Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

It was asked by ccap41 in another thread "Drew, how are you doing?!".  I'm good, thanks for asking.  :wavey:

I'm sure my absence of late has been rather conspicuous, but I'm still keeping a side-eye on things here.  You're in capable hands with William and Sus...  William txts me if there is any issue that needs to be looked at.

Long story short - I got a promotion and a big raise (yay!), but I am working both my former job and my new job simultaneously until the beginning of June.   I've been in my old position for 10 years as of May 25th, so there is a lot of information to dump on the guy who is replacing succeeding me.  It's often joked in the office that if we were ever to close, I'd be the last one out because I'm the only one who knows where all of the skeletons are hidden. 

Anyway, I'm still here... you should start to see more of me again in mid-May.

• Agree 4

Dude...you know how much I LOVE classic rock.

Light My Fire....its a must for you to share!!!!

Cheap Sunglasses too...

This one's for you, olds! We posted our version of Light My Fire today.

https://www.reverbnation.com/kingsoftherevolution1/song/25803216-light-my-fire-the-doors

Dude....that is just as good as it gets!!!!

Almost like the original. You guys ROCK!

Got the vibe down PERFECTLY!

I like!

Ill be honest though, I did not listen to Remedy. Its because I aint familiar with the Black Crowes.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

It was asked by ccap41 in another thread "Drew, how are you doing?!".  I'm good, thanks for asking.  :wavey:

I'm sure my absence of late has been rather conspicuous, but I'm still keeping a side-eye on things here.  You're in capable hands with William and Sus...  William txts me if there is any issue that needs to be looked at.

Long story short - I got a promotion and a big raise (yay!), but I am working both my former job and my new job simultaneously until the beginning of June.   I've been in my old position for 10 years as of May 25th, so there is a lot of information to dump on the guy who is replacing succeeding me.  It's often joked in the office that if we were ever to close, I'd be the last one out because I'm the only one who knows where all of the skeletons are hidden. 

Congratulations, Brother!!

Glad to know it wasn't some personal/family illness/issue.. Must just be the pessimist in me thinking if somebody is missing it is because of a problem not a promotion.. 

• Agree 1

Drew....how the hell have you been??!!!!

Fine I see!!!!

GREAT NEWS about your new position and pay!

• Agree 1

Dude...you know how much I LOVE classic rock.

Light My Fire....its a must for you to share!!!!

Cheap Sunglasses too...

This one's for you, olds! We posted our version of Light My Fire today.

https://www.reverbnation.com/kingsoftherevolution1/song/25803216-light-my-fire-the-doors

Dude....that is just as good as it gets!!!!

Almost like the original. You guys ROCK!

Got the vibe down PERFECTLY!

I like!

Ill be honest though, I did not listen to Remedy. Its because I aint familiar with the Black Crowes.

No worries, listen to what you're into. I personally don't really like the Black Crowes or the song Remedy, that was a pick the rest of the band chose.

I'm glad the Doors song rocked your socks, that's one of our best niche sounds. We also play Riders on the Storm and Roadhouse Blues, and we kick their ass too! We almost recorded Riders instead, but we'd been really hot playing Light My Fire (no pun intended), so we went with our gut and it turned out well.

Awesome, way to go Drew, wishing you and your family all the best during the transition or TOI dump onto the new sucker! ;)

• Agree 1

Glad to know it wasn't some personal/family illness/issue.. Must just be the pessimist in me thinking if somebody is missing it is because of a problem not a promotion.. 

Oh and other benefits, 3 - 4 days a week work from home will be nice, as will the shift from 80% - 90% travel to 10% travel.... My last scheduled trip ends on June 4th and then I get to work in my PJs most days.

Oh and other benefits, 3 - 4 days a week work from home will be nice, as will the shift from 80% - 90% travel to 10% travel.... My last scheduled trip ends on June 4th and then I get to work in my PJs most days.

:metal: That totally rocks! :metal:

I dont think Id ever be able to get any job done if I was working from home.

Its awesome that Drew gets to do that....its just that Im the type of guy that NEEDS to LEAVE the house to go to work.

If I stay home, in PJs, then its a day off....its a clean and wax the car day, its stay home and watch Star Wars or Good Fellas or The Terminator for the millionth time or just post at Cheers and Gears the whole day...its called laziness.

