Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

Hmmm. Don't see the emoticon options on mobile. My all time favorite is the toilet one. :toilet: :toiler: (guessed the name. )

Do we have a poo emoticon? Need one.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

Meeting at work this afternoon was pretty random. 2 hr IT dept quarterly meeting with a bunch of slides about statistics on backups and help desk stuff in the offices in the Caribbean, which has very little to do with my development efforts here...

You moved to Maryland and drive an old Chevy pickup for work?  :o  :huh:

The Biltmore neighborhood in central Phoenix, named for the Biltmore resort here.  (in reference to the previous post which mentioned Coronado, another Phoenix neighborhood, and a previous post mentioning Maricopa County).

Totally random: just saw a guy running on the sidewalk carrying what appeared to be a metal trash can lid or a shield high over his head. Right next to a fire station. And the temp reading was 116.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

You moved to Maryland and drive an old Chevy pickup for work?  :o  :huh:

The Biltmore neighborhood in central Phoenix, named for the Biltmore resort here.  (in reference to the previous post which mentioned Coronado, another Phoenix neighborhood, and a previous post mentioning Maricopa County).

Totally random: just saw a guy running on the sidewalk carrying what appeared to be a metal trash can lid or a shield high over his head. Right next to a fire station. And the temp reading was 116.

Only in Phoenix.

• Agree 1

Alf is dead.

I heard the Maricopa County Fair is is looking for clowns and jesters.

Didn't know you lived in that county (since you want to make an obvious insult).

It's not always about you...

My aunt, uncle and 2 cousins live in Coronado.

So you're telling your cousins about those job openings at the fair? I guess they are posters here as well, hence you mentioning this here?

Just curious.

Cool. I live in the Biltmore area and work in Scottsdale.

I used to work right up the road from Biltmore, at MoMoney Pawn at 12th and Indian School.

Edited by surreal1272

Alf is dead.

Didn't know you lived in that county (since you want to make an obvious insult).

So you're telling your cousins about those job openings at the fair? I guess they are posters here as well, hence you mentioning this here?

Just curious.

I used to work right up the road from Biltmore, at MoMoney Pawn at 12th and Indian School.

Jess will work at it again. Daniel, doubt it, as hes 14yrs old and still in 4H ( probably participate in that aspect though ) 

And no neither my cousins post here. Not sure why that matters either.

Alf is dead.

Just curious.

Jess will work at it again. Daniel, doubt it, as hes 14yrs old and still in 4H ( probably participate in that aspect though ) 

And no neither my cousins post here. Not sure why that matters either.

Interesting.

So checking in terms of fitness.

Have lost 5-6 pounds in about 1 months.

I fit in pants and shorts that are 1-2 inches smaller, so basically my older clothes that were catching dust.

I still have a quite a ways to go.

To be honest, I have one pig-out day. It's one day a week where I do manage portions and stuff, but will not generally count calories....

So I'm at 178 pounds, down from 187 when I started 2 months ago.

I think I did gain some muscle. And slowly I do feel as though I have more core strength - some of those activites I can maintain for longer. And I also go to gym classes such as yoga and basketball, you know, real sports, real movement.

So? How ya'll doing yourselves?

• Agree 4

Definitely made progress this year...after 7-8 years of flabbing around at 245-250, I got down to 231 by my birthday at the end of June.   Since then, I've taken off around 4 more pounds.    My goal is to get to around 199 by January 1.  

I'd like to eventually get back to where I was at age 30, 185lbs...   my work is so sedentary in nature, as are my hobbies and interests, and I live in such a harsh climate...I force myself to walk more everyday (tracking steps w/ my Fitbit), try and swim everyday during pool season, cut out junk food and sodas, trying to be smarter about snacks and meals--hard as I am a foodie and love eating... :)  

So checking in terms of fitness.

Have lost 5-6 pounds in about 1 months.

I fit in pants and shorts that are 1-2 inches smaller, so basically my older clothes that were catching dust.

I still have a quite a ways to go.

