Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

Totally agree about watching yourself while pumping iron, you totally get buzzed to push and pump more. So addictive to the natural body adrenaline high. :D

Do you lift, dfelt???? Am I talking to a fellow gym rat and didn't know this whole time???

Need you both to kick my butt into the habit once I'm done all of this travel at the end of the month. I was taught to never ski while tired or you'll end up hurting yourself, and I imagine the same is true for lifting.  I can't get over the exhaustion to go make myself more exhausted at the moment.  :dizzy:  :dizzy:  :dizzy:

LOL, Yes, I was 6 ft tall at age 12, totally a mess in coordination and my dad took me to the Washington state body building competition which is now the Washington State Natural Body building competition. Saw Arnold and fell in love with the sport.

I did everything I could to build myself and eventually bought his Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding and never looked back.

Highly Recommend this book:

attachicon.gifArnoldBible.jpg

Even if you do not want to be a full blown body building but just to tone and shape up, this shows step by step the safest ways I know to lift free weights and build your body into a strong solid frame.

At 48 years Old, I ski harder than most teens and 20's according to my son. Still hit the parks, jumps, etc. I truly believe being a Gym Rat is an important part of long life with little down time.

Drew, best way to ease back into it when the Gym has not been a consistent part of your life is to have some dumb bells at home, not 20, 30 40 lbs, but simple 3,5 & 8 pound dumb bells, so you can do bicep curls and tricep presses while watching TV. Forearm curls to help strengthen and keep from having issues with your fingers and forearms for those of us at the computer all day. You can also then use these same dumb bells to do lungs while watching TV or a movie. Standing squats if you want to get a bit heavier dumbbells can be done also. This will get you into a routine and then you can slide back into the gym.

So yes, a fellow Gym Rat and now hopefully people can understand why I find anything other than a full size SUV at 6'6" tall and 280 lbs to be a small comfy auto for me.

Happy LIfting!

How do you get around the pre-existing exhaustion?

Drew,

This is a mental game, a exhausted work out of lite weights is better than nothing at all. Start by taking a book to read and walk the tread mill to get going. Once your body is going the adrenaline kicks in and you get more energy. A quote Arnold made at his 3rd world championship win "An exhausted work out in the gym is better than no work out!" 

Even when I am tired, I still move my butt and go do even 30 min as that is better than the 30 min in front of the tube.

I can relate at 48 that at times I just want to crash, but it is still better to get up and move than to veg into a bigger blob.

• Agree 1

Totally not weird...anyways DFelt started this first, so don't look AT ME LIKE A WEIRDO....but the Arnold's "package" is bigger than both of his fists.

Codpiece was a very common part back in history during the 14th & 15th century as a way to impart that the man was bigger than others. French took it to extremes in competition. Yet we all know men come in different sizes, colors, shapes, etc. but the codpiece was a funny part of history. This started out as one item and by the 16th century,we officially had the codpiece and all manners of silliness. Check out the wiki pages below on ancient dress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1400%E2%80%931500_in_European_fashion#Men.27s_fashion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codpiece

I do believe in some circles this is still used today, but that is another topic far from the auto's we discuss here. :P

Need you both to kick my butt into the habit once I'm done all of this travel at the end of the month. I was taught to never ski while tired or you'll end up hurting yourself, and I imagine the same is true for lifting.  I can't get over the exhaustion to go make myself more exhausted at the moment.  :dizzy:  :dizzy:  :dizzy:

LOL, Yes, I was 6 ft tall at age 12, totally a mess in coordination and my dad took me to the Washington state body building competition which is now the Washington State Natural Body building competition. Saw Arnold and fell in love with the sport.

I did everything I could to build myself and eventually bought his Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding and never looked back.

Highly Recommend this book:

attachicon.gifArnoldBible.jpg

Even if you do not want to be a full blown body building but just to tone and shape up, this shows step by step the safest ways I know to lift free weights and build your body into a strong solid frame.

At 48 years Old, I ski harder than most teens and 20's according to my son. Still hit the parks, jumps, etc. I truly believe being a Gym Rat is an important part of long life with little down time.

Drew, best way to ease back into it when the Gym has not been a consistent part of your life is to have some dumb bells at home, not 20, 30 40 lbs, but simple 3,5 & 8 pound dumb bells, so you can do bicep curls and tricep presses while watching TV. Forearm curls to help strengthen and keep from having issues with your fingers and forearms for those of us at the computer all day. You can also then use these same dumb bells to do lungs while watching TV or a movie. Standing squats if you want to get a bit heavier dumbbells can be done also. This will get you into a routine and then you can slide back into the gym.

So yes, a fellow Gym Rat and now hopefully people can understand why I find anything other than a full size SUV at 6'6" tall and 280 lbs to be a small comfy auto for me.

Happy LIfting!

How do you get around the pre-existing exhaustion?