However, I put on my restaurant uniform on, I leave the house, I get to the store, and Im a work-a-holic....unless a bunch of car guys walk-in with the whatever prized toy they arrive in and I chit chat the day/night away...

Totally can agree with what you say Oldshurst442, most times it is harder to get things done unless I have deadlines. I do like the office as a change to the house and looking at other things I also want to get done.

Totally can agree with what you say Oldshurst442, most times it is harder to get things done unless I have deadlines. I do like the office as a change to the house and looking at other things I also want to get done.

I'm wish both of you. But, I guarantee if somebody told me I could work from home I would jump at that opportunity like none other. 

That is why I've never invested into gym equipment for my home. People have asked me why not buy weights and stuff and workout at home or chit chatting with somebody about "fantasy life" where I could have any house (with a gym built in...) I'd still want to go to a gym, pay a membership fee. The part of changing and driving TO the gym is part of the routine and when I'm there I'm there for one reason, to work out. 

How about them Craptors?

Came back from 17 to win the game. Holy $h!, they're actually capable of playing a shutdown quarter. Now, if they'd only do every quarter, the Pacers would have scored only 36 points in the game.

Craptors?

What cha talking about Willis?

How about them Craptors?

Came back from 17 to win the game. Holy $h!, they're actually capable of playing a shutdown quarter. Now, if they'd only do every quarter, the Pacers would have scored only 36 points in the game.

Craptors?

Canadian.. Toronto Raptors, I assume. lol 

How about them Craptors?

Craptors?

The Toronto Raptors after they came back on Indiana last night.

How about them Craptors?

Craptors?

The Toronto Raptors after they came back on Indiana last night.

Sorry for being sports dumb, but what sport is this?

I dont think Id ever be able to get any job done if I was working from home.

Its awesome that Drew gets to do that....its just that Im the type of guy that NEEDS to LEAVE the house to go to work.

If I stay home, in PJs, then its a day off....its a clean and wax the car day, its stay home and watch Star Wars or Good Fellas or The Terminator for the millionth time or just post at Cheers and Gears the whole day...its called laziness.

However, I put on my restaurant uniform on, I leave the house, I get to the store, and Im a work-a-holic....unless a bunch of car guys walk-in with the whatever prized toy they arrive in and I chit chat the day/night away...

I've been a work-a-holic all of my adult life. Even when I'm not at work, I'm working... whether it be on actual office stuff, or my rental properties, or C&G, or my other websites, or my consulting clients....  It doesn't really matter where I am, as long as I have a power outlet and an internet connection, I can work.  In this new job, I made sure to make it clear that "work from home" does not necessarily mean my own home..... which means I can go spend a week in Germany at the place I say and still work.

*sent from my living room floor on my work laptop while I'm ripping DVDs into my Media center PC. 

• Agree 1

It sucks when the rabid fanboys make you dislike brands because they are so damn oblivious and ignorant about their favorites.

It makes you want to just hate the brand, and for what? Because some D-bag on the Internet is ignorant? That's not fair. But that's how bad some people are.

• Agree 1

It sucks when the rabid fanboys make you dislike brands because they are so damn oblivious and ignorant about their favorites.

It makes you want to just hate the brand, and for what? Because some D-bag on the Internet is ignorant? That's not fair. But that's how bad some people are.

It's one of the main reasons why I haven't even bothered looking at a Ford over the years. Just don't even want to be associated with the brand because of the rabid fanboyism.

It's one of the main reasons why I haven't even bothered looking at a Ford over the years. Just don't even want to be associated with the brand because of the rabid fanboyism.

Yeah I feel like that with all of the D3 though. Ford, GM, or FCA. Heck, when I bought my Mach 1 over at MT I didn't post j bought a different car and nobody knew what I had for awhile and I still got called a fanboy of this or that. I think the only person I initially told was Olds actually. But I mean MB, Ford, GM, FCA... I really like what everybody offers now but the way ppl blindly talk about them is embarrassing for the brand, IMO, and I wouldn't want to be associated with those people. But there are those ppl for every make. One of my best friends is of the same but for VW. Good lord is that annoying at times.. I mean VW? Really? They make one legitimately very very good car, golf(and its variants) and that's about it. Everything else pretty well sucks, again, in my opinion.

