Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

I just noticed something about the Aviator.

4cb79bf4dd2149e8b3e04d8a186dc861.jpg

That armrest flips up to a storage container underneath, a Lincoln-specific feature that dates back to the 80s Lincolns, Continental specifically.  I loved that extra bit of storage in my Continental. It was a tidy and easy to reach place for me to store fuel and turnpike receipts to turn in for reimbursement without stuffing them in the glovebox or wallet.  The car didn't have a center console, but even then, mine in the Avalanche can get messy with receipts.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Great Idea! 1

40 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

So, if you want a truck, why look at the Aviator?  (Genuine question, trying to sus out the desire here) What are the desired traits?

Yeah, it doesn't exactly make sense... 

Well, we have a 2nd little one on the way this winter (due date is the same birthday of our 1st, Hahaha). It's impressive how quickly space gets eaten up with kid(s) and their sht. The child seat is already just brushing up against the back of my driver's seat and I'm not tall. I'm 5'8". Stuff is just bulky and there will be two. I'm feeling the need for more space. 

Our place is still far from being completed, hence wanting a truck. My dad lets me borrow his Taco anytime I want, but it's pretty inconvenient.

I've considered a newer hybrid F150 as well. That's up there with the Lightning. I really don't want to be paying for a vehicle that's also a whole lot less efficient and the hybrid F150 supposedly averages about what I get now. The Aviator will be significantly worse, but it'll be cheaper and larger so..it's kind of whatever.  I really just like the interior space of a full-size truck. I've looked at Avalanches, like yours, but they're pretty pricey for a decent one. That kind of falls into the category of "if I'm getting a loan, I kind of just want to REALLY want the vehicle". 

23 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I just noticed something about the Aviator.

4cb79bf4dd2149e8b3e04d8a186dc861.jpg

That armrest flips up to a storage container underneath, a Lincoln-specific feature that dates back to the 80s Lincolns, Continental specifically.  I loved that extra bit of storage in my Continental. It was a tidy and easy to reach place for me to store fuel and turnpike receipts to turn in for reimbursement without stuffing them in the glovebox or wallet.  The car didn't have a center console, but even then, mine in the Avalanche can get messy with receipts.

Yeah, those little pockets are awesome! The wife's SVR has those, actually. I love'em. 

Edited by ccap41

37 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Well, we have a 2nd little one on the way this winter (due date is the same birthday of our 1st, Hahaha).  

I guess you and your wife have a standing date night on the same day each year? :P

It's impressive how quickly space gets eaten up with kid(s) and their sht. The child seat is already just brushing up against the back of my driver's seat and I'm not tall. I'm 5'8". Stuff is just bulky and there will be two. I'm feeling the need for more space. 

You are sooooo on track for a minivan.  Keep the MKC and eventually pick up a Pacifica Plug-In Hybrid. That way, you can still have the MKC as a daily and then the mini-van for dad duty.  Plus when you take the seats out, they have so much room. The Pacifica is also easily the most comfortable riding of all of the mini-vans. The Honda is the sportiest, the Kia is the most available luxury, the Toyota is somewhere in the middle. And you can get a 2022 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L with adaptive cruise and rear entertainment for like $25k

Our place is still far from being completed, hence wanting a truck. My dad lets me borrow his Taco anytime I want, but it's pretty inconvenient.

Two options:

1. Save up your order until its big enough to make sense for Lowes to deliver it, and they deliver for like $50, no size limit, often times next day.
2. How close is your local U-Haul? I've got two very close to me and I can go get a trailer for 4-hours for like $20. I'm sure either the MKC or Rover can tow it. Set up an online account for U-haul and the process can be super quick.

In either case, the final cost will be lower than $100 weekly fillups from running around in a 150/1500 size truck. 

I've looked at Avalanches, like yours, but they're pretty pricey for a decent one.

They have one of the best owner retention rates of any truck, still today.  People keep them forever and then go out and buy another used one. But the newest ones are 11 years old now and there were only 17k of them built in the final year, so your chances of finding a decent one are dwindling by the day.

