Random Thoughts Thread

TaurusSHO

I'll give it to Trump though, He is the first politician that I actually believe he means what he says. I feel like he is actually saying what he feels and thinks. Whether that is right or wrong is a completely different story and something not for discussion here but other than him I've felt that 100% of career politicians are liars and thieves one way or another. I just wish they would do it because they wanted to better the country as opposed to the power and money. 

This is why the people need to DEMAND that both House and Senate member become 4 year terms and you allowed a total of 2 (TWO) terms in office and back to private life having to actually work and produce for the GNP. This way House, Senate and President are all two terms and no lifers that never really care about the country, just their jobs and what they can manipulate for themselves.

0787fba4a5709399d65ca680be6cc2b3ebb85092

:metal: That is a Rockin Fire Truck! :metal:

Recently just got back into the sport of paintball. Holy $h! I forgot how fun aaaaand expensive it is! ..Now I'm looking at buying new stuff again.. 

Anybody here play????

Sled from MT plays with real guns and real live firepower.  Not toy things such as yourself. :neenerneener:

Yeah...hello CCAP :wavey:

I thought I might drop you a line.

PS: I dont do paintball. None of my friends ever got into it. A shame I think, because I dont doubt the fun part.

Edited by oldshurst442

Ran all over this morning, tapping sources / networking…. but apparently turning a brake drum is as common now as manufacturing buggy whip sockets.

I thought the first guy who told me 'no one does that anymore' was off his cracker, but by the 3rd old timer, I must believe 'tis largely true.

What a shame that the pervasiveness of the 'throw way society' has reached something with the longevity of a brake drum.

No wonder modern rotors suck (WRT longevity) and warp so readily- they're 'engineered' to be thrown away.

Still have a few feelers out there, maybe 4 possibilities, plus the first guy still has the machine, he just doesn't offer the service. Perhaps he'd allow me to set up/run the machine if I pleaded my case.

No, the drum is not available new. :(

What's better than a brand new Miata? A brand new Miata with a tuned engine. 

Nice! 

What kind of gains are to be expected with the tune? 

Not exactly sure. It's an e-tune for DD'ing. Still, it's a night and day difference. ESPECIALLY at the top end. Fuel cut-off used to be 6800 RPM. The tune raised cut-off to 7100 RPM and thanks to data-logging, I know to shift AT 6800 RPM now.  :gitfunky:

Call me crazy, but I think the tune made the car sound a little throatier, which is a huge unexpected plus. Makes the DynoMax muffer I put on just sound amazing. 

When I put it on the rollers for the performance tune, I'll put the numbers up.  :thumbsup:

To move to the mountains or not to move to the mountains, that is the true question...

I used to live in the mountains.

Clean air, small towns, real food, real people. And then I left. And then all of that was torn away, goddamn urbanization, they took ouurr jerbs!!!

I've looked into living in the mountains and doing remote gigs.  Problem is the places in the mountains I really like (Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, other Co mountain towns) can be really expensive...even the smaller, less touristy places in the Rockies aren't cheap...

internet stories can be depressing... like a guy mating a 67 firebird to a 2014 prius frame and power train...(granted the bird had a long way to go to be made new in the floor area...)

firebird1.jpg

http://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/someone-is-dropping-a-1967-firebird-convertible-body-onto-a-prius-chassis-this-is-painful/

but then you see stuff that makes you happy. like a guy that bought a restored power wagon and decided it was just too nice to use for a snow plow and has thus sent it off to greener pastures where it will hopefully be cruised and used for fun instead

00M0M_aTYqXXRrKsI_600x450.jpg

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5432577784.html

• Agree 1

About the Firebird convertible body shell mated to the Prius platform:

I dont have a problem with it. Restoration of classic muscle cars with modern electrification platforms is the next step of classic car survival for the 21st century.

What I do have a problem with is the usage of a Toyota Prius powertrain.