• Agree 2

How about them Craptors?

Craptors?

Canadian.. Toronto Raptors, I assume. lol 

No...that is not "C" for Canada nor "Rap" for Raptors.

It is the truly the Toronto Craptors. Worst team ever to get 56 wins in a season. Calling it.

I must say I think the emoticon logic in this post works kinda really well. Random thought about my reaction to cp_thenerd malibu's interesting family dynamic where the in-laws are totally sold on AWD and it's a must-have....

So, do you think the emoticon logic works? Reactions? Thoughts? Comments? More random thoughts?

Oh. I just thought it was a funny story.    :lol2:   :retard:   :palm:   :violin:

:withstupid:   :D

Was next to a new mercedes at a light on the highway. C, E, who knows; didn't read the back. Had my window down.
I heard the whine & grind of the mercedes' starter and realized it had the start/stop feature.

But all the driver was doing was inching forward; he literally didn't move 3 inches- anticipating the green light. He stopped fully and the car shut down again.

Light changed, the car whined, chattered to a start, & went.

If this is how start/stop works, constantly restarting if you move 2 inches with your foot still on the brake, no thanks.

• Agree 2

"In 1973, the average car in the U.S. had 81 lbs of aluminum in it.

By 2006, the average was 319 lbs"

~ How Its Made

- - - - -

Hearing this I immediately considered my '40 Cab Over. The only aluminum on it is the distributor housing & most of the carburetor body. It might total 1 lb.

Holy $h!... My local GM dealer has a '16 Camaro and the MSRP on it is 41k... it has the 2.0t. I believe it is marked down to 37k but that's something I wouldn't have really expected. If anything I thought it would have been the V6 or SS but definitely not the 2.0t. It does look sharp in black though. 

Holy $h!... My local GM dealer has a '16 Camaro and the MSRP on it is 41k... it has the 2.0t. I believe it is marked down to 37k but that's something I wouldn't have really expected. If anything I thought it would have been the V6 or SS but definitely not the 2.0t. It does look sharp in black though. 

C'mon man. We all know every car can get marked up to ridiculous prices with pointless options. The base Camaro 2.0T is something like $27k, so already not cheap. The top turbo trim puts it at $31k. Loading it with every performance and aesthetic option is easily going to jack up the price to irrational levels.

Was next to a new mercedes at a light on the highway. C, E, who knows; didn't read the back. Had my window down.

I heard the whine & grind of the mercedes' starter and realized it had the start/stop feature.

But all the driver was doing was inching forward; he literally didn't move 3 inches- anticipating the green light. He stopped fully and the car shut down again.

If this is how start/stop works, constantly restarting if you move 2 inches with your foot still on the brake, no thanks.

Not all Start/Stop technologies are the same.  GM's is just a down-tuned version of their old eAssist without the assist. Much smoother than the Benz version. 

C'mon man. We all know every car can get marked up to ridiculous prices with pointless options. The base Camaro 2.0T is something like $27k, so already not cheap. The top turbo trim puts it at $31k. Loading it with every performance and aesthetic option is easily going to jack up the price to irrational levels.

I know it can be done I just didn't expect to see one on a lot. Especially because that was the only new Camaro there. Just seemed more odd than anything to actually see one optioned like that on a dealer lot.

I know it can be done I just didn't expect to see one on a lot. Especially because that was the only new Camaro there. Just seemed more odd than anything to actually see one optioned like that on a dealer lot.

It's certainly not the model I'd buy. That's the highest profit margin model, so they're probably hoping the newness will bring in buyers no matter what's under the hood. The V6 powered Camaro I keep building on the configurator when I'm bored has the highest trim below SS, RS pkg, and track braking/cooling for under $35k. Think of all the silly crap that must be on the $40,000+ turbo you saw!!

Edited by cp-the-nerd

Weird randomness of the day..whilst walking around the office and futzing with my phone, I turned on the video recording and captured my feet moving...while I was walking. Seemed very strange to see..