I'm speaking from the heart here when I say this. I absolutely LOVE my Avalanche, but there are times when I really wish for something smaller. I'm seriously thinking of going with an R1T instead of the EValanche for myself when the time comes.  I know you are doing construction, but it's just not worth the gasoline costs and hassle of wheeling around such a big vehicle day to day.  If I had the space for a fourth (6th?) vehicle, I could see myself getting a final-gen Volt or ELR to run around in most days. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You are sooooo on track for a minivan.  Keep the MKC and eventually pick up a Pacifica Plug-In Hybrid. That way, you can still have the MKC as a daily and then the mini-van for dad duty.  Plus when you take the seats out, they have so much room. The Pacifica is also easily the most comfortable riding of all of the mini-vans. The Honda is the sportiest, the Kia is the most available luxury, the Toyota is somewhere in the middle. And you can get a 2022 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L with adaptive cruise and rear entertainment for like $25k

Are you sure the Hybrid Minivan is a good solution as I keep reading stories on all types of quality issues from the powertrain to interior and now we have this recall with Stellantis telling owners to park outside due to fire risk.

Stellantis tells owners of over 24,000 hybrid minivans to park outdoors due to battery fire risk (msn.com)

18 minutes ago, G. David Felt said:

Are you sure the Hybrid Minivan is a good solution as I keep reading stories on all types of quality issues from the powertrain to interior and now we have this recall with Stellantis telling owners to park outside due to fire risk.

Stellantis tells owners of over 24,000 hybrid minivans to park outdoors due to battery fire risk (msn.com)

I was unaware of that recall, but the one I recommend was a 2022 and has a newer battery design

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2024 at 4:10 PM, ccap41 said:

Ya know what I've been wanting recently? I have been wanting an 03-05 Lincoln Aviator. I want the size, I want a V8, I LOVE the sound of the Ford modular 4.6L V8. 

2003-Lincoln-Aviator-IT-100139005-20.png

Wow.  Interesting dashboard. Rectilinear and curved ... but more rectilinear!

Definitely Lincoln styling vocabulary and not much GM seen here.

I know what driving a Ford SOHC 4.6L V8 felt like ... as in very good.  However, I am not remembering its sound.  For some reason, low displacement V8s, especially when newer and have intact exhaust systems, tend to purr beautifully.

• Like 1

What I was really randomly thinking:   reminiscing ... something I saw in Yosemite National Park when I went with my parents on a cool overcast November day and was smitten ... with both the national park and this ...

76-Bonnie-coupe-e1350253092209.jpg?resiz

... except that it was dark metallic forest green with an apple green landau and interior.

Look at the stupid things on this one:  manual windows, a vanilla looking bench seat, and black seat belts.

These looked good with either the rear wheel skirt or without ... but I prefer them without it.  It looks like they can easily be removed.  The fully exposed rear rally wheel makes it look less chunky and more sporty.

- - - - -

I was looking at where this car and the other GM stablemates went with the 1977 downsizing.  Except for the Cadillac, I didn't like most of them, since they went too slab-like and lost most rounded elements.  The full-size Pontiac floundered from the late '70s to the mid '80s, right down to occasionally oddly proportioned styling and a weird assortment of engines that they came with ... and that came and went.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

What I was really randomly thinking:   reminiscing ... something I saw in Yosemite National Park when I went with my parents on a cool overcast November day and was smitten ... with both the national park and this ...

76-Bonnie-coupe-e1350253092209.jpg?resiz

... except that it was dark metallic forest green with an apple green landau and interior.

Look at the stupid things on this one:  manual windows, a vanilla looking bench seat, and black seat belts.

These looked good with either the rear wheel skirt or without ... but I prefer them without it.  It looks like they can easily be removed.  The fully exposed rear rally wheel makes it look less chunky and more sporty.

- - - - -

I was looking at where this car and the other GM stablemates went with the 1977 downsizing.  Except for the Cadillac, I didn't like most of them, since they went too slab-like and lost most rounded elements.  The full-size Pontiac floundered from the late '70s to the mid '80s, right down to occasionally oddly proportioned styling and a weird assortment of engines that they came with ... and that came and went.

If that rear skirt was removed, you ended up with an untrimmed wheel arch and it would look mismatched from the front. 

• Great Idea! 1

15 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I guess you and your wife have a standing date night on the same day each year? :P

Hahaha well our first was due Jan 5th and she was 2.5 weeks early. 

16 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Ehhhh I...just...don't want a minivan... I wouldn't mind us having one for the overall utility and convenience, but I don't think I want to drive one of those every day. But, who knows what I'll think in a year or two when I have two kids running around and approaching school and activities-age. 

