Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

Hey for those of you who do weight lift out there( mostly looking at you dfelt! ) I came across this website who sells wrist wraps and depending on the color/name they donate 20% to the given charity(and the give you a free shirt and shipping). A few of the charities I remember off the top of my head are; Boys and Girls Club of America, Defenders of Wildlife, and E-Nable(make and give free prosthetic limbs to those who cannot afford their own). There are three or 4 more and they give a little description of the charity as well. It's a really cool idea. The wraps are a little pricey but free shipping, shirt, wraps and 20% goes to a charity..seems like a reasonable price to me. I lift every day with wrist wraps on and I plan to order a pair of these in the next week or two. I'm just not sure which charity I'd like to help out. 

You guys should check them out:

https://manimalstrong.com/collections/wrist-wraps

Oh yeah, and they have a gnarly logo! 

Here are a couple of the ones they have.

92E1B695-85A3-487D-884B-A8A38D7E68E7_zps

EF483EEF-0EF3-48FE-AC5A-C37CC73DFC44_zps

Little bump for the top of the next page!

I brought a new CX-3 Touring AWD Premium Package home for the night from work.  For a miniature CUV it really skews far toward the car side of the scale.  Starting from like 6 MPG (3 miles on odo), I made it up to 29.9 avg MPG (per the DIC) so far.  Interested in seeing how high the MPG average goes before I return it tomorrow.  Seems zippy enough.  Throttle is a little jumpy on it, and the ride is somewhat busy.  Very good NVH management in the Mazda.  TINY cargo hold turned me off.  Non-intuitive controls... who can get used to the multi-function controller down on the console?  Plus the radio touch screen is immobilized when the vehicle is in gear.  At least a redundant volume control is on the steering wheel.

Then I stopped at a local Jeep dealer, parked the CX-3, and took out a Renegade Trailhawk.  As far as CUVs go, it was night and day different.  A much more solid and substantial vehicle to drive, while also seeming quieter, even with the bluff front end and windshield.  Less road noise than the Mazda.  I detected no problem with the 9 speed auto, and the visibility is great... it even has comparable MPG ratings (I understand that some rigs do better or worse than the ratings) to the much tinier Mazda.  One thing on the Jeep, the anodized red interior trim bezels are a little garish, I would have done with a regular silver aluminum finish there.

I would definitely go with the Jeep Renegade Trailhawk over the Mazda CX-3 Touring, but of course I'm more of a country boy, so that might skew my perception.  About $2k higher in price than the Mazda, but worth it based on the initial drive.  I take back every comment I made about the Renegade being too cheeky.  It drives like a big boy Jeep to me.  :scratchchin:

Edited by ocnblu

I brought a new CX-3 Touring AWD Premium Package home for the night from work.  For a miniature CUV it really skews far toward the car side of the scale.  Starting from like 6 MPG (3 miles on odo), I made it up to 29.9 avg MPG (per the DIC) so far.  Interested in seeing how high the MPG average goes before I return it tomorrow.  Seems zippy enough.  Throttle is a little jumpy on it, and the ride is somewhat busy.  Very good NVH management in the Mazda.  TINY cargo hold turned me off.  Non-intuitive controls... who can get used to the multi-function controller down on the console?  Plus the radio touch screen is immobilized when the vehicle is in gear.  At least a redundant volume control is on the steering wheel.

Then I stopped at a local Jeep dealer, parked the CX-3, and took out a Renegade Trailhawk.  As far as CUVs go, it was night and day different.  A much more solid and substantial vehicle to drive, while also seeming quieter, even with the bluff front end and windshield.  Less road noise than the Mazda.  I detected no problem with the 9 speed auto, and the visibility is great... it even has comparable MPG ratings (I understand that some rigs do better or worse than the ratings) to the much tinier Mazda.  One thing on the Jeep, the anodized red interior trim bezels are a little garish, I would have done with a regular silver aluminum finish there.

I would definitely go with the Jeep Renegade Trailhawk over the Mazda CX-3 Touring, but of course I'm more of a country boy, so that might skew my perception.  About $2k higher in price than the Mazda, but worth it based on the initial drive.  I take back every comment I made about the Renegade being too cheeky.  It drives like a big boy Jeep to me.  :scratchchin:

Me Think Someone just might have a trade-in on a new ride! ;)

Haha... my weird short list includes the CX-3, the Renegade, Encore, Trax... and Spark.  I find the new Spark absolutely adorable.  I would get a Spark 1LT in Splash Blue with manual transmission, then add a set of black Enkei wheels and have a fun little ride.  If I went with the Spark, I could buy it outright and be done with auto payments altogether... something I have not experienced since... 1998!

I wish they'd gear the Spark a little better and give an optional engine upgrade.  It would make it more suitable for the long distance driving you do. 

but I haven't driven the new one yet, so maybe the CVT makes the difference.

Haha... my weird short list includes the CX-3, the Renegade, Encore, Trax... and Spark.  I find the new Spark absolutely adorable.  I would get a Spark 1LT in Splash Blue with manual transmission, then add a set of black Enkei wheels and have a fun little ride.  If I went with the Spark, I could buy it outright and be done with auto payments altogether... something I have not experienced since... 1998!

So one of the following could be your new ride! :P

post-12-0-01662900-1463756550_thumb.jpg

• Agree 1

You do get used to the controller on the center console. Also, the touch screen can be re-enabled in about two minutes. I did it the third day I had the Miata. 

• Agree 2

I wish they'd gear the Spark a little better and give an optional engine upgrade.  It would make it more suitable for the long distance driving you do. 

Well I am not on the four lane highway anymore, I have two alternative routes to work that are relatively serene while taking roughly the same amount of time.  Plus the 2016 Spark has the NA 1.4 Ecotec with more displacement and power than before.  The CVT has been reprogrammed and improved on this new one too... but I will never own one.  5 speed stick FTW in a car like that.

Drove a 2016 Spark with manual transmission today.  2500 RPM at a little over 60 mph is actually quite good for a minicar, imo.  I was pleased with the drive.  No buzz bomb here!

Drove a 2016 Spark with manual transmission today.  2500 RPM at a little over 60 mph is actually quite good for a minicar, imo.  I was pleased with the drive.  No buzz bomb here!

Unless you're doing all your driving in the city, do everything you can to buy a car more substantial than the Spark. 

The Sonic is a FAR superior car for not that much more money, and with the 1.4T/manual combo, it's a badass little gocart. I'm actually really into the 2017 refreshed design.

chevy-sonic-01-1.jpg

I keep going back to considering small crossovers.  Today I stopped by the Subaru dealership to look at a Crosstrek... with CVT ( it has "6-speed manual mode") in Hyper Blue with black interior.  Pretty sharp.

• 2 weeks later...