Drew,

This is a mental game, a exhausted work out of lite weights is better than nothing at all. Start by taking a book to read and walk the tread mill to get going. Once your body is going the adrenaline kicks in and you get more energy. A quote Arnold made at his 3rd world championship win "An exhausted work out in the gym is better than no work out!" 

Even when I am tired, I still move my butt and go do even 30 min as that is better than the 30 min in front of the tube.

I can relate at 48 that at times I just want to crash, but it is still better to get up and move than to veg into a bigger blob.

Want to follow this up with reinforcing what CCAP has stated as food also plays a big roll in your energy level and I want to state that Breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day. Better to go to sleep a little hungry than on a full tummy. Minimize carbs, eat Protein and dairy as it will carry you through the day.

Common as people get older, I am not hungry in the morning or coffee and a muffin is all I need. Actually your body will perform better as you slept all night, it processed and does burn so you need energy in the morning, this is why breakfast is so important and you will not feel tired by mid day.

If you are working out twice a day, then eating a big dinner will not hurt you much, try to keep it to veggies and protein reducing carbs. Keep the carbs to breakfast and lunch as much as possible.

This way you help your body stay lean rather than pack on fat as carbs at night convert to fat usually around the mid section.

About the only exercise I'm getting is walking. Using my Fitbit to track steps, trying to maintain 5000 daily w 10000 as a goal. Now that summer is here, it will be harder to force myself to walk outside the next five months except early in the morning or late in the evening. But pool season is here also, so I can offset walking with daily swimming.

Saw an X6 today.  :puke:

+1, Totally agree!  :puke:

By far and away my least favorite vehicles on the roads right now are the freakin' coupe-CUVs. X4, X6, GLC Coupe, GLE Coupe. Now I think Mazda recently showed a CX-4 that appears to be a coupe as well.. I'll give them that it looks the best of the bunch but that's not a bunch I would want to be compared to. 

Edited by ccap41

Drew, are you getting enough sleep at night? I know that can be a starting point to just being exhausted. I know I don't get enough most nights..usually only 6-6.5hrs. Eating not $h! food helps also. That is the hardest for me. It's so tough to eat right when it's so easy to eat quick and cheaper. Also, one thing that helps me is finding a plan and just forcing myself to stick to it. For instance, I'm doing a 12 week program right now that I just tell myself I have to get the workout in, no excuses. And some of the exhaustion could go away from just being more active as well.

As I phase into my new job, my sleep will improve.  At the moment, I'd have to answer "no".

Totally not weird...anyways DFelt started this first, so don't look AT ME LIKE A WEIRDO....but the Arnold's "package" is bigger than both of his fists.

Having seen pictures of Arnold in just a normal speedo.... I can assure you there is a substantial amount of padding going on there.

• Agree 1

Iran has banned the import of Chevrolet cars, a week after Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei criticized imports of U.S. autos and asked the government to support domestic production.

“Why should we import the cars from a bankrupt American factory? This is very odd.”

http://fortune.com/2016/05/03/iran-ban-import-chevrolets/

Read the latest issue of Car and Driver. They compared a midlevel Mustang to a midlevel Camaro. The Camaro won because the testers found the V6 to be a much more enjoyable engine than the EB four. Which makes the previous post a bit ironic because if you live in a place called "I RAN" you'd figure they'd want cars that can really, really RUN.

• Disagree 1

Iran has banned the import of Chevrolet cars, a week after Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei criticized imports of U.S. autos and asked the government to support domestic production.

“Why should we import the cars from a bankrupt American factory? This is very odd.”

And? So this means what? 

BTW, the answer is "nothing" because no one gives two $h!s about what Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei thinks.

Obvious cheap shot is obvious and not very random.

And? So this means what? 

BTW, the answer is "nothing" because no one gives two $h!s about what Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei thinks.

One could say Ayatollah Ali Khamenie comments are a cheap shot

“Why should we import the cars from a bankrupt American factory? This is very odd.”http://fortune.com/2016/05/03/iran-ban-import-chevrolets/

And? So this means what? 

Yes they could and should. They could also say that this information was not worth anyone's time in the first place and really not worth spreading around the internet but hey, some folks have to do what they do.

“Why should we import the cars from a bankrupt American factory? This is very odd.”http://fortune.com/2016/05/03/iran-ban-import-chevrolets/

And? So this means what? 

Yes they could and should. They could also say that this information was not worth anyone's time in the first place and really not worth spreading around the internet but hey, some folks have to do what they do.

I've always found it humorous and a bit confusing when one says not worth " anyone's time " yet they initially comment on it, and then keep commenting.

And? So this means what? 

Agreed. 

And? So this means what? 

At least he didn't start a thread for this crap lol 

• Agree 1

And? So this means what? 

I've always found it humorous and a bit confusing when one says not worth " anyone's time " yet they initially comment on it, and then keep commenting.

And I find it humorous when someone casts obvious bait and then acts like it is no big deal.

Yes, I fell for your bait and told you why it was bait.

Again, obvious bait post was obvious and should have never been posted in the first damn place.

