Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

About those luxury SUVs with beds...

Are those bought just for the V8 burble sound or are those bought because of the excess standards the American Dream represents?

This eerily  reminds me back in the 1980s sometime when some of us were foolishly still believing this was still the norm:

83028.jpg

which was no better than this:

Chevrolet-Caprice-1990-1.jpeg

which begat another generation including the chromed slat on the under body

001.jpg

when in reality...these were fast becoming the norm for luxury excellence

BMW%20M3%20Profile.jpg

1003119.jpg

which of course just blew the doors off of that Boca Del Vista Cadillac in the mid 1990s...

bmw_5-serija_2000_16.jpg

Not that the Escalade is gonna go anywhere, especially when Bentley and Rolls Royce are playing to the Escalade's strenghts...a weird scenario for a change as not for a awhile has the pendulum swung back to an American flavour that states what luxury is...

But in that playbook of excess, in your face luxury....a V8 may not be part of that equation...an electric motor riding along side the V8, or V6, or 100% electric is probably the way its gonna play out...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Disagree 1

Can't make out most of the cars in your pics.

'60s pic :: '68 Impala wagon: standard 6, LeSabre would only be an 8.

'70s pic :: Nova, Fury & Impala: standard 6, Cadillac would only be an 8.

I get your point, but just because they're not motoring thru your neighborhood, you can still get 'em. Lots of 'em.

Today, most are in trucks tho.

Yeah...most of them are in trucks...

Point is in my favour...

And now...watch this:

EcoBoost_R03-web.jpg

I think Ive made my point.

And...to boot...but I wouldnt bet all my money on what Im about to say just yet...but I think that electric vehicles in Quebec out sell V8 cars...cars is the keyword...

Yes...take all the V8 cars out there...Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, Hemi 300Cs and Chargers, Challengers, Mercedes Benz S classes and the like and I think the Tesla Model S out sells all V8s in Quebec...

Your point being what exactly?  All those turbochargers, all that lack of displacement... and the simple reliable 5.0 gets the same or better fuel mileage in the real world... where ppl actually use their trucks.

Never mind the fact that is only accounting for ONE truck. Throw in GM and RAM and that V8 use just went back up tenfold.

• Agree 1

This eerily  reminds me back in the 1980s sometime when some of us were foolishly still believing this was still the norm:

83028.jpg

which was no better than this:

Chevrolet-Caprice-1990-1.jpeg

There's a HUGE difference between these 2 on nearly every criteria.

BMWs in the '80s weren't luxury cars, they were sporty driving sedans.

But yes, the pendulum was swinging (slowly).

I know that the Bimmers in the 1980s were not luxury cars.

Far from.

Interiors still lack that luxury feel today...

But what I was trying to say was that the luxury criteria was slowly being written by that BMW formula.

Yes. I know that a Chevy B-Body and the Cadillac B-Body was world's apart.

But...to the newly written laws of luxury that were slowly taking place, the yuppies of that time saw no difference in that Cadillac versus the Chevy.

That is what I was trying to convey when I posted those pics and said what I said.

I also like to explain why I feel that way...the way that the pendulum was slowly swinging the other way and me comparing that to big V8 SUVs of today...

Some posters have voted me down and some have pointed out to me that the other two domestic manufacturers keep on selling V8s in their trucks...

V8 trucks arent going anywhere...so maybe I did deserve that down vote and maybe my assumptions of comparing the deadly 1980s for American luxury to the SUV craze of today is unfounded fear...however, the importance of V8 power is not as strong as it once was, but the inclusion of electric motorvation is an element that is creeping up in prestige...and maybe THAT is what I wanted to say...but me being Greek, a tad of melodrama in my posts adds to the entertainment value that I bring.

:huh:

The title of that emoticon is "HUH?"

Yeah...that is right! Sometimes I over dramatize  to make a point and to entertain you bastards! :D

the yuppies of that time saw no difference in that Cadillac versus the Chevy.

Appeal is one thing, but thinking one was no better than the other? I seriously doubt that.

- - - - -

It's going to be interesting to watch WRT electrics.

The hype was toweringly high with hybrids, everyone scrambled to build one… and they (hybrids plus electrics) still can't break 3% of the market.

I, for one, don't see the draw of eliminating the hybrid aspect / backup and pushing a pure electric.

Tesla is moving more product than any other pure electric / startup OEM (tho @ a loss)… and once again everyone is looking at the next 'must have' here…. and ignoring what the MARKET is asking for. Or not asking for.