A Firebird deserves something like a Tesla platform and powertrain.

A Corvair or a Nova might be a nicer Prius or Volt platformed electrified muscle car.

A 1st generation Barracuda too.

A Ford Falcon...

All those would make nicer Prius or Volt platformed electrified muscle cars.

A Firebird does not hum hum hum merrily along......

A Firebird, needs to be rising up from the ashes..like a bat outta hell...

But I like the idea non-the-less.

Edited by oldshurst442

Recently just got back into the sport of paintball. Holy $h! I forgot how fun aaaaand expensive it is! ..Now I'm looking at buying new stuff again.. 

Anybody here play????

Sled from MT plays with real guns and real live firepower.  Not toy things such as yourself. :neenerneener:

Yeah...hello CCAP :wavey:

I thought I might drop you a line.

PS: I dont do paintball. None of my friends ever got into it. A shame I think, because I dont doubt the fun part.

Dang, I forgot about Sled. I liked that gent. Seemed like a good and level headed guy. I wish there was a way to reach out to him to invite him over here.

I'd love to get into real firearms I just don't have somewhere reasonably priced to shoot often so it isn't with buying too many with no place to shoot whenever I'd like to.

Paintball is a blast! I highly suggest going snd trying it on a Saturday or Sunday with an "open play". Rent a gun and mask..and get after it. It can get real expensive real quick to just get into it but I found there is a HUGE used market where you can get very good equipment for very reasonable prices.

You should find a small group of guys(and/or girls) and go sometime! I don't know how old your kids are but it would be a good way to get them into gun safety as well as having a good time. I just hope your local fields are ran well and they don't let the experienced players just run through people. That's teally the biggest issue with new people is the experienced people almost won't play "fair" because they just know the fields and how to play and light up the new people in turn discouraging them on their first day. We went to a great place last weekend that they would rebalance the team's if they got lopsided. I don't mind losing but I don't like to get smoked right away, in every match.

I know the feeling Balth.

I've gutted all kinds of bicycles, high-eng low-end, from the 40s (yeah, those Sturmey Archer Equipped bikes are just a treat) to some of the best of today...and you see how there's just so little metal.

They have the material right up to a limit, and there's no unstressed material, which reduces weight, but nothing is forgiving, or can accept lack of maintenance.

I have a bottom Bracket on my '94 Giant that has seen maybe 40,000 kms by now. 

I pulled it apart last year, saw how the bearings were like floating in their retainer, you could with minimal force pluck them right out, and the spindle is so smooth over years of abusive riding. In fact, I've been told that the only way such a BB can fail if it's maintained is that the spindle will eventually crack by the float that exists once both the spindle and bearings wear down. Or the bearings will munch through the retainer, or the cup will crack, get sucked in and grenade the BB parts and require a new BB.

40,000 km's to go!!

I dont have a problem with it. Restoration of classic muscle cars with modern electrification platforms is the next step of classic car survival for the 21st century.

How do you figure??

There is a incredible supply of engines to build, plus built aftermarket engines, plus OEM crate engines.

One could weld new floors in a rotted Firebird in 2 days, vs. the months & months of trying to make a prius undercarriage fit into a hollowed out Firebird. It's fine if the goal is to spend countless hours 'making things fit' but beyond that, there's really no point to it.

And a Pontiac should have a Pontiac (or GM at least) engine ONLY.

• Agree 1

What I do have a problem with is the usage of a Toyota Prius powertrain.

A Firebird deserves something like a Tesla platform and powertrain.

A Corvair or a Nova might be a nicer Prius or Volt platformed electrified muscle car.

A 1st generation Barracuda too.

A Ford Falcon...

All those would make nicer Prius or Volt platformed electrified muscle cars.

A Firebird does not hum hum hum merrily along......

A Firebird, needs to be rising up from the ashes..like a bat outta hell...

But I like the idea non-the-less.

You need to warsh your mouth out with soap.