Comprehension is the key to understanding the fallacy of your initial bait post and follow up bait responses.

Moving on with the random...

:roflmao:

Not only do we not really care, the IDIOT Supreme Leader should care as proof by his own statement in the story.

On Monday, Khamenei criticized rich young people who drove expensive cars on the streets of Tehran, saying they were the result of identity crises and bad education.

This guy is so stupid he does not understand that these educated rich people are what help to drive the economy so his religious moron Koran thumpers can sit around talking about their fake god rather than actually help to produce something of value.

Yup, waste of space on fortunes web site.

• Agree 1

THIS ARTICLE BELONGS IN THE POLITICAL/SOCIAL ISSUES THREAD SECTION. 

• Agree 3

Do we have any Photoshop wizards here?

Depends. My magic can be a little "erratic".

Lol well.. I have a picture of my friend who just bought a V6 Camaro(I know.. I know.. ugh..the guy who used to have an HHR SS and 1997 Z/28 Anniversary Edition. Onl upside the the Camaro is that it's a 6spd. Oh yeah, it's a 2011) but I wanted to Photoshop a mullet on him and then add a picture of the car in the background or wherever really.

Cleared everything off the hood & trunk of my '64, rolled the car cover back and wiped it down. There's still a bumper & a fender on the roof, but it was sure nice to see the old girl again.

Getting really hot to have a blow-out purge in my shop and get the vehicles in there cleared & worked on.

^ Are you relatively immodest, then?

- - - - -

Did an estimate today for a man named & related to the Studebaker family. Even had an Avanti scale model on a shelf & a (repro?) 'Studebaker harnesses' wooden sign.

His car had a 'Happiness is driving a Studebaker' license plate frame, but it was screwed to an old Accord. :(

His car had a 'Happiness is driving a Studebaker' license plate frame, but it was screwed to an old Accord. :(

Reminds me of a buddy of mine..has a 'My Other Car has a HEMI' sticker on his Prius... (his other car is a Challenger SRT8). 

- - - - -

Did an estimate today for a man named & related to the Studebaker family. Even had an Avanti scale model on a shelf & a (repro?) 'Studebaker harnesses' wooden sign.

Big truck payments, $335

- - - - -

Big truck payments, $335

That is a small auto payment compared to what we see advertised out there. I see coworkers who bitch about their truck payments in the mid 500 to 600 range. There is also the jones jones competitors who drive luxury auto's with $1K a month auto payment.

Now if you are only making 35-45K a year, then I agree, that is a large chunk of your monthly take home and the gas mileage is not great if you have to drive a long distance. 

Hope you find the right solution Ocnblu as I know you love your truck. Wishing you all the best.

• Agree 1

- - - - -

Big truck payments, $335

That is a small auto payment compared to what we see advertised out there. I see coworkers who bitch about their truck payments in the mid 500 to 600 range. There is also the jones jones competitors who drive luxury auto's with $1K a month auto payment.

Now if you are only making 35-45K a year, then I agree, that is a large chunk of your monthly take home and the gas mileage is not great if you have to drive a long distance. 

Hope you find the right solution Ocnblu as I know you love your truck. Wishing you all the best.

Thanks, dfelt.  I make more than 45k/year, but still, with my commute plus the payments... well ya know.

Anyone notice the total lack of coverage of the CTS and ATS with the 8-speed automatic and/or new V6? They've been out for a year, and previously for most journalists the only weakness of these cars dynamically came down to the carry-over 6-speed and the dated LFX V6 compared to germans with 7- and 8-speed transmissions and more powerful V6s.

I was curious how potent the CTS would be with the speedy 8A and a power bump from a more refined, tech laden V6.

I see recall numbers all the time, and for some of them the numbers provided such as "X" amount are so many times are just spun around as useless drivel. A better way would be follow-up when the recall campaign has been out for a while and find the % of vehicles that actually needed the repairs or parts replaced due to the error. The majority of vehicles in a recall are just recalled for precautionary reasons....

Hey for those of you who do weight lift out there( mostly looking at you dfelt! ) I came across this website who sells wrist wraps and depending on the color/name they donate 20% to the given charity(and the give you a free shirt and shipping). A few of the charities I remember off the top of my head are; Boys and Girls Club of America, Defenders of Wildlife, and E-Nable(make and give free prosthetic limbs to those who cannot afford their own). There are three or 4 more and they give a little description of the charity as well. It's a really cool idea. The wraps are a little pricey but free shipping, shirt, wraps and 20% goes to a charity..seems like a reasonable price to me. I lift every day with wrist wraps on and I plan to order a pair of these in the next week or two. I'm just not sure which charity I'd like to help out. 

You guys should check them out:

https://manimalstrong.com/collections/wrist-wraps

Oh yeah, and they have a gnarly logo! 

Here are a couple of the ones they have.

92E1B695-85A3-487D-884B-A8A38D7E68E7_zps

EF483EEF-0EF3-48FE-AC5A-C37CC73DFC44_zps

Edited by ccap41