• Agree 1

I know that the Bimmers in the 1980s were not luxury cars.

Far from.

Interiors still lack that luxury feel today...

But what I was trying to say was that the luxury criteria was slowly being written by that BMW formula.

Yes. I know that a Chevy B-Body and the Cadillac B-Body was world's apart.

But...to the newly written laws of luxury that were slowly taking place, the yuppies of that time saw no difference in that Cadillac versus the Chevy.

That is what I was trying to convey when I posted those pics and said what I said.

I also like to explain why I feel that way...the way that the pendulum was slowly swinging the other way and me comparing that to big V8 SUVs of today...

Some posters have voted me down and some have pointed out to me that the other two domestic manufacturers keep on selling V8s in their trucks...

V8 trucks arent going anywhere...so maybe I did deserve that down vote and maybe my assumptions of comparing the deadly 1980s for American luxury to the SUV craze of today is unfounded fear...however, the importance of V8 power is not as strong as it once was, but the inclusion of electric motorvation is an element that is creeping up in prestige...and maybe THAT is what I wanted to say...but me being Greek, a tad of melodrama in my posts adds to the entertainment value that I bring.

:huh:

The title of that emoticon is "HUH?"

Yeah...that is right! Sometimes I over dramatize  to make a point and to entertain you bastards! :D

I know you live in an impoverished nation, and I'm sorry for that, but there has never been a modern Cadillac built on a B-body, it was C or D.

Appeal is one thing, but thinking one was no better than the other? I seriously doubt that.

Well, Cadillac wouldnt be in this mess right now had the yuppies of that time did not think otherwise.

Sometimes perception IS the reality.

I know you live in an impoverished nation, and I'm sorry for that, but there has never been a modern Cadillac built on a B-body, it was C or D.

Semantics...

It was the D-Body I was referring to...as per the pic I posted...

I googled to get my story straight...

Why its semantics?

The D-Body was closely related to the B-Body...

It had more Cadillac bits and pieces on it as opposed to the Chevy, Buick and Oldsmobile...because Oldsmobile sold a Vista Cruiser type station wagon for a couple of years...

What were those bits and pieces?

Who cares?!

Yuppies did not care about those differences...just GM fanatics clinging on to the good times...but the good times were looooong gone!

Like I said...yuppies at that time REFUSED to acknowledge this vehicle as a luxury car...it was a dinosaur...

Hyper mentioned this Seinfeld episode...

Ill post it for ya'll to see it...

Cadillac...that D-Body Cadillac...any Cadillac...was relegated to retired old geezers in Florida waiting to die.

Dont misinterpret what I just said as I not liking these last of its kind General Motors cars...BOF...

I LOVE these cars...

Id rather a 1996 Impala SS over that E39 BMW M5 from the same year...

But...THAT was the reality back then, and only 20 years later in 2016, Cadillac is slowly getting away from that stigma...but it hasnt fully recovered from it just yet.

Ok, so my bro's Audi is going in the shop AGAIN.  This time he engine is missing, spitting, and sputtering.  This may be related to the previous issues with the burning oil.  Luckil, it was certified and still has warranty left.  only has around 64k miles.  It is such a shame too because it is such a lovely driver.  Anywho, he is going to be looking to trade it once he is fixed.  Looking low to mid 20k range and AWD.  I think I found him a car he loves.  Ready?  13 Lincoln MKZ.  V6/AWD/loaded.  43k miles.

This pic is pretty close.

Capture2.jpg

Me, i am thinking of getting a car myself.  Found a very nice 2015 200S V6/AWD with 15k miles for 20k.

Similar to this:

2015-Chrysler-200-Black.jpg

Anywho....

Historically, the D-Body Cadillacs were, for decades & decades, the factory-built Series 75 / Fleetwood limousines. That line ended after '84.

Were the '90s Broughams 'D-Bodies'?

Fleetwood Broughams were.  i loved my 93, wished it was a 94 though with the LT1.  Owned the whole round of 90s B/D body sedans.  The Loaded Caprice B4U lacked a LOT of options compared to the Fleetwood and Roadmaster and the interior was nowhere near as nice.  The Roadmaster Limited (both it and the Caprice were 96) felt like the smaller version of the Fleetwood. 

^^^

You see Balthy, I always thought the 1990s Fleetwood was a B-Body...straight up B-Body.