16 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Two options:

1. Save up your order until its big enough to make sense for Lowes to deliver it, and they deliver for like $50, no size limit, often times next day.
2. How close is your local U-Haul? I've got two very close to me and I can go get a trailer for 4-hours for like $20. I'm sure either the MKC or Rover can tow it. Set up an online account for U-haul and the process can be super quick.

In either case, the final cost will be lower than $100 weekly fillups from running around in a 150/1500 size truck. 

Part of that is why I want a Lightning. I don't want a $100 gasoline bill per week or thereabouts. If the hybrid *actually* gets its 23/23 rating, then that's about my lifetime MKC average anyway (22.6mpg over 52,234 miles of ownership).

Our bulk orders will be filled like that anyway for things like 2x4s, drywall, insulation. We have a local lumberyard that delivered for free in the past, although I doubt it's free now, because we were only like 2 miles from them. 

I do believe there's a U-haul dealership in town but if I'm doing that, I'm just borrowing my dad's Taco. He's told me not to buy a truck because I can use his anytime. So there is that. He genuinely does not mind me borrowing it any time. 

10 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I know what driving a Ford SOHC 4.6L V8 felt like ... as in very good.  However, I am not remembering its sound.  For some reason, low displacement V8s, especially when newer and have intact exhaust systems, tend to purr beautifully.

The DOHC is another ~60hp/50tq over the SOHC one. I believe in the Mustang GT it was 240hp/270tq and in the Mach 1 it was 305hp/320tq. I LOVE how the ford 4.6's sound. I can't get enough of how they sound. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Ehhhh I...just...don't want a minivan... I wouldn't mind us having one for the overall utility and convenience, but I don't think I want to drive one of those every day. But, who knows what I'll think in a year or two when I have two kids running around and approaching school and activities-age. 

You say that now.....  but once you've got two little ones only 1 year apart, you're gonna be rocking the man-van.  And honestly, they aren't at all bad to drive. I'm quite aware it is an image thing, but they have the ride height with more utility, and they have a soft ride like a car.   But that's also why I suggested keeping the MKC and finding a van for the dad duty stuff.  In about 3 years, those rear screens will be useful for you to start memorizing the Bluey theme song.

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Part of that is why I want a Lightning. I don't want a $100 gasoline bill per week or thereabouts. If the hybrid *actually* gets its 23/23 rating, then that's about my lifetime MKC average anyway (22.6mpg over 52,234 miles of ownership).

Have you figured out a charging situation at home yet?  You don't want to be charging a Lightning on a 110v outlet. You might be able to get away with it on something with a smaller battery, but not a full-size truck.  The F-150 Hybrid could potentially beat your MKC in lifetime mpg, depending on your driving patterns.  You'll be in EV mode more often if you're predominantly suburban driving. 

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Our bulk orders will be filled like that anyway for things like 2x4s, drywall, insulation. We have a local lumberyard that delivered for free in the past, although I doubt it's free now, because we were only like 2 miles from them. 

I do believe there's a U-haul dealership in town but if I'm doing that, I'm just borrowing my dad's Taco. He's told me not to buy a truck because I can use his anytime. So there is that. He genuinely does not mind me borrowing it any time. 

Yeah, your dad is right on this one. It's a bit hypocritical of me to say not to buy a truck, but I keep mine parked as much as possible and use the 300 or bike as much as I can.  There's a new job I'm going for, and if I get it, I'll be using public transit as often as I can.

@ccap41 I will say that I actually sat in this and checked it out and I am impressed with the SUV looking Kia Carnival MiniVan. Cool that a Hybrid is available with the 2025 model year.
2025 Kia Carnival: Best-in-Class Cargo & Passenger Room MPV | MSRP & Features | Kia

16 minutes ago, G. David Felt said:

@ccap41 I will say that I actually sat in this and checked it out and I am impressed with the SUV looking Kia Carnival MiniVan. Cool that a Hybrid is available with the 2025 model year.
2025 Kia Carnival: Best-in-Class Cargo & Passenger Room MPV | MSRP & Features | Kia

That'll be like $43k minimum to get the hybrid.

So, I had Google Maps on Android Auto as I drove around the Montreal area.

My default is (American) English and the verbal instructions are given by an English speaker who also Anglicizes the names of the streets.