• Disagree 1

Random observation--I noticed this morning the wiper blades on my sister's Trax..the left one is at least twice the length of the right one.  I guess that is because the windshield is relatively narrow yet rather tall...

I've looked into living in the mountains and doing remote gigs.  Problem is the places in the mountains I really like (Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, other Co mountain towns) can be really expensive...even the smaller, less touristy places in the Rockies aren't cheap...

But that's the Rockies. I'm looking at the foothills in NC. There are a lot of great houses in the area I'm looking at that are tremendous values.

• Agree 1

internet stories can be depressing... like a guy mating a 67 firebird to a 2014 prius frame and power train...(granted the bird had a long way to go to be made new in the floor area...)

firebird1.jpg

http://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/someone-is-dropping-a-1967-firebird-convertible-body-onto-a-prius-chassis-this-is-painful/

but then you see stuff that makes you happy. like a guy that bought a restored power wagon and decided it was just too nice to use for a snow plow and has thus sent it off to greener pastures where it will hopefully be cruised and used for fun instead

00M0M_aTYqXXRrKsI_600x450.jpg

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5432577784.html

I disagree, I think the Prius thing is very interesting.Certainly its unorthodox but that's part of the allure. Anyone can shove a big crate motor into an old car. It's been done millions of times. When people think outside the box, now that's cool. Of course it could end up looking terrible especially when you consider how he plans to handle the wheelbase differences, but it could end up being quite something.

That Power Wagon is cool too. Can't remember the last time I saw that body style with an extended cab.

Yeah, that's because I lived in Colorado over a decade..I know the Rockies, but don't know about NC.

Nothing in Colorado is cheap unless you live in the sticks. North Carolina is pretty cheap if you don't live near the six biggest cities (Raleigh, Durham, Wilmington, Charlotte, Asheville, or Greensboro). Everything generally outside the counties that those cities reside in are usually amazing values. Luckily, one of my company's biggest locations in NC is in Hickory, the city I'm looking at. Not much goes on there, which is kind of what I'm looking for. Low crime, a rising economy, and cheap housing are among the many benefits of living there. Oh, and the roads. Oh my god the roads are amazing up there.

But that's the Rockies. I'm looking at the foothills in NC. There are a lot of great houses in the area I'm looking at that are tremendous values.

NC is one of my favorite places to visit! being in anderson sc im only about 2 hours from some of the best places in NC. my grandparents had a place in spruce pine north carolina which is in mitchell county. beautiful country and its quiet to boot. we go hiking in NC all the time. linville gorge is a must if you are into the outdoors!

The non-press photos and the Miata in person look so nice.

Man... whenever I'm around Mazda vehicle these days I think of top trimmed Fords and Buicks and I wonder, in terms of style, Mazda is just off the charts.

I think the Buick Cascada, like the Fiat should have been based on a Mazda. That would have been a fitting RWD, affordable, Buick Roadster.

Even Ed Welburn and his disciple who works for Bentley love Mazda design. 

How do you figure??

There is a incredible supply of engines to build, plus built aftermarket engines, plus OEM crate engines.

One could weld new floors in a rotted Firebird in 2 days, vs. the months & months of trying to make a prius undercarriage fit into a hollowed out Firebird. It's fine if the goal is to spend countless hours 'making things fit' but beyond that, there's really no point to it.

And a Pontiac should have a Pontiac (or GM at least) engine ONLY.

With all kinds of EPA laws  regarding old cars and their engines and emissions and all kinds of States and Provinces limiting this type of hobby to where only modern new crate engines are gonna be allowed from GM and Ford, the pickin's to engines are slim...let me explain, LS swaps are cool and all, but everybody does those in everything imaginable. Coyote engine swaps are less popular, but eventually, people will tire and be bored with LS swaps and will gravitate to the Coyote or Hemi...eventually, but that leaves only 3 choices: GM, Ford, Mopar....and lets be honest, most people put Mopar engines in Mopars, and Fprd engines in Fords....but LS swaps go everywhere, including Fords...