It's certainly not the model I'd buy. That's the highest profit margin model, so they're probably hoping the newness will bring in buyers no matter what's under the hood. The V6 powered Camaro I keep building on the configurator when I'm bored has the highest trim below SS, RS pkg, and track braking/cooling for under $35k. Think of all the silly crap that must be on the $40,000+ turbo you saw!!

Good lord I can't imagine all the little extra crap that's on it if you built a v6 with a goodies we'd want for 35k!

Weird randomness of the day..whilst walking around the office and futzing with my phone, I turned on the video recording and captured my feet moving...while I was walking. Seemed very strange to see..

I've done that a few times and I hate when it happens.

^^^ Yea, VW best auto's seem to be powered by a Corvette engine. ;) Crazy how many people are bidding on a corvette powered 1971 bug.

Hahaha yeah I saw that article as well! 

I don't know if it's their BEST product...the Golf R is pretty special itself.. but it's no Corvette powered ANYTHING

How many active cars projects can 2 guys handle at once?

How many awesome cars are out there? 

Yes. I tend to not like seeing videos of myself doing anything but I don't mind watching myself in the mirror(working out). 

Not all Start/Stop technologies are the same.  GM's is just a down-tuned version of their old eAssist without the assist. Much smoother than the Benz version. 

That is good to know as after spending a week in Vegas and out on the strip at night, I am not impressed with the germans start/stop system that makes the auto sound cheap.

Totally agree about watching yourself while pumping iron, you totally get buzzed to push and pump more. So addictive to the natural body adrenaline high. :D

• Agree 1

Totally agree about watching yourself while pumping iron, you totally get buzzed to push and pump more. So addictive to the natural body adrenaline high. :D

Do you lift, dfelt???? Am I talking to a fellow gym rat and didn't know this whole time???

Do you lift, dfelt???? Am I talking to a fellow gym rat and didn't know this whole time???

Need you both to kick my butt into the habit once I'm done all of this travel at the end of the month. I was taught to never ski while tired or you'll end up hurting yourself, and I imagine the same is true for lifting.  I can't get over the exhaustion to go make myself more exhausted at the moment.  :dizzy:  :dizzy:  :dizzy:

Need you both to kick my butt into the habit once I'm done all of this travel at the end of the month. I was taught to never ski while tired or you'll end up hurting yourself, and I imagine the same is true for lifting.  I can't get over the exhaustion to go make myself more exhausted at the moment.  :dizzy:  :dizzy:  :dizzy:

I'm too antisocial for the gym. I do calisthenics workouts (body-weight exercises, for people less versed in fitness) and some minor freeweights at home, and I'm the strongest I've ever been in my life. I have a 40 lb weight vest and I do sets of 30 knuckle push ups and 10 pull-ups (wide grip and close grip), as well as a variety of situps (without the vest because it gets in the way).

Nothing beats calisthenics, specifically push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups. I recommend it to ANYONE serious about developing cohesive core strength, not just getting "buff." I love knuckle push-ups for the range of motion, and it's perfect for developing fist-toughness and wrist support for kickboxing that I do.

• Agree 1

LOL, Yes, I was 6 ft tall at age 12, totally a mess in coordination and my dad took me to the Washington state body building competition which is now the Washington State Natural Body building competition. Saw Arnold and fell in love with the sport.

I did everything I could to build myself and eventually bought his Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding and never looked back.

Highly Recommend this book:

post-12-0-82696500-1462722269.jpg

Even if you do not want to be a full blown body building but just to tone and shape up, this shows step by step the safest ways I know to lift free weights and build your body into a strong solid frame.

At 48 years Old, I ski harder than most teens and 20's according to my son. Still hit the parks, jumps, etc. I truly believe being a Gym Rat is an important part of long life with little down time.

Drew, best way to ease back into it when the Gym has not been a consistent part of your life is to have some dumb bells at home, not 20, 30 40 lbs, but simple 3,5 & 8 pound dumb bells, so you can do bicep curls and tricep presses while watching TV. Forearm curls to help strengthen and keep from having issues with your fingers and forearms for those of us at the computer all day. You can also then use these same dumb bells to do lungs while watching TV or a movie. Standing squats if you want to get a bit heavier dumbbells can be done also. This will get you into a routine and then you can slide back into the gym.