To be honest, I have one pig-out day. It's one day a week where I do manage portions and stuff, but will not generally count calories....

So I'm at 178 pounds, down from 187 when I started 2 months ago.

I think I did gain some muscle. And slowly I do feel as though I have more core strength - some of those activites I can maintain for longer. And I also go to gym classes such as yoga and basketball, you know, real sports, real movement.

So? How ya'll doing yourselves?

Those are great results! Your approach is the same one I've found is best: moderation and an occasional cheat day with overall healthy/active living. That's how you keep yourself happy and motivated, rather than burning yourself out with strict rules you're bound to break at some point just to get a breather. Breaking the "rules" once tends to open the flood gates.

Sports are a great option. I play in softball and dodgeball leagues myself. My favorite method for strength training is core-type exercises like you also mentioned, specifically calisthenics like push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups. Once you can do 30-50 push-ups and 10-15 pull-ups, your everyday usable physical strength is excellent.

My problem has always been sticking with cardio exercise. I HATE running on the treadmill (or anywhere, really). Hate it. I get burned out on it every time. That seems to be the case for many people. For me, that's where Pokemon Go is convenient. I've basically tricked myself into walking 45 miles in 3 weeks for "fun." I don't have a good weight scale in the house, but I'm pretty sure I've lost an inch off my waist.

• Agree 1

I just use a $20 "iron gym" (as seen on tv) pull up bar for any doorway with standard trim around it. I'm 190+ lbs and use it with a 40 lb weight vest, no problems as far being sturdy enough. I think the limit is 300 lbs.

I tried one of these once and I still have the bump to prove it. My 280 6'6" shreck frame does not make for these trip supported door way opening bars to work.  :dizzy:

Saw this and thought "well, at least they got some fresh air and exercise" (sarcasm wholly intended here).

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/183993920-story

While I was in Toronto and Niagara Falls last week:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/pokemon-go-player-almost-hit-by-driver-also-playing-pokemon-go

At 2:00 AM in a parking lot.

A driver in a car nearly ran over a pedestrian in a parking lot and BOTH were playing Pokeman Go...

At least the pedestrian was on foot and getting her exercise.  :closedeyes:

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

So I'm not sure what happened to the tools that would allow me to add links, pictures, bold text, italicize text, add emoticons, etc. all went. Is it just my computer?

I just realized it is only on Chrome. It works fine on Internet Explorer..?

Edited by ccap41

I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else that the center of gravity for the Mustang and Camaro came up and that the Mustang's was actually lower but I stumbled across the article.

Here it is:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2016-chevrolet-camaro-ss-vs-2015-ford-mustang-gt-final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-4

What does that .5-in lower CG gain the Mustang, exactly?

Oh it isn't a better performer than the Camaro overall and it was surprising to know that it was lower at all. I was just saying because it came up somewhere and I wasn't sure where.. Still a neat thing to know because I wouldn't have guessed it because the Camaro is the handler of the two.

What does that .5-in lower CG gain the Mustang, exactly?

RIGHT!  :scratchchin:

So the Mustang is .5 lower CG, yet everything else is destroyed by the Camaro. The interior style, comfort, ergonomics, and styling comes across as Car and Driver is just throwing a bone to Ford as the Mustang is destroyed by the Camaro.

Thought this was pretty cool.
At an awesome auction the other weekend, one of the box lots I bought had about 8 or 9 manual hair trimmers in it (not why I bought the box). The oldest, rustiest pair also worked the most smoothly. I thought, how cool would it be if these were Brown & Sharpe's?' A minor bit of cleaning & the factory stamp was clear : 'Brown & Sharpe, Prov RI'. Last of the 3 patent dates was July 1885.

DSC04689_zpsn0l9fqxk.jpg

Why is this cool? These were one of many devices that the Master of Precision worked on after starting at B&S in 1872. He designed horse clippers that were successfully marketed, then devised a 'human' set, which were also successfully marketed. Who is the Master of Precision?

Henry Martyn Leland, the founder of Cadillac.