Then when BLU corrected me and said it was a D-Body, I was perplexed, that is when I googled Wikipédia and they said that the 1990s Fleetwood was a slight variation B-Body renamed the D-Body.

Stew has acknowledged just now that a Fleetwood was actually called a D-Body.

I did not look further as to what différences a 1990s B-Body had over the Cadillac D-Body, but that also symbolizes how yuppies felt about the Fleetwood back then so I did not look it up on purpose...to kinda prove a point in doing so as well...all symbolic.

I only got to drive a 1993 Caprice sedan with the 305 I believe...

I got to drive it quite often as it was a a co=worker's car. He was an older gentleman, in his 60s at the time, and he had a good looking daughter.

I cruised his daughter many times, she never took my bait though, but he liked me a lot. He let me drive his Caprice often...maybe I should have tried to date him...he had money!!!  LOL!!!

Historically, the D-Body Cadillacs were, for decades & decades, the factory-built Series 75 / Fleetwood limousines. That line ended after '84.

Yes. The D-Body line continued on in Arlington built on the same line as the B-Body.  

Yes. The D-Body line continued on in Arlington built on the same line as the B-Body.  

So now, the million dollar question for me that needs to be answered...for my own personal knowledge...

Two Questions:

1.  Is that '90s Fleetwood Brougham D-Body related to the '90s Chevrolet Caprice B-Body in any way?
  2.  And if so, what differs a '90s D-Body from a '90s B-Body?

So now, the million dollar question for me that needs to be answered...for my own personal knowledge...

Two Questions:

• Is that '90s Fleetwood Brougham D-Body related to the '90s Chevrolet Caprice B-Body in any way?
  • And if so, what differs a '90s D-Body from a '90s B-Body?

A D-Body is largely a longer wheelbase B-Body, as such, they share little in body structure but a lot in mechanicals. Many Caprice 9C1 parts (cop spec) are in the Cadillac by default.

People like SMK like to point out that the Fleetwood only had 260hp, but neglect to mention they also have 340 lb ft of torque at like 2000 rpm. At 65, they can cruise in utter silence with the engine barely turning 1750.

These only have 4 speed automatics yet get mid 20s fuel economy. If someone would put a modern 8 speed in one, theyd have even more hustle and fuel economy.

People like SMK like to point out that the Fleetwood only had 260hp, but neglect to mention they also have 340 lb ft of torque at like 2000 rpm. At 65, they can cruise in utter silence with the engine barely turning 1750.

These only have 4 speed automatics yet get mid 20s fuel economy. If someone would put a modern 8 speed in one, theyd have even more hustle and fuel economy.

Yet this beats the S-Class from Mercedes Benze as according to MT, the 1999 S Class has a 228hp v6 and 232 torque.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mercedes-benz/s-class/1999/specifications/

Yes at this time Cadillac still had V8's and the S-Class was only available in a V6. Where is MB prized V8, V12 engines then?

Benz always had pretty big honkin' V8s. They used to power the big 600 Grossers and Pullmans. The V12s came along around '91 or '92 if memory serves.

In those far-flung days nobody really cared that much about FE in high-rolling cars. What they cared about was power and speed and fancy interiors and fit and finish. And while I loves me some Fleetwoods, it was no more an S-class fighter than a Big Mac was a substitute for Kobe beef. You just had to make sure, then as now, that you bought new because if not the electronics were gonna break you.

makes me think of this....

looks stock, until it starts up...

That looks identical to the RoadMonster that my dad had. It was a '94 Limited with a maroon exterior and cloth maroon interior. It was the first car I ever drove at the age of nine. 

Yet this beats the S-Class from Mercedes Benze as according to MT, the 1999 S Class has a 228hp v6 and 232 torque.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mercedes-benz/s-class/1999/specifications/

Yes at this time Cadillac still had V8's and the S-Class was only available in a V6. Where is MB prized V8, V12 engines then?

They had the other engines too. You're only looking at the S320... Change the trim line on the drop down at the top of the page to see the other engines.

makes me think of this....

looks stock, until it starts up...

OMG that was an awesome video! Super cool car! 

A good friend of mine's first car was one of these with the 5.7 and it was sooooooo slow it was hilarious that it would possibly have a Chevy 350 under the hood. It was such a boat and an awesome ride though, just no power to the wheels. 