So yes, a fellow Gym Rat and now hopefully people can understand why I find anything other than a full size SUV at 6'6" tall and 280 lbs to be a small comfy auto for me.

Happy LIfting!

• Agree 1

Ahhnold was awesome when he did the Conan movies!

He still holds the record for largest chest!!!

Former gym rat myself.

I lifted weights to get a stronger body and faster legs to continue to play baseball and hockey to dominate my rivals.

I since have stopped playing sports and weight training.

I since have lost some of my muscle mass and cuts.

However, my chest is still imposing and y legs are rock solid.

My quads are no longer cut but hard.

I still have my calves...

I would say I still solid but with a tiny amount of m id-aged belly fat and love handles.

Last year at this time Id say I was 15 lbs over my ideal weight, all around my belly and waist.

This year, maybe only 5 lbs.

My kids and I have already been hitting the baseball spring training for this up coming season, I help them...so I think Ill lose that crappy 5 lbs...

But Ill probably gain it back when summer is over....

5'6" tall.

Weight about 170 lbs.

Id like to be 165, but like I said, I still have my muscles, Im a tad less bulky than I was in my 20s, but it seems like I got wider at the shoulders as tie went on, hence why Im at the same weight I was in my 20s...with less muscle mass.

Last year...I hit 185 lbs. But all at my belly area. I hated that!

Edited by oldshurst442

LOL, Yes, I was 6 ft tall at age 12, totally a mess in coordination and my dad took me to the Washington state body building competition which is now the Washington State Natural Body building competition. Saw Arnold and fell in love with the sport.

I did everything I could to build myself and eventually bought his Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding and never looked back.

attachicon.gifArnoldBible.jpg

Even if you do not want to be a full blown body building but just to tone and shape up, this shows step by step the safest ways I know to lift free weights and build your body into a strong solid frame.

At 48 years Old, I ski harder than most teens and 20's according to my son. Still hit the parks, jumps, etc. I truly believe being a Gym Rat is an important part of long life with little down time.

Drew, best way to ease back into it when the Gym has not been a consistent part of your life is to have some dumb bells at home, not 20, 30 40 lbs, but simple 3,5 & 8 pound dumb bells, so you can do bicep curls and tricep presses while watching TV. Forearm curls to help strengthen and keep from having issues with your fingers and forearms for those of us at the computer all day. You can also then use these same dumb bells to do lungs while watching TV or a movie. Standing squats if you want to get a bit heavier dumbbells can be done also. This will get you into a routine and then you can slide back into the gym.

So yes, a fellow Gym Rat and now hopefully people can understand why I find anything other than a full size SUV at 6'6" tall and 280 lbs to be a small comfy auto for me.

Happy LIfting!

How do you get around the pre-existing exhaustion?

Happy LIfting!

Dude, I didn't know that! That rocks!

Good lord 6'6", 280lbs. That actually sounds like a very in-shape height:weight ratio, great job! I definitely understand why you can't fit into smaller vehicles, you literally can't. lol 

Wow, yeah There was one kid I grew up with that was 6ft in middle school(13-14?) and he was insanely uncoordinated, just grew too dang fast. 

Drew, are you getting enough sleep at night? I know that can be a starting point to just being exhausted. I know I don't get enough most nights..usually only 6-6.5hrs. Eating not $h! food helps also. That is the hardest for me. It's so tough to eat right when it's so easy to eat quick and cheaper. Also, one thing that helps me is finding a plan and just forcing myself to stick to it. For instance, I'm doing a 12 week program right now that I just tell myself I have to get the workout in, no excuses. And some of the exhaustion could go away from just being more active as well.  

Happy LIfting!

Dude, I didn't know that! That rocks!

Good lord 6'6", 280lbs. That actually sounds like a very in-shape height:weight ratio, great job! I definitely understand why you can't fit into smaller vehicles, you literally can't. lol 

Wow, yeah There was one kid I grew up with that was 6ft in middle school(13-14?) and he was insanely uncoordinated, just grew too dang fast. 

I was that kid. I was 6ft at 14, maybe 140lbs. Never got any taller, but gained 100 lbs over the years. Uncoordinated and generally awful at sports (though I dabbled in softball, basketball, tennis and squash). The academic life and computers suited me better than sports...