This will sound sexist, but the pronunciations in other languages reflecting where I've driven reminds me of the 2.7-ish dumb blonde you've had in language classes in high school or college.  I say this because some girls got all exasperated much like Chrissie on "Three's Company" would and whine "this is sooo haaaard" as they mispronounce things while reciting.  The 2.7-ish dumb jock would also say them like he wasn't the brightest bulb and act yuk-yuk-yuk while reciting.  Well, I hope they at least mastered "dos cervezas, por favor" for any cruise they might take to the Mexican Riviera.

So, in French speaking Montreal, Google Maps lady calls out:

1.  Boulevard Lakkady

That would be Boulevard de l'Acadie, with reference to Acadia National Park and the general area of Acadia, so she bastardized a beautiful place in Maine

2.  Kristoff Column

That would be Christophe Colomb, as in Christopher Columbus

There were many other "dumb blonde" mispronunciations during those days ... she fares a little bit better in Spanish and Portuguese.  Just a little bit.

* end of rant *

Edited by trinacriabob

5 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

So, I had Google Maps on Android Auto as I drove around the Montreal area.

My default is (American) English and the verbal instructions are given by an English speaker who also Anglicizes the names of the streets.

This will sound sexist, but the pronunciations in other languages reflecting where I've driven reminds me of the 2.7-ish dumb blonde you've had in language classes in high school or college.  I say this because some girls got all exasperated much like Chrissie on "Three's Company" would and whine "this is sooo haaaard" as they mispronounce things while reciting.  The 2.7-ish dumb jock would also say them like he wasn't the brightest bulb and act yuk-yuk-yuk while reciting.  Well, I hope they at least mastered "dos cervezas, por favor" for any cruise they might take to the Mexican Riviera.

So, in French speaking Montreal, Google Maps lady calls out:

1.  Boulevard Lakkady

That would be Boulevard de l'Acadie, with reference to Acadia National Park and the general area of Acadia, so she bastardized a beautiful place in Maine

2.  Kristoff Column

That would be Christophe Colomb, as in Christopher Columbus

There were many other "dumb blonde" mispronunciations during those days ... she fares a little bit better in Spanish and Portuguese.  Just a little bit.

* end of rant *

I use the Minions voice in Waze.

• Haha 2
  • Great Idea! 2

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

If that rear skirt was removed, you ended up with an untrimmed wheel arch and it would look mismatched from the front. 

You're right ... it would also have to be trimmed out.  I don't think wheel well skirts were the way to go since Pontiac tried to purvey the image of being the sportiest among the full-sized GM boulevardiers and the skirts don't work well with their trademark rally wheels.

Also, as I got closer to that Bonneville coupe in Yosemite, I believe the fabric seats had this cool tweed-like look - in that apple green I mentioned - instead of the over the top velour pillowed seats you might see in the upline Grandville Brougham.

I would have loved to have driven one of these cars at some point just to see what they feel like.  I'm sure they're fine on the freeway, but it would be interesting to know how they behave on the 2-lane mountain roads into Yosemite and other mountain destinations.

• Agree 1

Have you figured out a charging situation at home yet?  You don't want to be charging a Lightning on a 110v outlet. You might be able to get away with it on something with a smaller battery, but not a full-size truck.  The F-150 Hybrid could potentially beat your MKC in lifetime mpg, depending on your driving patterns.  You'll be in EV mode more often if you're predominantly suburban driving. 

I haven't actually done anything about it but we have plenty of power and the electric box is mounted on an exterior wall and I'm sure it would be as simple as running wire through the wall and mounting a charger outside. We still don't have a garage so I'm a little iffy if I want anything electric until that's done, so it can be inside. I know they make exterior chargers, but I'd just feel better if it was inside. 

Yeah, your dad is right on this one. It's a bit hypocritical of me to say not to buy a truck, but I keep mine parked as much as possible and use the 300 or bike as much as I can.  There's a new job I'm going for, and if I get it, I'll be using public transit as often as I can.

Yaaay, public transit! I take a bus every day to STL. I drive 1 mile to the bus and the bus does the remaining 29 miles. I did the math a couple years ago and I think in just fuel, I saved like 15k in the 7 or 8 years I had been here. Tomorrow will actually be my 10-year anniversary at my company. I'm sure my savings are around 20k in gasoline alone, let alone maintenance and tires. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

I haven't actually done anything about it but we have plenty of power and the electric box is mounted on an exterior wall and I'm sure it would be as simple as running wire through the wall and mounting a charger outside. We still don't have a garage so I'm a little iffy if I want anything electric until that's done, so it can be inside. I know they make exterior chargers, but I'd just feel better if it was inside. 