Edited by ccap41

Yep, like drew said the D-body is basically a stretched B-Body.  As such the Roadmaster was kind of like a short wheelbase Fleetwood.  it offered almost all of the big Caddy's options in a smaller package and stuff not available on the caprice.  Point of interest.  The Fleetwood was the only B/D body sedan to offer an optional sunroof.  The Fleetwood brougham had glass headlights, were base models got plastic.  The Fleetwood offered a 3.42 axle ratio with the towing package.  Caprice and Roadmaster 2.93s and 2.56s were standard.  Impala SS and I believe 9C1s were the only ones to get 3.08s.  My 96 Caprice with 2.93s averaged 24 MPG consistently, my Roadmaster limited with 2.56s averaged 26.  My Fleetwood was a 93 so it had the old TBI 350, it was in the teens in MPG.  I only ever got to run my Caprice at the track.  On a humid 100 degree day with a trunk full of luggage and a miserable 2.5 60 ft it ran a 15.8.  Given the conditions for the day and adjusting to a 2.0 60 ft I got a 14.8.  I miss my big BOF GM sedans :(

A good friend of mine's first car was one of these with the 5.7 and it was sooooooo slow it was hilarious that it would possibly have a Chevy 350 under the hood. It was such a boat and an awesome ride though, just no power to the wheels.

Your friend's was probably a 91 or 92 with the non-LT1 350.  The 93 - 96 got the LT1 and the difference is night and day. 

Your friend's was probably a 91 or 92 with the non-LT1 350.  The 93 - 96 got the LT1 and the difference is night and day. 

94-96 got the LT1.  But yes, would say a pre 94.  may have have been even worse, a TBI 305, yuck!

Yep, like drew said the D-body is basically a stretched B-Body.  As such the Roadmaster was kind of like a short wheelbase Fleetwood.  it offered almost all of the big Caddy's options in a smaller package and stuff not available on the caprice.  Point of interest.  The Fleetwood was the only B/D body sedan to offer an optional sunroof.  The Fleetwood brougham had glass headlights, were base models got plastic.  The Fleetwood offered a 3.42 axle ratio with the towing package.  Caprice and Roadmaster 2.93s and 2.56s were standard.  Impala SS and I believe 9C1s were the only ones to get 3.08s.  My 96 Caprice with 2.93s averaged 24 MPG consistently, my Roadmaster limited with 2.56s averaged 26.  My Fleetwood was a 93 so it had the old TBI 350, it was in the teens in MPG.  I only ever got to run my Caprice at the track.  On a humid 100 degree day with a trunk full of luggage and a miserable 2.5 60 ft it ran a 15.8.  Given the conditions for the day and adjusting to a 2.0 60 ft I got a 14.8.  I miss my big BOF GM sedans :(

The 93+ Fleetwood with the towing package has an equal to higher towing capacity than some full size trucks depending on their configuration.... and all mid-size trucks except the GM Canyonado with the diesel.

The 93+ Fleetwood with the towing package has an equal to higher towing capacity than some full size trucks depending on their configuration.... and all mid-size trucks except the GM Canyonado with the diesel.

True.  i think max or the Caprice/Roadmaster with towing was 5000 and the Fleetwood with the towing package was 6000 or 7000!

94-96 got the LT1.  But yes, would say a pre 94.  may have have been even worse, a TBI 305, yuck!

woops, I was off a year for the switch.

True.  i think max or the Caprice/Roadmaster with towing was 5000 and the Fleetwood with the towing package was 6000 or 7000!

Yup, fleetwood was 7,000.  There hasn't been a sedan since that was rated that high. The best currently is the Panamera with about a 5,000 lbs rating and nothing else comes close.

Most likely. It was one ugly son of a b..lol cassette deck and all. 

Just watched possibly THE BEST finish ever in a Nationwide race! Holy $h! that was an insane last two laps!

i was at work watching the live stream then when it switched over at 10 i had to ride in car with ford and listen to the imsa radio coverage. i did get to see the two cars wipe out in front of the gt though, that was cool. i wish i could have seen how the honda got in front of the 2 corvette dp's tho. guess i'll have to check the channel on youtube tomorrow!

I have come to the conclusion that I am fed up with the cliché: "he brings to the table"  

Whether a sports journalist uses it or when a sports figure says it...or anybody else for that matter that uses it no matter what context they use it in...

I. HATE. IT.

Edited by oldshurst442

I bought a selfie stick..... the things I do for you people.

Hahaha so I read.. So is the NY show this week? I so, I assume you're out that way? 

Yup. NYIAS press days are Wednesday and Thurday.  I'm in NJ today and tomorrow for work.