such a lightweight now with alcohol...had two Four Peaks Kiltlifters with lunch at Lou Malnati's (tasty Chicago style deep dish pizza) and now I feel wasted... :(

Maybe someone slipped you a roofie.

• Disagree 1

16 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

True but you did "like" his post. ...

That is all I'm going to say about it. 

Back to the random part of this,

The NFL has already proven to be a joke after that Carolina/Denver game. "We care about the concussion problem". Yeah. Tell that to Cam Newton. 

He passed 4 of 4 concussion tests after the game. If he had one he would have failed those. One immediately after, one whe leaving the stadium, one prior to the flight, and one when they got back to Carolina. 

14 hours ago, dfelt said:

Ford has said they only expect a 3-4% increase in fuel economy. 

Just totally completely random - I had another refreshing bout of my permanent, insane & manic inducing insomnia last night. 

Also, another random random random random -

I know exactly what I need, but am completely clueless as how to acquire it. And no I'm not talking about medication or drugs. 

And the more I try to work on it, the more confuzzled I get. 

This will help, but it doesn't exist in this universe. Why you holding out on me universe?! I exist because you allow it, and I will demand more existence because I want it!!

big_1459631344_image.jpg