They have lockable boxes you can mount the charger in.  I agree that there's no rush to get the charger, but if you're already doing construction work inside, run at least any conduit or wiring needed now and leave it disconnected. 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yaaay, public transit! I take a bus every day to STL. I drive 1 mile to the bus and the bus does the remaining 29 miles. I did the math a couple years ago and I think in just fuel, I saved like 15k in the 7 or 8 years I had been here. Tomorrow will actually be my 10-year anniversary at my company. I'm sure my savings are around 20k in gasoline alone, let alone maintenance and tires. 

I found out about 30 minutes ago that I didn't get the job.  Back to the drawing board, I guess.  I hate job hunting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I found out about 30 minutes ago that I didn't get the job.  Back to the drawing board, I guess.  I hate job hunting.

Damn, sorry about that. I've been job hunting this whole year, fairly passively. But I was recently offered a team lead position, but I have to pass a few tests, so I'm studying for those. 

I've had a bunch of phone interviews and a few actual interviews (Anheuser-Busch, Boeing, and Worldwide Technology). Now that I've been offered the Team Lead position, I've stopped looking. I mostly just feel like I'm more valuable and "should" be making more money. With them offering this, I definitely feel like they know I can handle it and want me around. 

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

It seems like you can't wipe your behind these days without getting a survey sent to you.

Then, when you get around to responding to it, it has stale dated.

• Agree 2

22 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Bummer to hear you did not get it, but I do believe the right job will find you and life will be even better for you because of it. All the best in your job search.

• Agree 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Today marks yet another anniversary of the sinking of the "Andrea Doria," just the night before she was due in to New York.

image.thumb.png.8e0fdd006d0489ea8cfc2d5ba5baf320.png

My parents knew young couples, some of them with toddlers, who were moving to the U.S. on tranquil completed crossings, but also one couple who did not yet have children but were on the ship on the crossing on which the collision with the "Stockholm" occurred.

I am in the New York City area right now.

Life is weird ... that's for sure.

• Agree 2

Several of my friends have asked me, "What, you never saw that Seinfeld episode?!?"

I'm seeing it for the first time.  It's funny.

I thought "Seinfeld" was boring ... too slow.

The only episode I've watched was the "Assman" episode.  Kramer, in my mind, was the only funny character on the show.

11 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Several of my friends have asked me, "What, you never saw that Seinfeld episode?!?"

I'm seeing it for the first time.  It's funny.

I thought "Seinfeld" was boring ... too slow.

The only episode I've watched was the "Assman" episode.  Kramer, in my mind, was the only funny character on the show.

I honestly have tried a couple times and Seinfeld is just not funny nor interesting to me, I feel like I deserve a refund for my time wasted on that show. 

That also is why I tend to not watch much TV unless I stream a movie as I would rather be out living life than sitting in front of the tube being programmed at.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, G. David Felt said:

I honestly have tried a couple times and Seinfeld is just not funny nor interesting to me, I feel like I deserve a refund for my time wasted on that show. 

That also is why I tend to not watch much TV unless I stream a movie as I would rather be out living life than sitting in front of the tube being programmed at.

Most TV shows and sitcoms that take place in the same 1 to 3 rooms test my patience.  Maybe that's why I might watch documentaries and police shows, and very rarely at that, or watch movies I've read about in advance and want to see.

• Agree 1

In a happy place ... for me, anyway ...

20240727_172437.thumb.jpg.598286b0d760632508dfcb1521e04361.jpg

... with Lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty beyond and a Staten Island Ferry that was at the ship's side for a while on the way out to sea.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

In a happy place ... for me, anyway ...

20240727_172437.thumb.jpg.598286b0d760632508dfcb1521e04361.jpg

... with Lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty beyond and a Staten Island Ferry that was at the ship's side for a while on the way out to sea.

What a view.. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

30 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

A 1,067HP Vette ZR1 was just announced the other day and not one word of it here. Very disappointing. 

Drew has told me he had the story to go up, so I did not post anything.

This was the official press release:

2025 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1: The Fastest, Most Powerful Corvette Ever

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, G. David Felt said:

Drew has told me he had the story to go up, so I did not post anything.

