Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

Thought this was pretty cool.

At an awesome auction the other weekend, one of the box lots I bought had about 8 or 9 manual hair trimmers in it (not why I bought the box). The oldest, rustiest pair also worked the most smoothly. I thought, how cool would it be if these were Brown & Sharpe's?' A minor bit of cleaning & the factory stamp was clear : 'Brown & Sharpe, Prov RI'. Last of the 3 patent dates was July 1885.

DSC04689_zpsn0l9fqxk.jpg

Why is this cool? These were one of many devices that the Master of Precision worked on after starting at B&S in 1872. He designed horse clippers that were successfully marketed, then devised a 'human' set, which were also successfully marketed. Who is the Master of Precision?

Henry Martyn Leland, the founder of Cadillac.

Wow, those are awesome! My gf would lose those as she love vintage things and she's a hair stylist.

If by chance you ever wanted to sell those.. give me a heads-up.

Had an hour round-trip ride in a scion xd yesterday. Customer of mine. It was not as horrible as I expected.

Me : "So why did you buy a Scion?"

Her : "Because they're so reliable."

Me : "Toyota's are the most recalled cars out there."

Her : "This is a Scion."

Me : "Same thing…"

Her : "It's been really good for me. Oh, except I had the engine replaced."

Me : "Did you say 'the engine'?"

Her : "Yeah, it would not stop leaking oil."

Me : "So much for being reliable."

Her : "Yeah, I guess so."

Nice woman, but that's a bit touched in the head, IMO.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 3

Ive talked to several Toyota owners myself, Balthy.

Same type of conversations too...with the same predicaments and the same logics.

Its not that particular woman, Balthy,  that is slightly touched in the head.

Its more like most Toyota loyalists that are touched in the head!

Edited by oldshurst442

I will also note that she had a 5-spd manual in it.
From the cars she listed, including early Beetles, I would assume she's been driving manuals for decades. IE; she's not new to it. Oh, and her circa '05 scion has like 130K on it.

I did not enjoy the jerk & surge of being in a manual. The semi-frequent occasions where you have to downshift and wait for the revs to settle & the car move forward… where you lean slightly forward trying to 'will' the car to move forward…. is unsettling. IE; in 'power blasts' with a powerful car, they can be, of course, exhilarating.

In a moderately-powered car, in traffic, no thanks.

• Agree 1

All the Toyota sheeple I spoke too, all drove automatics.

Mind you.

The Scion FR-S guys were REAL car guys and gals!  And yes...manual transmissions.

But those guys never once mentioned 'Toyota reliability' to me.

Just that the FR-S is a great little handling car that they love to thrash around. And the lack of power issue is not even an issue as they understand its all about the handling and not the brute acceleration that is the raison detre for this car and no, they dont want or need more power.

NPR story today;

Atlanta wants to upgrade it's traffic signals.

'There's all this technology that can be incorporated… they can sync and they may be able to be programmed remotely.'

'The problem is, the current traffic signals are "really old" '.

How old, you ask? Apparently, Atlanta has been suffering with signals last replaced in…. 1996. 

Who knew traffic signals were also subject to rapid technological obsolescence?

The 'other shoe' to the story… and you know it was coming ~

The 'smart signals' are expected to cost $100,000 EACH.

^ Oooo; you bad!

- - - - -

Went to an auction in PA today, auction listing had a pic of a vintage anvil. Always wanted one, tho I don't know if I would ever use one.
In researching the brand, I found a guy in the next county who is the 'curator' for the anvil brand, has a private museum of them. Found his FB page, went thru his pics, found one with him in it. Got to the auction, there he was. He sat next to the anvil for a good 3 hours without moving. 

Anvils go for $2-3/lb, this was a 150-lber, that's an average of $375, but it had a cast-iron OEM stand with it; I don't know what those would be worth, but I'd est. $150. That's $525-600. It sold for $700, and yep; to Mr Anvil Collector. My ceiling was $350.

Maybe next time.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

Talk to them, not through them.

Or just don't talk. So, it turns out that the latest Ford GT is the third version of a mid-engine they have done for street use.

Amazing that some Ford fans don't seem to know that :D

The MkIII, in its wire rim glory, would have been quite the sight on the roads during the mid '60...if you're lucky enough to get a glimps.

• Disagree 1

/glimpse

;)

Sometimes it's hard to txt n drive. I'm surprise auto correct didn't correct

Texting and driving is for f@#king losers.
It was sarcasm. Hence the wink
If you had any cred I'd believe you.

But you don't, so I don't.

Edited by El Kabong
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Snide remarks don't come off well when you admit to doing epically douchebag things behind the wheel.

Jes' sayin'

Practice what you preach

Look.

Nobody put a gun to your head and told you to post that you were TEXTING WHILE DRIVING. IN A PUBLIC FORUM, NO LESS.

That's all on you man. I can't help it that you actually did something that daft

Edited by El Kabong

Snide remarks don't come off well when you admit to doing epically douchebag things behind the wheel.

Jes' sayin'

Practice what you preach

Look.

Nobody put a gun to your head and told you to post that you were TEXTING WHILE DRIVING. IN A PUBLIC FORUM, NO LESS.

That's all on you man. I can't help it that you actually did something that daft

You really are the Voice of Drama.

I wasn't texting while driving. It was sarcasm, hence the wink emoticon.