Mopars are the only ones that stay pure...

But LS engines go into Porsches....even Ferraris...

That means that the Chevy Small Block is over saturated...

That means that muscle car guys need to do something new...

Toyota Supra Twin turbo inline Six  in Camaros have been done at least once...but electric engines have been done a  couple of times gaining more popularity...therefore...

Culture Shock!

ELECTRIC SHOCK!

From the Cobra video

When you think of a Cobra, you think of speed...

Hot Rodding takes on many facets...engine swaps are one of those...

4 cylinder Model Ts swapped with Ford Flathead V8s...

That is old school.

New school equals big 'ol V8s swapped with Those Who Want To Rock with TnT, Its Dynomite,  (Oi Oi Oi) and I salute them!!!  AC/DC

You mentioned hours on end trying to fit a muscle car body on some sport of electric platform...

Like I said, Hot Rodding takes on many forms...

Lead Sleds:

9e511d476e001a4557c5ad885e80c898.jpg

Chopped, lowered, pinstripped,

Many hours taken to accomplish this...sometimes botched and gaps were filled with lead hence the name...

Hot Rodders have no concept of time. The only thing they understand of time as that it will take as long as it takes to finish the project.

And I know I just stepped in a boundary that is YOUR expertise, and Im sorry if I sound condescending, I dont mean to be, because I respect you very very much, but I want to prove my point and this is the best way I could think of to prove my point about the worthiness of my opinion that electric motors are gonna be the next step for classic muscle cars to roam our streets as LS engine swaps are a dime a dozen now-a-days another Hot Rodding facet is uniqueness, and electric motors are unique at this stage...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Disagree 1

1938GMC02.jpg

Is that a Pontiac engine block?

And does that pic have anything to do with our conversation regarding EV motors and LS swaps and classic muscle cars but as a random thought as to defy the opinion that I have regarding classic muscle cars and EV engine swaps but done so with absolute stealth as to not offend me?

Because I sometimes post  stuff  that way as to not offend the posters I respect a lot. Im curious to see if we have that in common...

Or is it just because you love Poncho engines...because I know you love Poncho engines.

Anyhoo, I like the pic.

And dont mind me...Im quite emotional lately. There is a void in my heart that only a momma could fill.

I really don't care how I get my torque, whether it comes from a V8, turbo-4, or spinney magnet thingy..... all it has to do is provide the twist instantly and as quietly as possible. 

After watching a few clips of that Terry Gene Bollea sex tape trial and him wearing his bandana  like he is in character....I have the urge to reply to you in agreement with this:

4b59915ecce0dee4bfa3f60680308695e4491ea4

But regarding American V8 engines in muscle cars from America...Id prefer to hear the splendid noise they make as loud as legally possible.

..because I want everybody to see how awesome this is...

3028AA51-03F5-4A94-BCBD-9FB7CB46E3F1_zps

And this because I thought it was comical.

CB829375-3FDD-4D8C-ACC2-C1254DF1E9E0_zps

I agree, it looks quite nice, and the materials were awesome.

But I like the way the MKX interior looks way more. Like wayyyy more. Like huuugely more.

2016_lincoln_mkx_37_1920x1080.jpg

• Agree 1

What are you rambling about?

That's an MKX interior.

Oh I get it, some people think it looks like a Ford interior. I gotta say, other than that the screen, about nothing is shared. The Lincoln MKX interior has been lauded because it looks classy and simple. Even MT liked it. Autoguide liked it. And I like it too.

And I like simple classy design. Also, the matter burl wood trim. It's something I think Lincoln must have paid Bentley to get, because it's damn good for a vehicle at any price.

• Agree 1

Yes, it's quite clearly an MKX interior, from the steering wheel Lincoln badge, to the separate gauge pod pad, to the different vent shape (Fusion center stack vents are wider and shorter), and countless other detail differences..