This was the official press release:

2025 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1: The Fastest, Most Powerful Corvette Ever

As the saying goes, "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it."

That said, I'm afraid to ask the price.

I appreciate the Corvette for what it represents, but I was never an aficionado.  This last rework to mid-engine has gotten me to look at them and run through some color combos I might like.  But it won't be happening.  It would be a fun second car for a person of means.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

As the saying goes, "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it."

That said, I'm afraid to ask the price.

I appreciate the Corvette for what it represents, but I was never an aficionado.  This last rework to mid-engine has gotten me to look at them and run through some color combos I might like.  But it won't be happening.  It would be a fun second car for a person of means.

I am expecting this corvette to start around $175,000 and run up to $250,000 before crazy dealership markups.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Not a humorous topic since I didn't yet know where in the Caribbean Debby is brewing, but it doesn't look like "Debby Does Dallas" is going to happen.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Not a humorous topic since I didn't yet know where in the Caribbean Debby is brewing, but it doesn't look like "Debby Does Dallas" is going to happen.

Glad my trip to my company HQ in Plano this week got cancelled. I hate getting stuck at DFW in inclement weather. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Glad my trip to my company HQ in Plano this week got cancelled. I hate getting stuck at DFW in inclement weather. 

Not a big fan of DFW airport to begin with.  Nor that general area.  The grounds look parched and sparsely vegetated.

In Texas, it's Houston that comes to mind if there's a hurricane forming in the Gulf.  If in that area, I tend to stay by Johnson Space Center so it's almost equidistant to downtown Houston and the beach at Galveston.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Not a big fan of DFW airport to begin with.  Nor that general area.  The grounds look parched and sparsely vegetated.

DFW is an area of infinite sprawl and many, many freeways...reminds me of a larger version of the Phoenix East Valley metro area---beige, flat, dull with generic construction.   Good BBQ though. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

DFW is an area of infinite sprawl and many, many freeways...reminds me of a larger version of the Phoenix East Valley metro area---beige, flat, dull with generic construction.   Good BBQ though. 

Agree, always a great variety of BBQ, loved eating here: Spring Creek Barbeque
The unlimited hot fresh dinner rolls that were buttery right out of the oven, so good you could eat them as is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

3 minutes ago, G. David Felt said:

Agree, always a great variety of BBQ, loved eating here: Spring Creek Barbeque
The unlimited hot fresh dinner rolls that were buttery right out of the oven, so good you could eat them as is.

Yum..sounds tasty.  I like Hard Eight, been there a couple of times.. https://hardeightbbq.com.

One of my favorite eateries in Plano is The Biscuit Bar at the Boardwalk at Granite Park, right across from my office.  https://www.thebiscuit.bar

• Oh Yeah! 1

21 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

DFW is an area of infinite sprawl and many, many freeways...reminds me of a larger version of the Phoenix East Valley metro area---beige, flat, dull with generic construction.   

Which then leads me to ask why it has such rabid fans and defenders ... not necessarily sports fans.  Maybe it was the older, simpler Dallas.  A ride on the Orange or Green train from downtown to DFW will speak volumes about the lanscape you speak about.  H-town has its problems and negatives, but there are some nicer "newer" subdivisions of all brick homes sitting under a thick pine canopy that you could barely see through from the air ... a look I really like and a taste that was cultivated when I lived in Atlanta for a couple of years.

4 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Which then leads me to ask why it has such rabid fans and defenders ... not necessarily sports fans.  Maybe it was the older, simpler Dallas.  A ride on the Orange or Green train from downtown to DFW will speak volumes about the lanscape you speak about.  H-town has its problems and negatives, but there are some nicer "newer" subdivisions of all brick homes sitting under a thick pine canopy that you could barely see through from the air ... a look I really like and a taste that was cultivated when I lived in Atlanta for a couple of years.

I honestly do not get the rabid fans of the DFW area. I owned a home on Grapevine Lake north of the mid-city area and for the year we lived there before moving back to the PNW it was a hot, flat blahness of an area. 

I miss the BBQ, but I do not miss the snakes in the lake coming up onto the yard and trying to get into the house. Water Moccasins are nasty, and I am glad to not live there.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Happy Birthday @smk4565!!

:congrats:

Sorry @surreal1272 I have some ongoing health issues that are keeping me away.  After a year of tests, I finally might have an explanation and path for treatment. 

So Happy to hear you might have a path forward for your health and very happy you are here posting.

Some very interesting reading:

EVs May Get Cheaper Than Gas Cars As Early As Next Year. Here’s Why (insideevs.com)

1,000-mile EV road trip reveals pain points and surprising benefits : NPR

Red-State Republicans Say They’ll Defend Biden-Era Green Jobs - Bloomberg

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

On 8/6/2024 at 1:43 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Happy Birthday @smk4565!!

:congrats:

Sorry @surreal1272 I have some ongoing health issues that are keeping me away.  After a year of tests, I finally might have an explanation and path for treatment. 

This is good news

On 7/29/2024 at 8:29 PM, surreal1272 said:

A 1,067HP Vette ZR1 was just announced the other day and not one word of it here. Very disappointing. 

True

Tesla, hertz, Stelantis.  The dumpster fire of the automotive world. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2024 at 5:32 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Two options:

They have one of the best owner retention rates of any truck, still today.  People keep them forever and then go out and buy another used one. But the newest ones are 11 years old now and there were only 17k of them built in the final year, so your chances of finding a decent one are dwindling by the day.

I'm speaking from the heart here when I say this. I absolutely LOVE my Avalanche, but there are times when I really wish for something smaller. I'm seriously thinking of going with an R1T instead of the EValanche for myself when the time comes.  I know you are doing construction, but it's just not worth the gasoline costs and hassle of wheeling around such a big vehicle day to day.  If I had the space for a fourth (6th?) vehicle, I could see myself getting a final-gen Volt or ELR to run around in most days. 

I can second the Pacifica. We rent them all of the time for Debate team trips, they are a stellar long distance cruiser. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2024 at 7:32 PM, G. David Felt said:

but I do not miss the snakes in the lake coming up onto the yard and trying to get into the house. Water Moccasins are nasty, and I am glad to not live there.

That is exactly what I think when landing and you see Grapevine Lake.  Boaters, jet skiers, but where are people supposed to swim? The central to lower Midwest also has this issue in its bodies of water.

They are pit vipers, so sort of related to rattlesnakes.

Ditto for huge Lake Houston.  People should not be swimming there.  Alligators in that one ... at the very least.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Ditto for huge Lake Houston.  People should not be swimming there.  Alligators in that one ... at the very least.

Reminds me--I saw in the news yesterday that an alligator was spotted recently in Lake Erie in the Erie, PA area...not native to the area. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Reminds me--I saw in the news yesterday that an alligator was spotted recently in Lake Erie in the Erie, PA area...not native to the area. 

Right.  This happens when low life get these critters as babies, bring them up north, and then, when they grow and/or they're done with them, they're chucked into a nearby body of water.  They won't survive winter, but there's always the chance they can do some damage in the interim since they're not expected to be there.

• Agree 3

19 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I enjoy trains quite a bit and had rudimentary train sets when I was in grade school.  I've been on Amtrak coast to coast - on the Santa Fe - with my parents when I was a kid.  I've taken the Coast Starlight from Norcal to Portland.  Would have liked to try the "California Zephyr" and the "Empire Builder" from SF and the PacNW, respectively, to Chicago.

Trains in Europe are fairly impressive.  So are their transit systems.  Of the ones I've been on, Spain's RENFE is the best.  Italy's is good and mostly punctual.  For being a small country, the trains in Portugal are surprisingly good.

To catch a bodaciously priced flight, I had to fly out of Tampa instead of Lauderdale.  There's one daily Amtrak train.  What a mess - a sort of rude conductor, some weird people, and you could not communicate with 1/3 of the passengers if you did not speak Spanish. About 1 to 2 hours late in arriving.  Inland Central Florida is another world that people should see to get the whole picture of a state that is romanticized.

Edited by trinacriabob

17 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Right.  This happens when low life get these critters as babies, bring them up north, and then, when they grow and/or they're done with them, they're chucked into a nearby body of water.  They won't survive winter, but there's always the chance they can do some damage in the interim since they're not expected to be there.

We just need to stop allowing people to have dangerous wild animals as pets. I see no reason to have it, this being allowed is what is causing an imbalance in the native eco system. Just look at Florida and all the stupid non-native snakes dropped in the water there when they get too big.

• Facepalm 1