• Agree 1

Yes, it's quite clearly an MKX interior, from the steering wheel Lincoln badge, to the separate gauge pod pad, to the different vent shape (Fusion center stack vents are wider and shorter), and countless other detail differences..

Maybe BLU needs arrows in that pic to pin point the differences between the Lincoln and the Ford.

A small taunting on my part that compliments another ribbing that I did to him regarding arrows and fart cans.

new-kanye-shrug-gif-688.gif

• Agree 1

Is that a Pontiac engine block?

And does that pic have anything to do with our conversation regarding EV motors and LS swaps and classic muscle cars but as a random thought as to defy the opinion that I have regarding classic muscle cars and EV engine swaps but done so with absolute stealth as to not offend me?

Because I sometimes post  stuff  that way as to not offend the posters I respect a lot. Im curious to see if we have that in common...

Or is it just because you love Poncho engines...because I know you love Poncho engines.

Ya : my pic is of a Pontiac engine block. Actually found in a GMC; GMC bought them from Pontiac but of course did not see the point of grinding off the Indian Head casting.

I do love me some Pontiac engine.

It was randomly random, not a covert response to the current narrative.

Thanx Balthy for the response.

I did not mean anything by that post...Like I said, Im just a tad emotional and reading into things too much, but with no negativity on my mind both here in the forums and in real life.

Here's a cyber hug; hope it makes things a tiny bit better!

(    )

• Agree 1

Thanx Balthy for the response.

I did not mean anything by that post...Like I said, Im just a tad emotional and reading into things too much, but with no negativity on my mind both here in the forums and in real life.

Here's a cyber hug; hope it makes things a tiny bit better!

(    )

17824911238852792170.jpg

And this because I thought it was comical.

CB829375-3FDD-4D8C-ACC2-C1254DF1E9E0_zps

But I like the way the MKX interior looks way more. Like wayyyy more. Like huuugely more.

Not exactly and apples to apples comparison though when one pic is an amateur shot (which reveals the many hands that have touched that screen) versus a staged studio shot. Just sayin'.

2017-xt5-interior-gallery-front-seats-12

15650938564_b18134dc43_b.jpg

Maybe BLU needs arrows in that pic to pin point the differences between the Lincoln and the Ford.

A small taunting on my part that compliments another ribbing that I did to him regarding arrows and fart cans.

new-kanye-shrug-gif-688.gif

It's OK, Suave understood what I was trying to do with my Fusion interior comment.  However some of our fellow commenters missed the joke entirely, going so far as to seriously point out that his post of an MKX interior was actually, indeed, an MKX.  ;)  AND... OMG, look how craptastically orange and cheap that "wood" trim looks in surreal's photo above!  :roflmao:

Not exactly and apples to apples comparison though when one pic is an amateur shot (which reveals the many hands that have touched that screen) versus a staged studio shot. Just sayin'.

2017-xt5-interior-gallery-front-seats-12

15650938564_b18134dc43_b.jpg

VERY good out Surreal.

Either way, I think the Caddy's interior looks sharper(no pun intended). I like the lines and angles as opposed to the curves and flowing-ness of the Lincoln. Neither looks bad at all to me I think I just like the "tiers" of the Cadillac and the silver/aluminum strip braking up the dash north/south. I do know that the LOOKS of either interior wouldn't stop me from buying the vehicle I'd prefer to DRIVE the most, which ever that may be.  Also, kind of random, where are the cup holders in the Caddy? Does that ~4inch x 10-12inch piece open up for a two-cup cup holder? It looks really clean while closed but I'm not sure how often something like that would be closed. Most keep a phone or something in those and it would be open the whole time. I'm curious how it looks open.

I'm just surprised Cadillac doesn't have anything to compete with the 2.7 in the MKX, yet. I heard there's a possibility of the new 3.0tt but I wish they would have done something at launch.